FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What does everybody drive? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: What does everybody drive?
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Msquared, I feel like I haven't seen you post in ages... how are you? [Wave]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
2003 Black Explorer - Centennial Model

I'd trade it for a hybrid in a heartbeat! I think it's a gas guzzler. I live to far out in the boonies to ride a bike. I would if I lived in a city!!

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe Lime hasn't been in here to brag yet. [Wink]

I drive a light purple 1998 Toyota Corolla. I love my car! [Big Grin]

Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Architraz, that's a cop car! (Well, a lot of cops here drive them, including one that stopped me.)

I drive a 2003 Kia Spectra GSX.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
I drive myself nuts. And I'm good at it!
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
A black '98 Jetta TDI with 156k miles. Just got it in June, back when diesel was cheaper than gas. Too bad I don't have the time to make my own biodiesel.

Want to know approximately how good your fuel economy is without going to the trouble of doing the math? Try fueleconomy.gov.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe it's a '96 Ford contour. Not sure about the year. The color is this very very dark purple, almost black.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone else realize this about speeding?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Size Class Sport Utility Vehicle - 4WD
Engine Size (liters) 4.6
Cylinders 8
Transmission Automatic (5 speed)
Drive 4WD or AWD
Gas Guzzler no
Turbocharger no
Supercharger no
Passenger Volume NA
Luggage Volume NA
Additional Engine Characteristics NA

Thanks for the link. I still think it's a gas guzzler. [Smile]
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

mack-I suspected as much, but never had any real evidence
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altáriël of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altáriël of Dorthonion   Email Altáriël of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
i want a lamborghini...
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

quote:
Yup. Which is why I drive 50-60 mph no matter what the speed limit is. [Wink]
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

Really? And you aren't dead yet?
Mike
Member # 55

Not dead yet. I was kidding, though.
Raia
Member # 4700

Hehe... "Not dead yet! Getting better!"

[Big Grin]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

So was I. You think that I think that it would be possible to always drive at that rate without there ever being an acceleration from not driving.
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
My first car was a 92 Volkswagon GTI (manual), but it broke down rather quickly. Probably because it had over 200k miles on it. Now I drive a 89 Plymouth Voyager w/ wood paneling. My mom drives a 99 Toyota Rav 4 and my Dad drives a 86 Crown Victoria. I think he just keeps it around because it was his mom's
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

woodgrain!

*thwap*

TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Wood panelling? Ouch. I advise you to listen to Bill Engvall's diatribe against the minivan for my views on them (sorry AJ!).
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Why'd you have to post that about speeding mack? *thwap* Now I know, and I'll remember, and it will ruin my speed demon commute every morning.

*looks on the bright side* Well, at least I can still do 60. [Big Grin]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Imapalas are popular cop cars, particularly among the highway patrol around here. That similarity has its pros and cons as far as I can tell. The down side is some people panic until they figure out you aren't a cop, which means swerving and breaks. The up side is few things will get people to move out of your lane faster than pulling up behind them in a black Impala.

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
99 Honda Civic, and 99 Dodge Caravan. I prefer the Civic, especially since it's manual, but we need the van.
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

Some day I will own an Impala. I will name it Vlad.
mackillian
Member # 586

Hey, I figure if I have to obey the speed limit religiously, I'm going to bring people with me.
Unmaker
Member # 1641

- posted      Profile for Unmaker   Email Unmaker         Edit/Delete Post 
2002 Ford F-150 SuperCrew... maroon.
Posts: 1144 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Ludosti will back me up on this, I'm sure...

Going the speed limit here gets you into accidents. Well, come to think of it, just driving is going to get you into accidents here, but not going the speed of traffic even more so. Phoenix drivers seem to be a bit more aggressive than most, and 20+ mph over the speed limit is an accepted norm on the freeways (when they aren't stop and go traffic anyways) and 10+ for the surface streets.

The cities are trying, half-heartedly, to solve this problem.

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Mack, yeah, that's why they lowered the speed limit to 55 back during the energy crisis, I believe. That was my understanding of why they did it at the time, anyway, but I was just a kid.

Kat, I take it that your car hasn't had a repeat of the whole "high RPMs, low speed" thing that it suffered from some time ago? That's good news!

I drive a silver 2002 Mitsubishi Lancer with about 45,000 miles on it at the moment. I've also got an 87 Chevy Nova, but it's been so long since I've driven it that not too long ago I noticed thick spiderwebs going between its hubcaps and the curb. Oh, and I noticed the other day that one of its tires has gone flat. I should really drive it a little more--isn't good for a vehicle to just sit like that.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
2001 Mitsubishi Montero Ltd.
1992 Toyota Camry
1916 Sopwith Camel

Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
mack, I've known that; it's one of the reasons there was the mandated 55 MPH law until the 90s.

I _especially_ know it now in my hybrid. At 75ish (my normal highway speed), it's hard to stay at 40 MPGs. When I drop it to 55, I can get closer to 60 MPG.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
2005 Scion tC (manual), with way more miles that it should rightfully have at this point.

It's been a great car thus far. Drives like I spent $10k more than I did, is very comfortable to boot, and has two sunroofs. [Big Grin]

Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I use legs.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yeah, they drummed it into us during the gas shortage - that's, as was suggested, why they lowered the speed limit to 55.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
[ROFL]
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
My first car was a 1980 Honda Civic - backpocket car. I named him Vladimir Cliff, or Vlady for short.

My second car was a 1989 Chevie Sprint, also a backpocket car. He was named Vlady 2.

Vlady's of the world, unite and take over!!!!! [ROFL]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's safe to say that Cor and I own the two weirdest cars of anybody at this forum.

And they are both domestic.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why is going 35 worse than going 30? That confuses me...

Anyway, I drive a 1991 Buick Centuary wagon, with the nice fake wood on the sides. [Cool] It's name is Clunker, and the liscence plates say that too. [Cool] [Cool] The back is also completely covered in bumperstickers.

I rock

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why is going 35 worse than going 30?
It looks to me like that curve is based on a composite of data from various cars and driving conditions. I suspect the ups and downs in the curve depend on gear shift points, and speed limits.

I drive a 2001 Toyota Prius, we also have a 1997 Chevy Lumina, a 1990 Toyota Corolla, and the antichrist: A 1983 chevy 3/4 ton pickup. (since I only drive it about 300 miles a year, we actually probably pay over a dollar a mile in insurance)

Question for Bokonon: Do you use a readout to tell you your gas mileage? Or do you actually do the calculation?

I find that the Prius does a lousy job of telling me what kind of mileage I'm getting. It's been off by ~3 mpg in either direction.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I have the best gas mileage (and the lowest cost per mile) of all y'all. [Razz] [Cool] [Razz]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
signal
Member # 6828

- posted      Profile for signal   Email signal         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Cashew, what engine do you have in your Silvia, the SR20DET? I love the Silvias and 180s.

About the speeding thing, a mechanical engineer friend of mine told me that it had to do with aerodynamics and wind resistance. When driving above 60mph, the engine starts fighting wind resistance. If you look at an acceleration graph, you'll notice that it climbs in the lower gears and then plateaus when you reach the higher gears. Basically the lighter and more aerodynamic the vehicle, the better it is at handling the 60+mph speeds. Think Toyota MR2 versus a school bus.

Along similar lines, having a wing on the back of your car is nothing but dead weight, because unless you're constantly drive above 60mph, it won't give you any downforce. That's why it makes sense on race cars and just looks stupid on street cars. You'll notice cars like the Porsche Carerra and other exotics that have wings that automatically deploy and adjust, don't begin to do so until around 55mph.

Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
'95 Honda Civic EX in burgundy with grey interior... named Lunatic Fringe =)
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I used to have a car named Oedipus.

Icarus
Member # 3162

(Wait for it . . . )
Icarus
Member # 3162

That darn car was a real mother f****r.

J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to drive a 1984 Cadillac Cameron, It was white, with red leather interior, but it was totaled in a wreck (not my fault) so now I'm driving a Blue 1988 Mazda 323. but i put the hood ornament from the Cadillac on it, so i still have the spirit of Ghetti in my car, she just changed bodies...
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
No way, Icky [Razz] .

I get over 100 mpg.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Arguably, I still beat you. [Razz]
mackillian
Member # 586

Icarus just shot up on the list of my favorite people with that bit. [Big Grin] [ROFL]
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
* [Hat] Icarus*
Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

quote:
*giggle*
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I drive a little 1996 Nissan pickup. My wife drives a big, comfortable 1995 Pontiac Bonneville.

I hate to say it, but driving 55 on the freeway is not worth the extra gas mileage. [Wink]

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.