FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » what else are you reading? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: what else are you reading?
Qrios
Member # 5259

- posted      Profile for Qrios   Email Qrios         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished The Kite Flyers - excellent insight into Afghanistan and the muslim world. Not to mention the big questions of shame, redemption, friendship, children.
Posts: 39 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
The Da Vinci Code.
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished reading People of the Owl, by the Gears. I don't know how accurate their portraits of Native American life are, but I find them fascinating.
Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I've read The Kite Flyers - I think it's called The Kite Runner in the UK. It was by far the best book I'd read in a long time... gripped me the whole way through, made me think, made me cry in places (the last book I actually cried at was Lost Boys, which I read six years ago). It's a beautifully written book, and the writer knows his subject at a very deep level.

Since then I've been reading Arthur Ransome's Swallows and Amazons series, lent to me by my boyfriend who couldn't believe I'd missed them as a child (nor can I now, they are exactly the sort of books I would have loved then, and indeed still do). I've also read Karen Armstrong's biographies of the Buddha and of Prophet Muhammad - both very well written, erudite and sympathetic.

Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished "Wicked," which was amazing, and I'm about to start Tracy Chevalier's "The Lady and the Unicorn," by the same lady who wrote "Girl With a Pearl Earring," another simply fantastic book.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Raia, I enjoyed "Girl With a Pearl Earring" as well. Grete (wasn't that her name?) was such an interesting character.

Right now I'm reading "The World According to Garp" and "The First Amber Chronicles." I keep having to put "Garp" down because it's kind of depressing, so then I pick up "Amber" to lighten the mood.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Yeah, Griet... she was! I thought it was just phenomenally written... I really felt like I was looking at the Vermeer painting the whole time. And the characters were so beautifully developed. I can't wait to start "The Lady and the Unicorn"... and that's a work of art I've actually seen, so it'll be even more interesting!
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
i'm currently reading "If Chins Could Kill" by Bruce Campbell
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I should finish Eats, Shoots and Leaves today. I've enjoyd it and there are many things in it that I should remember, sadly, I don't think it'll stick. After that I'm bookless but I should be flying home this weekend and Mom always hooks me up with a pile of things to read.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

If Chins Could Kill? [Eek!]

Is it good?

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
If Chins Could Kill is GREAT!
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reading the misserable faces of my students right now. Pretty funny stuff. 1 out of 25 kids brought back there homework and completely wrecked my plans for the period so now they are writing an essay on the importance of responsibility. I guess I'll be reading those next. [Smile]
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I finished Orwell's Burmese Days the other day. I'm reading Dan Brown's horribly written Digital Fortress right now, and I'm still working on the The Lands Beneath the Winds Vol. II, but I haven't actually read it for a couple of days.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reading Breaking the Da Vinci Code by Darrell Bock.

He was in town here recently and gave a speech and went over all the points he covers in the book, and then some. It was very informative.

Hey, Eduardo, I'll loan it to you after you're done with what you are reading now.... [Wink]

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Breaking the Da Vinci Code? *boggle*
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
I also loved Girl with a Pearl Earring, and have Wicked and Lady and a Unicorn on my shelf to read.

I'm currently reading Something Rotten -- A Thursday Next novel. Recent threads have made me realize just how far behind I am with my reading list!

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reading "Wall Around a Star" by Frederick Pohl and Jack Williamson. However, the whole trachyon transmission thing is really getting on my nerves, so as soon as I get to the library I'm going to get the first Amber book and try it out.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Flaubert's Parrot

I tried reading Harry Turtledove's How Few Remain, and while I loved the ideas and the concept and the ending (I cheated), the writing was so bad I couldn't get through it. It was bad enough to drive me back to "high" literature. Flaubert's Parrot doesn't have the alternative universe and imagination part, but the writing really is better. It's a joy in itself.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah, I love Turtledove's ideas, but I often wince at his writing.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Just finished the Garden of Rama, which completes a series I should have read long ago.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

You know, years ago I tried to get into the Rama series, but it didn't quite happen.
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I just finished "Wicked," which was amazing, and I'm about to start Tracy Chevalier's "The Lady and the Unicorn," by the same lady who wrote "Girl With a Pearl Earring," another simply fantastic book.
Wicked was my favorite Maguire book (although I never did get around to reading Lost) and Lady was quite excellent. Girl is on my future list.

I'm working my way through Terry Goodkind's "Sword of Truth" series, currently on book 5, "Soul of the Fire". I'm hoping to get through the series before the last Dark Tower book releases on the 21st.

Goody

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Psycho Triad
Member # 3331

- posted      Profile for Psycho Triad   Email Psycho Triad         Edit/Delete Post 
The Gods of the North ~ a pretty detailed book about Norse mythology.

Lets Go! Ireland ~ a travel book about ireland, supporting my hopeless dream to travel there this winter.

Hatrack River Forum ~ some online thing that seems kinda, well, Evil.

Posts: 271 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Goody, I still need to make it through Song of Susannah. Not sure I can make it by the 21st! *moves it up on the list*

[ September 02, 2004, 01:09 PM: Message edited by: Christy ]

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
World According to Garp
Mmmmm... I love John Irving. Read all his stuff.

Currently though I'm re-reading "Songmaster" and the "Earthsea" books.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to get into Dandelion Wine. So far, I'm just confused. [Dont Know]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Where are you in the book Porter?
Raia
Member # 4700

Psycho -- What else are you reading? [Wink]
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Plato's Apology... in the original Greek. Well, that's for a class, but I am reading the Crito (in Greek, of course) for fun.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

You didn't like the Rama series, Noemon? Hmm. I really liked them all, but I thought the first two were the best.

A.C. Clarke does tend to go off on tangents though.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished a translation of The Immoralist by some French author whose name I forget. I am about halfway through the collected stories of H. H. Munro, better known as Saki. Next is King Solomon's Mines, but I have actually read that before some years ago. The used bookstore was not out of Zelazny, but I have already purchased all the novels they had that I had not yet read.

I think I like used bookstores better than new bookstores, although both in the same store would be nice.

Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

Space Opera, how do you like the first Amber Chronicles? Have you read any other Zelazny?

blacwolve, do not check out the first Amber book until you are sure the library has the rest of the first series. I had to wait two years without knowing what happened next! Lord of Light is my favorite work by Zelazny, and it is a stand-alone novel.

The Rama series was weird. The first book was basically unconnected with the rest of the series, and was probably the most interesting. I read all the Clarke in my high school library and thought him basically overrated, but my high school library was not very large. I always find books I want to spend my money on more than his.

Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah, I've never been terribly impressed with Clark. He's never struck me as bad, really, just not as great as he's cracked up to be. Now, I should say that it has been...oh, probably a decade since I last opened one of his books (could be more, could be less), and I was basically a different person a decade ago than I am now, so it's always possible that his stuff would really appeal to me, were I to reread it now. I don't remember it well enough to be able to tell you what it was I didn't like about it.
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with reading Irving's other works is that Garp is vastly superior to everything else he's ever written. I think you'll feel kind of letdown if you try his other things, I know I sure did. Certainly I never recommend any but Garp
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

What I disliked about it was the pace. I can deal with slower-paced stories when done well, such as Asimov's first three Foundation novels. Clarke just seemed a bit too realistic in describing every mundane detail, and did so in a way that neither added to the story nor made me think. On the other hand, it was not like he was a bad author, just not worthy of being placed on the same level as Asimov or Heinlein. Of course, I have never been a huge fan of hard science fiction, and Clarke seems to go in that direction more than those other two.
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
And I thought Ciderhouse Rules was vastly superior to ...Garp. Different people, different tastes.

Clarke isn't a storyteller: one who can get you to care about his characters; about whether they have a past, or a future.
He's an idea man, who writes to share his often brilliant combination of ideas with others who also like to play with ideas.

[ September 02, 2004, 03:27 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Rendezvous With Rama is disconnected because it was written something like 10 years before the others, and the only one written alone. It's more like a prologue and trilogy. Clarke is certainly an author who likes to put detail in his books, but that never bothered me. Much of of the detail is in there for some sort of reason. His characters I find rather stock characters- they are either weak or strong. However, I never found them boring, contrived or badly written.

[Dont Know]

Danzig avoiding landmarks
Member # 6792

- posted      Profile for Danzig avoiding landmarks           Edit/Delete Post 
Lots of Asimov's characters were pretty stock too. I guess I just prefer his ideas better.
Posts: 281 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm currently reading The Horizontal Everest. Very interesting stuff.

I just finished The Eyre Affair, also a Thursday Next novel. Hey Christy, did you read The Eyre Affair? I thought it was a fun read.

quote:
The problem with reading Irving's other works is that Garp is vastly superior to everything else he's ever written.
Gotta disagree with you there, man. A Prayer for Owen Meany was better for me than Garp, though I did like Garp immensely. Ever since I saw The Door in the Floor, I've been meaning to read A Widow for One Year. If the film is any indicator, the book will be excellent.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
Teshi, did you read Rama Revealed? Because that is, chronologically, the last part in the series. Or did you just read them out of order? Garden of Rama is part 3 of a 4 book series.
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still working on War and Peace . I've reat a little over 20% of it. If I started reading something else, I'd never get through War and Peace as it has over 2000 pages. [Eek!]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Fitz, when I said Garden of Rama I meant Rama Revealed. I'm just going mad, that's all.
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

Actually, I shouldn't pretend to have read the complete works of John Irving, I'm quite sure I haven't read them all. Sufficed to say, I thought it was quite marvelous and didn't enjoy Cider House nearly as much as I'd been lead to believe I would. Perhaps I'm still bitter [Wink]
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Danzig, I'm not sure what I think of the Amber Chronicles yet. I'm not very far in (maybe 100 pages or so?). I was surprised that the mystery of who Corwin truly is was solved so quickly; I suppose this means that there's lots of family drama and backstabbing to come. I like it, but so far I'm not in love with it yet.

As far as Irving goes, the only other thing I've read by him was "Cider House Rules," which I enjoyed. I just loved Homer. He is an author I plan to definately continue reading.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gryphonesse
Member # 6651

- posted      Profile for Gryphonesse   Email Gryphonesse         Edit/Delete Post 
just finished re-reading the King of Ys series by Poul and Karen Anderson. I've always liked that series. Lucked upon it in Half-Price books one day. Before that, I scrounged and scoured and got back all of my Incarnations of Immortality books (Piers Anthony)and re-read that set.
Posts: 262 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
*mutters* The Purdue Library doesn't have any of the Amber books, so instead I'm reading a book of Zelazny short stories, and then I'll attempt Ursula Le Guin for the 5th or 6th time.

Are Zelazny's books in the same style as his short stories? I'm not sure I could stand a whole book this oddly styled.

Luckily, walking around right off of campus today I discovered that they're moving the West Lafayette library to a location that's a fifteen minute walk away. I'm so relieved, the university's fiction selection leaves a lot to be desired.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

What LeGuin are you reading, blacwolve? Most of her stuff is quite good, but there are a couple that are a bit tedious. Always Coming Home leaps to find. Fascinating idea, but I've never made it through that one, I have to admit.
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm currently reading Lamb, the Gospel according to Biff, Christ's childhood pal which, although it sounds highly irreverent actually manages to be funny without being really sacreligious. I recomend it.
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TimeTim
Member # 2768

- posted      Profile for TimeTim   Email TimeTim         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reading no no boy for a class

I can't remember what was the last good book that I read. God it's been so long.

I agree that Clarke is not as good as he's been cracked up to be. I was extremely pissed off at the end of the Rama series.

I'm never going to read that again.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Well...I love Arthur Clarke. Just finished reading "Childhood's End" and "Earthlight". Amazing stuff (for me, at least).

After that (and before "The Da Vinci Code" (I also bought the 'Breaking the...Code', Farmgirl, although I know one has nothing to do with the other)) I read "The Black Arrow", from Robert Louis Stevenson.

Sometimes I wonder how, being a Portuguese Language teacher I find so much time to read English/American fiction. Oh, well...geekness points for me [Wink]

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.