FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Don't feed the trolls (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Don't feed the trolls
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but I don't want him either, Dags.

Looks like you're getting picked last during Hatrack gym class, Chad.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Can we pretty-please with sugar on it go back to using the lovely bold and italic features when we wish to emphasis something? Please? All this all-caps is getting very old. Plus, I think people tend to get more annoyed when you use all caps then when you use bold... it just comes across as rude.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see it that way.

I AGREE THAT IT COMES ACROSS AS OBNOXIOUS WHEN YOU TYPE IN ALL CAPS.

But if you are JUST capitilizing to emphasize some of the words, I don't really see any difference between using some of the other emphasis techniques.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's the overuse of emphasis that gets annoying (and diminishes the effectiveness) whichever style is used.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Good point.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

All-caps is more difficult to read than the other options. Your brain processes the shape of a word as well as the actual letter combinations, so you read common words that you recognize the shape of much, much faster than other words that you actually have to look at the letters. When you use all-caps, the words are all the same shape (rectangular) and just different lengths. Most style books have sections on this... but frankly I'm just paraphrasing my mother.

In other words, all-caps hurts my eyes. [Razz] And what dkw said

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Personally, I'm a fan of being lazy and emphasizing words like *this*.
ElJay
Member # 6358

I spent too much time on ISCA bbs in the late-80s/early-90s, where astricks indicated action. Like *hug* or *giggle*. I still think that way. But it works, too.
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
When I saw him START lecturing Dagonee on LEGAL TERMS, I was pretty SURE we were ABOUT to see him start DISSECTING his own PANCREAS.

I was FASCINATED.

ElJay's right that all-caps is more jarring than other emphases, and dkw's correct that any overuse is bad use. TomD is also correct that some of the strongest political consciences tend to come in flaming, but those that stay seem to find ways of being effective at getting their points across.

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

And Sara just likes agreeing with people.

[Wink]

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, yeah. And train wrecks. *grin

I've finally (finally) figured out that I have to apply the same frame of reference I rely on in visiting my family in Indiana to reading some posts or even threads here. That is, don the social scientist's garb and sit back: "Why, I do say, what extremely odd behavior."

The emotional distance smoothes out the cognitive dissonance quite nicely.

FASCINATING.

[ September 21, 2004, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Calling somebody a troll might be obnoxious and pointless, but it's not really trollish.
Wikipedia entry for internet troll

quote:
On the Internet, troll is a slang term used to describe:

1. A post (on a newsgroup, or other forum) that is solely intended to incite controversy or conflict or cause annoyance or offense. (Many posts may inadvertently cause strife as collateral damage, but they are not trolls.)
2. A person who posts these.

By the proper definition, what Stroman doing is not trolling either. His posts are intended to commuicate opinion, not "solely intend to incite controversy" etc. Calling someone a troll is much closer to this definition (since it could be considered intentionally causing offence) than what Stroman is doing.

It's fairly common for the proper definition to be ignored though, and for Jatraqueros to call anyone doing anything they consider annoying a troll.

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate that, though, Sara - needing to put on the distance and armor.

Fortunately, it's not needed all the time, only occasionally. The times that it isn't makes the times that it is worth it.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Whereas Xap here never uses a word improperly, nor applies a generality unfairly. [Wink]

Seriously, Tres, you don't have to play Devil's Advocate ALL the time; it just makes you tiresome.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
Proper is, by definition, however I use a term. [Wink]

And the devil wouldn't need an advocate if he didn't keep getting mistreated!

[ September 21, 2004, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: Xaposert ]

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
*licks the cookie*
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
TomD is also correct that some of the strongest political consciences tend to come in flaming, but those that stay seem to find ways of being effective at getting their points across.
Wait...wasn't that me?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Cookies? Where?

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was me but I realized I have still never learned how to get my points across. In anything.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I like emphasizing things with capitals. It amuses me for some reason.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Who's this Chad guy?

Is he hot?

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I'm not hot. But it appears by the name calling that I'm a troll, ignorant and a phallus.

Oh, I guess I'm also British.

Oh and a nincompoop.

And I'm supposed to care what they think....(but I think it at least makes them feel better about themselves, so I'm happy) [Wink]

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh.

We need more hot guys.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We need more hot guys.
Yeah. We don't want Ralphie to start hitting on me, instead.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaeron
Member # 744

- posted      Profile for Chaeron   Email Chaeron         Edit/Delete Post 
I say he's a freeper, sent to destroy us. His mission: to remove from the internet any place where political debate is above the level of semi-coherent talking point shouting matches.
Posts: 1769 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
But Kama...we want to watch. [Wink]
Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
TomD is also correct that some of the strongest political consciences tend to come in flaming, but those that stay seem to find ways of being effective at getting their points across.
One of these days I'll manage to join the ranks of these fine people...
Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

Chad, you are overcalling it. Just because I speak British in my head doesn't mean I'm calling you British. I am, however, pretty sure you are accustomed to being inflammatory and than acting as if you have no idea what is going on when people call you on it.

Disingenuity reminds me of my ex-husband, and my ex-husband brings out the British in me.

Make an effort to figure out how to interact in this already-established community in a civil way, and we can be friends. Keep up with the heavy disingenuity, and I'll view you from afar. I don't know your address or telephone number, and I don't care to -- I certainly don't care to follow you around and cause you ill in your life.

I'm only interested in interacting with people who share both authenticity and civility with me, and beyond that, I leave people alone. You've had your trial by fire here, and now you have a lot of people watching. You seem like a passionate soul and may well be a pleasant enough guy, who knows?

I hope we can be civil friends, but if your definition of civility and authenticity ends up being very different from mine, then we can just stay out of each other's way. That works, too.

Speaking of the voices in my head, this is an embarrassing point -- Noemon, I "hear" your words in exactly, exactly the same voice as I hear TomD's when I read you. I'm not sure why, and I cannot shake it. Some brain glitch. The same for Anne Kate and Theca -- from the point of view of my brain, they are the same person. [Dont Know]

I'm sorry for the misattribution. Yes, I believe it was you that said it. [Embarrassed]

[ September 22, 2004, 09:31 AM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.