FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dramatic Monologue for Dracula Audition

Author Topic: Dramatic Monologue for Dracula Audition
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm auditioning to play in my drama club's rendition of Dracula. I plan to audition for the part of Lucy's fiance and I'd like to find a monologue that fits the role (not actually from Dracula, of course). All help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
Shakespeare...gotta go with the Bard. Get some young lover type of monologue from one of the romantic shows. Can't go wrong with that. Which version of the play are they doing? There are contemporary adaptations that has more "up to date" sounding dialogue but there are other adaptations that are more stylized. If more stylized version, do Shakespeare. If more contemporary, get some more modern drama.

There are dozens of good Shakespeare sites that have the entire play online or lists of good monologues. Is it just one monologue? Have two or three ready if you can and see what they are looking for when you get there...it is always cool to say you have a few different looks to give them.

Good luck!

Ciao,

fil

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
It's fairly old. But Shakespeare . . . I dunno, I always feel like SHakespeare's a bit of a last resort, if only because it's used so often.
Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jess N
Member # 6744

- posted      Profile for Jess N           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, if you had time you could create a monologue based from the novel. Also, go to the library---often there are excellent books with excellent monologues for auditions. You may not find his voice there, but your director will appreciate your range. Unfortunately, Lucy''s fiance doesn't have more than a bit of personality in the novel (he's a typical man's man of the late nineteenth century). The character I find appealing is Quincy, the Texan who was Lucy's second choice. He's charming and powerful.

Best wishes in your audition!

[ August 16, 2004, 11:40 PM: Message edited by: Jess N ]

Posts: 392 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zip
Member # 4710

- posted      Profile for zip   Email zip         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if it will work for you but i was always moved when robin williams told the story of the fisher king. Maybe one of al pacion's fromdevil's advocate would be more fitting. Theres a mess of other monologues at the site, hopefully there is something there you can use.

[ August 17, 2004, 09:24 AM: Message edited by: zip ]

Posts: 24 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
<rubs eyes> Shakespeare "old" as in "washed up?" Last resort?? Aiieeee!!! It burrrnnss uss! The reason we still do Shakespeare is that even with it being 400 years old, it still works and works very well. It also is very technically challenging. Read it like poetry and you are sunk. Perform it naturally and people are wowed.

I would hesitate to use any material FROM Dracula for your initial audition. It is kind of an unwritten no-no to use material from the piece you are auditioning for. The director already has scenes picked out for audition and if they want you to do them they will pick you for some cold readings. For a monologue audition, you want to show them who you are and give them some different looks. If you want to do the "man's man" audition, read the bits in Dracula but then find other material that says the same sort of thing or in the same sort of way. Mabye other bits from Victorian lit. Or some plays by Shaw, Ibsen or Wilde would be a great place to look. But honestly, know Dracula for your cold readings but don't use them for your monologues.

Have fun!

fil

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.