FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Egg Nog. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Egg Nog.
Lyraluthuen
Member # 6560

- posted      Profile for Lyraluthuen   Email Lyraluthuen         Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever works. You don't have to go out of your way. Thank you!
Posts: 25 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
mmm, secret drinking.
Miss you, Sara. [Frown]
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka, a Vons in your area should have some. The one on Friars rd. over here did.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Stan! The Ralphs I hit tonight for milk had only a non-kosher brand. [Razz]

Hopefully, the Albertsons I'm planning on heading to tomorrow will have the kosher stuff. If not, I'll try Vons.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Sooooo I was at the grocery store today, and they had quite the selection of egg nog, but then there was a carton beside it that just said "custard." Naturally, I had to try it.

I3 came over for dinner, and we tried it... it kinda tastes like a vanilla malt, but no ice cream... very smooth, really yummy. I started to read the ingrediants but he told me to stop, nothing good ever comes of that.

We're having it as an after-dinner drink with a shot of amaretto... if you see it, I highly recommend it!

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
I made coquito for a party I went to last night. It's basically eggnog with cream of coconut and it's oh so very good. So good, in fact, that there were no left overs after the party. I'll definitely have to make some more soon.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
signal
Member # 6828

- posted      Profile for signal   Email signal         Edit/Delete Post 
<-- has oberweis eggnog AND eggnog icecream [Big Grin]
Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Signal's teasing me again!!! That settles it, I'm just gonna hafta get off the train at Western Springs tomorrow and stop at Oberweis on my way home. <grumble grumble hate doing the mid-run stops>
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow - I didn't realize it had been two years since this thread began. I still haven't tried rivka's pasteurization method, and I should.

However, I wanted to mention there is something called milk nog that is still sweet and all, but not sickly sweet and thick like store-bought egg nog (which needs to be diluted with milk). The milk nog I've had is from Anderson-Erickson, which is based in Iowa. There may be other dairies that sell it too.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
You dilute it with milk?!

You should be ashamed. The only thing egg nog should ever be diluted with is rum.

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Some diluting...
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Valentine014:
You dilute it with milk?!

You should be ashamed. The only thing egg nog should ever be diluted with is rum.

Yeah, that makes sense. Because the 20 billion calories in the single quart really NEED some help. [Razz]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Is the McArthur Dairy brand of eggnog good? I've neevr tried eggnog and I think that's the only brand they have near me.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
You must not dilute eggnog with anything. It's supposed to be thick. The thicker the better.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

If I wanted a stiff drink, I'd have scotch.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Altadena is the best eggnog. Mmmmm.

Sometimes it is a little heavy. But good news! They make "Light", which is thinner.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
No, Jaime.

This year's best eggnog that I have found in Florida is, believe it or not, Publix Lowfat Eggnog.

(As I mentioned previously, eggnog quality varies greatly, even within the same brand, from year to year. This year's Publix one is not too terribly thick, and it is very rich and flavorful.)

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm LDS - no rum for me. Most store-bought egg nog is too thick and sweet. Remember, I grew up with my mom's egg nog recipe, which was sweet but much lighter than what's available commercially. But milk nog is a lot closer to mom's.

Edited to correct misspelled word.

[ December 18, 2006, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: CaySedai ]

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by CaySedai:
I'm LDS - no rum for me. Most store-bought egg nog is too think and sweet.

Same here. I like the idea of mph's proportions on the previous page--1 part egg nog, 2 parts milk--and I'll add that if it's skim milk, I just might like it that way.

I liked it the thick and sweet way when I was a kid. Then some showed up at a work Christmas party one year (I hadn't had egg nog for years, hardly remembered what it tasted like). When my friend asked, "have you tried the eggnog?" I asked her if it was spiked. No, she told me. So I had a big swallow. "Umm, Martha, this is totally spiked." "Oh, it is? Sorry--I guess I never had it any other way. I just thought this was what eggnog tastes like!"

She wasn't kidding either-- a good friend, not the kind that thinks it's funny to trick the naive little Mormon into drinking alcohol.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
I posted a few minutes ago, but it didn't take, so this may be late. But: They have eggnog year round in Mexico. The street venders that sell flan in the mornings, have old whiskey bottles full that they will pour over the flan on request. The Mexican name, "ronpope" give you an idea about the ingreadients.

For US commercial eggnog, I line up with the diluters. For a breakfast drink, you might try diluting it with Diet Coke. Don't knock it until you've tried it.

Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I got eggs, but I'm all out of nog =(
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
You must not dilute eggnog with anything. It's supposed to be thick. The thicker the better.

It's not super-thick when you make it yourself. Only big dairies with their kelp-based thickening agents can accomplish that.

I consider the taste (and texture) of eggnog I make myself to be the basis for comparison, and then judge store brands by how close they come to that.

-o-

quote:
Originally posted by Artemisia Tridentata:
For a breakfast drink, you might try diluting it with Diet Coke. Don't knock it until you've tried it.

I haven't tried it, but I wouldn't knock it. Sounds kinda like a New York Egg Cream.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:
quote:
Originally posted by CaySedai:
I'm LDS - no rum for me. Most store-bought egg nog is too think and sweet.

Same here. I like the idea of mph's proportions on the previous page--1 part egg nog, 2 parts milk--and I'll add that if it's skim milk, I just might like it that way.

I liked it the thick and sweet way when I was a kid. Then some showed up at a work Christmas party one year (I hadn't had egg nog for years, hardly remembered what it tasted like). When my friend asked, "have you tried the eggnog?" I asked her if it was spiked. No, she told me. So I had a big swallow. "Umm, Martha, this is totally spiked." "Oh, it is? Sorry--I guess I never had it any other way. I just thought this was what eggnog tastes like!"

She wasn't kidding either-- a good friend, not the kind that thinks it's funny to trick the naive little Mormon into drinking alcohol.

[Eek!] And you couldn't smell the rum? I hate rum, I can smell it a mile away and it nauseates me.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
[QUOTE] [Eek!] And you couldn't smell the rum? I hate rum, I can smell it a mile away and it nauseates me.

It was so many years ago, I don't remember. Maybe I had a stuffy nose? But you know, now that I think of it I don't think I had a very big gulp of it after all. I think I was pretty suspicious that she was wrong and just took a little sip. My dept. just wasn't the type to serve nonalcoholic eggnog at a party.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't handle a lot of egg nog at once. It's too thick for me.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Try multiple brands before you give up, because they're not all equally thick. Also, consider diluting it. Maybe try someone's homemade eggnog.

Or not. [Smile]

kojabu
Member # 8042

I still drink a little bit of it when it's around, but it's more in the tablespoon amount, instead of a full cup. The last time I had it was the last day of class where we had a small party and everyone brought in food/drinks. There was no option of dilution then.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon the Dirk
Member # 9981

- posted      Profile for Jon the Dirk   Email Jon the Dirk         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it with pepricka on top.
I only dilute it with milk on certain days when I want something light, but when I'm in an uber Christmas Spirit mode I drink it straight.
I would by it more often, but it's just so darn expensive.
I have'nt even bought any this year. I had some at a friends house though, and it was really good until it got warm.

Warm eggnog makes me want to puke, hurl and barf all at the same time.

Posts: 16 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

Aren't those all basically the same thing anyway? [Wink]
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] Yup.

Welcome, Jon the Dirk! [Smile]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
signal
Member # 6828

- posted      Profile for signal   Email signal         Edit/Delete Post 
Hahaha, I started reading this thread and wondered why it sounded so familiar. Then I saw my post and checked the date. It's too bad I'm no longer in IL so no Oberweis for me. [Frown]
Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.