FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » IQ Test (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: IQ Test
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I misstated: mack's reply, though correct to a point, is incomplete. [Smile]
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

quote:
You have a ten centimeter by ten centimeter square with a flap on the top edge. Unfolding this flap reveals a second flap, and unfolding this second flap reveals a third, as shown. If there are an infinite number of these flaps, what is the area of the entire figure (in square centimeters) when they are all unfolded?
What is a "flap" exactly? I mean, I understand it's a flap of folded-over paper, but how wide is it?

"as shown" where?

This is an infinite series problem, but I think I need more specifics to answer it . . . at least, I'm too lazy to think about it much until I know more.

[ May 01, 2004, 01:58 AM: Message edited by: Megachirops ]

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
*spies a cloud on the horizon*

*calls out below*

"if ya'll could stop deliberating, maybe we could get this showboat on the road!"

err... sea, I mean.

*pulls nearest leg*

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
At least it wasn't a finger.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
doh!
Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

Three Little Words

Crud. It cuts out right before the refrain! [Grumble]

[ May 01, 2004, 02:10 AM: Message edited by: Megachirops ]

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Which was?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

Okay, I seem to have found the song in its entirety.

Of course, it's a two or three minute download, and I'm not sure it's totally legal, althought the site I found it on had a link to the band's own page, so [Dont Know] (I'll delete it if you think I should.)

A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
On the flap one ... if there are an infinite number of flaps, and you are unfolding them one at a time, then there is no such thing as a time when you've got them all unfolded.
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
We have to have a diagram for the "flap." Is it the same size as the original 10 cm square? Half the size?

Assuming the flap is at all smaller than the original, and each succeding flap is smaller than the previous one by any amount, the total area will be finite. The exact number will vary with the ratio of each flap to the preceeding one.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
The weight may stay still, go down, or go up, depending on how the monkey climbs. Assuming that the rope is taut, if the monkey climbs in a way such that he keeps the rope taut (he maintains the original distance from the pulley) the weight will not move. If he climbs in such a way that the rope is pulled (he increases his distance from the pulley), he is imparting energy on the sysem, and the weight will move the exact same distance closer to the pulley. Vice versa if the monkey moves in some manner towards the pulley (he is implicitly reducing he Potential Energy with respect to the monkey-pulley-weight system). This is all because this situation is a closed system.

Of course, if the monkey is frictionless as well (which it would have to be or else you'd have to take that into account as he climbed), then the monkey couldn't climb at all.

So I claim the weight won't move, no matter how hard the monkey tries to climb.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
I assumed the flap was the same size because he didn't specify how much the flap is compared to the previous. if each one gets a fraction of the length of the previous then the solution is:
100 / (1 - x) where x is the fraction of the length of one flap / the length of the previous flap.

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

Bok, how tongue-in-cheek is your answer? [Confused]

How many different ways to climb are there?

(And did you notice I already looked up the answer to this specific question?)

Dagonee
Member # 5818

MEC - I just ran this out to 63,000+ terms (Excel is a wonderful tool) and it's not even close to the formula you gave. And all numbers in at least the last 2000 are 0 to 12 decimal places.

Here are the results

code:
RATIO               TOTAL AREA
1/10 101.0101010101010
1/5 104.1666666666670
1/4 106.6666666666670
1/3 112.5000000000000
1/2 133.3333333333330
2/3 180.0000000000000
3/4 228.5714285714290
4/5 277.7777777777780
9/10 526.3157894736850
.99 5025.1256281406800
.999 50025.0125016523000

The relationship between .9 and .99 is particularly intriguing.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

Um, are you sure your figures are right? with 1/10 it would be 100 + 10 + 1 + .1 escentally 111.111 with 1 repedeated forever, the same thing my equation gives.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

I think you're reducing both length and width rather than just length.
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
My assumption, as an uneducated sort of person, is that under normal circumstances (ie, barring all weird methods of climbing), the weight will rise together with the ape.

Reason is, Newton's law. When you apply force to the rope, you will experience an equal and opposite force yourself. Whenever the ape pulls on the rope, both he and the weight experience the same exact force.

If the ape were heavier than the weight, and standing on the ground, pulling down on the rope would cause the weight to rise while the ape stayed put, because the pulling force necessary to lift the weight would not be enough to lift the ape.

If the ape were lighter than the weight, and if the weight were sitting on the ground, then the ape would rise and the weight would stay put, because the force necessary to lift the ape would not be enough to lift the weight.

Since both are balanced midair, when the force of the ape's pull on the rope is applied to both, neither will weigh enough to resist the force and support the other's independent motion, so both will rise together at half the rate.

I know it lacks a physicist's flair, but it makes sense to me.

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

Simply put I turned the sumation, 100/(x)^n when n starts at 0 and goes to infinity, into an equation through calculus.

Edit: sp

[ May 01, 2004, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: MEC ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

I was acting under the assumption that the flap remained square, which explains the difference in our numbers.

Again, without a diagram, we just don't know.

Dagonee

MEC
Member # 2968

if it remains square the eqation is then 100 / (1 - x^2)

Edit: to make equation clearer

[ May 01, 2004, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: MEC ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Cool. Formula matches my results.

Excellent.

Dagonee

Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the problem for me is that it's very difficult for me to imagine a pulley with no friction. All the real-world examples you can pull from your head utilize the friction of the pulley.
Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

Sun, the pulley is really just a distraction. Imagine an ape and a weight suspended in a gravityless vacuum, connected by a rope. If the ape "climbs" the rope, it will move forward along the rope, but the weight will simultaneously get pulled toward the ape.
Suneun
Member # 3247

I understand that, my first choice was that the weight goes up.

but I still contend that part of the reason it's difficult to me is that I'm used to friction pulleys.

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

Yeah. Both questions, as stated, are nonsense, and require interpretation. A pulley with no friction makes no sense; my interpretation of "frictionless" was that they meant to say a pulley that had 100% efficiency, where a certain amount of force wasn't required simply to put it in motion. In other words, with a real pulley, two objects that don't weight exactly the same could remain in equilibrium if the differential wasn't enough to overcome the pulley's own inertia. I vaguely remember there was a word for this, but not what.
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
try this way, Sun...

if the ape and weigth are perfectly balanced at rest. no matter what the internal friction of the pulley, the ape must experience an *increase* in the upward force applied by the rope if he is to move upwards. This increase willl be transmitted throught the rope to the weight and make it move upward as well. If the pulley has friction, it will interfere with (eat up some of) that force, but it will not prevent some of it from being passed on to the weight.

Make more sense that way?

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

actually i think the weight goes upward and the ape stays in place.
Suneun
Member # 3247

hmmm... though there's a chance that the ape goes downwards, actually. if you take two equal weights on a pulley (frictionless, at that) at two different heights, then the lower one would go down wouldn't it?

so as soon as the ape shortens the rope and the other side goes up a little, the ape would start going downwards.

Either way, i'm heading out the door so you will have to respond without me to respond.

MEC
Member # 2968

The ape does go down, but at a rate half of the rate he's going up.
MEC
Member # 2968

Here's a fun "IQ test". and it's only a few questions.

I got a perfect on my first try.

[ May 01, 2004, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: MEC ]

Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
For ever action there is an equal and opposite reaction. If the monkey pulls down on the rope, trying to climb up, the weight will rise.

I also made a little picture in MSPaint. It doesn't help at all, but it was entertaining to draw for a couple minutes. I was trying to see if I could do alright with my little trackpad, as I don't have my mouse with me.
http://s88345032.onlinehome.us/images/pulley.gif

Edit: 500 cm^2 ?
code:
| |

| |

| |

| |

| |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |

Isn't that the biggest it could ever get?

[ May 01, 2004, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: Nato ]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
(this is suneun) Sorry, my ape going downwards depended on the rope having weight. And since the rope doesn't, the ape doesn't go down.

Still pretty split on whether the ape goes upwards or remains in place. Don't mind me, carry on.

Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd just like to point out that jehovoid's analogy on the previous page with the two rockets is exactly correct. All the pulley does is change the direction of the tension in the rope, so if you replace gravity with thrust from rocket engines (assuming you could keep the thrust going forever, and neglecting change in mass from the exhaust) you get exactly the same situation. Except for the fact that a rocket is not an orangutan.

From this point it should be pretty clear that the rocket doing the pulling is pulling itself and other other rocket closer to the system's center of gravity at an equal speed, which is half the relative speed of the pulling rocket and the rope.

This isn't rocket science, folks. [Wink]

Edited to add: imagine you and a friend are playing tug of war. In a pond. In innertubes. You pull the rope. You and your friend both float closer to the midpoint between you. Now, same situation, but you're both kicking away from each other equally. Voila (or viola as some would say).

[ May 01, 2004, 11:13 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

Enough of this monkey buisness. (sorry I couldn't resist)
Pericles
Member # 5943

- posted      Profile for Pericles           Edit/Delete Post 
For more exciting arguments and theories based one these example of questions, quickly go to www.highiqsociety.org . This is where I went to to find out my iq. To join the high iq society you need at least an iq of 120 to qualify, and even then its not free...so I didn't join. But the free iq tests are fun and the puzzles are brain rattling. Have fun and post your IQ's. Let the "Member in Hatrack with the Highest Intelligence of 2004" begin... huff huff...

Pericles
p.s (I qualified for the "special" division. I feel "special")

Posts: 52 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

I was wondering, if the rope is massless and the ape exertes energy to climb, wouldn't it then burn calories climbing, effectivly reducing it's weight, and causeing the mass to fall?
Dagonee
Member # 5818

MEC: the ape is 100% efficient.

Good for physics ponderables, bad for dieting.

Dagonee

[ May 02, 2004, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

MEC
Member # 2968

But just because it's 100% efficent doesn't mean it doesn't use energy. It just means that none of it goes to waste, right?
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Man, nothing ruins a good joke like insistence on precise scientific wording.

Party pooper.

Dagonee

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Just because the ape used up energy doesn't mean that his mass will have decreased. It's just that his chemical composition will have changed, but no mass.

Of course, he has to breathe, and will constantly be losing H20, and therefore mass. Unless he's wearing a space suit. [Smile]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

And then he'd eventually run out of air in the suit, die, and fall of the rope.

Pericles, I took the "Ultimate IQ" test on their site. And a lot of the questions didn't provide enough information. Anyway, I scored a 150 on the test, I'm in the highly gifted catagory.

[ May 02, 2004, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: MEC ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

That's exactly what I got on the verbal test.

Dagonee

MEC
Member # 2968

I just tried the verbal. Only got a 120. Guess I'm only above average on verbal...
MEC
Member # 2968

And now the culture one: 140, gifted(1 point away from higly gifted).
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it me, or is a site that thinks the SATs correlate that well to IQ scores highly suspect?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

rivka, please. We're trying to maintain our illusions, not shatter them. [Smile]
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Terribly sorry. Ignore the woman behind the curtain.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

There's no place like my carefully maintained mental construct.

MEC
Member # 2968

Here's a list of some other IQ groups and their average acceptance rate:

Mensa
www.mensa.org
2%

Internel
www.internel-iq.org
1%

The Top One Percent Society (TOPS)
www.eskimo.com/~miyaguch/tops.html
1%

Colloquy
steveheller.com/colloquy
0.5%

Poetic Genius Society
www.poeticgenius.com
0.5%

The Cerebrals Society
www.cerebrals.com
0.3%

The International Society for Philosophical Enquiry (ISPE)
www.thethousand.com
0.1%

Triple Nine Society
www.triplenine.org
0.1%

The One-in-a-Thousand Society (OATHS)
www.eskimo.com/~miyaguch/oath.html
0.1%

The IQuadrivium Society
s-2000.com/iquadrivium
0.1%

The Prometheus Society
www.prometheussociety.org
0.003%

UltraNet
www.megafoundation.org/Ultranet
0.003%

The Mega Society
www.megasociety.org
0.00001%

The Giga Society
www.gigasociety.org
0.0000001%

[ May 02, 2004, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: MEC ]

Pericles
Member # 5943

- posted      Profile for Pericles           Edit/Delete Post 
You guys are so intelligent. Way out of my league. Maybe by "special" you think I meant super intelligent. By special I meant "special-education" or "special olympics" "special". I only scored 129. I mean I'm sixteen and I ONLY SCORED 129!!!

(Excuse me while I wallow in self pity)

Pericles [Wall Bash]

Posts: 52 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.