FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Good Eats (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Good Eats
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
rivka, that's GREAT!

quote:
I have walked over hot coals on five occasions. For four
of the walks I was fearful enough that my feet were sweaty.
However, on the fifth walk I took my safety so much for
granted that my feet were dry. The burns I suffered then
were extensive and terribly painful. My feet did not heal for
weeks.
My failure may have been due to a lack of film boiling
on the feet, but I had also neglected an additional safety
factor. On the other days I had taken the precaution of
clutching an early edition of Fundamentals of Physics to my
chest during the walks so as to bolster my belief in physics.
Alas, I forgot the book on the day when I was so badly
burned.
I have long argued that degree-granting programs
should employ ‘‘fire-walking’’ as a last exam. The chairperson
of the program should wait on the far side of a bed
of red-hot coals while a degree candidate is forced to walk
over the coals. If the candidate’s belief in physics is strong
enough that the feet are left undamaged, the chairperson
hands the candidate a graduation certificate. The test would
be more revealing than traditional final exams.

[ROFL]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, well, most places that do group firewalking (like the Tony Robbins people) do it in the early morning or early evening, adjacent to a patch of grass. At that time of day, the grass is almost guaranteed to be moist.

[Addit, cuz I haven't decided if I'm landmarking or not . . .]

I think the shovel DOES melt a bit around the edges. Which is probably why one of the many blogs that linked to it mentions using a shovel "that you don't plan to use again." [Wink]

[ December 12, 2004, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, rivka. I was unable to believe that the shovel would not melt, but I suppose it does not.

(I got tired of reading the Slashdot thread too soon. [Embarrassed] )

Thanks for the explanation and links.

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryoko
Member # 4947

- posted      Profile for Ryoko   Email Ryoko         Edit/Delete Post 
Best Xmas gift so far:

Alton Brown-style kosher salt container (Salt Cellar) and AB's Plunger and Plunger Jr.

http://www.altonbrown.com/pages/shop.html

Very cool!

[Party]

[ December 25, 2004, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: Ryoko ]

Posts: 194 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Lucky dog. [Smile]
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

OK, rather than start a separate thread for another Food Channel show, I'll hijack this one.

I made Rachel Ray's Sunday Gravy and Macaroni for Christmas dinner. It's excellent. Absolutely great. Very flavorful, with tons of leftovers I'm looking forward to. I've got to get one of her books.

Of course, I substituted 4 0z of Yellowtail Shiraz for the half the beef broth, which I think helped a lot.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
No hijacking this thread....GE rocks!

RR is pretty darn cool too, and a lot better looking, but not even CLOSE to AB and his show.

Nice try though...

[Big Grin]

Kwea

[ December 26, 2004, 09:05 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

The two shows work great in combination.

Plus, it's nice to know what time-saving techniques work, and which ones create concotions your dog wouldn't eat.

Dagonee

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

Ahhhh ... so you've watched Semi-Homemade with Sandra Lee, too, eh? [Wink]
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Hmmph. I know 2 people that aren't getting any Christmas Pasghettis. [Wink]
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

[Confused]
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Sorry - I thought that said Sara Lee and you were picking on me. I've never heard of that show, but will now check it out. It was the wink that threw me.

*Hands Sara a plate of Christmas Pasghettis with parmegian, assiago, and romano cheese.*

Dagonee

[ December 26, 2004, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

[Big Grin] (Yummm!)

Sandra Lee is ... amazing. A wanna-be Martha Stewart. I thought your reference to "what shortcuts would lead to something your dog wouldn't eat" was a veiled reference.

My favorite recipe is the Kwanzaa cake (store-bought angel food cake, canned frosting, cold apple pie filling from a can dumped in the center hole -- garnished with corn nuts, popcorn, and pumpkin seeds). Check out the close-up.

A close second is the Hanukkah cake, which uses blue canned frosting and -- wait for it -- the center hole is filled with extra-large marshmallows. [Confused]

My favorite of her tips? For Valentine's Day, you should spice up your love life by powdering yourself and your bedlinens with a mixture of sugar and Pixie-stick powder. Yes, I'm serious.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, now I gotta check her out.

But . . . powdered sugar and pixie stick powder? Wouldn't you get all sticky and stick to the sheets and stuff? [Dont Know]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

Yep. [Confused]
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Yeesh. Now I see why you thought that was a veiled reference to her.

Is all her stuff like that?

Dagonee

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

Mmmmm, well, yeah. It's all taking prefabbed high-sugar high-cholesterol high-trans-fat (i.e., highly highly processed) food and recombining it in ways that really aren't helpful, for the most part.

Weird tacky decorating tips: boudoir-style "tablescapes" with ostrich feathers and beta fish trapped in wine glasses under a layer of floating plastic pearls. She used to sell Kountry Kraft curtains on QVC. They are the plastic frames you loop fabric through to give your windows that bouffant look.

Nothing says classy like fake autumn leaves clothes-pinned to the stems of your wine glasses. Lots of odd alcoholic drinks (beer with limeade mix, marichino cherry "juice" and canned pineapple Champagne punch, etc).

For your child's party, wrap marshmallows on sticks in fondant, then dust with more powdered sugar.

Yay! Buzzed sugar demons.

It's supposed to be 70% premade (store-bought) combined with 30% of your own inspiration and know-how to taste 100% homemade. RRay does the concept so much better.

Television Without Pity has a 695 page rant about Sandra Lee. Caution: they are pretty rough on her, and there is some nasty language in the snarking. I found it after I caught the Kwanzaa cake episode, was pretty horrified, and googled "Sandra Lee" + "creepy."

[ December 26, 2004, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

Amanda Hessner of Gourmet magazine eviscerated her in a NYT review last year.

ContraCosta Times has a free log-in to view the entire article. You can use "claudiatherese@chickmail.com" with password "hatrack1" to view the entire piece. I've excerpted below.

quote:
Cutting corners can also cut taste
By Amanda Hesser

NEW YORK TIMES

In the world of Sandra Lee, cookbook author and self-proclaimed "lifestylist," life is hectic and people are busy. Cooking food from scratch takes too much time and is too difficult and too expensive. While Lee believes that cooking food for someone is the greatest gift, it really isn't worth too much of your time.

... Lee explained her philosophy: "The Semi-Homemade cooking approach is easily done by combining several prepackaged foods, a few fresh ingredients, and a 'pinch of this with a hint of that' to make new, easy, gourmet-tasting, inexpensive meals in minutes."

... Any good cook knows that a roasted chicken and a salad take about two tries to perfect and about 15 minutes of actual work time, but such classic food does not leave much room for the kind of product references Lee likes to have in her recipes.

... Gnocchi Dippers, whose problems don't end with their name, are sauced with olive oil, onion, jarred garlic, milk, Tabasco sauce, sour cream and thyme -- all good, so far -- but then she adds Velveeta. With hundreds of delicious and interesting cheeses available in this country, many of them in supermarkets, it is difficult to understand how a responsible author could choose a tasteless, industrial cheese like Velveeta to prepare what she calls "gourmet-tasting" food.

... Lee's reliance on brand-name products feels forced. There is a chapter in "Semi-Homemade Desserts" devoted to celebrity recipes. It is hard to believe that when she rounded up recipes from people like Katie Couric and Nathan Lane (not to mention Edwards), they all happened to call for brand-name products.

In a recipe for Anjelica Huston's Having-It-All Caramel Shortbread, Lee calls for 20 Brach's Milk Maid soft caramel candies, unwrapped. I timed myself to see how long it took to unwrap them. Three minutes. It's not a long time, but it is an incredibly annoying task. The caramels must then be melted in a microwave oven, which takes another few minutes. It took me only 15 minutes to make the same amount of caramel from scratch. The difference in time was negligible, while the difference in taste was significant. Homemade caramel has the texture of taffy and tastes of butter. Brach's have a waxy texture and taste of sugar.

[ December 26, 2004, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Mmmmm, well, yeah. It's all taking prefabbed high-sugar high-cholesterol high-trans-fat (i.e., highly highly processed) food and recombining it in ways that really aren't helpful, for the most part.
This is what I like about RR - I can avoid anything with high fructose corn syrup or trans fats and have very, very good food without spending hours in the kitchen.

Sometimes I like to spend hours in the kitchen, but until recently my two cooking modes were half-day cooking affairs or tossing a Tombstone in the oven. Alton Brown provides a lot of the same capability to make medium-prep meals with wholesome ingredients. And both provide recipes that make it pretty easy to adjust fat or sugar quantities, at least in some meals.

With what I've learned recently about canned tomatoes, I don't even have to feel bad about using them. [Smile]

So now I think I'll skip Ms. Lee.

Dagonee

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

Good call, Dag.

RR and AB are great for anyone at any level of culinary skill (IMHO), but they are perfect for neophyte cooks. Their DVDs would make great high school graduation gifts for those moving out of the house. But even for people who've been cooking for years, they both still have some great lessons to teach. I learn something every time I catch either show.

Kwea turned me on to Rachel Ray. [Smile]

I think Paula Dean is fun, too, but man -- comfort food all the way. No cutting back on calories there. However, I'm going to be making her Savannah Bow Tie cookies for a friend. I'll dip 1/2 in Dagoba dark chocolate and let it set instead of making a fudge dipping sauce, as these are going through the mail.

[ December 26, 2004, 01:21 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Yeah, so far there's pretty much nothing of hers I could put in the regular rotation without exploding in the middle.

Her stuff looks sooooo good though. Especially what she can do with corn bread.

Dagonee

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

quote:
We've got some beans and some good cornbread
Now listen to what the preacher said
He said to the Lord let praised be
It's time for dinner now let's go eat

Ooooh, on this year's Thanksgiving special, Emeril was wickedly naughty with his iron skillet cornbread. Rubbed butter all over it.

AB does some awfully yummy things with corn, too.

*happy just remembering

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Sara, I clicked on those links to Sandra Lee stuff.

[Eek!]

I mean,

[Eek!]

And I know this is by far not her worst, but why on earth, when using pudding in a recipe, would you buy individual pudding cups and dump them together instead of just mixing instant pudding? Timesavers should actually save time, no?

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

I know. Homemade pudding isn't that hard, but sure, sometimes you just want quick & easy. It doesn't get much easier than "empty packet into bowl of milk and stir with whisk." I don't mind instant pudding, certainly not for a quick at-home meal. Paula Dean does something sinful-looking with instant pudding, bananas, whipped cream, and Pepperidge Farm Chessmen butter cookies. [Smile]

But why the expense, waste, and hassle of instant pudding cups? I don't think SL likes to handle food any more than she absolutely has to. But that doesn't explain all of it -- in her recipe for Lemon Chiffon Pie, she uses both Cool Whip and Dream Whip (powdered topping you beat with milk to make something like Cool Whip).

WTF? [Confused] If you are going to use the mixer, why not use real cream? Or just use the Cool Whip, if that is your thing. Food Network won't let her specify brand names, but that's all she does in her cookbooks and magazines. The only thing I can think of is that she wanted to get both sponsors in.

[It's like the recipe cited in the NYT review above: rather than make caramel, which takes about 10-15 minutes, instead unwrap 20 Brach's individually-wrapped caramels and microwave. [Roll Eyes] ]

I've been perusing the TWoP thread for fun, and I can't believe some of what she comes up with.

[ December 26, 2004, 03:40 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Kwea
Member # 2199

I know that JenniK uses a book, I think it is called The Cake Doctor, and uses boxed cake mixes to make wedding cakes that are wonderful. It tells you how to make a amazing tasting cake from boxed cake mixes by substituting certain ingrediants.

That can be a real time saver, and it actually improves on the tastes. If you are doing something to a mix or a pre-preped fod shouldn't it make it better? Or waht is the point of doing it?

RR is very cool, JenniK likes her a lot, but AB is the best I have seen so far. He makes me want to watch his cooking show, something I don't usually want to bother with.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

RR helps me make particular meals better, as well as providing tips that will help adapt other recipes.

AB makes me a better and more knowledgable cook all around. In the long run far more valuable.

Dagonee

rivka
Member # 4859

Re: Sandra Lee. I have never watched her (or even heard of heard before today), but the ridiculous things you're pointing out all reek of paid product placement. Neh?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to hijack again [Smile]

After spending Christmas with my family and watching my dad load on butter and her cook with shortening all weekend, explaining all the while that they were practicing moderation, [Eek!] I got to thinking about my love for the food network and the net for good low-fat recipes.

However, I don't think its likely that they will use the internet and they do not have cable, so I was wondering if y'all have any suggestions on good low-fat/fat substitution cookbooks. I haven't tried any of the food network cookbooks, just watched the shows.

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
I got a Rachael Ray cookbook for Christmas (I *begged* my mom for it), and she uses Extra Virgin Olive Oil in just about everything, and that's one of the 'good oils', from what I understand.

I got the 30-minute meals cookbook, and it is easy to read and doesn't use a lot of fancy stuff. That's why I like Rachael Ray (and Alton Brown), I can find the stuff I need (or reasonable substitutions) in my supermarket.

I love Rachael Ray for her enthusiasm and down-to-earth attitude (she calls herself 'beer from the bottle' hehe). Alton Brown is nerdsexxy with the science and obsession with the way things work.

I highly recommend Rachael Ray's cookbooks. Word of warning, though, she doesn't bake, so no cake recipes. [Wink] Not to say that she doesn't have dessert recipes in there, she makes a mean dessert sauce (to pour on top of store-bought ice cream, of course!).

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Good lord. I hadn't made it into this thread until now, but I am just in awe of the Kwanzaa cake. And the use of clothespins and fake leaves. The mind boggles.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

Flabbergasting, no? Just ... wow.

And her show is currently one of the most popular on Food Network.

*hangs head in hands

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it popular in a "it's so horrible I can't look away" type fashion, or in a "wow, these handy cooking tips will make me the hit of the neighborhood!" type way?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

Jury's still out. Apparently, people are buying the books like hotcakes, and at TWoP, people have posted about having friends or family members rave about her.

[Confused]

When you first watch, it seems so normal. A little overblown, but you know, live and let live. Then she makes Hamburger Dogs (see close-up for full effect) and suggests serving them at a barbeque attended by adolescents.

No.

Just, no.

docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife, incredible woman that she is, got me the new AB baking book for Christmas.

The first 100 pages are just about ingredients. No recipies, just discussion of flour, sugar, eggs, etc.

And when you do get to the recipies--well, as an example, one of the ingredients in the pizza dough is children's asprin.

He shall make a baker out of me yet.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Christy, do they have a DVD player? AB has the Good Eats out on DVD if I remember correctly...

And his cookbook looks awsome.

Kwea

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

He treats heat as a primary ingredient.

*adores AB

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

James Lilek's Gallery of Regrettable Foods is worth a look. Filled with food pamphlets from the 50's. Amazing what they used to used to serve at parties, not to mention at dinner. And then there's the pretty meat!
Christy
Member # 4397

*giggle* Hey, this is the same woman who gave me an "oldie but goodie" pregnancy book that recommended that you have half a stick of butter every day while pregnant. *shudder*
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

Me? [Confused]

What was I thinking? (Which book?)

Christy
Member # 4397

*laugh* No, sorry, my mom.
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

Whew!

(*leaving now)

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
1/2 a stick of butter? Straight???
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traveler
Member # 3615

- posted      Profile for Traveler           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't care for RR but I do have a crush on Giada De Laurentiis who hosts Everyday Italian .
Posts: 512 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

quote:
He treats heat as a primary ingredient.

*adores AB

Heat IS a primary ingredient...

I saw that one! Recently!

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking about Sandra Lee’s concoctions while making lunch today, and I realized something – while I can’t imagine writing a recipe "from scratch" using the ingredients she uses, it is the kind of thing I might do to use up stuff I had around the house.

For example, I would never buy a Hickory Farms Almond and Swiss Cheese Log to use in pasta sauce, but if someone in the house got one for Christmas and there was still a good three-quarters of it left after serving it at our New Year’s Eve party I might chop it up and toss it with whole-wheat pasta, steamed green beans, leftover smoked turkey, and a big glob of Harry and David’s Red and Ancho Chille Pepper Relish. Not bad, and very festive looking too.

[ January 01, 2005, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: dkw ]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
So I was watching "Good Eats" yesterday, and he was making omelets. He put the eggs into hot water for a few minutes before he broke them open so they'd cook faster. "That's a good idea," I thought, as I often do when I watch "Good Eats".

Then he said you'd never find that step in a fancy French recipe because "the French don't refrigerate their eggs."

Um . . . what? The French don't refrigerate their eggs? Why the deuce not? I refrigerate all my persihables, because if you don't, they tend to . . . well, to perish.

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
At the grocery store here, eggs are on shelves, same as bread, crackers, laundry soap. Not refrigerated. They're not sold in styrofoam containers or cardboard containers, but in flimsy clear plastic, 10 eggs per. No size differences, either.

Fahim says they bought their first fridge around 1977-1978. Before that, produce was stored in baskets or something. Eggs were probably something similar, but he doesn't remember.

Here, only about 62% of the country had electricity before the tsunami hit. I don't know the stats now. But that would mean that a maximum of 62% of people in this country store their eggs in the fridge. Is it common practice here? Don't know.

I know it's not France, but it is another perspective. [Dont Know]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Their eggs are a lot fresher than ours, remember. That makes a huge difference....

Kwea

jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Am watching Alton Brown right now, and he's got a "good Alton" and "bad Alton" (sweet and sour) thing. Am I wicked to be attracted to the fictional "evil brother Alton"?

[Blushing]

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*likes when this thread gets bumped*

I never tire of the opening of the first post on the second page. [Big Grin]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.