FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » KamaCon Downtown Art Outing (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: KamaCon Downtown Art Outing
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Thought I'd start another KamaCon thread just for the thrill of it [Smile]

For those of you interested in joining the outing to the Art Institute and other fun downtown stuff, feel free to suggest ideas here.

Should we do art in the morning and the Field Museum (natural history) in the afternoon? Do we want to see Navy Pier? Do we want to walk around downtown? (There are cool public sculptures by Calder and Picasso) Do we want to try to visit some of the ethnic neighborhoods like Devon Ave. (Indian) or Andersonville (Swedish)? The latter would require a bit more transportation time, and some bus changes that I can look up before hand.

Let me know what sounds like fun.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
There is also a free trolley that runs during the summer months. It may be crowded but it beats walking from the art mueseum down to the Fields mueseum.

aJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Ohh! I'm coming! [Kiss]

The Navy Pier is one of the few places I've been in Chicago, and though it was interesting that was mostly because there were fireworks then, and I was with my Grandfather who had spent many months their durring WWII, so he told us what it looked like when it was a real millitary operation. In other words, I don't find it all that fascinating. But really I'm just going to be following you so... yah.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never been to Chicago, I love things that are interesting and where I can talk to people, and I'm all for cheap.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Navy Pier is, from my perspective, almost as dull as dirt. It can be fun when there's something unusual being exhibited there -- like the indoor minigolf dome they had one day when Christy and her family visited -- but it's not worth all the time you have to spend there to appreciate it.

The Art Museum and the Field Museum are great ways to blow an entire day -- but let me put in a plug for the Shedd Aquarium, as well, one of the overlooked gems of Museum Row. If you do the Art Museum, it would be a real shame not to at least stroll for a bit down the Mile, even if you're not a shopaholic; it's at least as interesting as Navy Pier, and the peoplewatching is better.

For more "authentic" Chicago, you have to get off the strip -- but I don't know if we're going to have enough time in any single day trip to really get an accurate feel for even one of the neighborhoods (although I left my heart on Clark and Belmont.)

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

There's a children's museum at Navy Pier too. I thought it fun, but then again, I think coloring books are pretty fun.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Navy Pier is a good see, but I think the Art Institute and any of the museums are more fun. However, they also eat up your day quite quickly. Expect about 3 hours per museum. Also, I think they have gotten a bit pricey for those of you on a budget. Too bad we aren't around Tuesday when they're free. [Wink]

Personally, the Museum of Science and Industry, The Art Institute and the Aquarium are my favorites. There is a really neat oceanarium exhibit now with beluga whales that is just amazing.

I'm not sure how much activity we'll be good for, but I thought I'd put in my $0.02

Edit: And Tom beats me to it!

Chinatown is fun, Greektown has some good restaurants and Clark and Belmont used to be worth a view, but we haven't been for some time so I'm not sure what is still there.

Of course there's still the miracle mile for those of you who love a good ritzy shop, but I'm not sure we quite fit that category. Still, there are some fun geeky shops and bookstores that we've found.

[ August 05, 2004, 11:01 AM: Message edited by: Christy ]

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Thanks Tom & Christy, those are good ideas too [Smile]

Entry to the Art Institute is technically on donation, but they suggest $6.00, so, it'll cost whatever your conscience tells you.

The Field Museum is (eep!) Adults $17.00, Children (ages 3-11) $8.00, Students (With ID) $14.00

The aquarium is $23.00

The walking-around options would be the cheapest, unless we walk around on Michigan Avenue and you walk out with lots of bags. [Smile]

Hobbes
Member # 433

Michigan Avenue is cool, isn't there a Virgin records there? Not that this would really be an art stop, but then, niether would Navy Pier or the Aquarium...

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Personally, I'm all against the big chain stores. But that's me [Smile]
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
If the weather is nice, going to a museum and then walking around by the lakefront is a great way to spend the day. Perhaps we could even meet up with those who don't want to/can't afford the museums on the lakefront. There is a really nice walking path along the lake with areas to sit and enjoy and I think even a beach. Of course, I forgot also to mention Buckingham fountain which is neat to see and a good area to "hang out" as well and not terribly far from the museums, but still a good walk. Of course, I say this having walked from Navy Pier to the museums, which is quite exhausting. *grin*

The Art Institute is a bit of a hike from the rest of the museums and much closer to the strip. Sadly, Annie, most of the stores are huge ritzy versions of chain stores. Its much harder to find the smaller quainter stores unless you visit some of the "ethnic" areas. The Marshall Fields really is almost something to see, though. It seriously is a city block by two city blocks and four stories. There are street signs inside. [Smile] But, that has to be your cup of tea.

[ August 05, 2004, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: Christy ]

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll come I'll come!

I love the museums!!

Did you know that museum used to mean "research center" to the Romans? Yup… it means someplace to "muse", to follow the call of the Muses of the arts and sciences.

This pointless fact was brought to you today by the makers of "Flip-o-Fish" and "Olives".

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in!

The children's museum sounds great to me, but not if it's really expensive.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I definately want to go to a museum - I just don't want to spend the whole day in them. The first museum mentioned ($6?) sounds great; the others - sorry, but I have to be cheap on this trip. So, I will just look forward to one museum with great excitement.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I'm pretty much set on doing the Art Institute in the morning (early start, anyone? [Big Grin] ) so any other museum would be an afternoon, and would preclude anything else. We should also try to have an awesome dining experience for lunch ^_^
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Envy.--> [Big Grin] [Razz] [Roll Eyes] [Monkeys] All green smilies for that!
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I SO want to go to the Art Institute with you, Annie! Promise me you and I can do this some time later, so my heart won't totally break at missing Kamacon. [Smile]
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

It's a date, Anne Kate!

[Big Grin]

I've also never been to NYC and I MUST see the MoMA before I die. So we can go there too.

Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
yes yes yes to everything

*jumps up and down*

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
don't forget me when you go

*sudden mood change*

*scared*

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

I'll be sure Annie remembers. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
I heartily agree with the early start and the Art Institute and the Field Museum (I have a University student ID, so it's cheaper for me). The Navy Pier doesn't sound interesting (I was in the Navy for a long while and now I kinda avoid it), nor does shopping, but downtown wandering is definitely good for me because I want to get a sense of the city and its landmarks. I did much the same when I visted NYC, and it left an indelible impression on me.

It's really cool that there are museum goers on this trip!

Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
from Cythera
Member # 6749

- posted      Profile for from Cythera   Email from Cythera         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh oh oh! Annie I want to go to the MoMA with you! I did some research with the registrar there for my university. I am now your fan.
Posts: 117 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Where do you go to school, Cyth?
ghost of xnera
Member # 3920

- posted      Profile for ghost of xnera   Email ghost of xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
I am DEFINITELY coming to the Art Institute on Saturday morning. Art with Annie is a must!

I can't afford any other museums, though. I was planning on wandering around Grant and Millenium parks in the afternoon. I haven't seen the latter yet, so I want to take a bunch of photos. [Big Grin]

After that, I'd be happy to lead a "wandering" of the downtown area. I know the Loop area pretty darn well, and Michigan Avenue and points north pretty decently. Anything in particular folks especially want to see?

Posts: 72 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
from Cythera
Member # 6749

- posted      Profile for from Cythera   Email from Cythera         Edit/Delete Post 
University of Central Florida, not my first choice but I was offered an amazing job and it's close to home. What about you?
Posts: 117 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Montana State. I'm a French/Graphic Design major with an Art History minor, but I'm looking for grad schools in Art History. [Smile]

And Xnera - that's a great idea. Perhaps we should do the art institute, and then split up into the walkabout group and the Field Museum group and the.. whatever else group. [Smile]

I am so excited! Especially because the institute has so much Georgia O'Keefe and I did a huge chunk of a semester on her last spring. They've got a lot of her late/New Mexico period stuff. Plus they've got a lot of early, blue period Picasso. (!) I'll do some research and find out what the traveling exhibition is.

<---- getting pumped.

Hobbes
Member # 433

quote:
French/Graphic Design major with an Art History minor
Don't let the minor fool you, she's just as brilliant with art history as she is beuaitful, and she's the most beautiful girl in the world.

Hobbes [Smile]

[ August 06, 2004, 11:15 PM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Lord, Hobbes. You're just asking for a lead pipe in the face.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Yes, speaking the truth often does illicit that responce from the ignorant.

Hobbes [Smile]

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Or those clumsy with plumbing supplies.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Well I'm not sure speaking the truth really influnces that probability, but yes, I suppose it's possible. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

[ August 06, 2004, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

I was really hoping for some out-from-left-field quip, but instead, alls I got was some half-melted Jello Pudding-Pop jibe.

[ August 06, 2004, 11:32 PM: Message edited by: Primal Curve ]

Hobbes
Member # 433

Seems I didn't have to give it to you, you have it yourself.

Hobbes [Smile]

Annie
Member # 295

Wow, Glynn, there's some real pent-up violence floating around in there.

*tiptoes away*

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Yeah, my doctor tells me I should lay off the baby stranglings for a while.
Annie
Member # 295

Cold turkey?
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
The Art Museum has Chagalls right? And a gift shop? Because I'm planning on decorting my dorm room with Chagall prints, and held off getting them at the National Art Museum because I thought Chicago would have more choices (considering there was only one choice, I thought it was a safe bet).
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Oooh... I don't know about Chagall. I know the one window of his is there, but I don't remember what and how many paintings of his they have...

I shall research that. [Smile]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
The Art Museum has a veritable plethora of Chagalls, yes. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
ELICIT
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
[Dont Know] I know absolutely NOTHING about art. However, I will follow the group about anywhere....

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
My vote goes to the Art institute and the aquarium, which I haven't been back to since I fell in love with fish. I'd like to make it to michigan avenue int he near future, but I'm thinking not this trip. Will talk to ken tomorrow, and see if he has any preference.

edit: but then, I promised Jamie I'd teach her to fly my fourstring kite, too, and that would be something to do at the lakeshore.

Ni!

[ August 09, 2004, 01:44 AM: Message edited by: kwsni ]

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
((((Hobbes))))
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Chagall Windows
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not going to Kamacon but I thought I'd point out that if one just wants to be really cheap and see a lot of the city you can walk all the way from the fountain in the park, down by the art museum all the way up to Hancock building. Your feet are sure to be exhausted by you'll have a lovely view of the lake. It also takes you by the beach where you can dip your feet and there are fountains by navy pier that you can run in. Although I have to agree other than dancing in the fountains and looking at a few of the sculptures Navy Pier is quiet dull.

Also I'd stay away from the Science Museum(this is different from the Field Museum which is quite cool). The Science Museum is more like a kids museum which is okay. But it's down south by the University of Chicago and the L doesn't go down there. Well, it sorta does but you have to walk through an interesting neighborhood to get there and I wouldn't advise it if you'd get caught there near dark.

As far as food Wrigleyville is a great place to eat. After you see the museums you could catch a train north. Then you can see where the Cubs play and the area has a significantly different feel.

Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
*reminds self to pack extra-comfortable athletic shoes for walking around Chicago*

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay art! [Big Grin]

(Yes, that's all I have to contribute to this discussion.)

Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ghost of xnera
Member # 3920

- posted      Profile for ghost of xnera   Email ghost of xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
I am obviously a native Chicagoan, because I find myself saying "No, not the Science Museum. It's the Museum of Science and Industry." * [Roll Eyes] at self*

Yes, the MSI is further south. I wouldn't say it's a kids' museum, but yeah, it's not as good as the museums in the Museum Campus. And I must take a minute to tip my hat to Mayor Daley for the Museum Campus. I had my doubts, but they did a lovely job with it, and it is quite nice.

It is very pleasant to walk along the Lake. I've walked it from about a mile south of McCormick place up to where Lake Shore Drive turns into Sheridan, so I know it quite well. There are plenty of bathrooms and water fountains, as well as some public art along the way.

I haven't been to Navy Pier in a while. Does anyone know if they still have the stained glass exhibit? It was quite stunning, and I think they might have had a Chagall there. The name definitely sounds familiar, and I'm not sure where else I would know it from. Plus, free exhibit!

For those of us wandering about after the Art Institute, I'm thinking the Picasso is a must. It is so Chicago. And there's lots of other public art pieces along the way. I should see if there is anything going on at the Chicago Cultural Center, as that's right by the Art Institute. Also, the corner of State & Lake (where I get off the L every morning) has an open studio project going on. The current artist-in-residence has some absolutely lovely work. Dammit, I meant to write down her name... Arianna Co... something. And there's usually something at Gallery 57, which is right across from the Field Museum.

Too bad you weren't all here a few weeks ago -- they had painted Mickey Mouse statues along State Street. I took pictures, but I haven't gotten then developed, yet.

And yeah, I really need to get a good pair of shoes. My walking sandals are BEAT.

Posts: 72 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
CT the problem would be getting rivka to the art institute. She isn't going to be able to walk from the Skokie hotel TO the art institute and my understanding is that she isn't allowed to take public transportation or carpool even if she isn't driving.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.