FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Tea (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Tea
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried Twining's Chai recently at a friend's house, and it's a pretty good approximation to what I think of as the real thing (i.e. the way my grandma makes it). There are lots of variations on Chai that I don't like, but the Twining's one is pretty good, so I might buy that. Does anyone know if Twining's has gone fair trade yet? I'd hesitate to buy it if not.
Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
It's tea time again! [Smile]

"New" teas that I like:

-White Tea from Lipton: not at all in the same strength class as the Earl Greys, much more delicate, also contains apricot flavoring
-Twinings Lady Grey: has almost the same ingredients as Lipton's Russian Earl Grey - bergamot and citrus (?; "agrume" in French) - but adds lemon and orange flavors and what comes out is a totally different taste; not that I'm complaining [Smile]
-Twinings Brazilian Baļa: tea leafs, cocoa, vanilla and coconut. Really strange taste, I've just had my first cup and I think I like it...

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Have any of you ever tried white tea or red tea? They are completely different. Red tea is made from the bark of a tree, and white tea is a specialty made from only one kind of plant that blooms for a very short time. I don't have time to post a link, but I will when I get back. White is is supposed to have the most caffeine of any tea. It's potent, let me tell you.

I personally prefer Orange Pekoe, or English Breaksfast. I've never been a huge fan of green tea though.

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I've discovered, from Fahim's family, that I evidently don't add enough milk and sugar to the tea I make for them. Four teaspoons of sugar and 1/4 cup of milk...

So. I think I'll start filling the teacup only half full of tea and the rest will be, well, the rest. [Razz]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone on the first page said that the bergamot in Earl Grey was an herb. While there is an herb called bergamot, it acquired that name because it smells like real bergamot, which is a citrus. Earl Grey tea contains real bergamot oil, although the cheap brands use other citrus instead. My favorite Earl Grey is organic from Stash. My favorite Earl Grey variation is Earl Grey Lavender Tea by Revolution (bought at CostPlus World Market).

I also really like Harney and Sons tea, although I've only tried one of them: Chinese Flower Green Tea. They're really expensive, though.

I'm a tea snob, as is probably obvious. Liptons, Twinings, and Celestial Seasonings have no place in my house. Well, I'll occassionally use plain Liptons to make a gallon of sun tea, but I hardly think of that as tea. More like "slightly caffeinated flavored water."

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
Its not tea, but Yerba Mate is great stuff. I enjoy it cold as Terere. (That needs some accent marks to look right. But I'm technologicly challanged and can't do them.)

Have any of you tea people ever tried Terere?

Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silent E
Member # 8840

- posted      Profile for Silent E   Email Silent E         Edit/Delete Post 
The article quoted earlier in the thread was wrong -- the U.S. isn't the only place where infusions are referred to as "tea". In Central America, herbal infusions are very popular, and are universally called "tea": cinnamon tea, lemon tea, lemongrass tea, and several others.
Posts: 202 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aretee
Member # 1743

- posted      Profile for aretee   Email aretee         Edit/Delete Post 
Elizabeth! Thank you so much! As a LDS I never knew if I could drink Green Tea or not. We can drink herbal teas and your post has cleared up that mystery. THANKS!

Edit: Stupid typos never cease with me.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oolung
Member # 8995

- posted      Profile for oolung   Email oolung         Edit/Delete Post 
anyone here likes pu er? Needs some accustoming (you can start from flavoured pu er), but nothing slakes thirst better.

no 2 : japan genmaicha. it's green tea with rice, very delicate.

no 3: yerba mate. I know it's not really tea, but who cares.

Apart from that: Earl Grey and chai for cold days [Smile]

Posts: 218 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Hot chai with milk, no sugar.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Every day I brew at least a 1.5 litres of tea, and carry it in a nalgene bottle. Always green tea. I like japanese looseleaf varieties for their flavor and delicateness, but I also like black teas, like vanilla black. Plus earl grey or mint teas are excellent, and red vanilla flavored teas are good too.

Proper way to make your tea according to Douglas Adams (Englishman Extraordinare)

1. Boil a kettle of Water
2. Put boiling water in the pot for a moment
3. throw that out, and bring the kettle back to boil (this warms the pot and ensures tea strength)
4. choose your tea, and put just enough in the pot, then add a little more than that
5. Take the boiling water and pour it as fast as humanly possible into the pot and close it.
6. Wait
7. If you want milk, put it into the cup FIRST. This is the opposite of the "proper" way, but the "proper way scalds the milk.
8. Pour tea and drink, repeat until you run screaming for a bathroom.

I can attest that my time in England taught me a vast appreciation of a proper cup of tea. I recommend the small and comfy little Brahma Tea Museum near the globe theatre for an excellent cup of any tea imaginable. I can say that the American stereotype of tepid weak teas can be applied to many peoples. I also spent a summer in Catalonia, where the prefered method of making tea was to microwave a cup of water (DEAR GOD IN HEAVEN WHY?) and then put in one tea-bag, and three tablespoons of white sugar (even in green teas). The result: horrible.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Corwin:
esl, well, me not being English/American/etc. I wasn't really talking about the English language. [Smile] I have the same problems in Romanian. Basically, I can say if it's bitter, sweet, a couple of other things if I strain my mind, but have no idea how to express the difference between English and Irish Breakfast, for example.

The English seem to prefer not to talk DIRECTLY about flavors in tea like Americans do. Americans invent silly official scientific sounding taste adjectives and jargon like top note, hint, breath, overtone, undertone, sustain, afterwash, afterbreath, etc and its ridiculous. (Read "Fastfood Nation" for more on flavor)

The English though, will more likely tell you how the tea relates to a feeling, a mood, weather, geography, art or music, something analogous but not like tea. In fact Douglas Adams played on this subject in "Hitchikers Guide" by saying that the food maker on the Heart of Gold made "a substance, almost but not quite entirely unlike tea"

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Current favourite is a green tea and jasmine blend from the local teashop. Simply heavenly.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
As long as it's not in a tea bag, I like it.

I went mad for vanilla tea a couple of years back, but I think I'm slowly getting over it.

And I'm not human 'til I've had my mug of English Breakfast in the morning. I also like Lady Grey, but that's for afternoons.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I just had a cup of Tazo Zen Green Tea and Herbal Infusion (vile brew!). Here's what it says on the back of the package:

High in the Kunlun Mountains of China, monks spend days chanting and meditating in hopes of reaching complete enlightenment. Periodically they stop for a cup of tea quite like this.

Sounds ghastly, doesn't it.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.