FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Good Eats (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Good Eats
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Kwea obviously has good taste in the culinary arts.

Good Eats is a Food network cooking show hosted by Alton Brown. Think "Bill Nye the Science Guy" meets Julia Child. Punchline humor, odd camera angles, energetic eyebrows, and some serious science. Zippy, punnish, and yummy.

It's all Good Eats.

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Great show!
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

According to his (intermittant) blog, he has cut out trans fats and high fructose corn syrup from his diet. I have modified the earlier recipes accordingly.

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
He's definitely one of the most entertaining tv chefs ever. Great fun and great recipes.

And his cookbook is fabulous, too!

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I, too, love this show - great recipes and I love learning the science behind the cooking.

Which cookbook do you have of his, Sopwith? I know he has a couple different books, only one of which is a cookbook in the strict sense, but I'm not sure which one it is.

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I love that show!
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too! My roomie bought I'm Just Here for the Food a while ago, I need to borrow it and read it sometime soon.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm Just Here for the Food... [Big Grin]
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
I love that show. I watch it every day, when I can. I can't watch most cooking shows because they're either boring or obnoxious (I despise Emeril), and frankly, simply sitting there and watching someone follow a recipe is only marginally more helpful than just doing it yourself. What I like about Alton Brown is that he explains what's going on so that we can actually understand the cooking process. Any TV chef can tell you what to do, but AB tells you why you're doing it.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryoko
Member # 4947

- posted      Profile for Ryoko   Email Ryoko         Edit/Delete Post 
Another endorsement for AB and W.

I'm not a nutritional anthropologist, but...she is...

[Smile]

Posts: 194 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I *love* Alton Brown! I made the exact comparison with Bill Nye, and I *loved* Bill Nye! I love how he takes you through the steps and shows you what happens on a molecular level, and what'll happen when you're doing it wrong.

Alas, I have no Food Network in Provo. Maybe he'll make it to a network...*crosses fingers*.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, W is the cooking gadgets expert.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryoko
Member # 4947

- posted      Profile for Ryoko   Email Ryoko         Edit/Delete Post 
You're are of course right Verily, I was mixing quotes haphazardly. [Smile]

"Stuffing is Evil!"

Posts: 194 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Good Eats, Food 911 and Sara's Secrets (both the show and the above poster's *grin*) I'm addicted to the food network.

Of course, I'm rather partial to Ted Allen as well. [Blushing]

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I also like Rachel Ray's show - I like knowing which shortcuts don't destroy food and which ones do.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traveler
Member # 3615

- posted      Profile for Traveler           Edit/Delete Post 
"Good Eats" has been one of my regularly Tivo'd shows for quite a long time. I even have a number of them permanently saved for reference. I love learning the science behind the art of cooking. This show has definately had an impact on me by making me a much better cook.
Posts: 512 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Alton Brown. [Big Grin]
Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
He just came out with a 2nd cookbook about baking. I am going to go get it Friday. I love this guy. I might actually leave my husband for him if he asked me! [Big Grin]
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
JenniK is the one who turned me on to this show. I had seen it, and I liked what I saw, but I don't like to watch a lot of TV. JenniK loves TV, and the Food Network is one of her favorites...and the more I watched this show the more I loved it.

He explains things in a very quirky way, very similar to Bill Nye the Science Guy, who I use to watch every Sat morning. I know it was geared to kids, but I found his way of explaining things very entertaining as well as informative...and Alton Brown reminds me a lot of Bill Nye.

I love this show, and will probably buy his cookbooks. I am a fair cook myself, and Good Eats is one of the few cooking shows that teaches me something new every single show I watch.

Kwea

[ November 09, 2004, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a big crush on Alton Brown. I even hang up on ken so I can drool. It's pretty sad.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Good Eats is truly my favorite show. I am in Atlanta this week and tonight my cab drove past the Whole Foods store that he always films in (unless there's more than one Whole Foods?) I was so excited. I wanted the driver to stop, but I wasn't alone, so we had to keep going. [Frown]
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't feel too bad - Whole Foods is a chain. They even have one here. [Smile]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Bummer. I was afraid of that. At least I didn't make a fool of myself by having the driver stop. But it *could* be the same one I suppose.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I was shocked to find out that Whole Foods originated right here in Texas.

Of course, that may explain why they evilly bought out most of the mom-and-pop health-food stores in the area where I grew up... It's that oil baron mentality. [Roll Eyes]

Oh, well, at least they are all over the North Dallas area, so I can find alternative baking products to make things my daughter can eat before she's one without setting her up for food allergies.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
We have Whole Foods out here too, and they're not bad; but Trader Joe's will usually have the same thing -- and for substantially less. (If not, Erewhon will, and for slightly less. [Wink] )
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I was so sad to move away from Trader Joe's. [Frown]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Actually, back when Whole Foods was Mrs. Gooch's, they weren't half bad. But the name change (which I assume meant they were bought out) came with a snooty-factor upgrade -- and an across-the-board price "upgrade." [Razz]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

JenniK loves Trader Joes, but I have never been in one. Ther are a few that have recently opened up in this area, so I am sure she will drag me to one eventually.

ELJay said they have good chocolate, I think...

[Big Grin]

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

They do indeed. And good-quality, less-expensive alcohol. And really great prices on Tofuti Cuties, prewashed salad, various soy products, baby artichokes, tiny sweet tomatoes . . . *drools*
Kwea
Member # 2199

Here in MA I don't think they sell liquor, MA still is funny about that stuff. They have all sorts of weird laws left over from the old blue laws, although I think they have gotten rid of a lot of them in the past few years.

Kwea

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Meanwhile, NH has state liquor stores just off the freeway.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

WEll, yeah...they had to get the MA liquor sales, didn't they? That is wh there are so many of them right over the border....no liquor sales on Sunday here, or at least there didn't use to be, and plus it is cheeper.

Sara, thanks for posting that website for Good Eats , I used it yesterday, and when I told JenniK about it she was excited. I think I will make some parmesean crisps in honor of him tonight.... [Big Grin]

Kwea

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess this is one of those times I kinda wish I had cable or satellite TV.....

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

Farmgirl, it is a great show, but there are pros and cons to everything. Maybe just keep an eye out for it if you are in a hotel or staying at a friend's house. Definitely isn't a half-hour wasted. [Smile]

quote:
I have a big crush on Alton Brown. I even hang up on ken so I can drool. It's pretty sad.
Brains and self-confidence are very sexy. Not your fault.

And um, hmm, I should point out that Alton is balding, somewhat geeky, with a great sense of humor. Check out his websites above. There's more than a little feminine Hatrack drool pooling on the floor, so -- Nice Guys, take heart. [Smile]

quote:
parmesan crisps
You go, dude.

[ November 10, 2004, 09:30 AM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I seem to recall his show from back when I still lived where there was more than two English channels. And I remember being seriously geeked out. In a good way.

On another food-related note, I just got home from doing yet another restaurant review, and the one we went to tonight is the one that makes all the others worthwhile.

Seriously excellent food in a seriously wonderfully decorated restaurant. As in, I want my house to look like that.

Indian and Sri Lankan food. Incredible. Nummy. Flavorful. Tasty. Perfect. Exceptional. Yeah, just toss in a liberal dose of superlatives and you got the idea.

It's so good it's worth the plane fare here. That good.

And I get paid to do this. Oh my, have I got the best job in the world or what? [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

Alton Brown is a sex symbol? Wow. Maybe there's hope for me after all. . . .
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Verily, sexiness rarely has anything to do with actual looks. I have no idea what you look like, so I don't know if you'll find this comforting or insulting.

There are plenty of bald men, old men, big men, skinny men, and unattractive men who are just plain sexy, so ya, there's hope. My favorite sexy men include Patrick Steward and Sean Connery - never mind that they're at least twice my age. I've always been attracted to muscular built men, but then along comes my husband, skinny scrawny, and he's sexy as all get out.

Seriously, Verily, there's hope. Major hope. And it only takes one.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

While I don't look anything like AB, the fact remains that he's a dork . . . and I'm a dork. So it's comforting to learn that a fellow dork is a sex symbol. So maybe one needn't be a macho tough guy to be sexy anymore. Bring on the ladies. [Big Grin]
Psycho Triad
Member # 3331

- posted      Profile for Psycho Triad   Email Psycho Triad         Edit/Delete Post 
*squeek*
Posts: 271 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a sex symbol too ... well kind of an anti-sex symbol actually, but the point is ummm ... well maybe there is no point, it's just late.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

Okay, Good Eats freaks -- some new AB links.

(And from what I read at Television Without Pity AB thread and elsewhere, we 'Rack chicks are not alone in finding him totally hot. [Smile] )

The best Good Eats fan page is one that Alton himself refers to when he forgets a details about a show.

Here's a nice long interview with the man himself.

AB answers questions at Slashdot. I want to know why the fool claiming to cook a chicken in hot magma ever thought "shovelling" the magma was remotely plausible.

Enjoy. [Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

*cough*
rivka
Member # 4859

And as for why it still takes 45 minutes, that probably has to do with Newton's Law of Cooling (and heating) and the high insulation factor of ti leaves.
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, if you keep reading the comments at slashdot, there is a lot of speculation about that... the theory that seems the most plausable to me is that the water in the leaves converting to steam keeps the chicken from burning or cooking too fast.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I confess to not paging down far enough to see that. But that makes sense -- it's the Leidenfrost effect! [Big Grin] Same as what allows fire-walkers to not get burned (mostly).
rivka
Member # 4859

More on the Leidenfrost effect, with pretty pictures. [Big Grin]
rivka
Member # 4859

*scans farther down the slashdot page* A-ha! They also think it's the Leidenfrost effect. *pats self on back*
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Your second link is the same as the first, with no pictures. [Frown]
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Yay rivka!
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Oops! Sorry, Dags. Try this.

ElJay, thanks. [Big Grin] Every once in a while I like to disprove "Those who can, do; those who can't, teach." [Wink]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.