FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Admit it--"Dune" is still the greatest science fiction novel of all time (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Admit it--"Dune" is still the greatest science fiction novel of all time
the Somalian
Member # 6557

- posted      Profile for the Somalian   Email the Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to my opinion, folks!

I say nevermind the quality of the pretentious sequels--the imagination and force of the first one hasn't been surpassed yet in the science fiction world by any of it's authors...ever.

You know it's true.

*baits Card fanatics, gets can of Coke...and waits*

Edit: thanks to Katharina for pointing that I misspelled "baits"! =)

[ May 26, 2004, 08:48 PM: Message edited by: the Somalian ]

Posts: 33 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Dune. Haven't tried any of the sequels yet.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, your reasons for your opinion have shown me the errors of my ways. Please, tell me what else to think in less than 3 sentences!
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Dune is brillant. But to say that it's the "Greatest Science Fiction Novel of All Time"?
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
I would say it definitely is one of the greatest of all time. Top 5 at least. I think that the later ones in the series started to drag though. I don't think the prequels are pretentious. I like them for what they are and don't try to compare them so much to the originals. I just welcome another dip back into that universe in whatever guise it comes. Nothing is ever as good as the original(in most cases) so I don't expect it to be. Definite top 5 on the list. So is Ender's Game. [Big Grin]
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
bates?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the Somalian
Member # 6557

- posted      Profile for the Somalian   Email the Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
"Wow, your reasons for your opinion have shown me the errors of my ways. Please, tell me what else to think in less than 3 sentences! "

Many err in their ways, but you are on the correct path since you have recognized your errors. With some time and effort you too can come to see the greatness of "Dune" and why it is the greatest science fiction novel of all time...why, in terms of imagination, it even surpasses Tolkien's LOTR saga in its daring fusion of politics, science and philosophy --in its compelling Machiavellian plot and memorable characters. I'm sure you'll one day see this. =)

Posts: 33 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Kathy?
Norman?
Katherine Lee?

----
And, BTW, the first book is almost meaningless without the sequels.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the Somalian
Member # 6557

"bates?"

It seems I have undermined my assertions with this blatant display of stupidity. I meant baits...=(

pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
*stare*
Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
That wouldn't be the Care Bear stare now would it, ph?
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jalapenoman
Member # 6575

- posted      Profile for Jalapenoman   Email Jalapenoman         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you walking on dangerous ground by saying that Dune is the greatest SF novel ever, and posting it on an OSC site? Just food for thought.

(I'd put it in my top ten, personally, but would find it hard picking any one book as the best.)

Posts: 279 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh... Dune the "greatest" science fiction novel of all time? It was the most-readable of the series (the sequels were far too thick, stylistically, for me to get into), and it was a decent, but IMO it falls far short of the greatest.

Maybe it's because I quickly tire of the "wheels within wheels" that Herbert seemed to love so much.

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't argue with the earlier top 5 comment, but I could make a case for: The Mote In God's Eye, Childhoods End, Ringworld, and an obscure one that I absolutely loved when I was younger, Earth Abides. I think if I spent more time on this I could do better but this was just off the cuff.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the Somalian
Member # 6557

"Are you walking on dangerous ground by saying that Dune is the greatest SF novel ever, and posting it on an OSC site? Just food for thought.

(I'd put it in my top ten, personally, but would find it hard picking any one book as the best.) "

I probably am. I love Card's Ender quartet and place it among my favorites series of all time. I went through a Card phase back in the 8th and 9th grade--reading the quartet & Ender's Shadow and numerous short stories. Beyond that though...with the exception of the Bean series...I haven't been able to "get" into Card's other material. For instance, I couldn't even read the first book of the series that's supposedly inspired by the Book Of Mormon. The only reason I come to this site isn't out of fanaticism for Card but because of his movie reviews--I find him to be one of the few straightforward and honest film critics on the web.

Regarding Dune, I love it...perhaps I should just leave it that.

the Somalian
Member # 6557

"wouldn't argue with the earlier top 5 comment, but I could make a case for: The Mote In God's Eye, Childhoods End, Ringworld, and an obscure one that I absolutely loved when I was younger, Earth Abides. I think if I spent more time on this I could do better but this was just off the cuff."

Okay...I'm so reading Ringworld now. You are the second person I've seen today who mentioned it in such overwhelmingly favorable terms...

I've read Childhood's End and I'd see it's good, but Clark was somewhat limited with his characters & prose...

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
why, in terms of imagination, it even surpasses Tolkien's LOTR saga in its daring fusion of politics, science and philosophy --in its compelling Machiavellian plot and memorable characters
This statement is far more risky and wrongheaded than any comparisons to OSC.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the Somalian
Member # 6557

"This statement is far more risky and wrongheaded than any comparisons to OSC."

Dune is my LOTR, you dig?

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, I dig, you daddio.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
It seems unfair to discuss this without Leto around, so let me just add this, hopefully in his spirit:

Damn straight. About time you realized it.

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I never felt the need to read Dune until I discovered that here I felt remarkably left out. So I did. And although I don't consider it the best science fiction novel of all time, I really liked the way it was written, and the characters, and therefore, I loved it.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
So, if it is your LOTR, then you admit that LOTR is the ruler you must measure it against?

Maybe you aren't as wrong as you seemed at first....

Kwea

[ May 26, 2004, 10:02 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hrm. I'd put foundation on any list of the greatest sci fi novels of all time. And if we're gonna talk lotr, then I think you also have to put memory sorrow and thorn in the top five... ahead of lotr. Ender's game is obviously up there, and dune is as well.

Off the top of my head, my list would go
MST, Dune, Ender's Game, Foundation, Pastwatch
in any order.

I would probably adjust that list if I thought about it for a while.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Welcome to my opinion, folks!
Like the LoveBoat, but without the 'exciting' and 'new'.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jalapenoman
Member # 6575

- posted      Profile for Jalapenoman   Email Jalapenoman         Edit/Delete Post 
Dune is like many series in SF where the first book is great and the rest are not up to par. I would put Ringworld on this list, along with the second Thomas Covenant series (not as good as the first three books), and Asimov's last Foundation novel. I think publishers force authors to write sequels so much that they ruin good ideas and series with less than valiant efforts (another example of this is all of the really bad movie sequels).

Fortunately, Tolkien is not around to be forced by a publisher to write "The return of the return of the king."

Posts: 279 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd put Dune in my top ten, certainly, as a standalone novel. As a series, it's not in the running.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
Stanislaw Lem -The Cyberiad Best Sci-Fi author alive. I mean...how can you compete with a book that has "A Good Shillacking" as a title of one of it's chapters? You just can't.
Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Put me down as another reader that considere Dune one of the best SF novels of all time, but not THE best.

And for those who are mentioning Childhood's End, I just don't understand where you're coming from. I read that book several months ago because it was on somebody's list of 100 best SF books, and I thought it was quite ordinary.

Personally, I think that there should be more Philip K. Dick on everybody top ## lists -- particularly A Scanner Darkly.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Put me right to sleep. [Sleep]

[ May 27, 2004, 09:55 AM: Message edited by: Sopwith ]

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
As a non SF reader, I will simply say that I have read the Ender's Quartet and 2 1/2 of the Dune books. Dune seemed pretty good while I was reading it, but I didn't feel compelled to finish the series. I think the measure of a great book is you don't have to be a genre junkie to like it. IM(ns)HO.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Dune ROCKS!!

"God Emperor" and "Chapterhouse" were my two favorites. God Emperor is the linchpin of the whole story.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
A Scanner Darkly was eerily accurate.

There are so many parallels that another thread would have to be started to discuss them all.

Mad, but prophetic.

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Robert Jordan modeled "Wheel of Time" after Dune.
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
After five aborted attempts to read Dune, I have resigned myself to taking a well-earned tongue lashing...

Other sci-fi authors I've tried to read without success have been Heinlein and, if he counts, Vonnegut.

[Angst]

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
Dune is one of my favorite words that rhyme with noon.
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

I hope Sci-fi channel makes "God-Emperor of Dune"... that would be COOL!! *can't wait till Battlestar*
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just about finished reading God Emperor of Dune for the second time. About half of what Leto says (and pretty much all of his quotes from the stolen journals) make me go "Herbert, just because you are incomprehensible doesn't mean you are profound."

Did anybody else feel this way, or am I just really thick and not understanding things?

edit: Maybe it's because I haven't read Chapterhouse nor Heretics of Dune. [Dont Know]

[ July 31, 2004, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Dune is definately one of my top 5, but I really can't say about best.

My top five would be: Dune, The Gods Themselves, Ender's Game, Pastwatch, The Naked Sun not especially in that order.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Are we talking about OSC's Pastwatch? Is it really that good? I've never picked it up because it looked incredibly dull.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
punwit:
quote:
I wouldn't argue with the earlier top 5 comment, but I could make a case for: The Mote In God's Eye, Childhoods End, Ringworld, and an obscure one that I absolutely loved when I was younger, Earth Abides.
Earth Abides is absolutely seminal. I wasn't aware that it's obscure; sad if true.

Dune as a standalone doesn't even register on my top 20. It was a fun, easy read, but I expect a little more from my sf, and books in general. As a series? Bleargh.

Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't like the first Dune book as much as the sequels--up until Chapterhouse, that is. God Emperor was my all-time favorite, and probably what I would consider the best sci-fi book apart from OSC's work.

I stopped reading the prequels. I got up to the Butlerin(sp?) Jihad, but the second one in that series was too full of made-up technical terms and bad soap-opera-like characters to keep me interested.

Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
[This post has been deleted for general crudeness.]

[ August 02, 2004, 08:15 AM: Message edited by: KathrynHJanitor ]

Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
I first read Dune in the 8th grade, after reading, for the most part, the endless Dungeons and Dragons-like novels that were abundant in the eighties.

So for me, Dune was the first novel I read that had enough substance for me to want to know more about science fiction novels. After reading all the sequels, and re-reading the sequels every few years, I love the series as a whole. Strangely, God, Emperor of Dune was my least favorite book, but was haunting enough for me to appreciate Herbert's work. But for me the real tradegy was finishing Dune: Chapterhouse Dune , seeing Herbert's vision being culminated in some sort of HUGE finale, and having his dream unfinshed. This is what makes the series so fascinating and frustrating for me.

I too was very excited about the prequels and the first two were horrible . However, the Butlerian Jihad novels have picked up considerably in pace and vision to Herbert's original works, and have given me just enough hope to keep reading.

I can only hope that if KJA and Brian finish this masterpiece that it is with more substance and material than the tripe that made up House Atreides and House Harkonnen

Is it the best sci-fi novel of all time? Geez, I dunno. I would honestly say I do not have a top novel to enshrine as number one, but if I did, it would most likely be Speaker for the Dead .

I too also vote highly for Tad Williams Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn series, and I too enjoyed them more than LOTR!

However, in terms of movie adaptations, LOTR spanks any and all challengers. Word.

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm dissapointed to read that Butlerian Jihad is better than the other two prequels. I haven't finished it, but it's pretty horrible. I can only imagine what the other two are like.

How much of the prequels are based on Frank Herber's ideas and how much was just made up for these books?

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
just out of curiousity.

have any of the post-mortem dune books been worth reading? I haven't bothered, but I did "love" that series for one obsessive summer.

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
As mr porteiro head eluded to, they are like Diet Dune. They remind you of Dune, but leave a bitter aftertaste that leaves you longing for the real thing. [Wall Bash]

[ August 02, 2004, 02:19 AM: Message edited by: Alucard... ]

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
alu,

thanks. good to know. I shall continue to avoid them like the Atkin's plague.

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Atkin's is communicable? [Angst]
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
Dune was just, well, downright boring. Sorry.
Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

That's OK. No matter how crappy something is, there are people that will love it. And no matter how good something is, some people won't like it.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.