FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The tallest people in the world (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The tallest people in the world
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, of course I had to weight in on this eventually... In terms of genetics, I had no chance of being anything but taller than average.

Father's side. Grandfather - 6' 2" Grandmother - 5' 9" Father - 6' 4" Father's brothers: 6' 0" and 6' 3" (female cousins 5' 10" and 6' 2")

Mother's side. Grandfather - 6' 0" Grandmother 5' 11" Mother - 5' 8" Mother's sisters 6' 0" and 6' 0" (cousins ranging from 5' 10" to 6' 6")

Which, of course means my 6' 6" was far from shocking (although according to that double your height at three years, I was supposed to be 6' 8"). I don't feel cheated, mostly because I hit my head on enough things as it is. Oh, and for the record no Dutch ancestors (at least not recent enough to mention).

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
And he's gonna fight me to the death!
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Bye, Lalo. We'll send flowers.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
YOU might.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I wanna know about hand/foot size versus height. Mine don't match up. I'm 5'6", which is pretty good for a woman, right? But my hands are freakishly small; my wedding ring is a size 3 and 3/4. Pretty sure my feet are normal, so that's good. I also have a "tiny shrunken head" as my sister calls it. I can't wear adult-sized hats or glasses.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I got lucky, height-wise. My father's 6' and my mother's 5' and the lottery gave me a serviceable 5'9" or so. Prolly just a tiny bit less than that, but it sounds impressive so I like to say it. My brother is not quite so lucky so far. He's 15 and about... 5'6".

As for the Japanese, the reason that a lot of the older people in Japan are short is because they lived during the war, and their formative periods were taken when it was hard to find anything but wood fiber to eat, to say nothing of rice.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
ryuko,

are you really 5'9"?

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

Ummm Yes? Is that bad?

:/

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

No, it's great! I'm 5'9" too. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

*pulls Ryuko and Rivka aside*

you gals ever done any modeling? catwalk? local mall seasonal fashion shows?

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Nope.
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I swore I was 5'10" for years, but now I've realized that somewhere I lost an inch, so I'll join the 5'9" party [Smile]

And I was lucky enough to get proportional hands and feet, but unlucky to get them fully-grown at age 13. I've worn a size 10 shoe since 6th grade. And my hands and head are so blasted big I can never wear normal women's gloves and hats. I even have a hard time finding sunglasses.

But you know what they say about girls with big hands....

They grab all the piƱata candy! Mwa ha ha ha!

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

good! good, good, good.

*claps hands together*

*whispers*

cuz, you see. I'm looking for some raw talent. And, well... trust me. I know it when I see it.

*looks around*

how do you feel about silk?

Ryuko
Member # 5125

[Razz] Height does not a model make.

However, it may make an amazon... [Big Grin]

Annie
Member # 295

But it does make a cool chick, R-dog. [Big Grin]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

*snaps fingers in front of Ryuko's face*

nevermind the modeling. can you act? and, are you afraid of haunted houses?

rivka
Member # 4859

Silk, fallow? [Dont Know] Dunno, a silk scarf might make an excellent garrote.

*eyes fallow's neck*

fallow
Member # 6268

annie,

may I call you annie?

*purses lips*

what DO you do with that frame?

fallow

Annie
Member # 295

Hang pictures in it, mostly.
fallow
Member # 6268

*checks nametag*

rivka!

good thinking. can't have a haunted tavern without a few GHASTLY *gasps* garrotings!

how do you feel about gardening? on bended-knee, hands dirty, rooting about the carrots, squash and *wink* witch-wanton herbs?

fallow

fallow
Member # 6268

Annie,

Lovely spot to hang one!

Ever longed to live in a tower?

fallow

Annie
Member # 295

Yes, but last time I tried that my cousin the Queen had me beheaded.
fallow
Member # 6268

willing to try again, though. excellent. good choice. ever performed any of your own stunts?

*turns to rivka and ryuko*

ladies?

Ryuko
Member # 5125

I can do my own stunts, I guess. O.o
rivka
Member # 4859

Um, she can do mine too. Cuz I sure ain't!
Annie
Member # 295

Stunt was, by far, the best Barenaked Ladies album.
fallow
Member # 6268

*passes out - business cards*

so, listen. A friend and myself found this abandoned house *points yonder*. We've been converting it into a theatre of sorts... doing a little writing, a little acting, improv, that sorta thing...

it's a little out of the way, for the typical audience, but I think it can be spruced up.

*shrugs*

any interest?

Annie
Member # 295

17.9% apr.

Compounded whenever I have Chinese food.

fallow
Member # 6268

*shushes annie*

I didn't want to say this outloud, but the performances are strictly MSG-free, low-carb, and, well... generally speaking... low impact.

*points at knee brace*
[Big Grin]

plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, getting back to the science aspect of this thread... there's a study suggesting that early puberty is influenced by TV:

http://www.truestarhealth.com/members/archives.asp?content=03ml4p1a63

quote:
A recent Italian study has found that watching too much television may distort the hormonal balance of adolescents and push many of them into early puberty.

The study found children denied access to television for just one week experienced a 30% jump in their melatonin levels. The hormone is thought to prevent the early onset of puberty. If confirmed, this would be the first sign of a direct physiological impact of television upon the young.

Radiation may be to blame
Research focused on 75 junior-school children in an Italian village, whose parents agreed to deny them access to television, computers and video games for a week. Ball games, public reading and other activities were organized to involve parents and children.

The scientists hypothesize that the light and radiation coming from television and computer screens disturbs the production of melatonin.

Some animals use melatonin to time their reproduction, changing it to suit their environments. In humans, the hormone regulates the body's internal clock. Levels are at their lowest in the daylight hours, but peak in the evening around eight o'clock as the body prepares for sleep.

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.