FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Are there any good song remakes? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Are there any good song remakes?
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Tying this into the "What one band do you obsess over" thread, Rush has an entire album of cover material coming out this summer.
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
The version of "Let's Get It On" done by Jack Black is surprising if nothing else. I enjoy it quite a bit.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Rush has an entire album of cover material coming out this summer.
This is the band equivalent of Jumping the Shark.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

I'm sure many people thought they jumped it long ago...

Personally, at their ages and given the recent tragedies Neil has experienced, not to mention the couple of hundred great songs they have written in the past, I'm willing to give them a little time for self-indulgence. This might, however, be the first album of theirs I don't buy.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Memorable Remake:

Sid Vicious doing "My Way"

[Big Grin]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
"Lean on Me" -- Club Nouveau.
"Crimson and Clover" -- whoever it was that remade it.
"Venus" -- Bananarama.

I also like Amy Grant's remake of "Big Yellow Taxi," but she actually made two of them, and I know which I like when I hear it.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Moose, would that be Joan Jett's remake of "Crimson and Clover"?
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever you might think of the guy, Manson took Sweet Dreams and transformed it into a completely different listening experience.

And to echo what someone else said, Cash's Hurt is on of the best covers of all time.

edit: Was that written in English? I certainly couldn't tell.

[ June 11, 2004, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: Bob the Lawyer ]

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, that means the Pixies jumped the shark before their reunion tour and Lennon did after his death.
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
After passing the afternoon discussing song lyrics with my little brother, I remembered another one:
The Harvey Danger song "Underground" is a cover, although I don't think I've ever heard the original and I don't think I know who it's by anyway. But the HD version is wonderfully creepy.

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
Im just gonna mention American Idol because its obviouslly so full of remakes. Most of the top 3s in each season remade many MANY of the songs better than the original, most notably Clay Aiken.
Remember Jennifer Hudson's Circle of Life? Elton admitted that it was better than the original.
I agree, AAF's smooth criminal was great.

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sweet William
Member # 5212

- posted      Profile for Sweet William           Edit/Delete Post 
I liked Cake's version of "Sad Songs and Waltzes" (Willie Nelson originally did it, I think).

I like Willie's "Georgia on my mind," but I like Ray Charles' version very much, as well.

I think I'm really going to miss Ray Charles. Most recently, I really enjoyed Ray's live performance of "Behind Closed Doors." (it was on some "greatest country songs of all time" show).

Posts: 524 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I was trying to think of something by Ray Connick, Jr., but I don't really know his stuff very well. Then it hit me.

Luis Miguel! Does anybody here listen to him? He has the most incredible voice, absolutely amazing. In recent years, he has recorded several albums full of remakes of old Mexican love songs. Many of these were originally (?) recorded by trios of vocalists/instrumentalists, and were really quite lovely. But when they are done in the voice of Luis Miguel, watch out. The only way it could fail to make a woman swoon, or a romantic man go all wistful, is if you don't understand the language, and even then just the melody and the voice could do it.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sweet William
Member # 5212

- posted      Profile for Sweet William           Edit/Delete Post 
So there are actually good MEXICAN songs? I find that almost impossible to believe.

Now, South American music, sure. But most of the crap they play at La Frontera or La Puente just pretty much makes my ears bleed.

And those Linda Ronstadt albums should be eradicated from the face of the earth.

So, (please) name a good Luis Miguel album that is as good as Jose Luis Perales (although I think he is officially Spanish and not South American) and I'll give it a try. [Smile]

Posts: 524 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite Luis Miguel album is Aries, which was nominated for a Grammy when it was release in 93 or 94. But it doesn't have any remakes that I know of. For his great remakes, try Mis Romances, or Mis Boleros Favoritos.

I know what you mean about Mexican music. But what you recognize as Mexican music is only one small, though popular, segment of Mexican music. I have heard it referred to broadly as Tex-Mex, although there are a few other related types of music that are similar enough for me to lump them together, such as Ranchero. Tex-Mex is the stuff with the relentless tuba in the background. I think of it as Mexico's version of country music.

Mexico has produced some really great pop and rock artists. Luis Miguel is my favorite singer, but my favorite Mexican rock band is Mana. There are many others. (Ricardo Montaner, Juan Luis Guerra, etc.)

[ June 11, 2004, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: UofUlawguy ]

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Metallica's cover of "Turn the Page" is much better than Bob Seger's version. And U2's cover of "Helter Skelter" on "Rattle and Hum" is wonderful.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jalapenoman
Member # 6575

- posted      Profile for Jalapenoman   Email Jalapenoman         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I started the thread and have waited for over 60 postings to see if anyone would remember the worst cover of all times....and no one has!

Okay, does anyone remember the movie version of Sgt. Pepper? All of the songs for it were redone by the BeeGees. The main characters were played by the BeeGees (I guess that in addition to the worst album, worst cover, and worst sountrack of all times, this may also be the worst movie of all times), Sorry, but I don't remember all of that falseto coming from Paul, George, Ringo, and John.

Posts: 279 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Professor Funk
Member # 5608

- posted      Profile for Professor Funk   Email Professor Funk         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I don't think we really appreciate music interpretation like it used to be appreciated. All of the "American standards" were written in an era when everyone sang everyone's stuff and what sold was who did the best job. I'm not discounting the importance of good songwriting abilities and originality to make a good musician, but there's a lot to be said for the band that can do a great cover.

Jalapeno mentioned that Roberta Flack does a great "Killing Me Softly" cover, which I must agree with, but I have to admit that Lauryn Hill's version can send shivers up me spine.

David Bowie does a great trippy version of Cream's "I Feel Free."

I once made an entire CD of different covers of "Happy Together" by the Turtles which ranged from reggae to lounge (Mel Torme?) to bluegrass to Captain & Tenile to A New Found Glory. While I admit that none of these covers would be as brilliant without the strength and addictive popiness of the original, it's really fun to listen to them all and some come close to being really great.

On the soundtrack to 50 First Dates, the sick but somehow brilliantly funny Adam Sandler serves up a selection of 80's pop songs re-done as reggae and Hawaiian. The reggae "Every Breath You Take" is pretty darn great.

I must say (fangrrrrl that I am) that the way U2 does covers is brilliant. They don't ever release them as singles and profit off of recognizability (and it's not like they have to with their distinctive style), but they do a lot of them as B-sides and concert pieces, and quite often will transition into a cover in the middle of a jam on one of their songs (a la "Ruby Tuesday" in Rattle and Hum). They've done great covers of "Fortunate Son," "Annie's Song" ( [Big Grin] ), "Can't Help Fallin' in Love," "Break on Through," "Invisible Sun," "Get Up, Stand Up," "Stand By Me," "New York, New York," and the oh-so-fabulous "Satellite of Love." You appreciate a group even more for their inspirations and the music they're drawing on, and covers are a great way to convey this.

Posts: 99 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
ha. You remind me of Del McCoury's bluegrass version of Richard Thompson's "Vincent Black Lightning 1952."
It is awesome, but completely different.
(love that song-sends shivers every time)

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Metallica's cover of "Turn the Page" is much better than Bob Seger's version
Sorry but I have to take exception to this. I realize that is simply your opinion but I've long considered Bob's rendition to be a true Rock Classic.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
Hot Water Music did a stellar remake of Alkaline Trio's Bleeder on the HOT Jade Tree split of the two bands. They each covered one of other's songs. and well, Bleeder performed by HWM knocked me on my ass.
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Metallica's cover of "Turn the Page" is much better than Bob Seger's version
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry but I have to take exception to this. I realize that is simply your opinion but I've long considered Bob's rendition to be a true Rock Classic.

Well, so did I until I heard Metallica's version.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite remakes of all time:

1) Gloria by Patti Smith. Trust me, it grows on you.

2) Red, Red Wine by UB40. Neil Diamond now does the song with a touch of reggae...

3) Satisfaction by DEVO.

4) Superstition by BBA (Beck, Bogart & Appice).

5) She's Leaving Home by Bryan Ferry

6) Where Did Our Love Go? by Adam Ant live at Motown 25

7) No More I Love Yous by Annie Lennox

And the most amazing fete of recording covers ever done:
Todd Rundgren's Faithful in which he recorded original 60's tunes and worked at it until he got it to sound EXACTLY LIKE the originals. I mean exactly. You can't tell the difference. Which might explain why it didn't sell very well. But what an amazing fete.

Worst remake by someone who should've known better:

#1 and forever top of the list: I Shot the Sheriff by Eric Clapton.

Although,Mae West's Rock & Roll album is a close second.

Amazing.

I heard someone try to do a Peter Gabriel tune once. It was horrible.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Was it In Your Eyes?
I don't know who does that cover, but I wish they WOULDN'T!

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Actually, my old band had a really nice version of "In Your Eyes" worked up, but we never got to play it for anyone.

Also, I do like Eddie Murphy's take on "I'm a Believer" from Shrek (*not* the Smashmouth version, though I do think that they backed him on his).

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"I don't know who does that cover, but I wish they WOULDN'T!"

ha ha ha.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's another one:

Flowers on the Wall--the Eric Heatherly version.

Ditto to Moose's praise of Club Nouveau's "Lean on Me." I have that on my "happy music" CD, along with the Nylons' version of "Kiss Him Goodbye."

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
It was indeed In Your Eyes and it sounded so bad. It was just awful.

So...is no-one familiar with the ones I listed as "good?"

I can't believe no-one commented on those yet. C'mon! "Gloria" is just classic.

G...
L...
O...
R...
I I I I I I AAAAAAAA

G
L
O
RIA

Gloria
G
L
O
RIA

Gloria!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taberah
Member # 4014

- posted      Profile for Taberah           Edit/Delete Post 
. . . in Excelsis Deo.

Okay, I know that one. A classic.

Posts: 224 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

[ROFL]
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
When I read the first post, the song that came to mind initially was Jimi's version of All Along the Watchtower, so right on, all of you who said it.

Speaking of Jimi, Little Wing has to be one of the most covered songs of all time. I personally have about seven different versions. Many are quite good, but the best by far is the Stevie Ray Vaughan instrumental version. Seven minutes of the most soulful guitar playing ever experienced.

And while we're on the subject of great guitar playing, don't forget the Santana version of Tito Puente's Oye Como Va. It's now the definitive version, and a classic rock classic.

Talking Heads only ever did one cover, as far as I know. It was Al Green's Take Me To the River, and it was very good.

And of all the people that ever did covers of Talking Heads songs, the best one I've ever heard by a long shot is Shawn Colvin's version of This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody). It's one of the best songs Talking Heads ever did, and I never would have thought anyone could do it justice. But Shawn completely changed the vibe of the song and made another that was just as good in an entirely different way. The very definition of a good cover.

Phish has always done great covers. My favorite is Gin and Juice. I just about wet my pants the first time I heard that one.

Bebel Gilberto does a very good version of So Nice (Summer Samba).

Don't forget Walter Murphy's classic disco cover of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony, A Fifth of Beethoven. No, it's obviously not as good as the original. But it's much funkier.

Some of the best jazz tunes ever recorded have been covers of Gershwin songs. And I can't help but think that George himself would have approved of many of them. Ever heard Miles Davis' album of arrangements of the songs from Porgy and Bess? Classic.

I always liked what Camper Van Beethoven did with O Death. Can arrangements of folk songs be considered covers?

Earth Wind and Fire did a classic version of Got To Get You Into My Life by the Beatles.

I love Chris Isaak, and my favorite of his albums, Baja Sessions, is at least half covers. Only the Lonely, South of the Border, Return to Me... all well worth adding to the list.

Who can dispute how great James Taylor's version of You've Got a Friend is? Even Carole approved.

The song that originally turned me on to Cowboy Junkies was their version of Sweet Jane. I may get some crap for this, but it's still the version that I prefer.

Bobby McFerrin and his multi-track recorder did an absolutely stunning version of Sunshine of Your Love on his Simple Pleasures album. What that guy can't do with his voice shouldn't be done.

It is evidence of Tom Waits' songwriting powers that even a smeghead like Rod Stewart can't screw up his song. I remember hearing his version of Downtown Train many long years ago, and being surprised at liking a Rod Stewart song. Then I got Rain Dogs and heard the original, and thought, "...oh, that explains it."

Creedence's version of I Heard It Through the Grapevine can give Marvin Gaye's original a run for it's money any day. 11 minutes never goes by so quickly as when I'm grooving to that track.

One of the best tracks Red Hot Chili Peppers ever recorded was a version of Stevie Wonder's Higher Ground.

The CSNY version of Joni Mitchell's Woodstock is definitive, and for good reason.

Some people do great covers of their own material. Eric Clapton's unplugged version of Layla and Sting's version of Shadows In the Rain from "Dream of the Blue Turtles" come to mind.

Speaking of Clapton, one of his best tracks ever was the version he did of I Shot the Sherrif.

Emerson, Lake and Palmer's cover of Pictures At an Exhibition by Mussorgsky is a landmark in the history of prog-rock.

Anyone ever heard the Gypsy Kings version of Hotel California. If you've seen The Big Lebowski, you'll know what I'm talking about, and I'll need say no more.

One of the most powerful movie music moments I ever experienced was at the end of Finding Forrester. I don't know the name of the Polynesian dude that did the medley of Over the Rainbow/ What a Wonderful World, but he nailed it.

Speaking of movies, the version of Tequila from Strictly Ballroom is fantastic.

Stanley Clarke does a great version of Mothership Connection.

Here's an addition just for me, since none of the rest of you will ever have heard of it. There's a band from Colorado called The Atoll. One of my all time favorite bands. They did a version of The Jungle King from The Jungle Book that was unbelievable. I can't find a copy of that track (other than on my hard drive, and I'm not going to publicly post copy protected material, no matter how much I wish you all could hear it.) But if you want a taste of why I like the band, ***this*** is from their website, so it's kosher. Listen to it and tell me it's not great. Keep in mind, it's a 3-piece band, playing live (so if Elizabeth at least doesn't listen, I'll be very disappointed [Wink] ). I love how the guitar and the drums play off each other on this track. Now with that tangent taken care of...

I dig The Black Crowes, and the song that made me a fan was their version of Otis Redding's Hard to Handle.

Don't forget that They Might Be Giants' classic Istanbul (not Constantinople) was a cover.

Still think that covers are rarely as good as the original? Just as a sidenote, I disagree with one statement in the original post. The Beatles version of Twist and Shout was nowhere near as good as the Isley Brothers' original.

[ June 19, 2004, 09:46 AM: Message edited by: Speed ]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

ELP did other awesome renditions of symphonic pieces too:

Hoedown, Fanfare for the Common Man, and Mars Bringer of War come immediately to mind.

Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget Nutcracker and Bolero. But a whole album of it was pretty bold. And pulled off surprisingly well.
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread has had me thinking of a few remakes that are more fun than anything, not a remake that redefines the song, that has been expressed as the preferred way to remake a song.

But here is a list anyway:

Ring Of Fire by Social Distortion
Hey Ya! by The Supersuckers
The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite by Dashboard Confessional
Bizarre Love Triangle by Frente!
The Boys Of Summer by The Ataris
Our Lips Are Sealed by Bikeride
She Bangs by William Hung
Smooth Criminal by Alien Ant Farm

I love song remakes, sort of like Bean's version of EG as ES, there is a new spin on a familiar tale. I even blow the dust off an old album to hear the original once in a while.

BTW, I got most of these remakes from iTunes, if you are searching.

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"Phish has always done great covers. My favorite is Gin and Juice."

Speed, you must check out The Gourds' cover of "Gin and Juice!" It is awesome.

By the way, Bob Scopatz, that is a good Texas band for you! I saw them last year at the Rythm and Roots festival in Rhode Island.

Speed, I will go listen now. Thanks for thinking of me.

Edit: Dang it, Speed, I cannot get it to work. I will keep trying. is the song called "The Jungle King" or maybe "Monkey?"

Aha! Fixed it. Steve was doing a BitTorrent, and I guess you can't listen and download more than one thing. I like it!

[ June 26, 2004, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

For the record, I think if a traditional song is "covered," it is considered an "arrangement." Not 100 percent on that, but there you have it.

Also, I forgot if i mentioned this cover on this thread, and am too lazy to check, but I LOVE Del McCoury's bluegrass cover of Richard Thompson's "Vincent Black Lightning 1952"

(Good motorcyle song, Bob)

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if it would be considered a cover or if it has already been mentioned, but Jimi Hendrix's "Star Spangled Banner" is absolutely one of the most breathtaking things I have ever heard. My dad has always talked about the time he saw him live, and I was was a little curious so I found a place to download the the star spangled banner from woodstock, and i just can't stop listening
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Speed,
I am listening to a song that is "pretty only gets you so far..." I don't think it is the one you linked to, so I am not sure what I did, but I love it. I was listening, and thinking, now who does this remind me of? And then I got it: David Lindley!!(whom I love, in particular "El Rayo X.")

Edit: I LOVE these guys! Thanks, Speed!

[ June 26, 2004, 07:55 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know who did the orginal version of The Boys of Summer? I've heard two or three version of it, and I can't figure out which was the original. The Ataris version of it is by far my favorite. Maybe thats just cause I like The Ataris a lot though [Smile]
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Don Henley!
(I think. I am old, and so is the song, but I guess it could be older)

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

quote:
Speaking of Clapton, one of his best tracks ever was the version he did of I Shot the Sherrif.
Gah!!! [Eek!]

By the way, we've all forgotten the most amzing cover version of all time. Ike & Tina Turner's version of Proud Mary.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
not true, I mentioned Proud Mary, I think on the first page.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Guns N' Roses' version of live and let die was pretty sweet.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh and Van Halen's version of "You Really Got me", originally performed by The Kinks.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
weezer
Member # 6643

- posted      Profile for weezer   Email weezer         Edit/Delete Post 
[QUOTEThe best songs should NOT be used in commercials. It ruins them.
] [/QUOTE]

I agree! One or two years ago McDonalds used the Better Than Ezra song "Misunderstood" in a commercial, and so now whenever I listen to that song I think of that. I HATE it!

Posts: 104 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jalapenoman
Member # 6575

- posted      Profile for Jalapenoman   Email Jalapenoman         Edit/Delete Post 
Worst use of a song was not in a commercial, it was in a movie (and it was sung by the original artists).

I cannot hear Bohemian Rhapsody without seeing Wayne and Garth in their Pacer banging their heads. It is a disgusting sight that ruined a really great song.

As far as Proud Mary goes, I still prefer CCR and think that Ike and Tina destroyed the song.

Posts: 279 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Breyer...so sorry! Great call!

Jalapenoman. You are wrong. You are just plain wrong. And I happen to be a HUGE CCR fan, but their version of Proud Mary is not as good. Nope.

Oh, and by the way, I second the nomination of Clapton's unplugged version of Layla as a wonderful remake by the same artist. So amazing that he can still bring something new to that song after all these years.

I haven't heard the Van Halen version of You Really Got Me but I'm certain I would hate it.

As for Bohemian Rhapsody being used in the Wayne's World movie, it was brilliant. It's exactly what that pretentious load of crap (the song) inspired in bone-headed kids all over the world. It sounds like it's deep and meaningful, and basically it is tripe. Now, don't get me wrong, Queen had some great songs, and Freddy Mercury had a great voice. But their lyrics? Dopey and pretentious. And Bohemian Rhapsody was the worst of all.

I laughed so hard when that came on in the movie. It was a perfect moment.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Bob, as a woman struggling with losing wieght, I really disagree with your assessment of Queen as having shallow lyrics. I think the song "Fat-bottomed Girls" is absolutely brilliant, and explores a topic many would shun.

"Are you gonna take me home tonight
Ah down beside that red firelight
Are you gonna let it all hang out
Fat bottomed girls
You make the rockin' world go round"
http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/Fat-Bottomed-Girls-lyrics-Queen/01FECDA021BB25A84825689400039B68

See what I mean? Brilliant!

Jalapenoman
Member # 6575

Nope, Bob, still gotta go with CCR.

"First I'm gonna do it soft, then I'm gonna do it hard" (Tina says something like that) would have worked for me at a live concert, but I hate that whole thing in the song. She screams part of the song, instead of singing it. CCR's version combines good music with good singing, which only exists in the softer part of Tina's version.

The thing that I hate most in singing is when an artist screams their lyrics instead of singing them, and she screams these as bad as any American Idol contestant.

punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
I just heard a remake of Simple Man by a group called Shine Down. I'm quite impressed. The original by Lynyrd Skynryd is one of my all time favorites and I usually don't like remakes of beloved songs. If you haven't heard it yet I recommend looking for it.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.