FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » nervous. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: nervous.
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
i don't think anybody understands just how knotted my stomach is about this election. i'm nervous as hell.
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm actually mildly nausious. I know exactly how you feel. just remember we'll (hopefully) know in less than 24 hrs....
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
I am really nervous too. I am volunteering tomorrow, and I hope at the end of the day I will have something to celebrate.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm nervous too...
But, if what I don't want to happen happens, I'll raise some serious hell in a constructive way.
I will not give in.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt if we'll know anything for sure before December... [Roll Eyes]

Anyone see "Opus" last Sunday? That's how I feel about this election. [Angst]

(couldn't find it online)

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm nervous too...
But, if what I don't want to happen happens, I'll raise some serious hell in a constructive way.
I will not give in.

Ya know, I honestly think it's a bad idea to let politics bother you this much. Of course, it is your life [Smile] So worry away.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Doubt this is very comforting but...

In this election, there is a chance that there could be an exact tie through electorial votes.

It would then be sent to the house of representatives to decide the president. Once that decision is made, there is still the decision of the Vice President.

The Vice President would then be chosen through he Senet, Now, the Senet is mostly Democratic, so it would probably be Edwards...

That means there is a chance of Bush and Edwards. ^_^

Now just wait, it could get worse. If the House of Representatives couldn't come to a decision on president, then the VP of whoever the Senet chooses would be acting president until the House of Representatives re-votes on the matter.

It would probably be Edwards in this case, making him president for about... Oh, a good two years.

Now, it's very unlikely this would happen... But it is possible.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't help it.
Like it or not, these issues effect me directly.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HonoreDB
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for HonoreDB   Email HonoreDB         Edit/Delete Post 
Why would the Senate vote for Edwards? It would still be the old Senate, with a Republican majority and VP Cheney breaking ties.
Posts: 535 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chase
Member # 6988

- posted      Profile for chase   Email chase         Edit/Delete Post 
i feel the same way, though not so much abou the election as the state of the country.
Posts: 33 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a gambler.

Not only is THE FUTURE of THIS WORLD hanging in the balance, but

I bet my mother who is a die hard millionaire Republican, I'd quit smoking cigarettes for a year if Bush wins and she'll give me $100 if Kerry wins.

I can't believe I may have to go through with the whole first 6 weeks of quitting AGAIN!

(The last two Lents I've given up smoking and it has lasted about 4-5 months.)

Come on Hundred Dollars!

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I bet my mother who is a die hard millionaire Republican
Just a hundred bucks??? Man. I wouldn't finagled for a thousand.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
From the election the senate would change, Dick Cheney wouldn't really get to run it... Because afterall, he is one of the people to be voted for.

But from this election, the new senate members look as though they will mostly be democrat, making them probably vote for Edwards...

At least the odds of what I said happening are very slim...

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm quite nervous too [Smile]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heffaji
Member # 3669

- posted      Profile for Heffaji   Email Heffaji         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I'll be able to sleep until we have the results. Hopefully this doesn't mean I'll be setting a new record for consecutive hours being awake.
Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I bet my mother who is a die hard millionaire Republican, I'd quit smoking cigarettes for a year if Bush wins and she'll give me $100 if Kerry wins.

A Bush win would be verrrrry beneficial for you!

(((SBS)))

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
so i voted. now i just have to wait. and THAT is the agonizing part.
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Vadon, actually, every set of polls I've seen projects the Republicans to gain a seat or two in the Senate, thus solidifying their majority in the Senate (a majority currently help because Cheney is a tie-breaker in the Senate, as Senate president).

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I totally voted
I feel smug

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Now, the Senet is mostly Democratic, so it would probably be Edwards
The Senate has a Republican majority.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I'm amazed that so many people are stressing. I talked to my husband this morning, I said that I was amazingly calm. I obviously feel strongly, I want Bush to win, I fear for the future if Kerry is elected, but I'm not stressed.

I told him I knew God was in control, and whatever happened at the end of the day I still had him and my kids, and my life to live.

I don't know why, I guess it's just the peace that comes from prayer, and knowing that I'm going to do my part the best I know how, and the rest is in God's hands. *shrug*

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
No hanging chads for you Syn!

I plan to work through lunch and then take off at 3:30 or so to go and vote. I probably wouldn't need to do that, but I'm going to just in case the lines are too long to allow me to get into a booth in time if I go in after work. My god, what a convoluted sentence. I expect you can parse it out though, if you care.

I'm definitely bringing a book with me.

[ November 02, 2004, 11:26 AM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I'm excited for the election. Politics is my favorite spectator sport. There is even a little box in the corner of the screen with a running score.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"I told him I knew God was in control...."

Hm. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that assessment, Belle. Does that mean God wanted Herbert Hoover, Warren Harding, and others of that ilk to be president?

Seems to me that God, if He believes in free will at all, believes that we have every right to completely screw up our country.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I think she probably meant God is in control in a more universal sense, therefore the world will ultimately be alright no matter who wins, not that God was going to rig the election.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
therefore the world will ultimately be alright no matter who wins
Doesn't that still negate free will?

If we have free will at all, it means sometimes we make decisions that screw up everything. Free will is an illusion if there's no possibility of making bad choices.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
But I'm not sure that makes sense in context, does it? I mean, when I see another car swerve toward me on the freeway, I don't calmly think, "Relax and stay the course. God's in control."
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
I am nervous too, especially since hearing about the length of the lines and having three kids with me. I may have to wait until hubby gets home. I don't expect us to know the results tomorrow at all, this is going to be contested no matter what. It's too close.
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
:yawn:

I can't control these things, you know.

But who wants pie?

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Tom, think of the statement as an affirmation that having one’s preferred candidate lose will not be the end of the world. It’s about putting things in perspective, not predicting a particular outcome.

Edit: I want pie.

[ November 02, 2004, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: dkw ]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Hanging chads?

There was no line where I voted. I just walked right in and now I am worried about whether or not I made the lines right on my ballot! [Angst]

Scott R
Member # 567

Pecan, pumpkin, rhubarb, strawberry, strawberry rhubarb, blueberry, chocolate cress, lemon cress, lemon meringue, chocolate meringue, blackberry, apple, cherry, key lime, or mud?
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Can I have 1/2 a slice each of pumpkin and pecan?
Scott R
Member # 567

You want to mix mediocre (pumpkin pie) with masterful (pecan)?

:shrug:

Your choice.

:slides dkw her pie:

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon, as long as you're in line at the time the polls are supposed to close you get to vote. It was on the Voter's Bill of Rights hanging in the polling place this morning. At least, that's the way it is in MN.

Scott R: May I have key lime, please?

In other news, I got my first-ever speeding ticket this morning after voting.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYSOAL
Member # 3846

- posted      Profile for BYSOAL           Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, load my plate with pecan please. While other pies are an acceptable substitute (particularly apple and pumpkin), nothing compares to a warm pecan pie.

*waits anxiously for thanksgiving while trying to be content with digital pecan pie*

B.Y.S.O.A.L.

Posts: 55 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I was just making a joke Syn. You said that you'd "totally" voted, and since hanging chads resulted when people hadn't completely pushed their little voting thingies through the ballots (actually, I probably should have said "dimpled" chads, come to think of it), I saw the opportunity to be funny. Well, to *try* to be funny, anyway. [Smile]

No kat, I don't think that that would negate free will. I mean, inside the context of a board game, whether X happens instead of Y can be tremendously important, but after the game is over, whatever happened in the game didn't fundamentally change anything in the larger world, right? So you could make a bad decision in the game, completely screw things up for yourself, and loose badly. For you from the perspective of your piece on the gameboard, this is very serious. From your perspective as a person who happens to be playing the game, it's not such a big deal. Just means that you'll be the one going into the kitchen to get snacks while the rest of the players are still at it.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

mm
Chocolate cream pie
and Apple pie
and Blueberry pie

Noemon
Member # 1115

Really ElJay? That's good to know.

Scott, I'll have half a piece of pumpkin and half a piece of cherry. No whipped cream unless it's home made though.

dkw
Member # 3264

Noemon, I agree -- it is indeed good to know that ElJays's atrocious speeding habit has finally caught up with her.
ElJay
Member # 6358

Really. But considering I waited about 3x longer than I ever have, and one of the judges told me that was the shortest the line had been yet this morning, I wouldn't recommend pushing it unless you really feel like standing there half the night.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Hey!

It was the lowest catagory ticket, I'll have you know, and the police officer told me how to make sure it doesn't go on my record.

Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it bad that I can nearly feel the pent up tension leaving Hatrack?

Or maybe it's just being replaced by hysteria.

Or, it might even be the pie. Speaking of which, pass the Pecan and the Apple (provided it's made with properly bitter apples).

Feyd Baron, DoC

PS: Pecan pie is the officially endorsed pie of the DoC!

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Am I alone in finding pecan pies kind of, well, repugnant? Sicky-sweet and mushy and crunchy and almost completely devoid of anything like goodness?
BYSOAL
Member # 3846

- posted      Profile for BYSOAL           Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on 17,000 Tom.

And yes, you are.

B.Y.S.O.A.L.

Posts: 55 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
and the police officer told me how to make sure it doesn't go on my record
Yeah, I bet he did.

You and your kittenish/hellspawny ways. [Big Grin]

[ November 02, 2004, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I also hate pecan pie.

But I don't like nuts in sweets at all - they are so unexpected.

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
I find the center of a pecan pie to be too tooth-achingly sweet, just like chess pie. I do crunch happily on the crusty pecan topping, though.

(I take the frosting off my cake, too, come to think of it.)

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

I've never felt more pity for anyone than I feel for Kat and Tom right this second.

I'm going to pray for you.

Seriously.

katharina
Member # 827

By telling us this in public, you just relinquished your claim to the reward of pecan pie in heaven.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.