FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » what shows do you wish were still on TV? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: what shows do you wish were still on TV?
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Wrong? Are you saying you think Seinfeld was actually funny? [Razz]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DocCoyote
Member # 5612

- posted      Profile for DocCoyote   Email DocCoyote         Edit/Delete Post 
Northern Exposure.

Every character was a treasure.

Posts: 230 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
The Muppet Show
Doctor Who (yep, I've heard they're FINALLY making new episodes... after, what, being off the air for 15 years? ack...)

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second the last two. Northern Exposure and the Muppet Show.

and Pinky and the Brain before it got corrupted.

[Cry]

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I second Northern Exposure, News Radio, Early Edition, and Remington Steele

I add:
Scarecrow and Mrs. King
Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

I'd like to take a pause and remember the brief, though long-cult lived, brilliance of Fawlty Towers. *sobs* Were that there were more of them. *sniffle*

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to love The Father Dowling Mysteries when I was little. And the A-Team. I'd love to watch either of those again and see if I still liked them.
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with Northern Exposure - the last season was trash. After the jewish doctor left, everything went downhill.
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
That certainly is where Northern Exposure juped the shark.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoberTillNoon
Member # 6170

- posted      Profile for SoberTillNoon   Email SoberTillNoon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Gilligan's Island
MASH

(ok, these are still on, but very rarely)

Umm, where do you live. It is a joke in my house that if there is nothing else on, you are sure to find MASH.

Anywho, my wish is Babylon 5.

Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wussy Actor
Member # 5937

- posted      Profile for Wussy Actor   Email Wussy Actor         Edit/Delete Post 
Hear, hear on Sports Night Prolix and Miro, That was my favorite show ever. I'm still mad at all you people that never watched it, causing it to be cancelled. I also thought Viva Variety on Comedy Central was really funny.
Posts: 288 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Jon, News Radio was indeed a great show. [Smile]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Jimmy James and Joe Rogan's character cracked me up - the rest were funny, but not exceptional. Those two were a riot.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
-WONDERFALLS.

-I wish FREAKS & GEEKS had gone on to complete a season (let alone a year or two more), but to still be on now would have both the Freaks and Geeks out of high school. Which would be kind of pointless, hence the creator's other show UNDECLARED, which I didn't even hear about until it was too late.

-THE OFFICE is comic brilliance. Wayy too short a run.

-As was SPORTS NIGHT

I also really enjoyed Quantum Leap and Early Edition of what I saw of them. EARLY EDITION I only saw the first couple seasons, and will happily buy any DVD set that comes out. I'm also HIGHLY anticipating the forthcoming QUANTUM LEAP dvd release.

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
The Sifl & Olly Show
The Muppet Show
Wonderfalls
Nowhere Man (minus the marred, "okay, we know we are being cancelled" last 4-6 episodes)

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Mythquest. Whatever happened to that show, dang it all?
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
Sports Night

and

Titus

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Seinfeld was and is funny. Often hysterical. So sez me [Razz]

Let me think. Batman: The Animated Series, Babylon 5, Star Trek: TNG, Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman, Futurama, Family Guy. There are numerous documentaries that don't get aired enough for my tastes, and I wish they'd make more of them, too.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish that I could watch all of PBS' Novas. They still show Nova on Saturdays, but it's never the older historical ones.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexa
Member # 6285

- posted      Profile for Alexa           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe no-one has mentioned "Night Rider" or "Airwolf"--two of the best in my experience! I still have fond memories and dreams of the yellow glowing missiles that Airwolf shot, and how every explosion in each show looked the same.
Posts: 1034 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
Friends (just kidding)

Doggy Fizzle Televizzle (not kidding. I love Snoop Dogg. This show was hilarious. At least as funny as Chapelle's show.)

Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Umm, where do you live. It is a joke in my house that if there is nothing else on, you are sure to find MASH.
Ok, the Hallmark channel plays it. But usually late at night when I'm not watching.

quote:
Is Newsradio still on anywhere? I seem to remember it being on some cable channel for a while. I miss that show.
I loved that show!

and how 'bout:
The Red Green Show
Pinky and the Brain
Popeye
Road Runner
and all the other "good 'ol" cartoons

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
Newsradio is on the Biography Channel.

The Red Green Show is still on.

Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Buffy (before the show jumped the shark)
Angel (pre-cordie-n-conner :gag:)
FIREFLY!!!
Wonderfalls
Crusade (DAMN YOU TNT! Let an episode run before you cancel it!)
TNG (though I thought the galactic speed limit was a shark jumping moment)
The ORIGINAL star trek. Not in production now, of course, but I wish it had run it's full 7 seasons instead of 3.

Oh, How could i forget The Tick? "Villians! Cut out all that EVIL!"
I would say Bab5 because it was possibly my favorite show, but that book is over. We just need another series in the same universe. Like Crusade was.

[ May 03, 2004, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: The Pixiest ]

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Porteiro Head, I used to work at a job with a bit of time on my hands. Sadly, I didn't know about Hatrack but I read a lot of Nova transcripts.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I can't believe no-one has mentioned "Night Rider" or "Airwolf"--two of the best in my experience! I still have fond memories and dreams of the yellow glowing missiles that Airwolf shot, and how every explosion in each show looked the same.
You mean Knight Rider... [Razz]
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexa
Member # 6285

Hehe, My bad. Knight Rider! Kit and his/it's evil twin caused so much tension in my life. [Smile]
Posts: 1034 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I had the opportunity to watch an episode of Knight Rider recently. All I can say is that I must have been easily amused when I was younger...
Alexa
Member # 6285

I forgot to add that Knight Rider is the show that first introduced me to critical thinking as a kid. It was the episode where Michael and Kit were chasing the bad guys through the streets and Kit hits a pedestrian and kills him/her (can't remember who the pedestrian was). I was just a kid but I remember thinking about what circumstances warrant police chases through residential neighborhoods and who was at fault if an accident occurred. I found an issue that resonated with me.

Airwolf was just cool—flying out of that canyon. The stories about the brother POW were enthralling. I have always wanted to see an episode, now that I am older, to see how stupid Airwolf really was.

punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
There was a show last year called Mr Spencer (I think) The writing was topnotch (certain deathknell). An unpolitical senator or representative that merely wanted to do good things for his constituency. He didn't always follow the good ole boy/girl rules. Only lasted half a season. Best television I'd seen in years. Oh well.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Bosom Buddies. It just doesn't get any better than two guys in drag.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexa
Member # 6285

Anyone want to second me on Mr. Belvedere?
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Not really.

I do, however, find the name 'Mr. Beaver Falls' oddly compelling....

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

The General Lee was way cooler than K.I.T.T.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UTAH
Member # 5032

- posted      Profile for UTAH   Email UTAH         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, they've already been mentioned, but
Star Trek: the Next Generation was the best Star Trek of all time. M*A*S*H*, of course, never gets boring, even after the 4th or 5th viewing.
My show of choice these days? Alias. Other than that, I rarely watch TV. It's unappealing.

Posts: 277 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill
Member # 3376

- posted      Profile for Jill   Email Jill         Edit/Delete Post 
Firefly
Buffy (though at the quality of the first few seasons)
Wonderfalls
I Love Lucy

Posts: 274 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Sports Night devotees: I didn't watch the show much, but from what I did catch -- not only was it well-written and funny, but it truly was what we here everyear one of the new fall shows is going to be -- a ground-breaking sitcom.

Ben: I totally agree about Titus. The humor was so brutal, but hilarious. And one of the only uses of first person narration where the narration was both funny and actually added to the drama and flow of the show. Plus of all the goofy, crazy brothers on sitcoms, the dude on Titus was the funniest and the craziest.

I don't think I really have any to add to those that have already been listed.

Oh, just thought of one: Andy Richter Controls The Universe.

And a throwback: Max Headroom. I'm not sure about the show per se -- but I loved the premise.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

What was the premise of Max Headroom?

Dagonee

Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim Burton Presents THE FAMILY DOG
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

dagonee,

no doubt! if only kitt had raced through hazzard county, what a ride that could have been.

fallow

prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely Wussy Actor! Sports night is in my top three favorite shows. I own the series on dvd and I swear to you I can watch every episode an infinite amount of times and still find it hilarious. Go buy it if you haven't, it's a great investment.

Rakeesh, thanks for backin up my seinfeld lovin', lately it seems "uncool" to like seinfeld.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

On a slightly related topic, not that i wish it were still on tv, but whats up with twin peaks. I never saw it when it was on tv, but I have the first season on dvd and they are not planning on putting the second season out. Whats up withthat? How can i never know what happened after all those cliffhangers? This will haunt me til the end of my days.

--AR

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexa
Member # 6285

The second season of Twin Peaks asks more questions then it answers, it sets up a lot of plot lines to develop, and then they never made a third season. So, if you actually don't want to be left hanging, the first season alone will be less frustrating.
prolixshore
Member # 4496

grr, that just angers me more. DARN YOU DAVID LYNCH!

--ApostleRadio

Alexa
Member # 6285

I agree. It is better to see the two seasons, but if you are looking at it arithmetically, I think season one has less plot lines it needed to resolve. I was so stoked to find out about the face in the wood, the owls, and so much more. I am so mad Kyle M. backed out of a third season. That show could have gone 1-2 more seasons easily.

I am glad we found out who the killer was. I did like season two better, but if you think watching season two will leave you satisfied, you are wrong. I think it was a stroke of genius that they could resolve the murder and make the show more interesting, not less.

edit: "Pie or coffee anyone?"

[ May 04, 2004, 10:37 AM: Message edited by: Alexa ]

solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
Jim Hensons Storyteller

It might just be nostalgia though. I can't really remember any episodes with any detail. I just remember loving it as a kid.

I think they have released it on DVD recently so I will have to check it out.

Has anyone seen it recently? Is it any good?

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Proteus
Member # 794

- posted      Profile for Proteus   Email Proteus         Edit/Delete Post 
I just read through all of this thread and was terrified no-one was gonna mention Twin Peaks.

How's Annie? How's Annie? How's Annie? How's Annie?

But Alexa whats that about Kyle Mclachlan pulling out of it? I thought it was cancelled in the US because of poor ratings and a general panning by critics who didn't understand or never saw the pilot.

And um..... *spoliers*

What face in the wood? The Owls symbolised when someone from the Black Lodge was near - like Bob.

Whereas the shaking hands symbolised when a member of the White Lodge was near.

Remember fear and love open the two different doors. Thats why Cooper's hand shakes when he talks about Annie, Pete's does when Audrey and her fella confess their love, and the same with the random customer in the diner when Bobby tells Shelley he loves her.

I just wanted to see more on the White Lodge. To find out what happened to Ben Horne after he banged his head fighting Donna's father. If you remember he's seen at the end of the last episode but no mention is made of what happened to Ben.

Plus a couple of episodes from the end Ben is in his office, he follows Audrey to the door and as it closes a strange sound is heard behind him, he turns around startled with a look of fear/surprise (?) on his face. What was THAT about?

Oh and opinions on Fire Walk with me? *cough* Sorry, love Twin Peaks i'll let ye kids get back to these current day TV shenanigans.

*cough*

Even if Christopher Eccleston will make a fairly good Doctor Who.

*cough*

Bring back Futurama....and Space: Above and Beyond.

Posts: 200 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Ooh, forgot about Space: Above and Beyond. Once you got over the pilot/ground pounder thing (even with their cheesy attempt to reconcile the two), that show was great. It was a shame they had to rush the conclusion - they ended up wrapping up too many loose ends all at once, instead of letting them play out more naturally. The "Guadacanal" episode was amazing.

Dagonee

Alexa
Member # 6285

Proteus,

I could be wrong as I have no source to back it up, but I heard that Kyle Mclachlan pulled out because he did not want to be type cast and he wanted to focus on movies. I must admit, I bought the VHS of both seasons years after it stopped showing on TV, so I watched them all at once.

*SPOILERS*

The face in the woods is..Chen? I forget her name--the Asian lady who takes the mill. It has been so long, I am now forgetting the circumstances, but she...can anyone help me out with this? What exactly did happen?

Proteus
Member # 794

- posted      Profile for Proteus   Email Proteus         Edit/Delete Post 
SPOILERS!!!

The actress' name was ???? Chen and she played Josie Packard. When she died, Bob took her soul/ trapped it in the wooden chest of drawers by her body. It never elaborated on her fate but one can assume her soul is trapped in the wood of the bedside cabinet.

And with regards to Kyle M. He pulled out of the film Fire Walk with Me through fear of being typecast as Agent Cooper, he was going to have a bigger part but thats why Cooper is in such a small part of the prequel film.

Posts: 200 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.