FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Sandwiches That You Will Like"

Author Topic: "Sandwiches That You Will Like"
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone see this show on PBS the other day? Mmmm. Those were some good sammiches. I want to try "The Elvis".
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
How on Earth could I have missed this show?
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HRE
Member # 6263

- posted      Profile for HRE   Email HRE         Edit/Delete Post 
By not having the TV on, or ahving it set to a different channel...
Posts: 515 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

They had sammiches from across the USofA. A specialized PB&J store, two of the best Philly Cheesesteak shops, lots of BBQ, some New Orleans stuff, BBQ (mmmm), Lobster sammiches...
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

open-faced sammiches that go in the over, St. Paul sammiches, loose-meat sammiches, BBQ sammiches, Po'Boy sammiches, those dipped-in-juice sammiches...
saxon75
Member # 4589

I can see that you hate me, Jeff, and want me to die of sandwich withdrawal.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

...sammiches you get in a hotel, at a bar, communal dining restaurants, beachfront (roast-beef!) sammiches, sammiches they cook in front of you, sammiches you get from a tiny shop in the street, dueling sammich-shops, sammiches that are so good you go into a run-down old house to get...
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

That's...that's about all the sammiches they got.
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe I'm inexperienced enough to still consider Subway a treat.

(By the way, to a man who'd know, are Papa John's sandwiches that much better than Subway? I've never had PJ's, but it's a bitter feud between my friends.)

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Hehe, well I guess my Forrest Gump joke has a downside [Wink] .

Seriously, though. You could tell how good the stuff was just by the lines. Most places, the sandwiches were either made so quickly that it was constantly busy but no substantial lines, or in the case of the two dueling Philly cheesesteak shops, there were at no time fewer than fifty people in line!

One woman, a former trucker who opened her own shop, her sandwiches (of the BBQ variety) were so good that even though her restaurant was pretty...serviceable?-I kid you not, they served drinks out of a yellow Igloo cooler!-it was always full, people always ordering.

The only sandwiches that didn't look spectacular was a shop in Iowa, that served loose-meat (beef) sandwiches. No seasoning! Just ground beef on a bun! Granted, the beef wasn't ground just from trimmings, but from all parts of the cow, but still. I guess in Iowa they just have no recourse!

There was also the beachside hot roast-beef sandwich shop that does a booming business even in summertime. Now, that's gotta be a good sandwich to have people in the hot waiting in line for a roast-beef sandwich instead of pizza or ice-cream.

Edit: Recipe for the 'Elvis'. Two slices of bread, good peanut-butter, banana sliced into quarters and spread evenly, bacon, a bit of honey, then grill with butter like a grilled-cheese sammich.

[ July 26, 2004, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: Rakeesh ]

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Sandwiches are beautiful, sandwiches are fine
I like sandwiches, I eat them all the time
I eat them for my supper and I eat them for my lunch,
If I had a hundred sandwiches, I'd eat them all at once.

I'm a-roamin' and a-ramblin' and a-wanderin' all along
And if you care to listen, I will sing a happy song
I will not ask a favor and I will not ask a fee,
But if you have a sandwich, won't you give a bite to me?

Oh, sandwiches are beautiful, sandwiches are fine

Once I went to England, visited the Queen
I'd say she was the grandest lady I have ever seen
I told her she was beautiful, I could not ask for more -
She handed me a sandwich and she threw me out the door.

Sandwiches are beautiful, sandwiches are fine

A sandwich may be egg or cheese or even peanut butter
But the taste so good to me it doesn't even matter
Jam or ham or cucumber, any kind will do
I like sandwiches, how about you?

(everybody now!)

Hey! Sandwiches are beautiful, sandwiches are fine

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen this program. The New Orleans and New York segments in particular are not to be missed.

Someone could take pity on saxy and buy him the video.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Wow -- there's also a book.

Make sure you scroll down and check out the free sandwich recipe.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Zalmoxis = fun-spoiler [Wink]
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Sandwiches are nothing to joke about.
saxon75
Member # 4589

Amen, brother.
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Any mention of Cuban Sandwiches or Medianoches?

If not, then the list is garbage. [Razz]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Nope.

But I am not a sandwich elitist* and welcome knowledge of sandwiches from all cultures and traditions.

Please explain.

* even WonderBread has its uses.

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the universality of the sandwich is one of the firmest indications of its brilliance. [Smile]

Question: do we include the multi-racial incarnations of the "wrap" (e.g., burrito, crèpe, egg roll) as a sort of proto-sandwich?

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

A cuban sandwich and a medianoche are essentially the same thing; only the bread differs. A cuban sandwich is on cuban bread, which is similar to french or italian only less crusty, ideally. A medianoche is on a kind of sweet bread. Many Americans get the wrong impression when I say this. It's not sweet to an overpowering degree. Nobody would confuse this bread with a dessert. Either way, within the bread is a minimum of one inch of the following: sliced ham, sliced pork, swiss cheese, pickle (sliced the long way, not the short way) and mustard. The order I gave is pretty much the correct order from bottom to top (though the two meats can go in pretty much either order). The sandwhich should be pressed in a sandwich press.

A lot of sandwich shops cheat by adding the mustard after pressing the sandwich (in the wrong place since the cheese will have attached itself to the bread). They do this to avoid getting the press messy with oozed mustard (a good name for a rock band, by the way). While I don't consider this unforgivable, some purists would disagree.

Any sandwich that comes without mustard is not authentic. Any sandwich that comes with less than a full inch of contents is not authentic. Any shop that includes mayonaise, lettuce, tomato, or ketchup within its sandwich ought to be burned to the ground, and its employees branded.

[Smile]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Bah.

I have yet to have a sandwich that didn't include mayo.

Why am I seeing Dr. Seuss "butter side up, butter side down" wars starting? [Razz]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Mmmm...Cuban sammiches. Come to think of it, I thought that, too, Joe. "No Cubans?! And you included an unseasoned loose-meat beef 'sandwich'?"

Sandwiches are nothing to joke about, but I was not joking, I was gloating [Razz] [

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Sadly, it appears that an authentic Cuban sandwich is most likely not to be found here in the Bay Area. The examples I ran across in a quick search had either been Mexican-ized and/or fancified [citrus glazed pork, peperoncini, anchiote aioli, baguette, etc.].
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Put your money where your mouth is.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
No deep fried chocolate sandwich? :goes off in search of link:

It was discussed here but the root link is gone.

[ July 27, 2004, 05:57 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

Personally, I put mustard very near the bottom of the list of condiments. In fact, off the top of my head, I can't think of a condiment I'd less like to eat. I'm sure there are others, but I can't think of them right now. I usually think of mustard as less of a condiment and more of a "thing that ruins my sandwich." It doesn't always make the sandwich completely inedible, but it does make me think, "God I wish this sandwich didn't have mustard on it," with every bite.

But I recognize that there are lots of people out there who like mustard. I'll never understand these people, but I know they're out there.

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
<--- has 15 different varieties of mustard in her refrigerator. Can't imagine a sandwich without it.

I will admit that the plain yellow stuff that comes in a squeeze bottle is icky, though.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

Oh, I wasn't just talking about French's. I have yet to find a mustard of any sort that I find more pleasing than not at all on a sandwich. I will say that some types of mustard can be a very good ingredient in vinegar-based salad dressings, though.
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember the PBS special about hot dogs. They said ketchup was some kind of mortal sin.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*totally agrees with saxy about mustard*

I keep it for guests and my kids, and to make dressings with. Don't put it on my sandwich.

You may mix it with honey and pour it over my chicken. You may mix it with mayonnaise, oil, and spices and make a lovely pasta salad dressing. You may mix it with vinegar and make a nice vinaigrette.

But never put it on my sandwich. Ketchup either. Mayonnaise is fine, though.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I wasn't so much talking about my personal preferences as how a sandwich is correctly made. For instance, I also prefer other mustards to the yellow kind, but the yellow kind is the correct kind for a true cuban sandwich. I also like ketchup on many things, but it has no place on a cuban sandwich.

::is disappointed that nobody appreciated his links::

*pout*

saxon75
Member # 4589

Sorry, man. I was just so crestfallen at the idea of a sandwich that I'd be unable to enjoy in its unadulterated, authentic state that I didn't click on any of your links. The ketchup one is funny, but I don't get what it has to do with ketchup.
Icarus
Member # 3162

The great Ronald Reagan/Ketchup connection
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with the group that likes mustard. I can't imagine a pattymelt without mustard. Hotdogs and bratwurst scream for mustard. Ketchup on the other hand I tolerate on sandwiches, especially egg sandwiches, but more often use ketchup with potatoes.

Edited for clarity, grammar was awful.

[ July 29, 2004, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: punwit ]

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

Ah, see there you go. I was two years old in 1981, and that only for the second half of it. Even though I do have a few memories of being that age, I have none about school lunches, which is not at all surprising given that my first school lunch was most likely in 1984.
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, thanks Icarus. Now I want a Cuban sammich. Anybody know where I can find a genuine cuban sammich in the Phoenix area?

Has anybody had a meatball sammich from The Claim Jumper? Biggest sammich I've ever had. The thing was a foot long and the meatballs were so big I had to eat it with a knife and fork. [Big Grin] Good sammich.

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I can't vouch for the recommendations these three guys make, but I have enjoyed reading their website on occasion. They list two places:

Chary's Place, at 3945 East Camelback Road seems to mostly serve Mexican (not Tex-Mex) food but has some Cuban items on the menu, I guess.

Havana Café and Havana Patio Café, at 4225 East Camelback Road and 6245 East Bell Road respectively, seem more like the real deal.

Neither page mentions whether the restaurants serve cuban sandwiches or medianoches (my personal preference), but it seems like a pretty safe bet.

I haven't tried either of the places they recommend in Orlando yet--though I intend to, since I have yet to find good Cuban food here--so once I do I'll know how worthwhile their recommendations are.

EDIT for typos

[ July 29, 2004, 09:49 PM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.