FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack Cliques (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Hatrack Cliques
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
Invariably they are people who know each other in real life:

• Members of the same family
  • Co-workers
  • School buddies
  • Neighbors
  • People who have attended one of the various -CONs, Clumps, or Shindas
Their most obnoxious behaviors:
  • Spinning fluff in the middle of a serious thread.
  • Taking a thread discussion to private chat or e-mail.
What can be done about it?
  • Nothing; it’s a fact of life here at Hatrack. Attend a CON if you dare, but be prepared to have your butt kicked by a chick wearing army boots or thigh-high sexy boots.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
I say we kill them.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Are you saying that you are against having your butt kicked by a chick wearing army boots or thigh-high sexy boots?
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

Army boots would be a welcome change.

Taupe pumps don't do much for me anymore.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
Heaven forbid people to bond.
Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a rule against that in the bible too?
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
BtL, actually raventh1 was reading an incorrect translation. As anyone who has read the original aramaic would clearly know, the verse quoted by raventh1 is actually "Heaven forbid people to Bond-O."

And I can't say that I disagree with that sentiment. Bond-O should not be mixed with people, it _is_ an abomination.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
what is wrong with people taking conversations to email or a chatroom?

do i have to change clothes in front of you people, too??!!

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Yah... I don't know anyone here on the "outside".... So keep your thoughts where I can see them! [Wink]
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

*Thinks of Telp in taupe pumps*
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
if you don't take the bait, the trolls can't bite you, kids.

skillery i can't decide on. does he know what a troll he is? are his posts intentionally as loaded as they read? he said in his other thread that he would sit back and watch. i think this would do him a lot of good if he isn't a troll.

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

Hey, what happened to the comfortable sneakers?
celia60
Member # 2039

i decided i'm not playing.
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
do i have to change clothes in front of you people, too??!!
Yes, yes, you do.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a clique? Where's a clique? Can I be in a clique? Am I already part of a clique? If not, I'm gonna start my own clique. It's gonna be for ummm....thinking....people who think "Spirit" is a movie worth crying through, like lightening bugs, think the only topping worth having on a pizza is cheese, and who have read the book "Bug City." Crap. I'm a clique of one.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I am still trying to decide if skillery is being serious, silly, or tongue-in-cheek.

Sometimes your remarks, skillery, come off as either obtuse or clueless, I haven't decided which.

But you DO seem to have a sense of humor about yourself. [Smile]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh, I thought you had to have a point, or at least take a more solid stand on something to be taken as "serious, silly or tongue-in-cheek". As it is now, he seems to be making a somewhat vague statement and a very roundabout judgement of this behavior. Maybe I'm missing something, because he appears to have offended a lot of people, but, to me, it doesn't seem to warrant such a reaction.
Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I'll join your clique, Space Opera. But I think you should know that I like my pizza Hawaiian or BBQ chicken. Mmmmmmm. *Will make pizza tonight*
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, Bev - we'll do half/half. Just don't let any of your icky stuff touch my cheese!

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

um... erm.. oh.. right.. pizza
Ela
Member # 1365

quote:
Uh, I thought you had to have a point, or at least take a more solid stand on something to be taken as "serious, silly or tongue-in-cheek". As it is now, he seems to be making a somewhat vague statement and a very roundabout judgement of this behavior. Maybe I'm missing something, because he appears to have offended a lot of people, but, to me, it doesn't seem to warrant such a reaction.
That's because one of the posts in which he offended some people was deleted, and the other one is posted elsewhere.

I don't know, though. I don't think he is deliberately trying to offend people. I think that he just barrels right into things without thinking through exactly how people are going to react to what he is saying.

[ June 09, 2004, 04:17 PM: Message edited by: Ela ]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

I used to think that, but now I'm not so sure. This is the second shot at me he's taken this week. I'm not offended by either, but I am a little bothered that he spends so much time on me.
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
He's stalking you.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
He loves you, celia.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
maybe he wants celia hot and bothered...

(what if it is Bill lurking?)
[Wink]
AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

quote:
seem to have a sense of humor about yourself.
Thanks Ela.

Somebody yesterday in my apology thread wanted to get peevish about the supposed existence of cliques here.

I got to thinking about it last night.

Yeah, there are close-knit circles of people here. Call them cliques if you will. So what?

And as someone else implied, the initiation process into some of these groups might be considered fun. Masochistic maybe.

celia60
Member # 2039

AJ,should i punish him by cooking?

fine, then i'll work from the assumption that you're just an idiot. hey, idiot, leave me alone. i'm not interested in being friends. i'm not interested in being enemies. just leave me alone.

[ June 09, 2004, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: celia60 ]

T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am still trying to decide if skillery is being serious, silly, or tongue-in-cheek.

I'd say tongue in cheek. Easier to make clique-ing noises that way.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
What she *is* interested in, is me.

Gimme some sugar, baby.

Groovy.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I am part of a one-person clique. *cough*.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

I angered celia at Sakeriver in a discussion about friends, and who can be your friend. And I came off as a sexist pig, trying to communicate that as a married man, I have to be careful in my friendships with women.

Celia joked (I think she was joking) that she would kick my butt if I showed up a KamaCON. I think Kama said as much as well.

Anyway, celia started posting pictures of some of the various hobbies and activities she does, like shooting and sailing, and I recognized that she is really cool. Too bad I pissed her off.

T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait a minute, that was a joke about kicking your butt? Sure fooled me.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
stop thinking and talking about her completely, skillery
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

sure, no problem
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
sailing+fencing=pirate!

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

quote:
Their most obnoxious behaviors:

Spinning fluff in the middle of a serious thread.
Taking a thread discussion to private chat or e-mail.

Spinning fluff in the middle of a serious thread can be annoying, at times, but I personally find it a minor irritation. Sometimes it serves to lighten a too serious mood. I don't really think it's the results of any "cliques" though, at least not that I have observed.

Taking a thread discussion to private chat or email is usually done either to avoid generally offending everyone (or a particular person), or because the person doesn't want to discuss it in a public forum. I am sorry it makes you feel left out. A lot of us started chatting or emailing only because we had something further to say that we didn't really want to post in public. It's not generally done to be exclusionary. Sorry if it feels that way to you.

[ June 09, 2004, 04:59 PM: Message edited by: Ela ]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

skillery I just read your thread on sakeriver, which ticked me off as well. You are a male version of what I most loathe about my mother.

I'm sure you couldn't imagine healthy relationships as described in this thread.
http://www.hatrack.com/ubb/forum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=024943

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

Hi Ela:

I didn't say those behaviors made me feel any particular way. My point was that their behavior doesn't get any worse than that, which is to say, benign.

saxon75
Member # 4589

I don't know that we really need to go back to that particular conversation, AJ. By the way, since you went to sakeriver already, why not register? [Razz]
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

Hey BannaOJ:

I posted a couple times to your "every waking moment together thread." I think I came down in favor of having some time to yourself.

Aren't you the lady who gets really creepy letters from her mom? Am I really that bad?

Too bad. Can't kill me. [Taunt]

Damien
Member # 5611

- posted      Profile for Damien   Email Damien         Edit/Delete Post 
I was hoping for a nice, organized listing of actual Hatrack cliques... I'd kind of like to see exactly where I stand...
Posts: 677 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

quote:
Hi Ela:

I didn't say those behaviors made me feel any particular way. My point was that their behavior doesn't get any worse than that, which is to say, benign.

Okay. Your point is taken. [Smile]
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
What Ela said: I don't think these the behaviors of cliques. Whether or not there are cliques, what you're pointing at ain't them.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Skill short answer:

It has to do with fear of friendship with the opposite gender due to the fact that you are married. Why are you cutting yourself off from friendship with 50% of the population because a few of them are unpredictable?

My mother does not have a single male person she considers to be her friend other than my father. Even if they have been friends with a couple for over 20 years, she is friends with the wife and my father is friends with the husband, regardless of who has what interests.

I have a half dozen guy friends, who I've been friends with for years. Many of them have gotten married. I was invited to several weddings even though I had never met the bride. While I don't talk to them as frequently mostly because of distance, it would be awful for me to stop being friends with them simply because they were married.

The same goes for the other way around. Steve has several female friends that I was never friends with. Does this bother me? not in the least. But having friends of the other gender to me goes part and parcel with having independent hobbies that take you away from each other.

I think limiting yourself to merely half of the world's possible population for friendship is a horribly unhealthy way to live. But maybe avoidance is the way you cope with everything in your life. If you avoid something, you can never actually have a problem because you are never going to be in pain. But you miss out on so much joy too.
AJ

skillery
Member # 6209

Thanks AJ

I'm just wierd. I went too far in overstating my position in that thread. I do have female friends. An extra measure of care is required in those friendships, and there are personal rules that I apply to keep the friendship within the bounds of propriety. That's all.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been thinking about something lately, they say you are a "real hatracker" if you have met another one in real life. So am I real? I know quite a few, but knew them before I became a hatrakcer.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

That counts. You're real if and only if at least two other Hatrackers, having met you in person, can vouch for your existance.
skrika03
Member # 5930

- posted      Profile for skrika03   Email skrika03         Edit/Delete Post 
I brought up the cliques, and for clarification I should mention that I'm pooka in my "I don't want to post my 4th Landmark while suffering PMS" digs.

I've just been cut down by a lot of folks here lately. A few it was a surprise, several not. But this is probably also due to PMS. I figure PMS was important in prehistoric times so that women who are about to be, well, unclean, feel like getting away from the group for a while.

Space Opera, apart from "Bug City" we are really close.

Skill, I also try to be supportive of you because I felt partly responsible for the first time you fled from Hatrack (the homeschool thread, remember? Ah, memories).

Posts: 383 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Saxon,
I have sent things to two Hatrackers, and have promised to send things to three more. Does that make me real? Oh, and I still owe Olivia a critique from about a year ago.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.