FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Things That Are Part of the General Hatrack Consciousness (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Things That Are Part of the General Hatrack Consciousness
dragonfoss
Member # 7155

- posted      Profile for dragonfoss   Email dragonfoss         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very young and don't know all these titles, but I think everyone has heard of Seinfeld
Posts: 29 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
You see, this is the reason they wouldn't let me into the CIA.
Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I am just bumping this thread to announce to all of Hatrack that I finally, after much delay, official watched The Princess Bride for the first time last night!

I was [ROFL]

Now there is SO much said on Hatrack that I didn't before understand was related to the movie! I get it now! What a great cult flick. I have it rented for a week, so I'm going to go back and play it again to catch any of the comments during the sword fight that I may have missed.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

- posted      Profile for babager   Email babager         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok I posted on page one that I have never read HHGTTG. So I got it for Christmas, actually I got The Ultimate Hitchhikers Guide which contains the 5 books in the series. I can not get through the first book. I can't stand it. It's really short and I only have like 40 pages left but I just can't make myself trudge through it. [Dont Know]

[ January 02, 2005, 10:52 AM: Message edited by: babager ]

Posts: 295 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I'd better start making a list while I read this thread of things I general lack a clue about. Hoping someone has already added Groundhog Day. You don't have to be religious about it like I am, but you can't be my mother in law who totally didn't get it.

quote:
"The Dark Tower Series", "Lord of the Rings","Song of Ice and Fire", The Bible and Neil Gaiman's stuff.
I've recommended the "Outlander"

Okay, I am into the Bible, and 2/3 LOTR. TNNITO. [Wink] [Wink]

Harry Potter... must...resist...reeducation. But if I ever do read it, it will be Porter's fault. I can sympathize with those who don't get StrongBad because I don't get Harry Potter.

Dingles? [Dont Know] I'm with Book on that one, thanks to a guy in my Latin class who enhanced a picture I had drawn of a Centaur.

P.S. Oh crud, clicked the wrong button.

quote:
Strange Brew, Office Space, Napoleon Dynamite, They Might Be Giants
I think these are good. Though I haven't seen Napoleon yet, I will within the week. I'm sure office space is cool, but unfortunately I read that Entertainment week about movies that should have cult followings but don't.

Any and all Coen brothers movies.

[Hail] Bokies.

(((Kwea))) [Cry] Another confession- I always fall asleep during the knights who say Ni. Could be due to the fact that people never put the stupid movie in until 1 a.m. and I contend it just isn't funny prior to that hour. But I enjoy quoting the lines with the boys.

Being a Semitic Linguist, I am honorbound to oppose Stargate and all its bastard children.

I'm also anti- Babylon 5

quote:
Joss Whedon, Studio Ghibli
Okay, I contend that this is pure flaunting of obscurity. Maybe from before my time, which technically began mar 2003.

quote:
LotR, The Princess Bride, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Matrix, Labyrinth, The Holy Grail, and Star Wars; I assume all Hatrackers have seen these films, but would preface any discussion of any other films with "for those of you who've seen this...."

While this list has some serious omissions, I will endorse it because he left out Harry Potter. [Evil]

quote:
Unfortunately, I have to admit to not YET having seen Princess Bride..

FG

[Eek!] I have a new mission in life.
quote:
I'm very young and don't know all these titles, but I think everyone has heard of Seinfeld
Yeah, I think the idea is something that is uniquely definitive of Hatrack. There are too many Hatrackers who view all network TV with scorn for a top rated TV show to be part of the HGC. Though many will confess that they secretly revel in some reality TV show or another. Also, whining about how good some show that noone watches is HGC.

[ January 02, 2005, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: Trisha the Severe Hottie ]

Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
My reply to you is the same as my reply to Book.

[Razz]

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
Myer's Briggs personality tests.

I guess one aspect of Seinfeld that you will find at Hatrack is quotes by George's father. Or clever seemingly witty interpolations of more popular lines. "No Grammar for you!"

I guess the thing about Hatrack is not that you fit in, but that no one here totally fits in.

Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Okay, I contend that this is pure flaunting of obscurity. Maybe from before my time, which technically began mar 2003."

Joss Whedon is not obscure. [Smile] Studio Ghibli may be, if you're not a fanboy/girl, or if you avoid threads started by xnera. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I've known Joss Wheadon's name for a long time, although I've only in the last 6 months become familiar with his work. Studio Ghibli I've never heard of.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

And Strange Brew? I'm familiar with it--thought it was hilarious when I was a kid--but it's pretty uncommon to see references to it here, unless I've just been oblivious to them.

As for Dingle, my lackluster hatrack search abilities aren't turning up the original thread. Could anybody provide a link to it?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
The Dingle Thread
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Studio Ghibli is the animation studio that produces, among other things, the films of Hayao Miyazaki. Perhaps you've heard his name before. He is the brilliant animator behind My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Princess Mononoke, and Spirited Away. He's done other films, of course, but those are the ones that people who aren't anime enthusiasts are most likely to be familiar with.

I don't have the slightest idea who Joss Whedon is.

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Joss Whedon = main force behind Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, and Firefly.
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Thanks Dana!

Verily, sure, I'm familiar with Miyazaki. Hadn't heard (or, much more likely, remembered hearing) the name of his studio.

I can't recommend Firefly highly enough, by the way. It's amazingly well done Character driven SF. It went off the air after less than a season, but you can rent or buy the DVD set of the 14 or so episodes that were filmed.

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Now I know Studio Ghibli, too. Prior to this, I only was familiar with the movies.

"Dingle" has cropped up several times here. As have references to "The Joys of a Freshly Shaved Scrotum."

[ January 02, 2005, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Dingle? You mean Officer Dingle of the Reno Police Department?
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

Same referent, different context. [Wink]
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I had forgotten about the Eye of Argon until now... and I'm so glad someone linked it.

[ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.