FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Question for women: (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Question for women:
Rudolph
Member # 3236

- posted      Profile for Rudolph           Edit/Delete Post 
Lately I have gotten into the habit of only shaving every two or three days and naturally accumulate a good amount of 'stubble' in the time between shaving. So my question is: To women, is stubble sexy, disgusting, or what?
Posts: 217 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Scratchy.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to break this to ya, but it depends. Some people look good with stubble and some don't.

Generally, though, a little stubble is not going to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
You expect us to comment on this without a picture? It depends on the chin it's on, of course!
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
That depends. Is it even? I mean, does it come in evenly? Because uneven stubble is not sexy, but if it is even it can be.

O and LJ are right - it depends on the chin its on.

[ June 30, 2004, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
How have your sideburns been doing?
Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't you watch Queer Eye? Leave the stubble but shape it by shaving to the jawline and cleaning up the cheeks.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Real stubble is sexy(as in, haven't shaved in a few days)

Contrived stubble is just WRONG. Men who are going for the stubble look just seem silly, to me. (I hope that makes sense)

In other words, if I see a man regularly who has stubble, and I realize that he is not growing a beard, lazy about shaving, or on vacation, then I am like, "Oh, whatEVer, just shave it!"

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmkaProblemka
Member # 6495

- posted      Profile for AmkaProblemka   Email AmkaProblemka         Edit/Delete Post 
Lemme get this straight: being lazy about shaving is cooler than keeping up a look that includes stubble?

My hubby would be happy about that...

Posts: 438 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife hates stubble, but will tolerate it for one day if I don't have to go to work, church or on a date with her.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
*just shaved*
[Razz]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
*chose to skip shaving this morning* [Wink]
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
definitely scratchy. I used to get a little rash on my face from rubbing against stubble. There's this time delay when coarse stubble turns soft... the soft stuff can be nice, but then they go and shave it and it turns sharp.
Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Woman I'm most concerned about thinks that my stubble is sexy if I don't shave for about 3 days. After that, she hands me the razor and says "No kisses until you use this!"
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

mmm not me. I found a razor that makes your face smooth as a baby's bum.

It's those Norelco electric shavers with the lotion dispenser. They're a pain to keep clean sometimes, but they work great. [Smile]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
(Hey Paul, *points to boston clump thread*)
Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm - one of my favorite little girl memories has to do with rubbing my face against grandpa's to get "whiskers" -

another one was snapping his suspenders once I had a red, scratchy face and then running away giggling.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
It has been mentioned that stubble can have a nice softness to it, but trimming it (for the "stubble look") actually sharpens the little hairs so that defeats the purpose. It also depends on the texture of your beard, and possibly the color.

Okay, it's gone now. I couldn't figure out why the google ad would be for "Mormon beliefs biblical?" I know beards are against the BYU honor code, but that doesn't even try to be biblical.

[ June 30, 2004, 05:57 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
Whats the logic there? That honorable people shave?
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

I don't get that either...
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
My google ads are gone!

Wierd. [Confused]

Edit: Sure enough, right back after I posted.

[ June 30, 2004, 06:16 PM: Message edited by: Erik Slaine ]

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
The common wisdom about the BYU honor code and facial hair is that said hair is a sign of rebellion. A rebellious spirit is not encouraged at BYU. I believe the policy dates back to roughly the hippy era, but it could be slightly earlier.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
As far as the "contrived" stubble goes--do you know how much easier it is to just run a pair of clippers over your face than it is to shave? And have you priced Mach III blades lately? Highway robbery!

Last girl I dated loved the long beard, bless her heart. It got to be about 2" before I got irritated and cut it off to stubble length.

But I'll be back to my Jesus-lookalike self in a week or so.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The common wisdom about the BYU honor code and facial hair is that said hair is a sign of rebellion.
I hope they're not photoshopping clean-shaven portraits of Brigham Young and Jesus. [Razz]
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Suneun-
No can do that weekend.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

No, Jesus and Brother Brigham are all right. They predate hippies, as did every LDS President up up to and including George Albert Smith (who all, except for Joseph Smith, had beards). Then, mid-twentieth century, the fashion changed to clean-shaven (Utah trends were always a little behind the times), and so all Presidents after that were clean-shaven. Then the hippies and their ilk rebelled against the older generation and, as a part of that, started growing all their hair long, including facial hair when possible and gender-appropriate. BYU's honor code prohibition on facial hair is a result of that spirit of rebellion, or so the story goes.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't remember the last time I shaved.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

I can't either, but that's just because I do it so early in the morning that I'm not yet fully conscious.
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
*shaves on Sunday for church.*

I sent a picture of me with 5 days growth to Raplhie for addition to Foobonic back on May 31, but it still hasn't been added. Oh well. . .you all have to miss it. (and I sent it to both raplhie@foobonic and dandadodge@comcast.net)

Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snarky
Member # 4406

- posted      Profile for Snarky   Email Snarky         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh? Isn't this it?
Posts: 586 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
As some have said, depends on the guy. Some look much better with stubble than cleanshaven, and some just look dirty. So, I can't tell in any particular case until I've seen the individual in question.

And as for BYU and beards (or lack thereof) - I really think the people who make some of those rules (beards, only one piercing in each ear, etc.), really need to go find something productive to do. By the time an individual is in college, they are certainly old enough to make their own grooming decisions; if they aren't capable of that, I doubt they are mature enough to be in college. I'm sorry if this opinion offends anyone, but making rules just to see who is obedient enough to follow them unquestioningly is just plain stupid and more than a little juvenile, IMO.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. I was looking here instead I guess I just missed where it actually got put.
Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie
Member # 4043

- posted      Profile for Pixie   Email Pixie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with the ladies who said it depends.

Maybe the reason that sexy "I just plain didn't shave recently, but I normally do"-look works so well is because it suggests that a man is both generally well-kempt (spelling?) and that he also knows how to just relax and let things be for awhile.

In general, though, stubble can be incredibly attractive on some men and, on others, it's incredibly un-attractive. This depends on a lot of things including the chin the hair is on, color, whether or not the person is generally attractive sans-stubble, etc.

Also very important is how it feels. If your stubble is scratchy, it's "I'm sorry, hun, but either it goes, or the kisses do". If your stubble is soft, though, chances are you get to keep it.

...And now this evil thread has me thinking about kisses and Paul with stubble. I can't have either at the moment, though, because the dear fiance doesn't get here until Friday. Grrr...

... [Wink] I'm getting wayyyy too hyper about this visit. [Smile]

...Annnd I get to see him again in just three more weeks [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Smile] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] .

...Okay, shutting up now. [Smile]

Posts: 1548 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
The only university rule we have was the unofficial "Beard of Shame" rule. You can't shave from the last day of classes until you're done finals. Which is usually a week to a month. Mind you, I generally only shave once every month or two. And I've got thin, patchy, useless facial hair. It doesn't look like stubble, it looks like I haven't washed. Even after 2 months.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
Real men* get the best of both worlds: daily shaves and evening stubble (when desired) anyway.

*feel free to substitute "hairy jews"

[ June 30, 2004, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: Richard Berg ]

Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. These days I usually shave every other day. Or every third day... [Wink] It's partly because I'm lazy, but also because shaving irritates my skin easily. Which is a pain in the neck.

On a slightly different note, I'm thinking of going back to either my goatee or my full beard. Probably after summer is over, though. Whaddya think? (For reference, this is me last fall.)

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know, Richard, you have me picturing Bluto.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Clean-shaven? Fine. Bearded? Mmmm. Stubble-y? Bleh!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
If it's Johnny Depp, yes. Any other guy especially a lunky one, no, go shave immediately.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
How stubble looks depends on the guy. I'm not averse to stubble (in the looks department) usually, but scratchy stubble (when I have to feel it) is evil.

Mike - I vote goatee.

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, you're one of the few people who can pull off facial hair without either looking like a creepy Frenchman (a la movie villains) or a creepy Old Man. Either way looks good [Smile]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
weezer
Member # 6643

- posted      Profile for weezer   Email weezer         Edit/Delete Post 
My ex-ceramics teacher (I so totally left his class, but it's a long story) would go without shaving for a few days, and he had a double-chin, so he just looked like a hobo minus a ratty poncho and a cardboard sign.

However, I think stubble is dope if the guy has a defined jaw line, the coloring is good, he's allready frickin' hot, etc.

Hurray for hot single guys who are between my age and 21 years old!

[ June 30, 2004, 10:40 PM: Message edited by: weezer ]

Posts: 104 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snarky
Member # 4406

Twenty-one?! You're not dating any twenty-one-year-olds. At least not as long as I have anything to say about it.

Love,

Your brother.

Posts: 586 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
weezer
Member # 6643

My brother?
Posts: 104 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snarky
Member # 4406

Yes. I'm Jon Boy, and this is one of my forty or so screen names.
weezer
Member # 6643

Which one? The Mensan? [Wink]
weezer
Member # 6643

Oops . . . you posted before me.
weezer
Member # 6643

Anyway, five years older is my limit.
Snarky
Member # 4406

Five years older than you would be a returned missionary. Five years older than you would make much closer to my age than yours. At least then I wouldn't feel bad about beating him up for dating a high school student.
weezer
Member # 6643

So I'll drop-out. [Razz]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.