FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Troy (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Troy
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Artemis was no virgin.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
pooka & Liz [ROFL]
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I should think the objection would be to my saying she died. But was it just that she didn't like men?
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one who thought Troy was incredibly boring? There were plenty of pretty people to ogle at, but not much else. The only character I really bought was Odysseus, and he was barely there. I liked Hector, except he was made to be too perfect.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Pooka, I think Artemis liked men, but she loved women.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with BrianM. If there is an excellent and beloved story, why take it and macerate it into something entirely different? Why not call your movie "The Siege" and have it be about the Bronze Age city of Remlap, with great heroes Rortak and Dweezle fighting on either side? Then you have a free hand to do anything you like without desecrating something classic and beloved. Why make it ALMOST the Iliad but then change it in ways that make it fundamentally different? This drives me nuts about Disney, too. It's just heinous, what they do to my beloved childhood stories.

The gods are an integral part of that story. It sucks that they uprooted them from it. Like trying to do the Silmarillion with no Valar.

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The only character I really bought was Odysseus, and he was barely there. I liked Hector, except he was made to be too perfect.
Agreed. Also, I thought that Achilles was too smart. I think he should've just been a really good soldier, in the movie he sounded more like a philospher, which he clearly wasn't, he was a spoiled man who happened to be very very good at what he did.

Odysseus is by far the most intersting chareceter that Homer ever wrote about, strong, intelligent, and all he really ever wanted was to get home to his wife whom he loved. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

The theme of the Iliad was supposedly the ruinous wrath of Achilles. Does anyone besides me think he was perfectly justified? I never thought his wrath was so overweening. If I were he, I would have slain Agamemnon out of hand and been done with it. It would have saved lots of bother later on as well. The whole sad story of Clytemnestra and so on. If anyone needed a sword in the gullet it was Agamemnon.
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

Justified in what, exactly?
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

His wrath at Agamemnon. It was the theme. Ruinous wrath.
Miro
Member # 1178

I suppose so, though I don't really remember the specifics of the conflict beyond what is in the movie, with Briseis and all.

A couple humorous things I remembered about the movie, very minor SPOILERS, if anyone's concerned.
When Paris starts into the battle with his bow and arrows, all I could think of was Legolas. And in Achille's death scene, with him being stuck with so many arrows and still taking so long to die, I kept on thinking of Boromir's death scene. [Razz]

[ May 18, 2004, 01:06 AM: Message edited by: Miro ]

fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
did they preface the story with the dip of achilles' heel in the water/river thing?
Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrianM
Member # 5918

- posted      Profile for BrianM   Email BrianM         Edit/Delete Post 
No, Appollo drove the thing, I think he took over from Hyperion or Helios. The reason for this is that is the myth of Phaethon, Phaethon finds out his dad is Appollo and gets to have one request, so he asks his dad if he can ride his chariot accross the sky, then dies.
Posts: 369 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Miro--me too, me too!

I am ashamed to admit that I cried when Paris gave the sword to Aeneas. I'm pathetic. I don't even like Aeneas.

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
In that case, Anne Kate, I'm curious as to what your response to the questions I posed to Brian is. Again, I'm not trying to be snarky--I really want to know.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrianM
Member # 5918

[Razz]

What are these questions? Looking back over thr thread I'm probably missing them spread out, if you could condense them into 1,2,3 format for me with simple tag lines in one post I will answer them.

Posts: 369 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] Sure Brian. Actually, it's funny--I was going back through the thread, reconstructing my questions, when I realized that kat had summed it up much more succinctly that I had in the following exchange:

quote:
I have yet to see another piece of literature by a different author than Homer before say, 1000 AD, that talks about Menelaus, Hector, and others
--BrianM

quote:
Homer may have been the first, but he wasn't the last to deal with these characters. TROY is part of a long, long tradition of retelling this story. Do you have the same objections to Euripedes?
--kat

That is basically what my questions all boiled down to.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrianM
Member # 5918

That long tradition is is by no means any more leigitmate than this movie, though a lot of it is probably more tasteful. When I think of these characters shakespeare nor other modifying authors comes to mind.
Kabederlin
Member # 6304

- posted      Profile for Kabederlin   Email Kabederlin         Edit/Delete Post 
Having read the Iliad, I for one enjoyed the movie Troy and would encourage all to go see it. But when you watch it do not try and see Homer's story in it because you'll only be dissapointed. Look at this movie as it's own work of art, whose characters and idea were borrowed from Homer's epic. Brad Pitt, an actor whom I used to dislike before Fight Club, did an excellent job portraying Achilles as the arrogant hero he was. Hector's character, though not fully accurate to the story (remember this is the movie) was still brilliantly portrayed. The whole movie was excellent and if all thats stopping you from seeing it is the prospect of being dissapointed because it's not true to Homer's Epic, then I believe you are foolish. I only hope when Peterson creates Ender's Game it is not given such a terrible welcome as Troy has been recieving.
Posts: 126 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When I think of these characters shakespeare nor other modifying authors comes to mind.
Hmm...just because you are ignorant of the tradition does not mean its grace doesn't exist. You should give it a try.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrianM
Member # 5918

Ignorant? *laugh* I am willing to bet I have a better command of shakespeare and more of what you would probably include in this "long tradition" than most people. There's no need to be rude merely because I disagree. with you and do not share the same connotative connections as you, and certainly no need to call me ignorant of basic, english and other literature. I would call percieving others as ignorant because they don't think of things the same way as you arrogance. Maybe you should give humility a try.

[ May 18, 2004, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: BrianM ]

katharina
Member # 827

I'm not talking about Shakespeare. I do think that if you think the Iliad is the end all and be all of these characters and the only legitimate source of these stories then you ought to expand the horizons a little bit. I think you'd enjoy it.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrianM
Member # 5918

And I think that if you think every little story that a theatrical apple-john whips up by stealing the characters and modifying it how they see fit qualifies as quality entertainment then not only is *that* ignorance, but it hurts the original. Please enlighten me as to what you would consider belongs in this "long tradition."
katharina
Member # 827

How about you actually watch the movie Troy before expounding an opinion on it?
BrianM
Member # 5918

We weren't discussing the movie just now persay, try to stay on topic please, I would really like to see this big list of what you consider to be in this "long tradition" besides Shakespeare.

[ May 18, 2004, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: BrianM ]

katharina
Member # 827

You haven't seen the movie! How can you diss a movie you haven't even seen!

Shakespeare is not on the list of authors who have participated in the Trojan War tradition, as far as I know. Bob was using him as an example of someone who created new art out of old stories. Slavish devotion to the current conception of the source would have eliminated his works.

You want a quick rundown of everything in the tradition of telling of the Trojan War? Hhmmm. There are people here who know much more than I do, and I'd hate to pretend to knowledge I don't have.

Off the top of my head (there's more that I never learned/am not aware of):

The Iliad
The Oddysey
Aschylus' Agamemnon and Eumenides
Sophocles' Ajax
Euripedes Andromache, Trojan Women, and Helen
Xenophon - except I can't remember the names of his plays
Virgil's Aeneid

Modern favorite: Yeats' Leda and the Swan

----

per se. It's Latin for "through/concerning itself."

[ May 18, 2004, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

BrianM
Member # 5918

Given that the first two of your list were the original works themselves, they don't belong in a post-original "tradition."

As for the scant other few you named classics authors don't really qualify in that, especially with the works you mentioned, they relied heavily upon meticulate detail from the original works and modified usually only unimportant temporary and non-unique emotional and social situations. Either that or they expounded details in the lives of the characters that Homer didn't cover at all, the rarely took specific plots from Homer and altered them they way modern media does. Even if I granted you every work in that list, none of which qualify, that would still hardly be anyhting near to qualify what you have tried to argue is a "long tradition." Please, you have to do better than this.

[ May 18, 2004, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: BrianM ]

katharina
Member # 827

Keep digging, baby. [Razz]

[ May 18, 2004, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
For that matter the Homeric poems changed quite a bit since the time Homer created them. What we have now are the "fixed" versions, stabilized from the oral traditions and written down hundreds of years after his death when book publishing and libraries became more commonplace.

"The first complete version may well have been that established as a standard for rhapsodic competitions at the great quadrennial festival at Athens, the Panathenaea, at some time during the 6th century BC. Even that did not permanently fix the text, and from then on the history of the epics was one of periodical distortion followed by progressively more effective acts of stabilization. The widespread dissemination of the poems consequent upon the growth of the Athenian book trade in the 5th century and the proliferation of libraries after the 4th was followed by the critical work of the Alexandrian scholar Aristarchus of Samothrace in the 2nd century BC, and much later by the propagation of accurate minuscule texts (notably the famous manuscript known as Venetus A of the Iliad), incorporating the best results of Greco-Roman scholarship, in the Byzantine world of the Middle Ages. Rare portions of either poem may have been added after, but not long after, the main act of composition; the night expedition that results in the capture of the Trojan spy Dolon and that fills the 10th book of the Iliad, some of the underworld scenes in the 11th book of the Odyssey, and much of the ending of the Odyssey after line 296 of the 23rd book (regarded by Aristarchus as its original conclusion) are the most probable candidates on the grounds of structure, language, and style."

[ May 18, 2004, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrianM
Member # 5918

There is a lot of work to go back and re-translate them Chris. This is true especially with Homer, Plato and Aristotle who have suffered the "interpretation" of many christian scholars who erased any trace of what could be considered over-zealous pagan worship or homosexual referances.

[ May 18, 2004, 11:26 AM: Message edited by: BrianM ]

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Not what I meant. I'm talking about the changes from the time Homer created the poems and the time they were fixed in print. I added more above.

[ May 18, 2004, 11:26 AM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I would imagine there's a simple, two-fold answer:

1) Many Americans, being Christian fundamentalists, would be offended by the presence of non-Christian gods as characters.

There's an interesting dilemma here. I pondered starting a new thread for it, because it opens up a rather different avenue of discussion. When writing stories, does one leave religion out or put it in? Is putting God in your story more disrespectful than leaving him out? What if there are other gods, or "gods", present; how does that change matters?

As a long-time comic-book fan I was always struck by the difference between Marvel's and DC's worlds.

DC has actually had characters who served as known agents of God, like the Spectre (perhaps because DC was the older publisher). They once avoided using the term "God"--the Spectre, for instance, served the "Voice" that spoke to him from the afterlife--but it was clear who was involved. While other gods appeared from time to time, they usually seemed to be subordinate beings existing on sufferance. But by making God a character in their books, they also opened up the possibility of storylines like the one in Supergirl a few years ago, in which a vampire blackmails God into giving up the divine power to him. Worse, he does so by threatening to destroy God's "feminine aspect" by way of the three angels who embody it, which apparently would make God into a destructive, judgemental tyrant.

Marvel, by contrast, has been scrupulously careful never to unequivocally portray God (or the devil, or angels) in its comics. Cosmic figures appear, but it's always made plain somewhere that they aren't interested in worship/look up to something still higher/etc. Demons do exist, and sometimes claim to be THE devil, but again they always turn out to be lying (naturally enough). On the other hand, it's an odd way to defend God's character--by eliminating or hiding him while demons and other deities wield power openly. Often the reader might well suspect he's not there at all...

What, then, is the line between offensive and nonoffensive? How do you portray--or not portray--God in art?

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrianM
Member # 5918

Could you provide a link for that quaote please?

Mabus, you have it COMPLETELY backwards, Marvel has the most godlike characters I have ever seen of any comic universe. I'm sure Galactis, the Watcher, Warlock and others should be immediately familiar to you, but the list goes on quite extensively.

[ May 18, 2004, 11:29 AM: Message edited by: BrianM ]

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

http://www.kat.gr/kat/history/Greek/Tc/Homer.htm

Source given is the 2000 Encyclopedia Britannica.

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

BrianM, if you're a comics fan, what do you think of the Ultimate Spider-Man series?
BrianM
Member # 5918

Haven't read that particular one yet, I kind of stopped collecting when I realized how old I was a few years ago and after they stopped printing Appocalypse.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Mabus, you have it COMPLETELY backwards, Marvel has the most godlike characters I have ever seen of any comic universe. I'm sure Galactis, the Watcher, Warlock and others should be immediately familiar to you, but the list goes on quite extensively.
Powerful does not equal godlike. Most of Marvel's ultra-powerful beings are NOT supernatural - Galactus epitomizes this.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrianM
Member # 5918

They *are* supernatural. Galactis himself is the primary force in the universe, if he dies it causes the universe to implode. There is even a figure above him. Warlock is *perfect* and there are others. I am looking for the online marvel encyclopedia.
Mabus
Member # 6320

*nods* I'm well aware of the vast number of godlike figures in the Marvel Universe. In fact, I recently grabbed up the paperback edition of Paradise X (Captain Mar-vell builds heaven, only it's not all it's cracked up to be).

But that's not what I'm talking about. Marvel makes thinly-veiled allusions, and devises beings with "phenomenal cosmic power", but doesn't actually portray God as such. For instance, from the Official Handbook: "Eternity, and its fellow metaphysical being Death, are said to encompass the universe in its entirety, but are not deities in the religious sense." You can take that with a grain of salt--Eternity has appeared in a number of situations as a "divine stand-in"--but nonetheless it amounts to a disclaimer. "Eternity isn't really God, and nobody worships him." DC does it the other way, so far as I can tell, though I've never been as much of a fan.

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrianM
Member # 5918

*grin* I just found this online, but I wish I could find that online marvel encylopedia.

BIOGRAPHICAL DATA:

Other current aliases: None known
Former aliases: None
Dual Identity: None
Current occupation: Devourer of Worlds, Third Force of the Universe
Former Occupation: None, though Galan was a space explorer
Citizenship: None, Galan was a citizen of Taa however
Place of Birth: The known universe
Martial Status: Single
Known Relatives: Eternity (father/brother/son), Death (mother/sister/daughter/wife)
Known Confidants: Eternity, Death
Known Allies: Nova, Firelord, Terrax, Silver Surfer, the Fantastic Four, other cosmic beings such as Eternity
Major Enemies: Rom, (the Space-Knight once tricked The Devourer of Worlds into trying to consume a planet that didn't have the appropriate life energies to sustain Galactus, but "repulsed" and "tricked" are two different things!), the Fantastic Four, Thanos (with Infinity Gauntlet), Tyrant
Usual Base of Operations: Mobile throughout the Universe, The Worldship: Taa 2
Former Base of Operations: None
Membership: None
Extent of Education: Unrevealed

[ May 18, 2004, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: BrianM ]

Mabus
Member # 6320

I do know where you can find _an_ online Marvel Encyclopedia, but it's a gaming product and is therefore written mostly in the terms of the old Marvel Supers RPG.
BrianM
Member # 5918

Here we go.

[URL=http://marvelite.prohosting.com/surfer/galactus/profile.html#POWERS%20AND%20ABILITIES:]http://marvelite.prohosting.com/surfer/galactus/profile.html#POWERS%20AND%20ABILITIES:[/ URL]

quote:
POWERS AND ABILITIES:

Intelligence: Immeasurable
Strength: Immeasurable (variable)
Flight speed: Warp Speed
Endurance: Godlike (variable)
Durability: Totally Indestructible (variable)
Agility: Metahuman
Reflexes: Metahuman

Fighting skills: Galactus is not known to have ever participated in purely physical combat.
Special Skills and Abilities: Omniscient and all powerful world devourer.
Superhuman Physical Powers: Besides the above listed attributes, Galactus can tap, transform, and direct vast quantities of cosmic energy for whatever purpose he desires. Galactus can teleport within and between dimensions under personal power. Galactus has shown he can allow his “Hunger” to consume entire mutliverses, plus he has all the abilities of his heralds, to a greater degree, and then some.
Superhuman Mental Powers: Galactus has demonstrated psionic abilities, the limits of which are unknown.
Source of Superhuman Powers: Galactus simply is, his nature is beyond the comprehension of mortal ken.

If that isn't godlike I don't know that is.

[ May 18, 2004, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: BrianM ]

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Reason I asked was actually on-topic.

The Ultimate Spider-man series was a restarting of the Spider-Man story told in today's terms. Unlike the previous attempt, which retold his story with the same plots but with new references (cellphones, etc) and bombed horribly, this one took the essence of the original stories and retold them in exciting ways. The characters don't all have the same relationships, the timeline is different, the villians are much more complex and unpredictable. In short, the magic of the stories is still there and stronger than ever, but someone convinced that Stan Lee's stories were the only way to ever tell those stories would be sadly disappointed.

Also, they're written (wonderfully) by Brian Michael Bendis. Thought you might have felt a kinship [Smile]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, I'm unashamed to admit that I'm a total Bendis fanboy. *laugh* [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

I'm no fan of the Ultimate series so far. It's not that they're badly done; I'm just dismayed by the recent splintering of what used to be a coherent Universe into a dozen or so discontinuous shards.
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

They've been having some serious problems with continuity, but I like the Bendis-related ones.

TomD - check out his message board. He comes on there regularly to pass along info and tease unmercifully about future storylines. He's got each one of his comics written about a year in advance. Oy.
I don't spend anywhere near the amount there that I do here (I barely spend the amount of time at home that I do here), but I stop in occasionally.

[ May 18, 2004, 12:43 PM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

I'm liking the supposed continuation of the "old" Spider-man books (Volume 2 Amazing Spider-Man) by J. Michael Straczynski and John, Jr. Romita. I like the Ezekiel angle. Although even these have continuity problems: why is Aunt May still alive?

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Because no one can die in the Marvel Universe, silly. No matter how much it screws up continuity or ruins the impact of previous stories.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I mean, what was their rationale? Was she resurrected for services rendered? Did she lie in the bottom of Jamaica Bay for 6 years in a comsmically-created cocoon? Was the May who died a Life Model Replica? Was she a clone? Did she jump out of the burning car before it went over the cliff? (OK, strike the last one).

Dagonee
*Did I miss any of the standard techniques?

P.S., Is there any topic we can't derail to a comic book discussion? [Smile]

[ May 18, 2004, 01:25 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Mabus
Member # 6320

Depends on what difficulty you are referring to.

Age is weird in the Marvel Universe. Although almost 40 years have passed in our time frame, no more than 10 have passed there (at least in relation to age). So if Aunt May was 60 when she first appeared in 1963, she's 70-ish now.

If you're referring to the recent "death" of Aunt May a few years back, it turned out that an actress had been hired by Norman Osborn (back from apparent death due to super-powers) to screw up Peter's life, and it was she who died. The real Aunt May had been kidnapped and was eventually released.

What bugs me is "Why is neither MJ nor Peter still concerned about the disappearance of their infant daughter (also named May)?"

[ May 18, 2004, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: Mabus ]

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.