FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm going to hell! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: I'm going to hell!
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

Very unfortunate typo there.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Pentacostal refered to a single denomination rather than a category of groups. I simply don't know.

Edit: I was deciding whether to laugh at it myself.... [Smile]

[ September 16, 2004, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Bev, it's both. In the same way "Methodist" is actually a whole family of denominations and theology, but a lot of people use it to refer to the specific denomination that is actually "United Methodist."
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

I didn't know that either! Hmmmm, learn something new everyday.

Is this similar to how there are different kinds of Baptists? Or totally different?

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Okay, fetched a reference book so I wouldn’t leave anybody out. Denominations that are Pentecostal (by heritage):

General Council of Assemblies of God
Assemblies of the Lord Jesus Christ
Bible Way Church of our Lord Jesus Christ, World Wide, Inc.
Christian Catholic Church
Christian Church of North America, General Council
Church of God (Cleveland, Tennessee)
Church of God in Christ
Church of God of Prophecy
Church of Our Lord Jesus Christ of the Apostolic Faith, Inc.
Church of the Living God, Christian Workers for Fellowship
Church of the Living God, The Pillar and Ground of the Truth, Inc.
Congregational Holiness Church
Elim Fellowship
Full Gospel Fellowship of Churches and Ministers, International
Independent Assemblies of God, International
International Church of the Foursquare Gospel
International Pentecostal Church of Christ
Open Bible Standard Churches, Inc.
Pentecostal Assemblies of the World, Inc.
Pentecostal Church of God
Pentecostal Free Will Baptist Church, Inc.
United Holy Church of America, Inc.
United Pentecostal Church International
Vineyard Churches International

There are also, of course, non-denominational Pentecostal churches, as well as Pentecostal movements within many of the major denominations.

dkw
Member # 3264

Baptists are slightly different, in that they have a completely congregationally based government, so they aren't really a "denomination" at all. Congregations can associate themselves with diffent conventions, but the convention has no authority over the congregations.
dkw
Member # 3264

“Methodist” can refer to any of the denominations that trace their heritage back to John and Charles Wesley (which would include the Holiness churches and the Salvation Army), or to the churches that are part of the pan-Methodist family today – African Methodist Episcopal, AME Zion, Free Methodist Church, etc. But when used to refer to a denomination, usually it means The United Methodist Church -- formed in 1968 by the merger of The Methodist Church (itself formed by the merger of The Methodist Episcopal Church, The Methodist Episcopal Church South, and the Methodist Protestant Church) and the Evangelical United Brethren.

Which, incidentally, is why some of us are so fussy about the name United Methodist – with out it you leave out the EUB folks, who get touchy about the fact that 1968 was a merger, not a take-over. They don’t like to feel like their church was swallowed up.

Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
BTW, back on the topic of 'agressive proselytising', here's the scriptural declaration concerning it:

2 Timothy 2:24-25
quote:
24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,

25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;

To sum up: We are instructed to be patient, gentle and meek when 'instructing'. Anything else (such as the "you are evil and going straight to hell you whore" tactics) are not scripturally sound. This is what the Universally Recognised Christian Scriptures say about this topic. Those who do otherwise aren't following the council they're trying to tell you to follow. So in short, don't judge all of Christians by the vocal minority who choses to ignore the scriptures.

LDS have additional scriptures which state:
3 Nephi 11:29
quote:
For verily, verily I say unto you, he that hath the spirit of contention is not of me, but is of the devil, who is the father of contention, and he stirreth up the hearts of men to contend with anger, one with another.
and

Doctrine & Covenants 136:23
quote:
23 Cease to contend one with another; cease to speak evil one of another.
Telling someone about the Gospel is good. Yelling at them or telling them they're evil for not listening to them is bad.

[ September 16, 2004, 09:52 PM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Taal, thanks for the quote.

DKW,
quote:
Baptists are slightly different,..
made me giggle. Sorry to take it out of context.

To all my Baptist friends, I apologize. You all aren't slightly different.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Dana, huh! That's interesting. Now I know the significance of the "United" part.

So, is the Salvation Army a denomination? I thought it was a charity. But then, I am pretty clueless about this. [Smile]

Taalcon
Member # 839

They're a denomination well known for their charity work [Wink]
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

*bumpy* I liked this discussion. Informative without being vitriolic [Smile]
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Hell has always had a popular following...
...it's in Heaven where they have to conduct those interminable membership drives.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.