FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What Greatest SF Novel? (Page 0)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: What Greatest SF Novel?
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh, ooh, I forgot a favorite one. How about Flowers For Algernon. Not hard Sci-Fi I know but what else would it be classified as?
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
I still refer to that Novel when talking about Alzheimers.

A great novel. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

Obviously I'm a Sci-fi whore. I spread my affection indiscriminately but I just thought of another classic, Harlan Ellison's A Boy and His Dog
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

And one of my favorite movies.

"She had good taste." [Big Grin]

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Speakder for the Dead is my favorite book in the world. But, for argument sake, I throw these four books into the ring:

1. Stranger in a Strange Land
2. Slaughterhouse Five
3. A Clockwork Orange
4. The Stand

If I can only nominate one, I'll go with Stranger, since it has the most "science" out of the bunch. [Smile]

[ August 11, 2004, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: Beren One Hand ]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Can we anti-nominate a book?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

I don't see why not. Not that it will affect anything at all, but it's a free country.
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
All wrong:

"The Stars My Destination", by Alfred Bester

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Alfred Bester -- wasn't he the Psi-Cop on B5?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second The Stars My Destination.

You know, I don't think I've ever gone to more trouble to aquire a book than I did that one. I searched for an affordable copy of it for years, back before the Internet made it easy to do something like that. Honestly I was more than a little disappointed when I finally got to read it, but it wasn't because of any failing of the book itself--I'd just built it up past any possible level of achievable greatness in the years I spent searching for it.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
"A Canticle for Leibowitz"
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*seconds Flowers for Algernon*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
quote:

Kibitzing is also used as friendly banter in gaming

And here I thought it meant living on a communal farm in Israel! [Wink]
*laughs* No, that would be kibbutzing. [Wink] To kibitz is to heckle or chide, and can be used both to indicate snide or bantering tone.

quote:
It's the influence of the fair rivka, I tell you!
What did I do now?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I second "A Canticle for Leibowitz" and "I, Robot".
Noemon
Member # 1115

[ROFL] Yeah, that's why I put the winking smiley--I was afraid that someone would take me seriously.

I was also worried that someone would actually think that I liked Battlefield Earth, but happily that comment seems to have been either overlooked or taken in the spirit in which it was intended.

[ August 11, 2004, 11:55 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I actually thought you were serious about the book. But everyone is allowed to be totally wrong on occasion. [Wink]
graywolfe
Member # 3852

- posted      Profile for graywolfe   Email graywolfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaker for the Dead.

Non-Orson material: Not sure if it counts but I LOVED "Darwin's Radio," (hated the sequel) and I loved Dan Simmons' "Hyperion" series.

Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
I second Flowers for Algernon and Brave New World.
Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Really rivka? Just for the record, I think that Battlefield Earth may be the *very* worst SF novel I've ever had the unfortunate expereince of reading. It is horribly, horribly bad.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Alfred Bester -- wasn't he the Psi-Cop on B5?
I just figured it out! Alfred Bester was a Psi-Cop on Babylon 5. But first, a more different Alfred Bester wrote The Demolished Man, a book which was obviously the template for Babylon5's telepaths.

I'm not going to nominate it for best novel, but I highly recommend The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester, written in 1953.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Also, I nominate Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang by Kate Wilhelm.

Oh -- also Red Mars.

[ August 12, 2004, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

rivka
Member # 4859

Noem, I haven't read it, but I've heard enough about it to be glad of the fact. [Wink] But I do know at least a person or two who have affection for the book. [Dont Know]
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I read the first 1/4 of the book, and it seemed OK...

But I got distracted and never got back to it, so it could have been that great...

Noemon
Member # 1115

I've always been a sucker for the whole "humanity pulling itself up from the ashes" subgenre, so I was really predisposed to like this book. It's been over a decade since I've read it, so the details are pretty fuzzy for me at this point, but I remember that among other problems, the book had the most poorly drawn aliens I've ever seen.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

What do you mean? John Travolta is a decent-looking guy. [Dont Know]
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Laugh] porter
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Beren, I'll second Slaughterhouse 5, if you second Cat's Cradle!

-Bok

[ August 12, 2004, 11:22 AM: Message edited by: Bokonon ]

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

Bumpdated.
Vera
Member # 2094

- posted      Profile for Vera   Email Vera         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only CJ Cherryh fan?
I'll nominate Cyteen.

[ August 12, 2004, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: Vera ]

Posts: 96 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I second Kiln People.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

I read Battlefield Earth about a quarter century ago and don't remember many details other than the fact that it was gigantic. I don't think I would call it the worst I've ever read but I concur that it doesn't belong on a list of best Sci-fi novel ever.

[ August 12, 2004, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: punwit ]

Noemon
Member # 1115

What would you call the worst, punwit?
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

It's hard to say what the worst is -- bad books just don't stick in your brain the way good ones do.

I've read some stinkers in my day, but I cannot bring any to mind right now.

Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second "Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang." I don't think it will win, but darn that was a good book.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
The Martian Chronicles by Bradbury.

[Smile]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

I've had books I just couldn't finish. Those are the ones I would slap "the worst" appellation on. While I don't remember much of the story simply the fact that I was able to digest the whole thing removes it from my "worst" list.
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
I read a book that was called Guerilla something, that was sooooo bad that I knew I'll never read anything (SF) worse than that. Up to now, it proved true...
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Wasn't it though, SO? I love that book.
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

quote:
Hey Beren, I'll second Slaughterhouse 5, if you second Cat's Cradle!

Done my friend.

I Beren One Hand, hereby second Cat's Cradle... so on and so forth. [Smile]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I hereby nominate Kilgore Trout's Mouth Hungry.
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
The Worthing Saga
Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I second Slaughterhouse 5!

[Smile]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

[Big Grin]
Noemon
Member # 1115

It's funny though--it was a tough book to find. Somehow it was in the erotica section of a sleazy used bookstore.

Or...so I'm told. By...by the guy who sold it to me at the...uh...church booksale. Yeah, that's the ticket, the church booksale. All the proceeds went to, um, orphans. Or something. Yeah. Well,

::clears throat, cocks head, pretends to hear someone calling::

What? Oh! Okay, I'm coming!

Listen, gotta run. Anyway, you should see the cover on this thing. It's something else.

Bye!

fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
Ali was the Greatest. We all know that. And, I can't pop a single memory of an SF novel about the guy (even loosely analogistic) out of my memory stacks...

If there were, that would get my vote.

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
Dune.
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

Okay, one day and a weird virus later, the nominations are officially closed.

I will compile results and post them Here:

Sakeriver Nomination Results

Noemon
Member # 1115

[Frown] Nobody seconded Mouth Hungry. Do none of you recognize good SF when you see it?

[Edited to say "Oh, the humanity"]

[ August 13, 2004, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

Updated list now available on sakeriver. [Big Grin]

Thanks Hatrack!

TimeTim
Member # 2768

- posted      Profile for TimeTim   Email TimeTim         Edit/Delete Post 
If the nominations were still open I would nominate the entire War Against the Chtorr series by David Gerrold. Specifically, A Matter for Men and A Season for Slaughter.

And I really liked Battlefield Earth. Definitely not greatest of all time, but certainly up in the top 100.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.