FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Accidentally pissing people off

Author Topic: Accidentally pissing people off
Professor Funk
Member # 5608

- posted      Profile for Professor Funk   Email Professor Funk         Edit/Delete Post 
I've apparently had some sort of bad dietary or lifestyle change with my recent move that's affecting my social skills. Several times in the last few days, online and IRL, I've accidentally pissed people off. Sometimes I gave offense where none was intended, sometimes I did something wrong or inadequately and caused someone to lose their temper.

Aside from wanting to know what's wrong with me, how do you best correct a situation of accidental pissing-off? It seems to me that one's first reflex is to be defensive and plead innocent, trying to explain what you meant or intended, but that doesn't usually seem to help the situation if done too quickly.

What's the best way to handle the situation? Is an apology enough or is some sort of reparation in order to restore the general good will?

Posts: 99 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
You can just send me money.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jalapenoman
Member # 6575

- posted      Profile for Jalapenoman   Email Jalapenoman         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd settle for a five pound box of $20's if you are sending out money/

Actually, don't worry about accidently doing this to people. Make sure you are doing this to people! Life can be fun when the prissy turn "p i s s y."

Posts: 279 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueJacsFan
Member # 6590

- posted      Profile for BlueJacsFan   Email BlueJacsFan         Edit/Delete Post 
If the pissed-off person isn't so pissed off that they won't talk to you, the sooner you apologize and try to explain that your comment/action didn't come across as you intended, the better. If they're not talking to you, or listening to you, you're best to give them some space until they cool down.
Posts: 159 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what to tell you Prof. I say let the urine fly! But try not to get any on yourself.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Professor Funk
Member # 5608

- posted      Profile for Professor Funk   Email Professor Funk         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it important to let them know that the offense wasn't intended, or is a straight apology better?
Posts: 99 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
It depends on whether you offended me, or you offended my wife. If you offended my wife, she really, really wants to hear the words "I'm sorry."

Me, on the other hand, find apologies trite. ("What, is that supposed to make it better?") What I want to know is that you didn't mean it the way I took it, so we can be cool again.

If you try to tell my wife that, though, it will just upset her--she'll assume you're saying she was stupid to get upset, and that will "invalidate her feelings" and that will just make things worse.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

If you pissed off a guy, offer to buy him a beer or a Sprite. You'll be cool after that.

If you pissed off a girl, buy a guy a beer or a Sprite. At least YOU'LL feel better.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I have this problem more often that I'd like to admit (foot in mouth disease, especially)

I just have to make myself shut up.

For a week or so I just won't say whatever pops into my head (or write it) when I know that I seem to be making everyone mad. I just keep my mouth shut and my posts nill.

Then whatever it was passes and I'm back to normal.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
* cough* I sent Icarus something but I never heard any response from him. So much for the tribute money...
Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

quote:
For a week or so I just won't say whatever pops into my head (or write it) when I know that I seem to be making everyone mad. I just keep my mouth shut and my posts nill.
Oh crimony. I've been going about it all wrong! Are there any guy threads where I can go hide?

Thanks for the timely pointer FG!

Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
Usually I take a good look at what I said, and ask myself if the other person is justified in getting offended or not. If they are then I look at my words and decide what exactly was uncalled for, and apologize for that. If they are not justified, I either ignore them entirely, or tell them I do not care.

However, I find the best way to deal with this is an ounce of prevention. There are lots of times (especially, although not only, online) that I just do not say or type what I had originally planned to. Does not catch everything, but I am sure it has prevented more than a few arguments.

Edit: added myself after ask.

[ June 11, 2004, 10:26 PM: Message edited by: Danzig ]

Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I received what you sent, but unfortunately you sent it during my final exams, and then I was out of town for a week. I haven't forgotten, I simply haven't gotten much of a chance. So I'll have to stay on your shit list a bit longer. [Frown]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alai's Echo
Member # 3219

- posted      Profile for Alai's Echo           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What's the best way to handle the situation?
Get banned from Hatrack over a total misunderstanding, then not bother to correct it because it's not like anyone would listen anyway.

But that's just my opinion.

Posts: 72 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
Good to know you have it, at least. Catch up with me when you have the time, no prob. [Razz]
Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.