FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » KamaCon Downtown Art Outing (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: KamaCon Downtown Art Outing
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps we can ask the Art Museum to bring the best pieces to her. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I was distinctly bored the last time we went to the Museum of Scinece and Industry(it bugs me too, X, and I'm from michigan). It was definitely geared tward younger kids, and it just wasn't as interesting as I remember.

Of course, the last time I went I was trying not to throw up all over the floor.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ghost of xnera
Member # 3920

- posted      Profile for ghost of xnera   Email ghost of xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
Art Institute.

If the Museum of Science and Industry is geared towards kids, then why did it scare me so much? Seriously, I hate that place. Too many bad memories. The giant heart that you could walk through TERRIFIED me. I had nightmares of that thing. The coal train, too. And my Brownie troop went on an outing there, and I had an "accident", and it was mortifying. And the whole place is creepy, unlike the Field Museum, which is beautiful, and soothing to just sit in. The only thing I ever liked about the MSI was the baby chick incubators, the acoustics thingy, and the Titanic exhibit they had a few years ago. And the best thing about that last one was the iceberg. That was neat!

Posts: 72 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You found it CREEPY? When I was eight, it was the coolest place in the known world.

I actually listened to the Challenger explosion from the huge crystal radio set in the MSI.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
They've also redone the museum in the last couple of years. They still have the same classic exhibits, but they added some new cooler ones. I think its a good museum. Tom and I have always been partial to science museums, though, and I have many fond family memories going there and getting ice cream from the Soda Shoppe and getting our picture taken in the old car. I was scared by the coal mine when I was younger, but I loved it as a kid and we went almost every year. Its not a must-see museum, though, like the Art-Institute.

[ August 09, 2004, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: Christy ]

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
The biggie I haven't been to yet is the Science and Industry Museum. I haven't been to the observatory either, but I think I've seen the rest.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Rivka can go Sunday, so if any of you non church-goers wanted to do an outing with her then, I'm sure it would be a lot of fun.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Perhaps we can ask the Art Museum to bring the best pieces to her. [Smile]
See, now that would actually be a problem TOO. [Big Grin]

Sunday sounds good. [Smile] And worst case, if that doesn't work out, I was planning on wandering Chicago part of Monday and Tuesday. (My flight out isn't until Tuesday night.)

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Update:

The Picasso sculpture at the Daley Center is currently barricaded off for plaza rehab stuff. I walked through there today on my way to the train after work. You can still see it and maybe get pictures (albeit with panels of chainlink fencing and piles of marble bricks in front), but you can no longer get up close and personal.

The Miro across the street next to Chicago Temple is finally unobstructed again after last autumn's fire at the Cook County Admin building next door (well, at least now since the last time I'd been through there almost 6 months ago)

Goody

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.