FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Oil at an ALL TIME high. (Page 0)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Oil at an ALL TIME high.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Pfft. You won't have TIME to have a mechanic do anything. And I'd like to know where you plan to stow the kids -- in their car seats, natch.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
We're all gonna be wishing we lived closer to school and to work. Forget driving the kids to soccer practice.

Some of the choices we made back when gas was cheap can be reversed, but some we're going to have to live with. How about that ninth kid that jumped the neighbors from a minivan to a gas-guzzling Suburban?

At $4.00 a gallon it will be cheaper to burn human fat than to fire up the WHAM-MOBILE.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
where to stow the kids?

*taps* *frowns* *puzzles*

do you know their initial velocities?

*raises eyebrow*

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Since I generally STOP the vehicle while they get in, I'd assume it's zero.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

oh that's not good. never come to a complete stop. what about momentum?
Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Safety beats momentum. It's not even close.
fallow
Member # 6268

Do you have a particular color in mind?
rivka
Member # 4859

[Confused] Color of what?
fallow
Member # 6268

scooter.

I noticed when you came in here you had your eye on the electric blue one.

she's a beaut!

fallow

skillery
Member # 6209

A couple of weeks ago here in Salt Lake a lady dropped off her niece at school and drove off, not knowing that the little girl's coat was caught in the door.

Not funny, but another problem solved by scooters.

Oh, and most people can't shave, pick their noses, and talk on the phone at the same time while scootering.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I have never shaved while driving.
fallow
Member # 6268

It's true, skillery. Rivka has never shaved while straddling an electric blue scooter.
skillery
Member # 6209

Would attaching child-carrier panniers raise the insurance premium on a scooter?
fallow
Member # 6268

Nah, those come standard, Mrs...?
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
Life is a series of Choices?>!

OH! And I'm the Jesusest wine of the BUNCH!

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
They say bad food and good plastic,
buy you better feet.
You wait and see!

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

life is a series of informed (ill, mal, or freely) choices made.
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

Pay your car payment.!
Pay your insurance ( car) )
Pay your insurance ( health )
Pay your rent
Pay your gas
Pay Your Water
Pay Your phone
Pay your cable
Pay your triple A
Pay your 3 credit cars
Pay it all away!

KING come

The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

Today about a buck ninety.

I don't care what faggohtish economists say as they hump a wad of money, oil is "healthy" at about a buck a gallon.

Add Car payment
plus
Car insurance
plus a
triple digit
gas
bill just for
the privalige of
driving to work?

Y'all people are crazy.
Totally television brained crazy,
and your religion is weak.

don't sell mammon as God.

it causes lots of trouble

The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

Bush #2 fired Enron as his top advisors and then his energy plan actually got worse.
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe people will start buying more efficient cars and driving less.
Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was at the Saudi Embassy a month or two ago, their mantra was "We want to keep the price of oil reasonable because this benefits both producers and consumers."

Bull.

[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Maybe people will start buying more efficient cars and driving less.
I've tried Sun, but I have to drive sometimes 130 miles to work. I can't ride my bike that far. I never drive for coffee and such though. [Smile] Unless it's with a girl, that's different. [Smile]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

You should take a drive around Houston.

seems like 40% of the vehicles are the suburbans which are BIGGER than a short bus.

It's ridiculous

Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
Thor, maybe that's because, whatever their ethical problems, Enron knows what they're doing. They are, after all, a business, and they have to stay in business. Government, by contrast, has no competition except in highly unstable countries.
Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Mabus.

You're kidding, right?

Enron intentionally caused the rolling blackouts in California just so they could increase their own profits.

You want them dictating the country's energy policy?

Ayn Rand's utopian dreams of an objectove economy don't work. Companies today are so large (as are governments) that they respond too slowly to social pressures for there to be any sort of homeostatic (societally-regulated) control of their actions.

Think of trying to servo-control the position of an army tank turret with a motor designed to spin up a computer hard-disk.

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

No, no, Ssywak. You misread me.

I was responding to Thor's (probably addled)complaint that after Enron stopped advising Bush his energy plan got worse instead of better. Enron's board may be despicable, but they are competent businessmen.

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
BP has the best logo out of all the oil companies
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Competent? Maybe. But they were extremely unethical. I didn't like having to sit at home with no power for hours at a time, knowing that it was all a ploy to increase the thickness of some prick executives wallet.
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Enron intentionally caused the rolling blackouts in California just so they could increase their own profits.
Can someone link this. I've heard the allegation before, but never seen a coherent description of the scheme.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
See, here in Toronto some motorists are just refusing to pay the full price for oil. They'll pay what they think it's worth and take off. I guess it's annoying people that there's >$0.10 difference per Litre depending on where you are in the city (almost 4 Litres to an american gallon).

In Nova Scotia they passed a resolution requiring gas companies to give 2 days notice before hiking oil prices.

I just keep walking the 3.5 miles too and from work. The cost of pasta hasn't gone up at all.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Just google: Enron deathstar
You'll also run across various other schemes.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Correction: Oil is not at an all time high. Gas is.

If you note, Diesel is at about the same price it was 6 months ago, while gas has gone up about 20-25%.

Why?

If you raise the price of diesel, all things become more expensive to ship. The result is rampant inflation.

That would create a very small net gain for the big bosses.

If you raise just the price of gasoline, people have a harder time surviving, and demands for higher wages increase, but the over all effect is increased profits.

Add to that the ability to blame environmentalist (We wouldn't be this high, they say, if we didn't have to reformulate the gasoline to get rid of the supposedly poisonous by-products), and the oil companies have a win/win situation.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Gas is still below the all-time high of 2.99 (inflation adjusted) in 1981.

Also, while there is a steeper climb in the immediate past, in general the prices for deisal and gasoline track quite closely: U.S. Gasoline and Diesel Fuel Prices, 05/17/04.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lara
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for Lara   Email Lara         Edit/Delete Post 
I think shipping has definitely been affected. The last gallon of milk I bought cost almost $3, which seems really high to me. Unless there's a cow shortage or something.
Posts: 377 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the only way we will evolve to other forms of energy. We will never stop using oil until it runs out or it becomes too costly to use.

Just imagin an entire layer of the crust turned into gas... Mmmmm... *breathes deeply* Who needs a ciggy when you've got pollution! [Smile]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lara
Member # 132

Ugh. You're right.

*keeps paying $20 a tank and too much for shipped goods*
*still locked into car loan*
*doesn't know anything about alternate forms of energy*
*waits for day when smarter people solve these problems*

Posts: 377 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
This would be a good time for an alternate-energy Manhatten Project. Bring the best minds you can get, throw 'em in a room and heap money on them.

Can't hurt, and it might work.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I was about to post that, Chris. Seriously.

It's a good idea, it's at least as important to our national security as any other issue right now. Just make sure the government owns the patents.

Dagonee

Lara
Member # 132

It would work.

So.

*looks at watch*
*looks around*
*reads mailing sticker on magazine on desk*

Man, what are they waiting for?

Mabus
Member # 6320

Well...for someone to actually have the faintest glimmer of an idea for an energy source that might really substitute for oil.

It's not going to happen. When the oil goes, civilization will go with it. If I had any money at all, I'd be stockpiling food.

Lara
Member # 132

That's the thing, it's really weird to realize most people are in a position where survival is dependent on factors we have absolutely no control over. I hate that! And I don't think being a skilled survivalist would be good enough. I think somehow, the bulk of society has to come to a solution because every man for himself can't work for the long run.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Milk price increases are not related to the gas increase.

It seems there was a glut of milk on the market a year ago.

Of course, this didn't lower the milk price we consumers pay, but the milk prices fell on the wholesale level to the point that it didn't pay to milk the cow.

As a result many dairy farmers sold off their cows (or made 1/4 pounders out of them.)

Now, with many fewer cows, there is a shortage of milk, so the price has gone up.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lara
Member # 132

Oh.

Well... I still think... that we need to save the world.

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Got another problem. The amount of diesel being used/purchased is comparatively flat. So the same production facilities/capacity delivers an amount of fuel close to users' need. If the refineries keep those same facilities running the same way as they were in the past, the price run-up more closely tracks just the rise in crude oil prices.

However, SUVs et al are guzzling MUCH more gasoline than the cars they replaced. Since they were the fastest growing segment of new car purchases, the demand for gasoline is increasing sharply.
Because US refineries run at near full production capacity, there are only two ways to increase the gasoline supply:
Import gasoline from nonUS refineries; which boosts world gasoline prices. Plus gasoline is more expensive to transport for importation than crude oil, so that transportation cost must be also be passed on to the consumer price.
And/or convert USfacilities which currently produce diesel over to gasoline production. Which means that those facilities would have to be shut down during the during the conversion process, again adding to cost that must be passed onto the consumer. Such a conversion would also decrease diesel supplies, leading to increased demand pressure which would cause a price rise in diesel.

An increase in diesel prices would also lead to increased transportation cost, which in turn leads to increased cost of delivery of consumer goods to stores (and gas stations). For many products, especially items found in supermarkets et al, the transportation cost already exceeds the manufacturers's cost to actually make the product. Again leading to a cost passed onto the consumer.
Such additional costs would also disproportionately hit the poorer segment of society since food and other necessities make up a larger portion of their budget.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Speaking of which, it is somewhat misleading to compare gas prices based solely on inflation-adjusted dollars. The average household income for the lower three quintiles (60%) of wage earners has decreased in inflation-adjusted dollars. And the lower on the economic scale one looks, the greater the decrease.
For minimum-wage workers in terms of hours-worked per gallon of gasoline, the true inflation-adjusted cost (ie the decrease in pay compared to the increase in the cost of goods in inflation-adjusted dollars) is currently equivalent to more than $4.25 per gallon. MUCH more if one is talking in terms of discretionary income, since they pay a higher percentage of their total income for necessities.

In terms of discretionary income -- ie money left over after paying for food, rent/mortgage, utilities, medical/dental care, childcare (for single-working-parent and dual-worker households), car insurance (which is mandatory for drivers), and taxes -- everyone in the lower 60% pays a higher price in terms of hours-worked per gallon of gasoline than that reflected by comparing the current cost to the highest cost in inflation-adjusted dollars.

[ May 18, 2004, 05:56 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

Does anyone remember when at the beginning of the Bush/Cheney regime, Cheney LAUGHED at the idea of conservation???????

Does anyone remember the SUV provision Bush put into his tax cuts where the largest SUV's could be WRITTEN OFF ?????

Aye Carumba!

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

I heart that yesterday President Bush declined to use our strategic reserves to fight the increased cost of oil, blaming the entire problem on Democrats for, "Not passing my energy plan three years ago."

That Energy plan, which was probably put together by the oil companies including Ken Lay of Enron (but we don't know because VP Cheney refuses to allow anyone to see his guest list to the meeting where it was ironed out), and mostly included drilling in the Alaskan wilderness, which wouldn't have begun producing its limited amount of oil, for several more years.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Does anyone remember the SUV provision Bush put into his tax cuts where the largest SUV's could be WRITTEN OFF ?????

I don't know if this is related to your statement above... but..

a co-worker of mine (rich kid) has a huge SUV that was manufactured to be compatible with running on 85% Ethanol fuel (if desired -- it can also burn regular unleaded.)

There are two fuel stations locally that offered the 85% Ethanol fuel (because we have an Ethanol plant nearby). The thinking, of course, is that Ethanol is better for the environment and local agrarian economy.

This co-worker was once bragging to me about his SUV, and I mentioned the station that I always fill up offers 85% ethanol for vehicles like his, and I asked if he burned it.

He said, "Hell no! I'm not going to drive out of the way to get fuel. I only got it equipped for Ethanol in order to get the tax break on it!" (or tax write-off, I don't remember which phrase he said).

I was disgusted by that attitude. He brought a gas-guzzling SUV with this enhancement just for the tax break, not because he really cares at all that Ethanol might be a better choice...

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Its weird when the best source of hard info comes from The Moscow Times
Lara
Member # 132

The feature article in this month's National Geographic is called "The End of Cheap Oil," it's very comprehensive. There's also an article about the Shiites in Iraq, together they're a good perspective on timely issues.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.