FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » nervous. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: nervous.
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have a slice of the lemon chess. Thanks.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Noemon, I agree -- it is indeed good to know that ElJays's atrocious speeding habit has finally caught up with her.
[Razz]

I'm with Sara on the pecan pie question. Let me nibble on the crust and I'm a happy man. Make me eat the whole thing and I'm liable to throw up from the nauseating sweetness.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Sara, am I ever going to live that down? [Razz]

He told me to go talk to the Clerk of the Court and it would probaby be switched to an administrative fine instead of a moving violation, which while costing as much ($105, in this case) doesn't go on your driving record or get reported to your insurance. Since I have a completely clean record up to this point.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't like the sweetness of pecan pie, I'd highly recommend you never try Texas Sheet Cake. Consider yourselves warned. Also, if you have history of diabetes out to about the fifth generation, you probably shouldn't have any of it either.

And on an entirely unrelated matter... Hey Scott, ever had Texas Sheet Cake?

Feyd Baron, DoC

EDIT: I meant never, I swear. And to add a recipie:

TEXAS SHEET CAKE

INGREDIENTS:

- Cake
1 cup butter
1 cup water
1/4 cup cocoa
2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
Frosting, below
chopped pecans

- Frosting
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup cocoa
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
1 box (1 pound) confectioners' sugar, sifted (4 1/4 cups sifted)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

PREPARATION:

Cake: Combine butter, water, and cocoa in saucepan over medium heat; heat until butter melts. Add sugar, flour, salt, eggs, soda, sour cream, and vanilla; mix well. Pour into a 15x10x1-inch jelly roll pan. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Spread frosting over hot cake and sprinkle with chopped pecans.

For frosting, combine butter, cocoa, and milk in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Add remaining ingredients and mix well with electric mixer. Spread over the hot sheet cake then sprinkle with chopped pecans.

[ November 02, 2004, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: Architraz Warden ]

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
ElJay: Nope.

It's a great picture. Very sassy.

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

I really am going to start switching what's on that page, then. [Big Grin]

[ November 02, 2004, 01:14 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

::makes note never to try Texas Sheet Cake::

Okay, ElJay, Sara, what am I missing? I can smell a *great* story here, but I don't know what it is.

So, ElJay, how fast were you going? And what was the posted speed limit?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
By telling us this in public, you just relinquished your claim to the reward of pecan pie in heaven.
At this point, I don't care. Your pecan pie salvation is more important to me than heaven.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe that pecan pie is what you say it is. My own experience has been so different; I don't see a way to reconcile our experiences.

[ November 02, 2004, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I also can't get handle pecan pie. Wow, it's sweet.
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

Your experience is different? Then clearly you have not tasted the One True Pecan Pie. Prepare yourself for an eternity of treacle suet pudding.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
What, no comments about something that has over 6 cups of sugar and 2 1/2 of Butter? I'm in shock...

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally love Texas sheet cake. It's dark chocolate fudge passing as cake. Yummy!
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

*cuts a wedge of panforte and starts nibbling*
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon:

What sort of idiots can't tell the difference between hellspawn and a kitten?

Classic Hatrack: The Trial and Travails of ElJay's Halloween Costume

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Sara: He read it. He posted on it.

Noemon: 43 in a 30. It's an exit ramp off the highway into downtown, and I never use my breaks, just coast my speed down to the first stoplight. But there's a homeless shelter on one side of the road, and a lot of people have been hit lately jaywalking to the park across the street so they're cracking down. That's what he told me, anyway. He was waving the next car over before I had even pulled out.

Oh, and the ticket says 40 in a 30, which saves me a whole 10 bucks. [Wink]

Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah, I thought that there was a different story, one that I wasn't familiar with.

I got busted for doing almost the exact same thing in Lawrence, KS, and I believe that it was my first ticket. Unfortunately it turned out to be the first of quite a few in a very short period--2 weeks, maybe. I'd recommend not going 95 in a 70 as an encore to this. It didn't work out so well for me.

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to take this off the topic of pie, but to answer Tom on the first page - By saying God is in control means I recognize his sovereignty over everything. God is omniscient, he already knows the outcome of this election.

So if Kerry wins, it doesn't mean God prefers him, it just means it suits God's purpose that Kerry be in office for four years.

He works all things together for our good - but that doesn't mean that only good things will happen to us. I will think it's a blow for our country if Kerry wins. But, God has a purpose for everything. It may turn out for the better of our country - I may be wrong in my assessment of the man. Or, it may very well be God's plan that America go downhill fast. I can't know the mind of God.

But I accept that he's God, and he knows a heckuva lot more than I do so I just do what I think is right and leave the rest of it up to Him.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

No problem... there are no 70 zones around here. [Big Grin]

I mean, no, that doesn't sound like a good idea.

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
dkw,
We had a thread once where I taled about the passivity that often accompanies savior-based ideologies. I think Belle's panglossian notion of God making sure the world is alright is a good illustration of what I was talking about. She must either be defining alright or, more likely, the world differently than I do to actually believe that statement.

There are thousands of little girls in the Sudan going to sleep right now begging anyone who will listen not to be raped to death in the next couple of days. Maybe God will answer these prayers, unlike say the millions who prayed to be delivered from the Holocaust. But you know what, I don't really think he will. Maybe it's because they're the wrong color or religion or nationality or too poor or maybe he's just too busy making sure certain people win the lottery or a sports game. Maybe those little girls need to be raped for this to be the best of all possible worlds.

I don't agree. This should be stopped. If God is this omnipotent super-father figure who will always make things ok, he'll stop it. If he doesn't do it, it's up to us. Because of choices the American people have made, we aren't going to do it either.

Belle's saying that our choices don't matter, that we can be the responsibilty-free children of an all powerful father. I think these little girls and what happens to them are actually our responsibilty and that we have a duty to try to protect them. If God is a protective father, he's doing a supremely crappy job. The only way I can see to think otherwise is to maintain a lobotomy of your social consciousness. If, instead, it's true that to those whom much is given, much is expected, then what you do really does have a profound impact, for good or for evil, on the state of the world.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If God is this omnipotent super-father figure who will always make things ok...
He's not.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

*fires up the popcorn machine*

Fake butter, anyone?

TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
oooh movie theater butter-like product!
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Squicky, I don't believe God makes everything all right for us. I never used the word alright in my post if you go back and read it.

God never promises me or the little girls in Sudan our lives will just be hunky dory. In fact, he promises persecution for Christians.

I said the outcome of the election, either way, suits God's purposes. Not mine.

In fact, Kerry winning wouldn't surprise me one bit - because I think it's very likely we are headed in a downward spiral morally in this country, and I wouldn't at all be shocked if it just continues to get worse and worse.

Christianity teaches this world is full of evil since the fall. Little girls get raped, people get murdered, the wrong person gets elected. It's expected in a world of sin. So I am not personally all that dismayed if Kerry wins - because it's out of my hands. I have done what I can do and the rest is not up to me.

I will do my part to fight against evil wherever I see it - and I will model my life after that of Christ and do my darnedest to be salt and light, and everything I am supposed to be as a Christian in a fallen world. But I can't control the election, beyond casting my one vote - which I did.

So no, I won't sit and cry if Bush is defeated. Because I know I'm not in control - and I wouldn't want to be.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
Everybody watch Virginia... Polls close at 7 p.m. and we're planning on knocking Bush out early. [Smile]
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Because I know I'm not in control - and I wouldn't want to be.
There is so much in that quote, it's fascinating. For me, it's not the fear of being in control that freaks me out. It's the fear of being one of 250,000,000 people with nukes. It's just enough control to put you in the game, but not enough to give you mastery.

You can talk about the violence in video games and swearing on television, but I feel much safer in this nation now than I would have in the fifties, sixties, seventies, or eighties.

[ November 02, 2004, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
But, Belle, it doesn't have to be that way!
People make things this way by repeatedly doing the same things over and over without much variation.
Then they wonder why things are still so terrible and hopeless.
But there has got to be something out there that can be done to stop stuff like that!!!
I just can't give up the idea that maybe there is hope.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
I read a poll where 17 percent of Americans believe that the world would end in their lifetime. It's a Time/Cnn poll in 2002.

The thing is, I'm pretty sure that's the Republican base. One the say the same about the freakishness of the conspiracy theory democratic base, but those cats don't vote. People who think that the military-industrial-political complex is conspiring against them are too scared to leave their mother's basement.

Here is an old link.

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=story_28-9-2003_pg9_6

[ November 02, 2004, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of SWEETNESS...

Ever had shoo-fly pie? Know what's in it?

• King syrup or other dark corn-syrup-type sweetener (a combination of corn syrup and molasses works too, as does Alaga syrup. although the taste is not quite identical)
  • Brown sugar
  • Egg
  • Flour
  • Butter
  • a little baking soda
  • and 3/4 cup water.
That's it.
Shoo-fly pie is the True Pie!

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.