FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Thing Hatrack Mormons Have Been Trying To Say (Page 5)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: The Thing Hatrack Mormons Have Been Trying To Say
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Two HUNDRED!
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
and one!
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, kat, there's honestly no reason to apologize. Frankly, if I were making jokes about Jesus' penis, I'd fully expect people to be offended. And I would CERTAINLY have recognized it as vulgarity.

Since I don't think I've made a scatological joke in years, and don't really acknowledge 'em when they're made, the whole concept was off my radar. Consequently, I thought you were over-reacting. So, really, I should apologize.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob the Lawyer:

quote:
frankly, I really don't care if you find that comment offensive...I can assure you that I won't remember. It's just not worth the effort to me
If people insist on tromping around Hatrack in big boots, then we're just going to have to grow thicker skins and not be so easily offended.

Tom:

quote:
...hard to shake
I must have a dirty mind too.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
lurk more.
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i know inside jokes and cultural references can definitely exclude people, but i suppose my back was still raised about the whole secrecy thing and wanted to make sure it was understood that there is no secrecy in what is discussed here at hatrack.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unless I'm horribly mistaken, a post I wrote last night replying to this comment was deleted, making the irony a tad amusing.

quote:
Richard, I seem to remember your post, on page 1, right? To tell you the truth, I didn't understand it, so I ignored it. Maybe that's an example of the type of unexplained reference we are trying to avoid?

I'm terrible with names, so I have to admit I don't even know whether you're LDS, Ela [Embarrassed]

Anyway, the post made reference to a practice that I had reason to believe was still secret, although I openly admitted to having no personal experience. Assuming I'm not hallucinating, I was right.

quote:
Kama, I think it comes, in part, from the general disdain that America has for quaint or old-fashioned versions of its own culture.
I don't have any problems with this statement. It's less true of Hatrackers, of course; this place is nothing if not quaint [Smile]
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm confused, I'm supposed to make big boots out of people with thick skins?

What are you trying to say, Skill?

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
*blink* I thought YOU deleted that post, Richard. I was wondering where it went. I really, REALLY hate when the mods delete things without reason or notification.

[ June 09, 2004, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

Bob, I'm trying to say that people should be allowed a certain amount of reckless tromping without fear of offending anyone and without having to apologise.

People with thin skins need to toughen up and stop whining.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Screw toughening up my skin. For what do you think Robotech exoskeletons were invented?

[Smile]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
and people that tromp need to pull their boots up a little higher and deal with the whining.

it goes both ways and comes in all colors.

this is not in reference to anyone's specific comments or cause. this is just a test.
of how much time i really have to waste.
dear heavens i hope i don't die tomorrow, that would be really disappointing.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
i've missed your lack of capitals porcelain dear

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That's okay, nobody from Hatrack ever wants to talk to me on AIM anymore . . .
Maybe if you weren't always away . . .
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
edit: Ignore this post. It never happened. [Big Grin]

[ June 09, 2004, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, that's a very Spanish construction, which serves to make me all the more curious about Bok.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
i know inside jokes and cultural references can definitely exclude people, but i suppose my back was still raised about the whole secrecy thing and wanted to make sure it was understood that there is no secrecy in what is discussed here at hatrack.

Unless I'm horribly mistaken, a post I wrote last night replying to this comment was deleted, making the irony a tad amusing.

quote:
Richard, I seem to remember your post, on page 1, right? To tell you the truth, I didn't understand it, so I ignored it. Maybe that's an example of the type of unexplained reference we are trying to avoid?

I'm terrible with names, so I have to admit I don't even know whether you're LDS, Ela [Embarrassed]

Anyway, the post made reference to a practice that I had reason to believe was still secret, although I openly admitted to having no personal experience. Assuming I'm not hallucinating, I was right.

quote:
Kama, I think it comes, in part, from the general disdain that America has for quaint or old-fashioned versions of its own culture.
I don't have any problems with this statement. It's less true of Hatrackers, of course; this place is nothing if not quaint [Smile]

quote:
When I first came to Hatrack, I honestly don't remember so many Mormons being there. Maybe I wasn't paying attention, or maybe there was a different balance of threads, but for whatever it was, it seemed like the balance of things has changed. That is not bad, but...this is what I was trying to say in the other thread and apparently did not explain well enough.
I think there are numerically more Mormons right now than ever before, but in my opinion they don't command any larger mindshare than they did in 1997. My perception may be slightly biased by the fact that before I found this place I had barely even heard of the religion's existance, making the multifaceted discussions a little overwhelming at first, but I don't think it's inaccurate. Tom, AK, Yozhik, etc. feel free to correct me.

What _has_ changed is the number of threads. Duh. But since it's the same core group of people writing 10 posts per day instead of 10 per month, we end up covering a lot more details. In the early days the contentious topics were broad enough (gays, evolution, theism, etc.) that you couldn't tell at a glance who was a conservative Mormon vs. a conservative Protestant. The change since then has been a good thing, at least educationally.

As for the proliferation of fluff threads, social cliques, AIM, foobonic, etc. -- it's impossible to worry about them. Every community (especially online) has subcommunities. Take part if it appeals to you, or don't. It's not like they're measuring cup size at the sorority door entrance.

Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This sentence is a good example of why dangling participles are a good thing.
I don't think that means what you think that means. Actually, that's not true. I know that doesn't mean what you think it means.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Berg, Tom:

Do you HONESTLY have no clue why that post was deleted? The Cards are NOT tollerant of having Temple rituals discussed or described on their site. And no, it's not even allowed on Nauvoo.

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
But they don't go around deleting every post about eating babies, do they?

[Wink]

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Frisco does have a point... [Monkeys]
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Argh! You are correct! Let me try this again:
quote:
For what do you think Robotech exoskeletons were invented?
This sentence is a good example of why it is good to end a sentence with a preposition.

[ June 09, 2004, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
What an interesting thread. I'm likely to be self-indulgent and will speak in generalities which will not hold true in specific cases. Also, the opinions expressed in this post reflect those of one person who doesn't spend much time around here recently. You've been warned.

Banna,
You put your finger on one of the main complaints I have about Hatrack in a way I've never really thought of it before. No doubt other people see it differently, but, to me, Hatrack has become (or maybe has continued to be) far too sterile.

From my perspective, with rare exceptions, this is not a place where things grow. There's an essential lack of creative vitality, such that even keeping a simple productive thread like a book discussion (or dkw's Bible discussion) going is a major chore and will generally come down to two or three people fighting to keep it alive.

What vitality there is generally takes the psuedo-life form of people yelling at each other or a sort of bs, often passive-agressive, taking offense. In my opinion, such empty passion doesn't constitute interesting or lively debate.

quote:
We speak with passion. We listen with respect.
I used to think that these problems came from a lack of commitment to the second problem of this statement. Now, while I still think that there is a very problematical lack of respect here, I think that there is also a failure to live up to the first part. It might be more accurately said that "We react with passion."

To me, there is a big difference from the sort of reactive, defensive passion that we seem to have in great supply and a more internal, creative one. Maybe I'm just deluding myself, but I tend to think that I am a priori passionate about ideas. I like it when people disagree with me, or at least when there is an air of mutual respect between us. I tend to not really care and to walk away from people who I don't think it would be productive to talk to. They don't interest me. Often here I see the opposite pattern. People seem to be specifically drawn to non-productive discussions or aspects of discussions that at the least give them an excuse to act angry. I worry sometimes that they think that this is the only way they can feel passion. Life is more - much more - than sound and fury, signifying nothing.

To touch briefy on the lack of respect issue, one of my favorite theorists once said something like "It's common for people to say that 'To a person with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.' I want to expand that to say that 'To a person with a hammer, a screw looks like a deformed nail.'" To often, people seem to treat others' screws as deformed nails and the people themselves as incompetent carpenters. There are an infinite number of ways to build a life. Deriding someone else's and believing them incapable of recognizing good construction solely because they use a different method than the one that works for you is supremely foolish. Your One True Way wraps astounding amounts of hubris along with disrespect in one contemptible little package.

If you combine these two ideas, you get the sort of canned answer style of debate that you were talking about. I am constantly suprised by how lacking in complexity people's views of their own beliefs and of other people in general are. The canned answer, irrespective of context, is a prime example of this. If you can sum up the "right" way of thinking about these complex issues in a couple of pre-packaged ideas, you're either deluding yourself or a much wiser person than I. I also get the feeling like it's not worth giving the people who disagree with you more than this or to expect anything of value back from them, because they're too stupid/evil/liberal/conservative/etc. to have good reasons for what they believe anyway.

OF course, me saying that is sort of ironic, because that's almost the stance I've more or less taken with Hatrack. I've largely stopped posting the interesting thoughts that I have in response to what other people have said (for example, there's a whole sacred/profane angle to this thread that I think is really interesting) because I've come to regard this as largely pointless here. Maybe it's just that people aren't interested in the things that interest me, but it seems to me that maybe people aren't interested - perhaps are largely incapable of being interested - at all.

----

Obviously, I'm completely wrong here and you should feel free to dismiss everything I've said. However, maybe keep it just a little bit in mind. Live with it a little while before passing a final judgement on it.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Squick, if Hatrack is so uninterested and uninteresting, why do you keep coming back?
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This isn't a Mormons versus the world thing. This is a some people aren't sure they have a place here anymore thing. HERE on Hatrack. And while people on 'both' sides are trying to explain it away by explaining the LDS faith, that isn't it. If suddenly every thread was about showing dogs, I would wonder if I still belonged. Does that mean I hate dogs, or people who show them? Of course not! It just means that I'm suddenly in a place I don't feel I belong in.

It's like the fluff phases. And before you get all offended, I'm not calling your religion fluff, I'm drawing a parallel. Occasionally we hit a period where every thread is a game or a joke and some people find themselves suddenly without a serious conversation to be involved in. And they complain, and we throw electronic snowballs at them and they start serious threads and all is right with the 'rack.

Only this is worse because people take their beliefs so much more seriously than anything else. And anyone that addresses them in less than a supportive manner evokes a threatened response. On all sides. And suddenly we forget what we're even talking about. It's not about the validity of any religions practices, people.

This is about Hatrack. Us as individuals who belong to that one group that is Hatrack. Us as individuals who wonder if we still belong when we don't see any place we fit.

It will pass or it will not pass. I think that the more time we spend trying to define what side we're on, the less likely it is to pass. Those sides only exist if you pick one. I don't want to pick a side; I want to pick people. I want to pick you. I want to pick us.

You hit the nail on the head, celia
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
*applauds*
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
*Secedes from the clump, becomes an Independent Mormon*
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
WOW! I had no idea this topic would be so incendiary.

I am curious as to whether or not any of those who have indicated frustration/indignation feel better? Has this thread been cathartic or has it been exacerbatory.

Apparently I have a very thick skin when it comes to proselytization. I've actually had fun when approached by LDS folks. I enjoy a good religious discussion. Perhaps my enjoyment of debate and fencing with words make me less than a ideal candidate for conversion though.

I still maintain that skillery or any other Mormon Hatracker that indicates that they would be ecstatic if all their loved ones converted is being truthful as opposed to being disdainful

I am passionate about making and judging beer. If someone asked I would sing the praises of ale and lager. I would bore you to tears with the minutia of zymurgy. I would regale you with reasons not to drink American Light Lagers. Does this make me a snob? Perhaps, but more likely it just makes me passionate about my beloved hobby.

I think that we all need to have a cold one, or not, and realize that this is a pretty damn good message board.

If you think the thread has been cathartic and cleared the air then, wonderful. If you aren't feeling happy ask yourself if you believe that further posting will remedy this for you. I for one have enjoyed it. So, thanks to everyone that contributed.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
Squick. Bah. Really. As if all the religious people in the world are going to give up the "chosen people" status that comes with knowing you've found truth. As if anyone could prove that our somehow becoming homogenously accepting of one another's totally different paths to truth would bring on some sort of life-changing enlightenment for humanity. Even Hindus, with their much-vaunted multiple paths and gods (you can devote yourself to any of them as they are all aspects of Brahman) often end up hating and killing each other. Ditto the different "rafts" in Buddhism (big, little, diamond, etc.). So don't be surprised when people blow off your elitist psychobabble, doc.
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I learned, as a wee child, that ending a sentence with a preposition was generally bad style.

I have never been a stickler on this point.

That said, I guess I'd been noticing I'd done it a lot today, to the point that my "sentence-ending preposition) capacity was full, and so I switched it up (consciously).

I still think it reads okay, if affected. [Smile]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
You old foggies think everything was better in the "good ol' days" [Razz]

Whee! Look at me! I'm young and carefree!

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

*thwaps punwit* Back in your box newbie. You clearly haven't been around long enough to think the thread is over or cathartic yet. This thread is probably going to go on for at least another five pages and degenerate several times into fluff before the end.

It's a classic hatrack introspection thread. But I think this time there is a deeper undertone than others because we are getting to the core of some big issues here.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
...and prolific!

Edit: to beverly.

[ June 09, 2004, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: eslaine ]

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I am curious as to whether or not any of those who have indicated frustration/indignation feel better? Has this thread been cathartic or has it been exacerbatory.

I haven't indicated frustration, but these threads are uniformly frustrating. It's like everyone is speaking at once.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
*reads with enthusiasm*
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

Oww, BannaOj would you please be kind enough to let me outa this "newbie box" when it is relevant to post my thoughts. I would really appreciate that. [Taunt]
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

Oh, and Scott, I loved your zhug poem. [Big Grin]

It made me laugh out loud. [Razz]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Hmmmm, yes, I am prolific. I have had three children in 5 years and I post waaaay too much.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

whoops I guess I should have added a smiley so you'd know I was teasing punwit!
[Wink]
AJ

skillery
Member # 6209

punwit:

quote:
I think that we all need to have a cold one
And for those mourning the disappearance of good root beer extract, River City Homebrew has you covered.
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

i had two friends in the central valley. i told them to date eachother.

now i'm prolific.

Ela
Member # 1365

quote:
Somewhere, celia remembered when the blatant and only-between-Mormons discussions were directed to Nauvoo.
That was me, Katie. Just setting the record straight. [Smile]
punwit
Member # 6388

It's ok BannaOj [Kiss]
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
shh, ela, i was enjoying that credit. [Wink]
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm kinda against abortion, making me prolific.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

*looks at self*
hmm I'm transparent
I must be an old foggy

AJ

Richard Berg
Member # 133

Taalcon, please, it's blatantly obvious why the post was deleted.

Porce: I just want to assure everyone there are no secrets on Hatrack
Richard: I'm pretty sure [this] is still secret
TPTB: maybe if we're sneaky nobody will notice that Porc was wrong

For the record, all I did was mention a name that would have no meaning to those without pretty in-depth knowledge of Mormon theology. No descriptions were given. If that's not allowed here, fine, but don't pretend like this is an open society.

Oh, and it wasn't a mendacious troll like that anti-Mormon website that got a thread deleted a couple weeks ago. I had an LDS source tell me by private email that it was actually overly charitable.

Tom, don't let deletions get you down. If you have something truly meaningful you don't want to lose, just don't post it (or be sure to keep good archives). Their loss.

Ela
Member # 1365

::laughs at celia:: [Big Grin]
Richard Berg
Member # 133

Hmm, strange 1.5X-post up there. Didn't know the crack would take effect so quickly.
beverly
Member # 6246

AJ: Ooops. Somehow putting just one "g" in that word feels... wrong.
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Where I come from fog is usually rather opaque.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.