FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Things That Are Part of the General Hatrack Consciousness (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Things That Are Part of the General Hatrack Consciousness
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I have read HHGTTG, and I thought it was horrible. Not bad, but one of the worst things I have ever read, and a total complete waste of my time.

I had to try to read it 4 times before I got through it, and I only did it because my friends LOVED it.....and I read so fast that the whole damn thing took less thatn 2 hours to read. Probably less than 1 1/2 hours.

It was so bad that it couldn't hold my attention for that long.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
[Angst]

Kwea, I was happy not knowing people that thought like that existed.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I was introduced to HHGTTG through the radio program so all the voices were already there [Big Grin] . When I read the books it was pleasing to have a few changes.

And Bok, is that arrow pointing to my post and if so, why?

[ December 19, 2004, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I was pleasantly surprised to make a small Scarlet Pimpernel reference in a totally unrelated thread to have someone answer it with the "They seek him here" poem.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Well sm it wasn't me so there's at least three people here who've read that book/series.

I was watching an episode of Stargate Sg-1 yesterday, which I occaisionally dive into not and again when Star Trek isn't on, and there was this fabulous line which I'm going to put here because although you've all probably seen it many times before I think I'll explode if I don't:

"Hammond is insisting SG-1 needs a socio-political nerd to off-set our overwhelming coolness."

Best. Line. Ever.

[ December 19, 2004, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey look, Teshi! We're practically tied in post count, and we registered in the same month! *hugs for the anti post-whore* [Wink]

Edit: I *love* SG1!! Anything O'Neill says is an instant one-liner:

quote:
You ended that sentence with a preposition. You bastard.
Edit again: to correct my anti post-whore.

[ December 19, 2004, 07:54 PM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

[Big Grin]

*extra post to bring closer to being the same and to acknowledge sm and my same-ness*

[Big Grin]

EDIT: Is that an anti-post whore or an anti post-whore because if it's the former, what is an anti-post? [Wink]

[ December 19, 2004, 07:47 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

it's kinda like anti-matter, only green and the consistency of jello.
Teshi
Member # 5024

Ah.

But... does it taste like jello?

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

oh, yes.
Teshi
Member # 5024

So... it's basically green jello.

...right? [Wink]

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

was there any doubt? [Smile]
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
It was me who responded with Scarlet Pimpernel. Because I love all versions of the movie and the book.

And yep, O'Neill's hilarious. *pouts* But they're on hiatus and aren't back until when? [Cry] I need my Stargate!

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Edit: I *love* SG1!! Anything O'Neill says is an instant one-liner:

"We came here in peace, and we expect to go in one...piece."
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Lose it. It means, go crazy. Nuts. Bonzo. No longer in possession of one's faculties - three fries short of a happy meal - WACKO!!
Yes, O'Neill has the most amazing one-liners ever. I could probably fill up a thread with my favorite quotes.

I suspect that most of the very popular SF is in the Hatrack consiousness--Star Wars, Trek, and Gate; Terminator; Babylon 5; Farscape; Hitchhiker's Guide; most people have read at least some of Asimov, Clarke, or Heinlein.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You know me, I'm a huge fan of subtlety, but that's downright encrypted.
[Smile]
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I will not watch Stargate. It's like Star Trek without the ship. What's the point!? [Dont Know]

I adore Star Trek, Star Wars, and I liked Andromeda alright until it "Jumped the Shark" as my friend likes to say.

For more Hatrack givens, how about a knowledge of bi-monthly laptop threads? They always boil down to either "Buy an IBM notebook" or "Buy a nice Apple iBook", with few options in between.

I've gotten through chunks of the Dune-universe books, I haven't read much Lord of the Rings stuff, nor have I read HHGTTG. LotR is just inexcusable, but I'd rather read O'Reilly's "Learning Perl" first. I read part of HHGTTG, and wasn't impressed.

I married an axe murderer?

What about at least one Cohen Brothers movie? O'Brother, or Fargo?

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Book, you would know what a dingle was if you ever clicked on my threads. [Razz]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Women
Member # 7143

- posted      Profile for King of Women           Edit/Delete Post 
oh, and Monkey Island! OSC wrote stuff for that, and it's friggin' halarious. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Richard and Michael are two very nice reasons to watch Stargate. Yup. And Yum even. [Big Grin]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but that doesen't help, since I'm a heterosexual male and the show is sadly lacking in females that I happen to be attracted to. Therefore, I can only go on good plotlines and cool scifi stuff, both of which I feel are somewhat lacking, especially compared to Star Trek.

Does nobody read Penny Arcade? More people should read slashdot.

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
This is really going to scandalize a few people:

1. Hitchhiker's Guide
Nope never read it, however I am aware of the most frequently mentioned lines.
2. Princess Bride (the movie)
Yes
3. So I Married an Axe Murderer
Not even a clue. It's a movie?

4. At least one book by OSC, usually but not always being Ender's Game.
Yep

5. Calvin and Hobbes
Aware of it, read some of it. Enjoy occasionally but not a rabid fanatic.
6. Strongbad
Seen one episode. Like Hitchikers Guide, aware of references to Strongbad but not familiar with the subject directly.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen "So I Married an Axe Murderer", but I had no idea it was part of Hatrack. I don't remember it ever being mentioned other than in passing much like many other movies.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Joss Whedon, Studio Ghibli, and Chris Bridges' column.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
What about Josh Groban? Remember the thread where Jon Boy went and burninated the Grobanites on their own forum? [Big Grin]

That was classic.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
General Hatrack Consciousness
Member # 7141

- posted      Profile for General Hatrack Consciousness   Email General Hatrack Consciousness         Edit/Delete Post 
Strong Bad is not a part of General Hatrack Consciousness. Neither is So I Married An Axe Murderer.

I have spoken.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Id venture to guess that the pun is an integral part of the Hatrack Consciousness. Ego, the high probability of any thread turning into a battle of wits.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
You're making that up, you big freud!
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Strong Bad is not a part of General Hatrack Consciousness. Neither is So I Married An Axe Murderer."

No, Strong Bad is. However, "So I Married an Axe Murderer" is not.

In fact, the only movies that I consider part of Hatrack Consciousness are LotR, The Princess Bride, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Matrix, Labyrinth, The Holy Grail, and Star Wars; I assume all Hatrackers have seen these films, but would preface any discussion of any other films with "for those of you who've seen this...."

[ December 20, 2004, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
"All they ever found were some bones,
And occasional pieces of skin."

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about Strongbad. I'm not a fan, though I understand the references. Though having it be part of the GHC doesn't mean we all have to like it... just recognize it.

The rest of the initial list is a yes, as are Lord of the Rings, Monty Python, Dune, Harry Potter, the Eye of Argon, Original Potry, Dobies, onanism, memes, the legendary 'Rackers list... and what Tom just said.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone for pointing out the gaps in my reading list. Rest assured that I will be making a trip to the library.

Jonathan, I just got a CD with that song on it for Christmas!

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Who has a link to the MST3K of Eye of Argon? I lost my copy when I got rid of my laptop.

That has to be the funniest thing I've ever read.

Edit: Never mind. Google first, ask second Belle.

http://www.bmsc.washington.edu/people/merritt/books/Eye_of_Argon.html

[ December 21, 2004, 12:56 AM: Message edited by: Belle ]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I had never heard of the Eye of Argon before tonight. I started reading it - too funny and I don't have time right now to finish (must get some sleep tonight). I've heard of many but not all of the things mentioned - some of which I learned about here, like homestarrunner.com.

And, Stargate starts with new episodes on Jan. 21.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Teshi, that arrow was to the post above yours... You snuck in while I was writing [Smile]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

[Laugh]
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I like this thread, Noemon...

Like others have said above -- I will agree that most here are familiar with the list you have in post #1, but that doesn't mean they all have to like it.

Personally, I don't like Strongbad -- although I have see clips of Strongbad many times.

Unfortunately, I have to admit to not YET having seen Princess Bride..

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

I watched Stargate again last night.

It's official. It's now a show I list among my "I like this" list. Although realism is a little weak but then all the shows I watch have a distinct lack of realism. [Smile]

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
If muppet is an anti-post whore, I bet that if she and I were in the same room we would destroy each other and let off huge amounts of energy.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Yes, you can let fly at each other with green jello. Or at least she can hurl it at you.
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Jello wrestling?? [Eek!]
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Apparantly, anti-posts are green, look like jello and taste like jello. (i.e. are jello)

I bet they make good ammo, too.

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
[quote]Apparantly, anti-posts are green, look like jello and taste like jello. (i.e. are jello)[quote]

Hello, Jello. Green Jello.
Green Jello! Green Jello!
Jell for the future. Jell for the future. Jell for the future. Jell for your future.
And scream ''Green!''
Green Jello sucks!

-- the band formerly known as Green Jello

oh wait, I'm in the wrong thread LOL

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

But because I'm color blind, I see anti-posts as orange. [ROFL]
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
Da_Goat

quote:
I'm familiar with everybody on LadyDove's list but Bonduca. Who's that?
She was funny, but NOTHING compared to Ralphie!
Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
[Blushing]

Until I just read this thread, I thought StrongBad was some alternative rock band... I'm still not sure exactly what it is... but I guess it's not a band, huh?

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
StrongBad
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Christine, people are going to think you're on my payroll. [Razz]
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the word you're looking for there is "realize" Ralphie.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think Ladydove knows how to sound any less complimentary.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.