FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Another deadbeat dad ordered to not have children

Author Topic: Another deadbeat dad ordered to not have children
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
link

quote:
Sean Talty is required to make "reasonable" efforts to avoid conception during his five-year probation after he was convicted of not supporting three of his seven children by five women. If he violates the order, he could get six months to a year in prison...

Talty, 32, pleaded no contest in 2002 to failing to pay $38,000 in child support for three of his children with his former wife and another woman.

Apparently this pillar of the community is married and his new wife wants to have a child with him. [Confused] I seriously don't understand how any woman would be willing to have a relationship with a deadbeat like this. Does she honestly think he'll be any different with her and her child(ren)?
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course! Why not -- he's changed!

. . . and shoes stretch. [Razz]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
"Of course he's changed! Otherwise, he married me, didn't he?"
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if he isn't changed yet, I'm sure SHE can do it.

The big question is: "Is he paying for the rest of the kids yet? Or not?"

[ May 14, 2004, 08:11 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rudolph
Member # 3236

- posted      Profile for Rudolph           Edit/Delete Post 
lol that thread title cracked me up big time...
Posts: 217 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
So you guys believe changing is impossible?
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
It depends on what one is trying to change into. A slender pair of jeans - may take some effort and a healthy diet. A frog - may take a witch or a fairy. A good person - will take years and years of commitment.

It may be possible that he transformed into Prince Charming and Mother Theresa's lovechild in only two years, but most similar cases have shown that that's probably not the case.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
And who would better know if it IS the case - that person's wife, or some people on a forum who have never met the guy?
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the forumites have the statistical edge.
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't buy into the labels. Apparantly this guy has been paying as much as he can - he just can't afford to pay more. From http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A15742-2004May10_2.html:

quote:
But Carro said Talty does not have the money. Talty dropped out of school and has worked a series of jobs that do not pay well, Carro said. His latest job earned him $400 per week at World Wide Windows and Siding, according to court papers.

At the same time he owes $150 a week plus arrearages on two separate cases, and is paying a $6,000 judgment from a traffic accident. Since his initial sentencing, Talty has married his then-girlfriend, Vickie Lynn Kinder, in a civil ceremony. It is his second marriage. The couple already had two children, but Kinder told reporters after a hearing last year that she wanted to have more. At the time, Talty said that he had no plans to get anyone pregnant and was chipping away at his debts. "I'm not a deadbeat dad," he told reporters. "I take care of my kids."

Talty declined to be interviewed for this article.

Kimbler said that Talty's income was a consideration in sentencing. On the day Talty was initially supposed to be sentenced, Kimbler considered putting him in jail but first had a question: Could he require Talty not to have any more children?

The prosecution and defense said they did not think it was legal, so Kimbler ordered briefs from the lawyers and ended up with the language that Talty should make "reasonable efforts to avoid conception."

"It was the first time I had imposed this particular condition," Kimbler said.

His ruling was upheld by the 9th District Court of Appeals in Akron.

And Kimbler said the provision has been beneficial to Talty. "He has been a model probationer," Kimbler said. "If he has a problem, he notifies his probation officer. Mr. Talty is a hard worker and seems to be a guy who is a good worker. That was one reason I didn't want to put him in jail."

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yes, he's a hard worker. The only problem is he's a love machine.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if he can't afford to support children, he shouldn't be having them anyway.
Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
And it's just that cut and dried.
Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't we just accuse him of being a terrorist and kill him?
Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

Well, I don't think there is any evidence that he is a terrorist, Thor. He wasn't captured on a battlefield fighting for the enemy, and it doesn't sound like anyone has found bomb plans.

Besides, the fellow doesn't sound too competent or capable anyway. He'd probably just blow himself up. (Alone, I mean--not like a suicide bomber.)

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Well, if he can't afford to support children, he shouldn't be having them anyway.
I agree. But I don't agree that it should be the government forcing that decision.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Right.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

Well, what do you think it should do, Dagonee?
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I don't know. Not all problems are solveable by the government.

But I think everyone ought to be leery of the government deciding who has enough money to be allowed to reproduce.

Dagonee

Mabus
Member # 6320

quote:
Not all problems are solveable by the government.
Agreed. I suppose I just tend to think that when an issue comes before the court, it may as well make its point.
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
This guy is paying less than $25 per month per child. That's not support, it's a joke. At that rate, without interest, he'll have the $38,000 paid off in just over 21 years. Those children need the support now, not when they're adults.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.