FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Thing Hatrack Mormons Have Been Trying To Say (Page 8)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: The Thing Hatrack Mormons Have Been Trying To Say
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
oooh, let's replace the word "bloc" with "cake!" in every post!
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
saxon, in your defense, I had been in and out of skimming this thread up to that point, and didn't fully understand the larger context of the question when I answered it. And honestly, your bad reaction made me think more closely about what I was saying. My more recent explanation is, in fact, what I think about the matter. My earlier comments were more careless and flippant. Sorry I ticked you off
And I'm sorry for being too prickly. We coo' now, Dog.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Intentional obtuseness has saved my bacon more than once, let me tell you.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
(((Bob)))

*hi-fives Mack*

*wanders off laughing*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
You know it's good when you scandalize yourself. [Big Grin]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
It's a very human trait, mack - never lose it! I'd hate to be alone!

Hey, Kayla - have you read The Way We Never Were by Stephanie Coontz? I think you'd enjoy it. It pretty much shreds the myths of the 1950s on all fronts.

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cochick
Member # 6167

- posted      Profile for cochick   Email cochick         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to start out by saying that when I took part in the deleted thread, in defence of Skillery's comments, I didn't mean to upset or offend anyone. I realised after thinking about my post that I hadn't worded it very well and when I got back to Hatrack was going to apologise - I was shocked and upset that it had been deleted as I did understand the point of the thread and felt that it was a useful discussion to have. So I do apologise if I upset you with my comments. Punwit put it so much better than I did at the beginning of this thread.

Do non-mormon Hatrackers really have us all lumped into a scary group which overcomes our individual personalities. I can't remember most of the time who else is LDS or isn't.

I do have the same religious beliefs as other LDS but I certainly don't have the same cultural, political, ideological and personal beliefs as they do. We do not all have the same views and arguments and I know a lot of LDS who hold church backed views but couldn't argue there way out of a paper bag. I can't see how our presence can stagnate discussion.

Many others have commented on "the subtle LDS references and nudges that only the initiated "get"". I definitely felt this way when I joined Hatrack and it had nothing to do with the LDS - it was because "Jatqueros" (as an example) have them - a lot - it probably seemed more intense to me because I'd never frequented any other forum before. As said by lots of others this happens when any group of people become close whether the connection is Religion, a forum, a similar hobby, school, country, love of certain author. It's part of life to cope with it surely.

quote:
And I think that Home Teachers would be more effective if dubbed "Apostacy Avengers" and fitted with spandex and capes.
[ROFL]

There's also been a lot of response to the comments about "certain rites" being "more destructive then any good that comes out of it". You've obviously heard our explanations about Temple work being sacred and disregard our beliefs because you don't agree with them so there's no point in going over that. I know you tried to clarify your statement by saying it doesn't matter why we do it but why people think we do it. But we don't change church doctrines so other people will be happy with us - we believe we're obeying a commandment from God. Just as our doctrines on marriage or homosexuality aren't going to change even if they're not popular. We're not vying for popularity - we just want to live our beliefs - and we allow others to do the same.

I've only had time to read up to page 3 but must go to bed.

Posts: 394 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Shan, I haven't, but will add it to my list. Thanks!
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've only had time to read up to page 3 but must go to bed.
no kidding, home-slice.

*le sigh*

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking about a couple areas where non-Mormons might feel excluded in the real world.

Weddings - Before Hatrack, I was under the belief that non-Mormons could not attend Mormon wedding ceremonies. That used to bug me. Not much, since at the time I didn't have any good friends who were Mormons whose wedding I would be getting excluded from.

I could still be mistaken, but aren't Temple marriages a very small affair and very few people, Mormon or non-Mormon are allowed to attend? Then you have a larger ceremony where everyone is invited?

Funerals - I went to a funeral years ago for the wife of a coworker, but wasn't allowed into the inner room where the casket was. I didn't really know her well and I was there primarily for my coworker, so it didn't bother me. But it would if it had been a good friend. Am I remembering this wrong? What is the policy regarding funeral services?

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
zgator -- let me clarify.

We only have one "ceremony" when a couple is married in the temple, and that takes place in the temple. It is customary to have a wedding reception later that day, but there is no ceremony involved.

You are correct that many Mormons do not get invited to the sealing ceremony.

For funerals, it is customary to have a small, intimate viewing of the body for the family. There is no ceremony. If you were a very close friend, a member of the family might invite you to that private viewing. But maybe not. That's just up to the family.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, this thread has had an effect on me. On another thread, somebody brought up something about Utah culture. I felt like starting a new thread on a tangent of it, but then I thought "Oh. Maybe this topic is too mormony. I guess I'd better not post it." So I didn't. And I was sad. [Frown]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Porter.

As to your thread idea, as a non-Mormon, I would still be interested in seeing where it goes. I don't think it's too Mormony.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.