FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » KamaCon events... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: KamaCon events...
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Primal Curve would TVS that are set up for like video presentations and the like would be ok for games too? (Like the one for the hospitality room I think is ok for things like that)

I'll call Wendy tomorrow to find out exactly what is acceptable and not and where/

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Another tip. If you want to call long distace... BUY A CALLING CARD. Seriously, you don't want to pay $4 for the first minute and $1 each additional. It's quite obviously not worth it. You will be able to use the card for free from your guest room unless the hotel charges an access fee. I used to work for a Hyatt and they charged 25 cents for each local or toll-free call. Otherwise, they should have a payphone.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

btw the hospitality room is NOT "just a guest suite" It is like a giant living room, with a substantial kitchen area/wet bar (sans stove for fire codes) Theres a full handicap accesible bathroom as well with a shower should someone need an extra.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, those TVs should be fine.

Mayhap I should have started another thread? Sorry, I just thought I should mention my concerns.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Primal Curve my method of choice for calling long distance is borrowing someone's cell phone (if I didnt' have my own which I do) with free nationwide longdistance. [Wink]

And there is a phone plug designed with computers in mind so if you have a service that has local access numbers you can get out to the internet for free.

AJ

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
See, when I think Eye of Argon, I think the MST3K of it. And there ARE "good" (as in fun, not as in quality [Wink] ) parts in that.

My mistake. [Smile]

Ok, I need to know if anyone is interested in Rummikub. It's not huge, so I can bring it without significant trouble; but it is big enough that if no one is interested, it'd be a waste of space. (As opposed to my small travel Trouble, which I'll just toss in my suitcase for the heck of it. Sadly, my travel Battleships seems to have gone AWOL. Maybe I'll find it while working on packing up the apartment tomorrow.)

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
There are already so many games listed that I'm totally psyched for, but does anyone play Zombies!!!? I can maybe bribe my friends to let me bring it. They've got all the expansions.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

rivka, I wouldn't bother with lugging a game that might or might not get played across half a continent. There will be plenty to do anyway.

In fact, if even half these games get played I will be surprised. I just hope that no one's feelings are hurt if a particular game isn't gotten to in the course of the weekend. It is only a weekend after all.

AJ

rivka
Member # 4859

Sounds good, AJ. [Smile] I just offered, hoping someone would say, "Rummikub!? I love that, and haven't played it in ages!" Projecting, I guess. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

(actually I do love rummikub and haven't played it in ages, but I don't think it is worth you dragging it across the country)
[Big Grin]
AJ

rivka
Member # 4859

It weighs less than a pound. It goes on the "if there's room" list. [Big Grin]
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to call long distance, borrow my cell phone. Or anyone else's. Is there any plan these days that DOESN'T have free (or virtually free) weekends?
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Mine has free weekends, but I opted for the plan that doesn't have free long distance or roaming. (Somewhat cheaper, and I don't do either enough to warrant the extra money every month.)

So I plan to use mine sparingly, and others (with those options) as available.

blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Rummikube and I haven't played it in forever!

And it's even true [Smile]

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[Big Grin]
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl, You mean the King of Activities
has to be registered at the hotel? Why wasn't I informed of this prior to usurping the role?

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay Rummikub.

And the whole plugging stuff into the TVs bears looking into. I know that there are hotels that don't and ones that do. The last time I was at a hotel, it was a Sheraton and we could plug our PS2s in and so on. AJ? (sorry)

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Rummikub -- however play it all the time at home so doesn't matter to me one way or the other whether or not you bring it.

(we have, like, every board game ever made, it seems, at my house)

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, also - I don't know that we have any other weird music buffs since Elizabeth and Speed won't be there, but I'll be bringing my whole weird music mp3 collection, if anyone's interested in sampling. [Smile]

(for me, weird usually = foreign)

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

Yay weird music! I can show you my Japanese stuff. (mostly anime related)
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
*Will be bringing his guitar*
Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I am now officially leaving for the airport. Yay! See everyone there!
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

[Big Grin] Bye Annie! Have a good flight!
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Reposting from http://www.hatrack.com/ubb/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=026501#000042

quote:
Primal Curve is absolutely 100% right. You can rent dvd players and vcr players there, or pay for 3 hours of old nitendo games, but there isn't any major hookups, not even in the hospitality room. There are pay as you go arcade games and pool tables in the hotel's activity atrium.

So here are the options as I see them:

A) No video games DVDs OR vcr's, because you are all too computer geeky as it is and your mother would be yelling at you to enjoy the fresh air anyway.

B) You pool your money and you pay for the rental. I think a separate video available TV was $60/day and I'm still not sure about the VCRS and DVD players. I am not sanctioning this as an "official" Kama Con event because there is no way our $10/head surcharge will cover it.

C) Someone (and it ain't gonna be me) will have to actually BRING a TV and/or DVD player and VCR as well as a playstation. (I'm not bringing our TV because it is too tempermental and moving it disagrees with it.)

You guys figure it out. I'm inclined towards A personally. (hmm maybe I do have maternal instinct [Razz] )

AJ

rivka
Member # 4859

*seriously contemplates bringing her small TV/VCR (has it's own carrying case, and is meant to be portable)*

*decides she ain't THAT nuts*

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I can bring my dvd player if someone brings a tv. [Smile]

edit: maybe I'll break down and bring my tv... hmmmmmm....

[ August 11, 2004, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: Telperion the Silver ]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

My laptop plays DVDs, but only from zone 2!

Ha ha ha! Foreign films for everyone!

*pretends hers will be the only laptop there*

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not haulin' a TV from Kansas. I second what AJ says about doing without.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
*decides she ain't THAT nuts*
See? Sound mental health often boils down to a matter of choices. [Wink]

*not contemplating hauling any AV equipment from home at all. so don't even ask.*

[Razz]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
But but.. Lord of the Rings!! [Frown]

*sniff*

Well... well... *sniff* I guess I can still give my dissertation... [Smile]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Telperion,

Look on the bright side.

This means I won't be pulling out the videotape of me "duking it out" with Peter Singer.

We all are making sacrifices. [Wink]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Can't remember if this is the thread for ideas about possible outings, but Diane caught something on the news today that sounds really interesting:

"The Art of Dr. Seuss" Exhibit

(first off, should mention this is FREE!)

quote:
Dr. Seuss, we thought we knew you. When you died in 1991, you were America's most beloved children's author, a cuddly grandpa with only the slightest hint of Cat-in-the-Hat impishness in your smile.

Turns out there was more, much more, behind that smile. In "The Art of Dr. Seuss," a retrospective and national touring exhibit making a stop in Chicago at Atlas Galleries, many viewers may be surprised to discover that Theodor Seuss Geisel had a widely varied career apart from his children's books. It included stints as a commercial artist, wartime editorial cartoonist, surrealist painter and social satirist whose images and poems depicting the well-heeled featured a surprisingly bawdy bite -- as in this passage from an early lyric, tossed off one morning after inspiration struck him in the midst of shaving:

Mrs. Van Bleck of the Newport Van Blecks
Is so goddamn rich
She has gold-plated sex . . .

"It's the kind of mischievous humor you sort of suspected was there in some of the children's books like The Cat in the Hat, which was considered pretty subversive," says exhibit curator William Dreyer. "His adult humor was really rich, really wonderful and sometimes ribald. We want to bring that out, to let people know that he had a very unique wit that he expressed mostly with his friends and didn't really put out there in a broad sense because it probably conflicted with his persona as the world's greatest children's-book author."

The "subversive" Geisel can also be glimpsed in his La Jolla Birdwoman series, in which he sent up his daffily decadent Southern California neighbors in avian form -- such as Martini Bird, who toddles about in a sheer peignoir with a Teddy bear in one hand and a cocktail in the other.

Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
Kat, Jenny won't be there!?! Am I missing something? I thought she was in my room...

Noah, you are bringing Settelers? I won't bring mine then.

Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ghost of xnera
Member # 3920

- posted      Profile for ghost of xnera   Email ghost of xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
Are we definitely a negative on video game hookup? I don't want to cart my dancepads around if I don't have to.
Posts: 72 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

In the end, the Rummikub (along with the other games) got packed.

And I finally (I have been trying for weeks!) reached someone at the school around the corner, who confirmed that they do indeed have Sabbath morning services. I think I can handle a 0.1 mile walk. [Wink]

Ryuko
Member # 5125

I wanna play DDR... [Frown]

Well, if there's not going to be TV, you and me could always go play at an arcade or something, X-ey. My treat. [Big Grin]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Theca will be bringing a TV
[Hail] Theca

AJ

Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
It's a LITTLE TV. Several years old, with a remote. Someone else can figure out if they can do anything with it.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

I just looked at the TV. There are NO connections anywhere except the plugin, and the cable/antennae plug. That's all there is. I'll bring it anyway.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ghost of xnera
Member # 3920

- posted      Profile for ghost of xnera   Email ghost of xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
If it really is a coax cable connector, then all we need is one of these babies or a similar adapter, and we can use my Playstation (which I did indeed pack). I don't have this adapter, nor do I have the extra money to get one. But it's only about $8.00, and you can get them at Best Buy and stuff, so if anyone wants to run out and buy one, that would be great.
Posts: 72 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

I'll pick one up on my way in, then.
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't start the readings without me!

I can lead 1,000 Ideas In an Hour, if anyone likes.

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Do we want to take bets on the Orcs vs Humans disagreements?

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.