FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » KamaCon events... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: KamaCon events...
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, here are two things I am DEFINITELY doing:

1) An Eye of Argon reading, with prizes
2) An orcs vs. humans D&D battle, with prizes

We'll also be bringing many games, although cargo space for us is limited and I'll need to cut down on the total.

Any other requests? Anyone else definitely interested in doing an indoor something?

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking about doing a showing in my room of some Anime music videos I have archived on my computer, if anyone wants to watch. Suggestions for other things to do are welcome. I could bring some board games or my PS2 and DDR... But I only have the one pad and some hotels don't allow you to hook video games up. AJ?

Also, I was planning on bringing a few issues of Shonen Jump, if anyone wanted to read them.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just showing up to the hotel!

I'll make fun wherever I go. I promise you that. [Wink]

*packs his Riff Raff costume*

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh... I plan to do a Tolkien study before each viewing of the movies.

*prepares notes*

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

- posted      Profile for Insanity Plea   Email Insanity Plea         Edit/Delete Post 
Tolkien! Anime! ack!
:: faints in ecstasy ::
Satyagraha

Posts: 359 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ghost of xnera
Member # 3920

- posted      Profile for ghost of xnera   Email ghost of xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
I am definitely bring my dance pads (one pretty good, one decent), all my DDR games, and my PSX. I think someone said they would be bringing a PS2.

I will be getting my Firefly DVDs back from Vana and Lime (sorry, can't do the accent from this keyboard, Vana!) and I have missed the sorely, so I was planning on watching some, whether it is in a group or by myself.

Various game playing is a must. Am not sure which games I will bring, yet.

Posts: 72 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Thousand Ideas in an Hour? Where we write a story as a group? Jenny won't be there [Frown] , but maybe we can get notes from as to how to do it.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll try and remember my Tick DVD's even if I'm the only one watching.

Thumbs up for evil!

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
*turns green. ENVY grrrrreen.

[Mad] (like this, but green)

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I was toying with the idea of bringing art supplies and drawing portraits if anyone's interested. With the forewarning, of course, that my portraits are very hit-and-miss in quality. Sometimes they're great, sometimes you say "who is that?" And if we have any other artists, they're welcome to upstage me. [Smile]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

I draw! I draw!!! But my art mostly looks like this....
So people might not be interested. Also, I'm not too great at 'portraits' either. Annie's a real artist, I am a hack. [Big Grin]

[ August 10, 2004, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: Ryuko ]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I'm not real at all. I'm a commercial artist. (say with proper Donald Kuspit dread in the voice)

That means I sell things I do for less than a thousand dollars, and my soul to the corporate devil.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

Well... Hmm... I have no answer to that. Except...

Non-Photo Pencils!!! (runs away)

Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Annie or Ryuko, I'd love a portrait/drawing of Sophie. [Smile] All I can do is trace and color.
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
Too... much... fun... stuff...

*implodes*

Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll bve bringing Apples to Apples and Settlers of Catan (with the Expansion Pack of Settlers).
Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

ooh... I'm sure Sophie would probably be among the easiest subjects to convince to hold still [Smile]
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Noah, I think celia was already thinking of bringing apples to apples, with a few... custom cards for the situation. [Smile]
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I'm not going to have a lot of luggage space, being a busrider, but if anyone wants to bring Trivial Pursuit, I won't complain too loudly [Smile]
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Which version? We own four different versions of Trivial Pursuit.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I think the 1981 Genus is the most pure, (and I have not memorized the answers!) because it predates the asinine multiple choice statistics question.

If you want to beat me, bring the 20th Anniversary edition.

TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I might actually have a challenge at Trivial Pursuit? My inlaws usually have to play teams against me by myself. [Big Grin]
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, trivial pursuit!

This weekend is not long enough.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

The good old HatChat Trivial Pursuit days were fun, but there are a lot of you I never got a chance to go up against. Morbo was my most worthy rival.
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
This is dana'n'bob:

We can bring:
Fluxx
Chrononauts
Grave Robbers from Outer Space

(all are card-based games).

(not Card-based games).

Bob will also offer to do his Daniel impersonation that he did for VBS last night.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Who's bringing the Card-based games, then?
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to suggest combining the 1981 and 2000 (or something like 2000...) editions of Trivial Pursuit. I hate the arts and entertainment and sports questions from the 1981 edition. Mainly because I wasn't born then. Actually, I sort of like ALL the questions from the 2000 edition better... Except the 1981 edition has geography. The rest of my family prefers 1981. I don't really have anything interesting I could bring. Unless people want to watch Deep Space Nine or Futurama on DVD.

[ August 10, 2004, 06:57 PM: Message edited by: Rappin' Ronnie Reagan ]

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
My activity has already been axed. [Grumble]
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Oh, no Punwit... the Latin karaoke is totally still on.
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone interested in organizing a mafia game?

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'm the one bringing a(?) PS2? I don't remember anyone else volunteering theirs, but I wonder if we need another one or two (I doubt it, but you never know, could be the most popular thing there [Smile] ). I could also bring the Millenium eddition of Trivial Pursuit. Never been used.
Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
noah, hello, we've discussed apples. save the luggage space.
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Vaya Con Dios baby.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I'll even bring my Canto Lo Mejor de Shakira CD. Consider it packed.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

punwit -- you can't be dictating activities when you have said you are only "going to be able to drop by for a bit" to visit with us all.

So... we will do the karaoke at 2 AM if you want to show up...

[Wink]
FG

[ August 10, 2004, 08:09 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

okay - check, I'm brining the 1981 Genus edition of Trivial Pursuit, and the 20th Anniversary edition. My kids don't like the 1981 edition because so much (especially entertainment) is way before their time. Then again, they usually choose it over the 20th anniversary edition -- which I think just has some questions they think are "dumb".

And my junior edition doesn't get played any more, because they outgrew it and knew all the answers...

Unfortunately, our household undisputed champ is not going with us to KamaCon, so you will have to play with us lesser people...

Farmgirl

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Today I picked up Travel Boggle and the nice wood Scrabble (yes, I know other people are bringing Scrabble, but you can't have too much Scrabble!) to bring along. I also have Mille Bournes and . . . uh, I have other stuff, but the closet with games is currently a couple miles away. I'll refresh my memory later.

I want a good part in Eye of Argon!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
There ARE no good parts in The Eye of Argon. That's kind of the point. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom are you going to have the parts printed out ahead of time, or should I pack my LaserJet from my house?

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Cranium, anyone? I like it, but won't bring unless others are interested.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

I've got 'em printed. But I think a LaserJet would be an EXCELLENT idea, since I can imagine a number of things people would like to print if given the opportunity.

(That said, there ARE no parts in The Eye of Argon. It's a story, not a play -- and the reading is competitive. Basically, it's a game of hot potato; you go around the circle reading from the story, passing it on every time you laugh -- and the person who finishes the last line wins.)

------

Christy and I love Cranium, ElJay. Do you have the expansion? (If not, we can bring it.)

[ August 10, 2004, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

We also love Cranium

FG

Annie
Member # 295

Wow... I've never hung out with people who brought a printer to the party before! [Eek!]
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I do not have the expansion. But I will bring the game. [Smile]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Just a word for the people who have plans on watching DVDs and such from their room. You won't be able to use the hotel TVs. Hotel TVs purposefully don't allow you to plug in VCRs or any other similar device. Their movie system shows stuff not available on DVD/Tape, so the TVs have no way of plugging anything into them. The idea is that Hollywood doesn't want the movies on tape in any shape or form. If the hotel allows VCRs, they can be sued.

Just a heads up.

Some more expensive hotels (sorry, Holiday Inn isn't in this category) have DVD players in the room and DVDs available for rent from the front desk because you can't record on a DVD player.

So, don't expect to be able to use the in-room TV. The hotel may have a TV that you can use in the hospitality room, but they probably only have one or two and they won't let you take it into a guest room.

Just FYI.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

This includes game systems as well.

Oh, and you'll notice a Coax cable on the back of the TV and be heartened. Don't. It has a security nut on it that requires a special key to remove. Also, if you do happen to be able to remove it, the TV has a special card in it that will only allow it to display what the movie/cable system displays.

This stuff is high-tech and well planned out. Lodgenet, one of the major providers of this technology, is seriously dedicated to screwing you out of messing with their equipment. You don't want to get sued. Trust me on this one. They have major film studios and production companies with high-priced lawers on their back. You don't want that kind of trouble.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
hmmm I know you work in the industry. There was a plug in for a keyboard and keyboards in every room for like webtv. Is that normal?

and I do think you could watch videos and dvds in the hospitality room.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

AWW -- who wants to sit around in front of a tube watching movies anyway? We are there to see each other and visit!

FG

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Sorry to spoil the fun, but I work for a hotel and have to deal with this crap all the time, and didn't want to see you guys drag your stuff all over the country only to be disappointed.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

BannaOJ, yeah. Some hotels offer WebTV service. However, expect to pay ten bucks an hour to use it.

I don't doubt that the hotel has a TV for you to use (we do and we don't even have a conference room) that will allow you to plug all sorts of stuff into it. Most likely the hospitality room is just a guest room that they're giving to you for an extremely discounted price (typically a suite). So there will be a TV in it, but the TV already in the suite will be the kind I've described. You'll have to get a different TV for the fun and games you've described.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.