FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Tea (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Tea
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I like tea. Especialy Twinings Earl Grey in the can, lose.
It tastes better that way for some reason.
Though, by British standards I cannot seem to make a proper cup of tea.
Nontheless, it is excellent with a shortbread finger or two.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I like tea. Especialy Twinings Earl Grey in the can, lose.
It tastes better that way for some reason.

Try steeping it in boiling water - it's even better. [Razz]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm... tea... which reminds me that I have to get in to school early enough to get my cup of tea tomorrow before first lesson! Earl Grey is good, but I'm also a big fan of TeaDirect (fair trade tea).
Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I never liked Earl Grey. I was more of an Irish Breakfast tea person, myself.

Or southern sweet tea. mmmmmmmmmm

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
What's that like?
I like English Breakfast as well. Both teas should have just the slightest dollop of milk, no sugar.
These folks say you should add tea to the milk, but I like adding milk to my tea so it gets all cloudy.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a totally different flavor. I guess Earl Grey just tasted funky to me.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
Twinings Irish breakfast is my favorite, too.
Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
The British Empire was built on tea. When you dashed colonials introduced coffee to the lower classes in 1943-45, why, the Empire collapsed a few years later. Personally, I refuse to drink coffee.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a fan of "Belgian Chocolate Rooibos" tea. My sister bought some recently, and it is divine.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Earl Grey is flavored with bergamot, which is bee balm, the pretty red perennials that grow rampantly in gardens. I love the tast of it.

I like tea, but I like it in the afternoon. In the morning, it is coffee all the way. I like it black, or with just milk, or with milk and honey, whereas coffee is one way or the highway: very hot, with half and half.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I like herbal teas, preferably ones with mint in them.

I have an insta-hot (one of the greatest of mankind's kitchen inventions) so I prime my teapot by swishing it with insta-hot water. I dump that water, but the teapot is all nice and warm now. Then I put three teaspoons of tea in my filter and set the filter in the top of the tea pot. Then I fill my teapot by using the insta-hot, poured over the loose tea. I cover it with my tea cozy and set the timer for 4 minutes. It makes a perfect cup every time.

The best tea I've found is from a local tea shop that makes it themselves. Wonderful!

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
we have some gorgeous Earl Grey tea...I can't remember what the brand is though, and I'm too lazy to go check...but it's in these beautiful silk teabags...it's almost a shame to steep them, but it tastes just as good as it looks...*dreamy sigh*

*ponders going and making some*

Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I could never manage to drink coffee like a grownup--it was ALWAYS too bitter, and by the time I'd put in enough milk and sugar, I'd be asked "Do you want some coffee with your sugar?"

*stabs friends*

I once got handed an entire bag of those little half and halfs from dunkins and asked if that'd be enough.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Sri Lanka - formerly Ceylon - grows the best black tea in the world, or so I'm told. I don't drink it, personally, but hubby does.

He drinks it the local way - milk tea. Which means lots of milk and about 4 teaspoons of sugar. Per cup.

I, on the other hand, drink herbal, which is difficult to find here unless I'm willing to go with local plants that I don't recognize. There's only one place I know of where I can get Rosehip & Hibiscus or Mint, and two places that sell Chamomile. That's it, folks.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Jamie, me too. That's why i always go to gas stations and get thier cappuchino that comes out of a machine. Coffee flavored sweetened milk. Perfect.

I've been drinking tea at the barn lately, just cause i get so tired of hot chocolate. As soon as I go to the store i'm getting Chai tea and hot spiced cider mix to leave at the barn. and maybe some good herbal tea.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I like English Breakfast and Constant Comment (Bigelow's orange and spice offering). I greatly dislike the bergamot in Earl Grey, however.

Someday when the kids are older I'll be able to afford and keep intact a good porcelain tea set and start indulging in loose teas. Until then, I'll stick with my Bigelows LOL

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I LOVE that fake cappucino!!!
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Some students drink to much coffee, I drink too much tea. I love it. Tea in the morning, tea at eleven, tea for tea ( [Wink] ) tea at night. I've been drinking it for forever. Tetley's mostly; Orange Pekoe, I was bred on the stuff. I also have grown to love their flavoured orange pekoes: strawberry and blackberry, mmm. I never used to like Earl Grey, now I am a fan.

(Edit: Goody already listed Constant Comment but I'll leave the link)Constant Comment is a specialty black tea that I love. It smells and tastes heavenly.

I bought my mother banana and chocolate black tea for Christmas, and it sounds crazy but I think she's going to love it. I've never tried it, so I have no idea!

However, I am solely a black tea person, with milk, no sugar. None of this herbal stuff [Razz] . I think it's the Britishness in me!

*drinks tea*

[ December 13, 2004, 11:40 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you guys like real tea?

..Jasmine, Oolong, or Dragon Well? [Smile]

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
What is this thing called "real tea"? Tea is a British Invention! [Wink] (kidding kidding!)

Although I've never been a huge fan of un-black teas, and I've never tried any of the teas (at least knowingly) that you listed, I did have green tea of some variety in China town once and it was excellent.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been drinking decaffinated herbal teas, since I can't have coffee (fertility treatments = no caffine). They're all well and good, but I sob when I clean out the coffee pot from Andrew's coffee.

Also, why does caffine make Coke taste delicious?

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

You can't have decaf coffee?
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
At the risk of sounding like a snob (which I'm not, really), I'd like to point out that any drink not made from the tea plant, Camellia sinensis, is not tea. Drinks made from the leaves of other plants, but not including tea leaves, are "herbal drinks".

After all, you wouldn't make a drink out of garbanzos and call it coffee because it's made from beans, would you?

[ December 14, 2004, 12:24 AM: Message edited by: Verily the Younger ]

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
esl, last Christmas my sisters gave something called "Iron Goddess of Mercy Oolong." They bought it for the name, but I really do enjoy the taste of it.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

Yay! Ha, yes, that's a funky name. Right now I'm drinking this Ginseng Root Tea. It's not tea in the strictest sense, herbal tea I guess.

At home I normally have lipton but once in a while we have real tea [Smile] We get to order real tea at restaurants too. My brother and I like to play these games while we're waiting for food. It's a rock paper scissors sorta game, and whoever loses two in a row hasta down a cup of tea. and it's hot! I normally lose [Grumble]

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
And here's where I'm going to throw in a comment that you may not like, esl.

My grandfather used to drink his coffee like that - very hot - and he ended up burning his insides so often that he got cancer and died.

Okay, so I don't know of any evidence that indicates that the one thing led to another, but no one else in the family has ever had cancer, and he drank a lot of really really hot coffee, so that's what everyone assumed.

In other words, it ain't a good idea. You don't know what it could be doing to you. [Eek!]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

lol. Sorry about your grandfather.

I usually just take a couple sips and it's okay because my heat tolerance isn't as high as my brother's. requirement satisfied. He gets a tad annoyed, that's all.

Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
BBC News article about esophageal cancer
quote:
Drinking lots of tea - particularly when piping hot - also seems to increase risk, perhaps because of the burning effect of the liquid as it passes down the food pipe.

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorit tea is "Darjeeling". His taste is strong but what a taste !
I like arabian way of making tea, with leafs of mint (is it the good word ?)

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm totally found of the mariage freres Lotus Royal tea.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
After all, you wouldn't make a drink out of garbanzos and call it coffee because it's made from beans, would you?

<homer simpson>
mmmmm....garbanzo coffee......
</homer simpson>

Seriously? I like green tea. I'm not enough of a connoiseur to know any specifics about it...I just know I like the way it tastes, completely plain. I also buy the Celestial Seasonings flavors, of which I like Honey Lemon Ginseng the best, I think.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traveler
Member # 3615

- posted      Profile for Traveler           Edit/Delete Post 
I think I have about 30 teas in the house. I'm particularly fond of green teas - though, I do love Earl Grey.

Sometimes when I'm asked by Claire (my fiance) if I want any tea I get geeky and say, "Tea, Earl Grey, Hot".

Posts: 512 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh]

I love it! Do you also do the little shirt-tug thing?

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a tea lover too, from linden, mint, camomile or apple-cinnamon to stronger teas, like Irish Breakfast, English Breakfast, Earl Grey, etc. There's a "Green Tea with mint" from a French company that I find absolutely perfect! I've also had the chance to drink Arabic tea on a trip in Turkey and another time from a Tunisian friend of mine, and it's excellent. I once drank Japanese tea: they served some sweets before it and then you drink what looks like some green slime, but is actually quite delicious. [Smile]

One thing I DON'T like is that I don't have enough words to describes a specific flavor... When talking about visual or audio stuff there're a lots of adjectives one can use, but just try to talk about smells and tastes and you're in trouble... [Grumble]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

That might be a deficiency in the English language. I'd be interested to learn about a language that has more smell and taste adjectives than we do.

English tea's aren't bad. I'm just very unaccustomed to putting milk and sugar in it.

There's this bitter tea that I've tried a couple times at tour group tea stops. We had one cup of tea and one cup of hot water after it. The tea's taste was such that the water was actually sweet after drinking it. Twas very neat.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
The tea/herbal tea issue resolved:

http://www.inpursuitoftea.com/faq.htm

quote:
What is true tea?
Tea is the dried leaf of the Camellia sinensis plant. Indigenous to both China and India, the plant is now grown in many countries around the world. Teas that do not contain flavorings or additives, we call ‘true’ teas.

What is herbal tea?
Herbal tea is not actually tea, but rather an herb or a mix of herbs. Only in the United States are these herbal mixtures called tea. They are usually referred to as an infusion or tisane in other parts of the world.

What is medicinal tea?
Medicinal teas are tisanes made from specific herbs, flowers and extracts that may be beneficial. A wide variety are available – some have significant scientific backing to their claims, others do not. True teas have been widely studied for their health benefits. Green tea contains polyphenols, researched for their antioxidant and other healthy properties.

What is the difference between Green and Black tea?
Both green and black tea come from the Camellia sinensis plant. The difference is in the amount of time that the picked leaves are allowed to oxidize. Green teas are minimally oxidized, whereas Black teas are fully oxidized.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

esl, well, me not being English/American/etc. I wasn't really talking about the English language. [Smile] I have the same problems in Romanian. Basically, I can say if it's bitter, sweet, a couple of other things if I strain my mind, but have no idea how to express the difference between English and Irish Breakfast, for example.

As for your "bitter tea" experience, the opposite happened with my Japanese tea tasting: after eating the sweets the taste still lingered while I was drinking a totally unsweetened tea.

What I usually do when I drink a bitter tea is take some sweets along - not before. Honey, chocolate, biscuits, anything will do. I really enjoy the bitter/sweet combination. Hmm, maybe that's why "Bittersweet symphony" is one of my favorite songs?! Ok, I'll stop now! [Big Grin]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

You'd probably like this song called bittersweet featuring Ville Valo and Lauri...
It's by a group with a hard to spell name.

RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

- posted      Profile for RackhamsRazor   Email RackhamsRazor         Edit/Delete Post 
mmm...I like the breakfast teas. Namely, English Breakfast, Irish Breakfast and Ceylon Breakfast. I like to put a little honey in mine- makes it sweet.
Posts: 306 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

A couple of days ago I bought a Lipton Russian Earl Grey, and it's much more aromatic then the "usual" Earl Grey-s. And it's good. [deep voice] It's goooood. [Wink] [/deep voice]
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Stash tea all the way. [Smile] They have sampler boxes that are great if you do tea bags.

Matte latte is a favorite of mine -- tastes kind of like cocoa

Ginger peach -- from that tea company you can get at Borders (Republic of Tea?)

Green tea is so flavorful and light -- very relaxing. Chammomile and/or Sleepytime tea is also a favorite.

I'm just now getting back into tea after losing all taste for it while pregnant. I also only like my tea lightly steeped and mostly drink it "black" -- no sugar and only occasionally milk.

Chai, now, that's another story. Mmmm!

And Indian "butter" tea with pepper.

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
[British Accent]
Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
[/British Accent]

Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ctm
Member # 6525

- posted      Profile for ctm   Email ctm         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmmm...tea! Twinings Ceylon breakfast tea is my current favorite. I also like their Prince of Wales tea. I loved Stash's organic breakfast blend but can't find it anymore. I bought Stash's Irish breakfast tea but like Twining's Irish Breakfast better. Darjeeling is good too. I guess I like almost any tea, but I'm not too fond of earl Grey, don't like that bergamot.
Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, for years I thought that Picard was saying "Tea. L-Grade. Hot".
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

I, OTOH, promptly went out and bought a box. Very nice flavor.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmmm. Tea. I think I'm going to make some tea. Right now. Before bed.

Coffee is awesome, too. I like spiced coffee.Cinnimon, ginger, cayane pepper, that kind of thing. Coffee isn't for everyone, and it wasn't until I started drinking it out of necessity that I actually started enjoying it.

I still wonder if I'm actually enjoying it, or just pretend I'm enjoying it. By all objective accounts, it's a vile black substance that contains a most-sinster stimulant. [Razz]

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to make some Chai. And if that's not enough to satisfy me, some Earl Grey will follow.

(I like it because I'm a Picard junkie mostly.)

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

+The Twinings homepage has good deals on their tea.
But, even better t han tea is homemade hot chocolate.

Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Nato, weren't you the one who told me that you play the trombone because Riker did? *bows to Nato's ultra-geekyness*
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
You know who has the best tea? Peet's. Peet's Irish Breakfast used to be my absolute favorite. Ten Ren has some pretty good teas, too, for bag teas.

I miss tea. [Frown] My grandma is from England, and taught me to appreciate (and make) a proper cup of tea. It's the one thing I still long for sometimes since becoming LDS.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.