FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I need some new music (Page 0)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I need some new music
Damien
Member # 5611

- posted      Profile for Damien   Email Damien         Edit/Delete Post 
I am often uploading CDs I have, so feel free to check back to that list anytime =)
Posts: 677 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Try some:

Evanescence
Tantric
Dropkick Murphys
Smash Mouth
Barenaked Ladies
Linkin Park

[ June 01, 2004, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: Eruve Nandiriel ]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
Guster

On The Rocks (University of Oregon a cappella ensemble; you probably won't be able to find any of their stuff though. They do covers of Jimmy Eat World, Guster, etc.)

Ozma - kinda like weezer

Ever tried Radiohead? Muse?

Spoon

Jets to Brazil?

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien
Member # 5611

Aww, I saw Muse at Coachella! I do recommend.
Posts: 677 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

Damien, you've got Ugly Cassanova but no Modest Mouse? (P.S. I've got no Ugly Cassanova wink, wink -AIM: NatoCV)

Death Cab for Cutie is good too.

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmmmm, Jets to Brazil.

*approves*

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien
Member # 5611

I do have MM, I just haven't gotten a chance to upload any of it/move it to Windows. =)
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Ok, Nato, stop naming all my favorite bands! It's a little freaky [Razz]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien
Member # 5611

And Nato, I can't send you anything if you're away. [Wink] [Wink] And CERTAINLY not if you're being schooled!
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
sounds like you would enjoy both travis and radiohead. hmm, and maybe damien rice, too.
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
Here are links to some legal downloads for some of the bands I mentioned above:

Face to Face
facetofacemusic.com - in the media section under audio
Vagrant Records - Search for Face to Face

Jawbreaker
Kiss The Bottle

The Weakerthans
theweakerthans.org - Look in the audio + visual for some links

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks alot guys. This has got me started at least [Smile]
Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

Okay, MyrddinFyre; I'll try to list some stuff you might not have heard of.
  • Troubled Hubble - Geek rock! Try out stuff here and don't miss the canoe game (to the tune of "I Love My Canoe")
  • Arlo - not so well known, but I like them.
  • Alkaline Trio - they remind me of The Ataris somewhat. (The earlier Ataris stuff at least)
  • The Pixies (ok, so you'll have heard of them)
  • The Postal Service (the guy from Death Cab for Cutie's other band)

UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I am soooo uncool and out of the loop. I have no idea who 95% of these musicians are. I guess that's what I get for listening to talk radio and classic rock.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien
Member # 5611

Yay Alkaline Trio. And That Guy's name is Ben Gibbard. =)
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

Hey UofUlawguy, why don't you suggest some?
Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Cool, there's two I don't have music from. [Smile]

*runs off to look up Arlo and Troubled Hubble*

Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Right there with ya, UofUlawguy. I think the kind of music I like is the kind that no one else but me listens to.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

And what music is that Space Opera?
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, today I was listening to the Glenn Miller Orchestra. I don't know why, but I like that stuff, dangit. I like Ella Fitzgerald and Billie Holiday a lot as well.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
How about Creedence Clearwater Revival? The Eagles? Elton John ('70s stuff)? Bachman Turner Overdrive?

Or how about John Williams? All his film scores are great, even when the movies aren't. His non-film stuff is wonderful too. I particularly like his Olympic fanfares.

You can't go wrong with a CD full of Chopin's piano Nocturnes or Preludes.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Ok, you are all my new best friends. Lots of good music up in heah. [Smile]
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

I think I've got some Creedence lying around in my computer. We're not completely lost [Smile]

But you should be open to some of this newfangled music as well.

UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

Yeah, I guess I'll go listen to all of that in my copious free time.

Why do you think geezers get out of touch in the first place? I have been hit upside the head with Life!

Actually, I have been listening to what I think of as the teenagers' radio station on my evening commute sometimes, just so I can try to figure out what's going on out there.

porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
i love billie holliday.

i have come to learn there are always people that listen to the music you think no one else listens to.

take it from me, the girl that listens to pygmies making music with water. you are not alone. no matter how much you wish you were [Wink]

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Polio
Member # 6479

- posted      Profile for Polio   Email Polio         Edit/Delete Post 
Project 86! Drawing Black Lines is my favorite album by them.
Posts: 165 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's some stuff worth trying:

Muse
Stockholm Syndrome, Sing for Absolution, Apocalypse Please

The Music
Turn Out the Light, The People, Take the Long Road and Walk It

Tool
Parabola, Lateralus, Stinkfist

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien
Member # 5611

I have a Billie Holiday collection around here, someplace.... *goes off to look*
Space Opera
Member # 6504

Guess I'm not so weird as I thought! I actually started listening to jazz and swing music once I had kids, since much of what's on the radio is inappropriate for them to hear. Hence, I have a 9 y/o son who loves jazz, and a 6 y/o daughter who loves to turn on Celtic music while she plays in her room.

space opera

ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
I've found a lot of people enjoy music like Nightwish (think Evanesence, only better)...and you can't go wrong with Queen...
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
The Music: Getaway

can't leave that one out Twinky!

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Billie Holliday is The Lady. Tragic and sultry and wry. Her songs make me cry and fill me with hope. I love her stuff.

Get some Sam Cooke. His voice is like honey and his phrasing is exquisite. His early stuff with the Soul-Stirrers is good, too (gospel, mostly). One thing I like about his music is that it is extremely sing-a-long-able. It's at a normal range (for me), not too high, not too low (except in spots). I grew up listening to Sam Cooke, and he is constantly in my mp3 player (alongside Evanescence and Nickelback, talk about eclectic!). A good song to start with is...well, they are all so good..."Cupid" is a good one, as is "Chain Gang". A social issues-type song he sang (early Civil Rights song) is "A Change is Gonna Come". Kind of prophetic, considering he was murdered before the Change actually Came.

Some frivolous "beach music" I like (again, older stuff) is Jimmy Buffett. Forget "Margaritaville", it's not his best song. Listen to "Cheeseburger in Paradise" (my six year old LOVES that song) and "My African Friend".

Speaking of Africa, try all of Paul Simon's "Graceland Album". I believe it was the beginning of the "World Music" movement (don't argue with me, I'm not emotionally invested in this opinion, hehe). This album is one he did in collaboration with the group Ladysmith Black Mambazo (sp?), a musical group from South Africa that uses really incredible vocals and 'stomp'. There's a song I like and I can't remember the name of it, but I believe it includes the name "Joseph" in the title (does anyone know what I am talking about?). Oh, and Linda Ronstadt sings on one of the tracks, and I love her, too.

More "World Music/prominent Western Musician" crossover stuff is Peter Gabriel's work (most recent stuff, although 'Sledgehammer' uses some common threads). I am not too familiar with it, but my coworker is very fond of it. I should really look into it.

Just to keep me from being a total fogey: I really enjoyed Pink's "Mizundastood" album. It's not flawless, but I am interested in seeing how she develops as an artist. The songs on that album are all pretty different, and I hope she explores more of her "torch singer" mode. I like Hip-Hop and R&B, but it's not my favorite. I think she could go in many directions.

I love these threads.

Oh, and to steal Elizabeth's thunder: Try Donna the Buffalo! [Wink]

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien
Member # 5611

That whole Peter Gabriel album, So, is really good, not just Sledgehammer. =)
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
A perfect Circle - 3 libras
Tool - Lateralus

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Scatter the Ashes.
Splender.
Vex Red.
Pacifier.
Jet.

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

Oh, no, I really like So , it's just not what I was thinking of when I was thinking of Peter Gabriel's "World Music".

*smile*

And I think that more people should post *about* the bands, not just the names of the bands. [Smile] Because I am lazy and tired of googling the names of bands.

[Dont Know]

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
*sucks at putting music into genres. [Razz] Goes back to paying attention in stats class like a good girl*
Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
download PINTS OF GUINNESS MAKE YOU STRONG or TSR (THIS SHIT RULES) by a band called AGAINST ME!

and

SLUTTERING or ACCIDENT PRONE - JAWBREAKER

[ June 02, 2004, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: Ben ]

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nefarious
Member # 6591

- posted      Profile for Nefarious   Email Nefarious         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends what you're looking for I guess, but here's some stuff;

-Razed In Black (Sin, Master, Oh My Goth, I Worship You)
-Nothingface (Filthy, Murder is Masturbation)
-Bright Eyes (Haligh Haligh A Lie Haligh, Lover I Don't Have to Love)
-Penis Flytrap (The Dead Hate the Living)
-The Reindeer Section (Who Told You, Your Sweet Voice)

Ha, there you have it, the best of Industrial, Metal, and Melancholia. (Do not listen to Bright Eyes while your depressed, 'kay?)

Posts: 8 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarfa
Member # 579

- posted      Profile for sarfa   Email sarfa         Edit/Delete Post 
Bands I suggest:

The Mars Volta: This band rocks. Pink Floyd meets indie rock with a hint of old Santana and a touch of jazz.

Further Seems Forever: Chris Carrabba's band before he started Dashboard Confessional. They have kept going without him and are flat out amazing. In fact, they have a new album coming out in August with their third different singer (Jonathan Bunch of the now disbanded Sensefield).

Sensefield: They just released their final album last year and were a great band.

Cave-In: Try Antenna and Jupiter. These guys are an amazing rock band (watch out for their older stuff though, they used to be a brutal metal-core band).

The Gloria Record: They just broke up, but they put out some great mellow, ambient rock before they collapsed.

Sleeping at Last: Mellow emo band with some great hooks.

Zwann: Billy Corgan's post Smashing Pumkins project. I think they are even better than the Pumpkins were; they have great textures and a much mellower vibe.

The Fire Theft: Suny Day Real Estate Broke up and four of the original members formed this band. If you liked the later, more mellow Sunny Day, these guys are for you.

Sunny Day Real Estate: IT ocurs to me, that maybe you've never heard Sunny Day Real Estate. Buy them now.

Interpol: Mellow indie Rock from NYC.

Lacuna Coil: Great Italian band. Evanescence with a more eclectic (and technically proficient)sound.

Elliot: They broke up a little while ago, but they made three great records that all have very different sound and feels (False Cathedrals is my favorite).

[ June 03, 2004, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: sarfa ]

Posts: 748 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

i second Elliott. FALSE CATHEDRALS is just a ****ing amazing album. and SONG IN THE AIR was a worthy follow up.

CURSIVE - The Ugly Organ is the brilliant record that Cursive hinted at being able to make with their prior record DOMESTICA

HOT WATER MUSIC - FUEL FOR THE HATE GAME is just a great rock record. this band proves that you do not need any singing ability as long as you have a solid backing band. and somehow yet, the vocals WORK exceptionally well.

i also second CAVE IN. as for that watching out for that older stuff comment, their upcoming new record is a return to hardcore form.

[ June 03, 2004, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: Ben ]

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

music threads almost always bring sarfa back to the neighborhood [Smile]

great suggestions.

Ben
Member # 6117

i forgot the BLOOD BROTHERS - Burn, Piano Island, Burn.

while not for everyone, this insane hardcore band puts on one of the greatest live shows ive ever been privvy to. and this cd is also just an amazing sonic assault that will make your ears burn, but no int he traditional hardcore style. these singers umm,, screach more than anybody else ive heard save for Mike Patton. But the record is catchy at the same time. its amazing.

i feel the band picks up on BURN PIANO ISLAND BURN where REFUSED left off with Shape of Punk To Come as far as changing the face of punk goes.

[ June 03, 2004, 05:56 PM: Message edited by: Ben ]

narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
The Dollyrots
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"Oh, and to steal Elizabeth's thunder: Try Donna the Buffalo!"

Jexx, you are not stealing my thunder, simply adding to the thunder of Buffalo hooves! As a prize for mentioniing them here, or anywhere, send me your address, and I will send you a cd!
(edob63@yahoo.com)

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

Elizabeth! That's so nice of you! I'm going to send you my address right now (far be it from me to deny myself the pleasure of a cd!)

I was putting my tongue firmly in cheek when I said I was stealing your thunder, btw. *smile* I knew you would be tickled that another Hatracker mentioned DtB.

*grin*

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Tongue in or out of cheek, the cd is yours, plus bonuses!
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

Check your email. *smile*

Make no mistake, my tongue was NOT in my cheek when I suggested DtB, I really do think they are worth looking into...my tongue was in my cheek when I intimated stealing your thunder. Am I explaining too much? Argh, I am killing the Funny.

Hehe.

I am way excited about DtB coming in the mail (plus bonuses! wooooot!). You're the best Elizabeth--evah!

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

St. Yogi,
Didn't mean to derail your thread. I can send you some music, too! Just give me your address(see my email above)

Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
You might dig Bob Schneider. He used to be the lead singer of a punk band called The Scabs, and then The Ugly Americans. Recently, though, he's tuned it down, and now he mostly just rocks.

From the introduction of the new album at his website:

quote:
Hi everybody. So, this is the new record. It's called "I'm good now." Some people might think that that refers to me getting it together, finally, and doing the right thing, and playing by the rules, and stuff like that. But it actually refers to being dead. The whole idea behind it is life sucks, but now that I'm dead: I'm good now. It's like, I wasn't doing that good but now that I'm dead, it's all gravy.
You can hear that, and about 65% of his latest album at his
website.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.