FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Adiction addiction I NEED my addiction! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Adiction addiction I NEED my addiction!
Alexa
Member # 6285

- posted      Profile for Alexa           Edit/Delete Post 
Pop. Fizz. Gulp. Ahhh.....one more sip and I am ready to start. Better.

I have always considered myself to have above average control. One of my minor regrets is that I did not let loose enough in high school and college. However, these days I do have one addiction--Diet Cola.

It started off with being addicted to coke; however, in an attempt to stop, I switched to the foul-taste of diet cola. It didn't take long to become addicted to diet drinks.

It has now been many years where I drink an obscene amount of diet cola every day. I have actually lost bets that I could not stop drinking it--this coming from the person (me) who stopped eating meat and carbonation for a year over a $1 bet. I think I am now understanding addictions.

What about everyone else? What are you addicted to? How would you describe the sensation of addiction? I know it is bad and poison and I do drink more water then I ever did, but I can't seem to stop. Bows head in shame.

Posts: 1034 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
I need caffeine to feel normal.

[Embarrassed]

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not really an addiction, but I can get really involved in video games. When I see this happening, I have to force myself to not play it at all for one week. After that, I can come back at more reasonable rates.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Starcraft!
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
French Vanilla Cappuccino in the morning, coffee at work; Mountain Dew when it is hot in the summer (although I've succeeded in mostly giving up that particular addiction -- we will see how I do at sticking with it as summer drags on).

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Pepsi, not so bad. Cigarettes, very bad. Right now I'm cutting back each day because just going cold turkey doesn't work for me....or my husband, since I become impossible to live with.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Chocolate and books. Got to read a book every day even while trying to cook.
Got to have some sort of succulent chocolate confection... such as these chips or milk shakes or hot chocolate with dark chocolate Schoolboy biscuits.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
I've cut out pretty much every drinkable unneccessary calorie since spring break. I've lost about 4 pounds off of it so far. I just make sure to drink tons and tons of water, which is good for you anyways.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been cutting back on food for about a month. Just keeping an eye on calories and stuff. Well I ate a lot of sugar while on my vacation, though I did intersperse it with Subway and ever since I've been back I've had unreasonable sugar cravings.

I gave in today and bought a candy bar. We will see how long it staves it off for.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Hatrack

Dihydro-monoxide

and Air.

Though I think giving up air would be easier than Hatrack.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexa
Member # 6285

Can someone try to describe the sensation of addiction? Is it a sensation?
Posts: 1034 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Ciggaretts
Homeworld 2
Starcraft
Age of Wonders 2
Food
Jagermiester

[Smile]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
I used to addicted to video/computer games, but I didn't find it was useful to tell girls at on dates that your interest is gaming. I pretty must stopped playing altogether and got into snowboarding, wakeboarding, and riding jet skis. [Smile]

Addictions that I do have still are:
1. Coffee
2. See above
3. Coffee
4. Did I mention coffee?
[Wink]
*goes to get more coffee*

[ May 12, 2004, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: Nick ]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
This thread is making me thirsty
Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
Me, too. I'll meet you back here in 5 minutes with the diet dr. pepper.
Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
My drug of choice is caffeine. [Evil]

And I am addicted to Snood, and, lately, javanoid.

Alexa, you do know that too much soda is bad for your bones, right? [Eek!]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexa
Member # 6285

But how much is "too much?"
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Want to read my paper on phenylalanine? [Wink]

I'm addicted to caffeine, but only because of the headache I get if I DON'T ingest it. It doesn't keep me away--the dang stuff makes me sleepy.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Printed word.

It IS an addiction, and it's from childhood. Before the internet (Hatrack), it was books. I spent the last week separated from my an internet connection, and the book addiction came back full force.

For the record, Vanity Fair is wonderful.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Mack, you know you're getting headaches because of your addiction, right? You're giving yourself migraines, because you've developed a dependancy on the caffeine. If you stay off the caffeinated stuff for a few days, the headache (withdrawl) will pass. [Wink]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with kat--the printed word is my primary addiction. Hatrack, fiction, non-fiction, magazines, newspapers, cereal boxes--if it's within reach, I'm generally reading it. Like kat, this is an addiciton from childhood.

Computer games are my second. After spending way too much time playing Morrowind a few months ago, though, I haven't felt any urge to play anything.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon - exactly! Cereal boxes. User manuals. The backs of the shampoo bottles in the bathroom.

Michael used to say that I was every running or chasing and he needed to distract me, he'd throw magazines to the ground and I'd stop full force to leaf through it.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Alexa,

Is no one answering your questions?

Okay -- from this current caffeine addict, and always 'friend of Bill W.'

For me, addiction does come in the forms of cravings. I mean, I really really really want BAD whatever thing it is I'm addicted to. Like coffee in the morning -- yes I can go without it, but I will WANT it real bad all day. Of course, you know, we get those horrible headaches, etc. when we don't have it if we normally have too much.

You know I "tried" the Mormon religion at one time. I sat through that part where they told me I should give up coffee, etc. I really really did it. For about two months or so. But you know that first week -- I was physically ILL -- I mean really! I had headaches, bodyaches, nausea, just like flu -- for four days. I shook, I sweated. I hated it. (and this is just coffee withdrawal, good thing I gave up drinking a long time ago).

Sugar can do the same thing. My grandmother, when she got cancer, when on a very very strict diet that include absolutely NO sugars (fructose or refined or whatever) and she shook for several days.

So I think definately there is a chemical reaction and response by the body, and that same chemical response is what creates the cravings for these things (candy bars, caffeine, alcohol).

Unfortunately, I have been known to be a person of extremes -- all or nothing. I don't do well with the moderation idea. It's my weakness. That's why so many things in my life on in the "nothing" category now.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ciggaretts
Homeworld 2
Starcraft
Age of Wonders 2
Food
Jagermiester

hey Telperion the Silver do you play Broodwar on US east?
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
May I also say that I am addicted to books. I stay up way too late some nights because I can't put one down. Most of my life I've probably been sleep-deprived.

Religious beliefs aside, I've never tried alcohol, cigarettes, or coffee because I know I'd be addicted to them very fast. I don't even want to know what they're like. I drink a can of Coke every blue moon and I can feel how easy it would be to develop a craving for it.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Michael used to say that I was every running or chasing and he needed to distract me, he'd throw magazines to the ground and I'd stop full force to leaf through it.
[ROFL]

That'd probably stop me too!

When I undertake a major house cleaning, I have to be especially careful or I'll end up sitting and reading the stuff I should be sorting into piles and throwing out.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I found that my Bob addiction was competing with my reading addiction. Then we started taking turns reading to each other over the phone every night. Bliss. [Smile]
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm always getting distracted when I try to clean
Which is why I seldom try to clean... it seems... futile..

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexa
Member # 6285

[ROFL]
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm fully aware of why I get those headaches, lusty. [Wink]

Caffiene acts to constrict the blood vessels, so when you run out of it, there's a surge of blood flow to the head, giving you a headache.

And those are MOTHERS of a headache.

But, I only have one caffinated beverage per day now.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I was the only one who read the backs of cereal boxes and shampoo bottles!!! I feel as though I've finally come home....

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yank
Member # 2514

- posted      Profile for Yank   Email Yank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Noemon - exactly! Cereal boxes. User manuals. The backs of the shampoo bottles in the bathroom.

Yeah, me too. If there's nothing around to read I go crazy. I'll read *anything* at that point, and if truly is nothing around to read, I'll write something.
Posts: 1631 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

quote:
I found that my Bob addiction was competing with my reading addiction. Then we started taking turns reading to each other over the phone every night. Bliss.
Must be a big phone bill. [Wink]
Seriously though, that's awesome. Why don't any girls I know like to read? [Frown] Besides the young ladies here on Hatrack of course. [Smile]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Free cell phone minutes after 9pm. [Big Grin]
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Addictions

Coffee....lots of it.
cigarettes
reading
diablo II
old, antique, classic cars
reading about my next project (a hot rod)
going to sea
pulling back into port

good enuf?

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Caffeinated Pop (I can't stand coffee or those caffeine pills)
The Computer
Driving
Music

And to a lesser extent (meaning I don't -have- to have it but I'd never, ever refuse it and I buy it whenever I can), gum.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

quote:
Free cell phone minutes after 9pm.
Oh, I assumed you used your house phone for some reason. I get free minutes after 9pm too. [Dont Know] Now to find the girl to read to.... [Big Grin]
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
I managed to break my caffeine addiction as an undergrad. Stopped drinking all that cola. Truthfully, it wasn't really that hard. I already had a supply of Tylenol for my sinus headaches, so there wasn't much difficulty.

Unfortunately, when I began to work nights I had to start drinking the stuff again to stay awake.

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
For the last week or so I was lucky to get sleep at all. So I was drinking a ton of coffee. In fact my watchteam has the most coffee drinkers out of my entire work center. I forget what day it was, but we went thru 3 pots of coffee in just under 5 hours.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
Jamocha Shakes from Arby's. When you're working third shift and coffee gives you a stomach ache, those things are life-savers.

Here's a question: What is the difference between addiction and obsession?

Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
Jamocha Shakes from Arby's. When you're working third shift and coffee gives you a stomach ache, those things are life-savers.

Here's a question: What is the difference between addiction and obsession?

Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
namaki
Member # 6519

- posted      Profile for namaki   Email namaki         Edit/Delete Post 
The difference between addiction and obsession...

I think the line is pretty faint.

I would suggest that addiction would technically cover the continued use of "stuff" (should I call it substances?) that is known by the user to be harmfull. Also there is the question of withdrawal symptoms, which I believe are defined medically.

Obsession is the mental churning, constantly returning to odd ideas, weird thoughts. I think addiction would come under the "compulsive" part of obsessive-compulsive.

my .02 $ worth [Dont Know]

Posts: 21 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I have two theories on addiction.

1. You start out using something because it makes you feel better than normal. You wind up using it just to feel normal. If you don't have it, that becomes a reason to feel like crap.

2. The thing you use to escape from your problems is becoming the source of your problems.

I also think there are addictive substances and addictive personalities. An addictive substance, say, morphine, will cause a lot of people to be addicted. But I think there are addictive people who can turn something as simple as bread hot from the bread machine into an addiction. Only 55 more minutes...

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexa
Member # 6285

namaki,

quote:
The difference between addiction and obsession...

I think the line is pretty faint.

I actually think the difference is more concrete. I don’t have my books with me, but my layman understanding is that addiction *creates* need, whereas obsession *is* an extreme and often inappropriate need.

I don’t think being substantive or not is a necessity to either addiction or obsession. You can be addicted to gambling as much as you can be addicted to games, porn, or alcohol. The nature of addiction causes the person to need to do the behavior more—often in an accelerated frequency or intensified degree. Ie: Drinking diet cola creats a need to drink diet cola via chemical dependency.

Obsession is like washing your hands 100 times a day, keeping your house so clean that the indents in the carpet from visitors bother you, or following Britney Spears. You are satisfying an extreme urge (that can be argued by a majority as misplaced), but the nature of your satisfication (<--my new word!) does not create or intensify a need or behavior.
quote:
Obsession is the mental churning, constantly returning to odd ideas, weird thoughts.
I think both have mental churning, weird thoughts, or returning to odd ideas. I don't see a distinction based on thoughts vs. substance.

[ May 13, 2004, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: Alexa ]

namaki
Member # 6519

- posted      Profile for namaki   Email namaki         Edit/Delete Post 
Alexa,

I believe you are right that addiction is of the sort that creates its own need - like both you and pooka have stated so eloquently.

I also think that there is a lay-man's use of the term addiction that differs semantically from the medical use of the word.

I tend to put my need for sugar into addiction, and my bulimic reading into compulsion. But my sugar addiction (until proven otherwise) is a lay-mans type of addiction. I will want sugar, and probably get restless if I don't get it, but if I can get my hands on a few veeeerrrrry loooooong books, I don't think i would notice the "withdrawal" symptoms.

When it comes to obsession and compulsion, I do see a difference, though the two will often be tied closely together. Washing your hands 100 times a day is compulsion. But often it is obsessive thinking that creates this compulsion. The compulsion becomes an acting out of obsession. The minute you decide to commit the act (whatever it is), there is a mental release of tension. Maybe the actual compulsive act will take place several hours later, but the simple act of letting go (I *will* have that piece of lemon pie that is in the freezer), will create that sense of relief, I think.

I have thought much more about the obsessive/compulsive distinction over the last few years than about what addiction is/is not.

...Hmm... I think we derailed this thread. It was most definitely about addiction and not Obsessive-Compulsiveness [Big Grin]

Posts: 21 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Pop. Fizz. Gulp. Ahhh.
Hehe, I saw this, and immediately thought "Pop. Six. Squish. Uh uh. Cicero. Lipschitz." [Wink]

Oy, me and my musicals!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

So I'm not the only one Raia? [Wink]
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
Kat, Noemon, AfR, and Space Opera:

You are not alone. I can spell methylchloroisothiazolinone from memory. Ah, the blessed shampoo bottle.

[added: forgot someone to include on my cool shampoo bottle readers club list]

[ May 13, 2004, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: peterh ]

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yeeeup.

And Hatcrack. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yes... how could I forget... I'm addicted to men... *growl* [Cool]
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.