FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The fall Baseball Thread (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The fall Baseball Thread
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
And then Paul woke up.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Since, no fish [Frown] , Go BoSox!
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Go Expos! Go Expos!

Just practicin'

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
::sigh:: I didn't have much hope left after yesterday's game, but I was hoping that the Astros would lose and give the Giants one more shot at the wild card spot.

Now I don't know what I want to happen. All I can say is that if by some miracle it happens to be Yankees - Dodgers I'm going to have a hard time knowing who to hate more.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarfa
Member # 579

- posted      Profile for sarfa   Email sarfa         Edit/Delete Post 
Icarus,

Sheffield hit .290 with 30 homers, those are NOT MVP numbers, even for die hard yankee fans. Manny is the one possible threat, he's got a few more homers (5 more than Vlad), a few more RBI's (4 more than Vlad), a much lower Batting Average (Vlad hit .337 and Manny hit .308), a comperable OBP, and a higher slugging percent (about 15 points). I think Manny's marginal lead in most of the categories will be overshadowed by Vladd's much higher batting average in the MVP voting (at least I hope). I've heard a lot of Ichiro buzz, I don't think he deserves the MVP, but I think he is a threat.

[ October 04, 2004, 12:55 AM: Message edited by: sarfa ]

Posts: 748 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
um...

Manny has 43 homeruns and 130 RBI and a .308 average.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarfa
Member # 579

- posted      Profile for sarfa   Email sarfa         Edit/Delete Post 
those numbers are in respect to Vladd's, manny has 5 more homers than Vlad and 4 more RBI's. Sorry if that was confusing, he wouldn't be much of an MVP candidate if he only had 5 hrs and 4 RBI's.

[ October 04, 2004, 12:54 AM: Message edited by: sarfa ]

Posts: 748 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I'm not going to argue stats with you. I think Sheff has been most valuable to his team, but whatever. Most of the writers I read seem to think it will almost certainly go to Sheff or Ramirez. [Dont Know] Either he wins it or someone else does. I'm sure he cares, but I don't so much. As long as the Yanks win the World Series, it's all good. [Big Grin]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Sheff, Guerrero, Manny, or Oriz deserve the MVP in terms of how the writers vote... usually, player with teh Most RBI's on a team making the playoffs.
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

*nod*

Except for last year.

It's kind of like the Heisman.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Big Poppy, Big Poppy! I love Big Poppy!
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I think FOX's flaming effect on the radar gun when a pitch is up over 90 miles an hour, complete with sound effect, is quite lame.

[Roll Eyes]

You don't need to add freaking sound effects to a baseball game!

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Icarus, my friend, you are whining. I can hear the wheedling tone all the way up here in Massachusetts, the state which hosts the winning Red Sox, who are going to do it this year, yes they are.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traveler
Member # 3615

- posted      Profile for Traveler           Edit/Delete Post 
Down with the Yankees Evil Empire! Go Twins!!

I hope we can win again tonight...I'll have to get out the broom then. [Smile]

Posts: 512 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

um, I didn't say anything about the game. I will hate cheesy sound effects in a baseball game telecast no matter who wins.
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
They did that with the NHL all star game too. The puck was highlighted in blued and whenever it was hit at a certain speed it turned into a flaming red. The blue highlight was actually somewhat helpful when you're trying to follow a tiny little puck on a TV screen.

For some reason I find myself really hoping the Twins win it all and it has nothing to do with animosity toward the Yankees. I really don't want the Astros, Dodgers, Braves, or Angles to win. I wouldn't mine seeing a battle between the two greatest offenses in baseball, the Red Sox and the Cardinals. It would be like a football game in Fenway.

Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Icarus, dear, you did not need to say anything about the game. I believe that you transferred your annoyance and fear over the impending Yankees play-offs boot-ation onto the sound system. Own your feelings of doom, Icarus. own them.
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Elizabeth, the thing is that it's usually a Yankees tradition to lose the first game of a postseason series... and then go on to win the series. So, we're not worried.

(You know, kind of like how it's a Red Sox tradition to lose the 7th game of a series. [Razz] )

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Pull out the broom. The Cardinals will sweep the whole race.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I see that I finally scared Icarus into silence. About time he sees the dark.

Plaid: harumph.

Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Just remember, our Game 1 winner starts game threads for the playoffs at a well known Red Sox fan site. What do the players for _your_ team do?

[Smile]

Go Sox!
Go Twins!

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I remember the puck thing. I thought it was pretty cool. Just like I think ESPN's strike zone thingy is pretty cool. But sound effects?!?!

-o-

Elizabeth, dear, not everybody spends their entire day in front of the computer. Some of us are busy working during the day. [Wink]

-o-

quote:
I wouldn't mine seeing a battle between the two greatest offenses in baseball, the Red Sox and the Cardinals. It would be like a football game in Fenway.
Um, the Yankees had more home runs than either team this year. They also scored more points, were on base more often, and had more RBIs than the Cards, and they stole more bases than Boston.

Oh, and they had fewer strikeouts than either the Cards or the Red Sux.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"more RBIs than the Cards"

How pathetic, Icarus, to have to compare your team to a science fiction writer and his family. I mean, even I probably had more RBIs than the Cards.

Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Icarus-
Fact checking is a good thing.

The red sox scored 50 more runs then the yankees this year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/aggregate?statType=batting&group=9

The red sox had a higher batting average, higher OBP, higher SLG, more runs, and while the yankees hit 20 more home runs then the sox, the sox hit 100 more doubles then the yankees.

Edit: Oops, and reading closely is also a good thing. You said the yankees scored more runs then the cards, which is true... but still, the best offense by far in the AL was the Red Sox. Not even CLOSE>

[ October 06, 2004, 07:51 PM: Message edited by: Paul Goldner ]

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

Pujols, Rolen, Edmunds. 'Nough said.

You can't compare NL and AL because the NL has one less batter.

plaid
Member # 2393

See Elizabeth, there we go, it's evened up.

O ye of little faith... [Taunt]

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
--I--
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Why the hostility, mack? It's not like we're playing you at the moment.

-o-

Or are you just cranky/sleepy because of the late start to your game?

[Sleep]

plaid
Member # 2393

Ooh! I got a gesture from mack!

:dies happily:

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
She'll give you more than a gesture if you aren't careful... [Big Grin]

quote:
it's usually a Yankees tradition to lose the first game of a postseason series... and then go on to win the series
Like last years WS?....wait...nevermind...lol...
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

It's the impending sleepiness tomorrow.
mackillian
Member # 586

Actually, I flipped people off at fencing today, too. [Smile]
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
Without reading the rest of this thread...

GO ASTROS!!!

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

What, skip over reading all of our quality insults of each other's teams? For shame. [No No]
Icarus
Member # 3162

Astros fans struggle with reading.

I mean, think about it.

Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

2-0
Heading back to Fenway [Smile]

plaid
Member # 2393

Random question for Paul or other stat heads: does a player's performance in the postseason count towards his official lifetime records? (Does a pitcher's win count towards his lifetime total # of wins, does a hitter's home run count towards his lifetime total of home runs, etc.)
plaid
Member # 2393

Congrats to the Red Sox fans!!

Looking forward to another great Red Sox-Yankees matchup next week... [Smile]

Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

Plaid-
No. What happens in the post season doesn't effect anything for seasonal records. Including awards. ALl the voting for MVP, Cy young, manager of the year, etc. is already done.

Post season stats are kept seperately, but are no longer meaningful when compared to other eras because of the number of rounds played. World Series records are also still kept, and are meaningful.

plaid
Member # 2393

Paul -- thanks, but I was wondering about if postseason games count towards a player's lifetime record. Phrasing it better: Babe Ruth hit 714 home runs -- does that 714 include all the home runs he hit in World Series, or did they not count towards the total?
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

Sorry. I guess I wasn't clear.

No. Babe ruth's 714 home runs were all during the regular season.

plaid
Member # 2393

Thanks Paul.

Hmm. On the one hand I can see how keeping the postseason games out of the lifetime totals is fairer to players who get stuck on bad teams that don't get to the postseason much.

On the other hand, seems like a nice bonus to reward the players on the teams that do make it to the postseason.

Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

Baseball is a stat game in many ways. Because of that, keeping the post-season seperate is essential.
plaid
Member # 2393

all right!!!!

now for that Yankees-Red Sox matchup [Big Grin] FUN!!!

mackillian
Member # 586

Dear God

We should start a pool on how many bench clearing brawls there will be in the ALCS.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

You know, I feel like I should make it clear that I am just teasing when I call Icarus and other Yankees fans names. I tease people a lot in real life, but I have the smile to back it up, which is often not apparent in writing. For me, it is all in fun. I want the Red Sox to win, but it really is not even close to important in the scope of my life.
Icarus
Member # 3162

shut up, you

[Razz]

Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
I want the Red Sox to win, but it really is not even close to important in the scope of my life.
And that is why you will lose . . .
plaid
Member # 2393

Curiosity question for Red Sox fans: if you had to choose between:

1) Winning against the Twins for the AL Championship, but then losing the World Series in the 7th game

or

2) Winning against the Yankees for the AL Championship, but then losing 4-0 in the World Series

Which would you pick?

(I know, you want to win it ALL, but, still, if you couldn't, and you had to pick...)

(Disclaimer: am not Mephistopheles, your choice will not influence reality...)

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

To be perfectly honest, Plaid, I do not think the psyche of the New England Red Sox fans could take it if the Sox won the Series. I remember discussing this last year.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.