FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm sorry, but I just can't take it anymore! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I'm sorry, but I just can't take it anymore!
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dantesparadigm:
My personal pet peeve, affect and effect.

More simply, remember the phrase, "I can't affect the effect."

Or should that be . . .

I can not affect the effect.

[Razz]

Couldn't resist, Papa . . . [Big Grin]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Been seeing a good bit of confusion over these three terms over the past few days here at Hatrack.

sight

site

cite

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
So, this would be the only acceptable " Site for sore eyes."
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Har Har har. I should cite you for in an in-thread dobbie. I would if I could stand the sight of you. Now get off this site.

There you go, used them all correctly.

Buffalo buffalo, buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

My personal pet peeve, affect and effect.

More simply, remember the phrase, "I can't affect the effect."

Thanks for this, Dante. As lame as it is to say, I have a lot of problems with those two.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it's lame at all. Lame would be not caring whether you used the correct one. Knowing that you have difficulty and trying to keep them straight seems to me like a good thing.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
Too:

ADVERB: 1. In addition; also: He's coming along too. 2. More than enough; excessively: She worries too much. 3. To a regrettable degree: My error was all too apparent. 4. Very; extremely; immensely: He's only too willing to be of service. 5. Informal Indeed; so: You will too do it!

To:

PREPOSITION: 1a. In a direction toward so as to reach: went to the city. b. Towards: turned to me. 2a. Reaching as far as: The ocean water was clear all the way to the bottom. b. To the extent or degree of: loved him to distraction. c. With the resultant condition of: nursed her back to health. 3. Toward a given state: helping minority women to economic equality. 4. In contact with; against: their faces pressed to the windows. 5. In front of: stood face to face. 6. Used to indicate appropriation or possession: looked for the top to the jar. 7. Concerning; regarding: waiting for an answer to my letter. 8. In a particular relationship with: The brook runs parallel to the road. 9. As an accompaniment or a complement of: danced to the tune. 10. Composing; constituting: two cups to a pint. 11. In accord with: job responsibilities suited to her abilities. 12. As compared with: a book superior to his others. 13a. Before: The time is ten to five. b. Up till; until: worked from nine to five. 14a. For the purpose of: went out to lunch. b. In honor of: a toast to the queen. 15a. Used before a verb to indicate the infinitive: I'd like to go. b. Used alone when the infinitive is understood: Go if you want to. 16a. Used to indicate the relationship of a verb with its complement: refer to a dictionary; refer me to a dictionary. b. Used with a reflexive pronoun to indicate exclusivity or separateness: had the plane to ourselves.

ADVERB: 1. In one direction; toward a person or thing: owls with feathers wrong end to. 2. Into a shut or closed position: pushed the door to. 3. Into a state of consciousness: The patient came to. 4. Into a state of action or attentiveness: sat down for lunch and fell to. 5. Nautical Into the wind.

Do you got that? Good. Now (and not particularly in this post) stop using one O when you should be using two. Yes, even at Hatrack.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.