FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Who poisoned the well at Hatrack? (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Who poisoned the well at Hatrack?
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Really? You don't think so?

I think you should have a piece before you say that. *cuts slice and hands over to Iccy* Notice the rich, fudge frosting, and the melted chocolate chips in the cake. Mmm, it's so gooey!

Anyone else want a piece? *slices the rest of the cake and offers*

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
The wonderful thing about virtual cake is that it's generally kosher. [Wink]

*accepts piece*

*munches*

Yum! [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
What about virtual pork cake?
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
That's kosher too, believe it or not!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Yeah, really not necessary, but I wanted to point out to the few people that care that Baldar seemed to me to have a need to see himself as honorable, which is a very different thing from actually being honorable. From what I've seen, this distinction, though very important, is often not well understood.
And that, Squick, is a very good point.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
David here. You may've noticed me from time to time, easing back slowly into the forum. I needed to be away for a time, but I could never leave this site totally, not after what I learned here, not after what you helped me get through (often without knowing it).

Taking a vitriolic, over-the-top 'comer and turning him around is always going to be touch and go. First off, he needs to be handled in a way that is less likely to exacerbate his natural tendency to explode into bilingsgate and so forth. Show him you're above that sort of nonsense. Calmly point out to him why his chosen form of of expression is detrimental to the community. Show him examples of good, useful disagreements and dialectic. Try to engage him in some.

But, guys, at the end of the day HE is the one who needs to change. And only he can do what needs to be done. All you can do is hope that, as with what happened to me, he will wake up one morning, log on, and realize what incredible opportunities he's missing out on by being a total schmuck.

One thing that might edge him in the right direction is one-on-one conversation with the "elders" of the group, like aka and Slash (yeah, that's the voice of experience you hear).

Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

So David, why did a talk with The Elders work for you, do you think?
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno. I guess because I saw clearly that it wasn't an attempt at grand-standing on their part: they weren't trying to look important or open-minded in front of others, but were rather genuinely concerned 1) about my hurting their friends and 2) about my own inability to fit in. The second was really compelling in that they WANTED to have me as a fellow hatracker, and they were willing to work with me so that I might better integrate myself.
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
It was the snazzy suit and ties, I bet.

[Big Grin]

Or the flip chart on prayer! I love that one.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

Well, I wasn't talking about the coversation with you and Patrick, Scott— that was just... scary.
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Is David becoming a Mormon? [Eek!]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
In another three-and-a-half months or so, maybe.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering why this thread was so long. Now I see--it was the discussion about men/women/bravery. [Big Grin]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget the double fudge chocolate cake! [ROFL]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What about virtual pork cake?
Hence, "generally." Although I have to ask, do you frequently, um, enhance your cakes with chunks of meat?

quote:
That's kosher too, believe it or not!
Actually, it's virtually kosher. As in almost. And mostly kosher is entirely treif. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Good to see you back, David. I use to see you around once and a while when I first joined.

Good to see you didn't leave for good.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, David, it's great to see you back! I will never forget the spanish slang phrases thread (where else could I ever learn how to say "You are on crack, Dude!" in Mexican, Central American, and Spaniard Spanish?) and the hilarious April Fools thread about your conversion. I took that one hook line and sinker! <laughs> Then when I realized what day it was I laughed for the whole week! (I still think it just felt RIGHT, you know? Are you positive you haven't started investigating the church yet? Please promise you'll invite me to your baptism if and when the day ever arrives.) [Smile]

Anyway, as has been proven multiple times, the most abrasive newcomers can become the very most interesting and productive members of the board once they settle in and lose some of their prickles. It's always the best outcome, when people can learn and change like that. Unfortunately, not everyone is willing to do that.

The coolest thing about hatrack is that if Jar Head changes his mind and comes back and tries to change, I know everyone will be glad to see him, and will be friendly and cut him yards of slack while he's learning. Just a willingness to try to do better goes a long long way. I hope he will do that someday.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

And that was the point we were trying to get across to Jar Head - that if he were to be a tad more polite, we wouldn't mind him. He just didn't get it. It's sad. But yes, if he does come back and does try to behave better, I would have no problem with him. Bean Counter too, for that matter. But it's their choice, not ours.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah...I was wishy-washy to him, because I left room for the idea that he might actually want to change one day and try at least a little to be civil. I didn't mind him disagreeing with me. As a matter of fact I used him as a weather vane of sorts...if I agreed with anything he said I know I was way off base...... [Big Grin]

Lots of people here have differing opinions from me, but I get along with most of them. Often I would rather talk to them about an issue or a problem because they are more likely to come at it from a different angle than I would, and a lot of times I learned something just by discussing an issue with Icarus, or Dag, or Tom.

Even with Xap, once and a while, although if he realized it at the time I am sure he would have tried to stop it somehow.... [Wink]

Who wants to talk to themselves 24/7? Because that is what you would be doing if everyone always agreed with you about everything...Greek choruses suck, even on stage, so why debate with one?

Kwea [Smile]

[ December 22, 2004, 01:49 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And that was the point we were trying to get across to Jar Head - that if he were to be a tad more polite, we wouldn't mind him. He just didn't get it. It's sad. But yes, if he does come back and does try to behave better, I would have no problem with him. Bean Counter too, for that matter. But it's their choice, not ours.
Absolutely. I was glad to see Jar Head leave, because he was an ass. But if he suddenly realized one day that what he was doing was not cool, and came back here with a little more politeness and respect for others, I'd be glad to have him back. I wouldn't even ask that he apologize for his earlier behavior; simply improving his behavior in the future would suffice.

And I admit, my snideness in his "Unique Opportunity" thread was probably uncalled for. I don't imagine for a moment that it affected things one way or the other. But still, considering my distaste for him and my utter contempt for the whole voting idea, I probably should have just stayed out of it altogether. That I posted anyway just to speak against him is my own failing. It's something I, too, need to work on.

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

quote:
Greek choruses suck, even on stage
Okay, let's not get crazy here. Step away from the dithyrambs... step aWAY from the orchestra...
Pat
Member # 879

- posted      Profile for Pat   Email Pat         Edit/Delete Post 
How about you step away from the Josh?
Posts: 1800 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

What, no "hello" before you start slandering me? Silly Pat, jokes are for funny people.
Kyle Katarn
Member # 3567

- posted      Profile for Kyle Katarn   Email Kyle Katarn         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say, that Groban link is funnier every time it comes up.
Posts: 85 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
It IS nice to have DB back. I didn't realize that I was capable of missing a virtual person.

Apparently, I am. Was. Whatever.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat
Member # 879

Hey Dave! What's new?
Posts: 1800 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Bean Counter and Jar Head leave, and then David Bowles and Pat return. Coincidence? [Eek!] Hmmm....
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Naw. Slash ate them.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SIash the Berzerker
Member # 3897

- posted      Profile for SIash the Berzerker           Edit/Delete Post 
Did not. *Scatters welcome-back flowers through thread for Pat and Dave*
Posts: 15 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat
Member # 879

Galactic Cactus is boring. I thought I'd wander over here.

What's new around here?

Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I can only think of one person who is still missing.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kyle Katarn
Member # 3567

- posted      Profile for Kyle Katarn   Email Kyle Katarn         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

*avoids landmark*

Posts: 85 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Slash, bonduca and Jeff, lukelmiller, Emily Milner ...

Kayla's posting again. Was worried for awhile. [Smile] Sharpie's made a traditional cameo recently, too.

APerfectGentleman, my friend who I came to know as Jin (started with a "K", ended in "jin"), and the couple who lived with AK and whose names always slip my mind. Who else? There are some nagging at the corner of my thoughts, but I'm blanking.

Not enough celia.

OlavMah (but here not too long ago).

[ December 22, 2004, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry]
[Wave] [Hail] -->for Sara
GreNME said I'd be back. I guess he's that makes him the smartest.

P.S. When did they delete all the member numbers that have zero posts? That totally derailed my plans.

[ December 22, 2004, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: Trisha the Severe Hottie ]

Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, girl! [Smile]

Dean and moonflower, that was the couple I was thinking about. amira tharani? masteroftheobvious. Richard Berg! (But not too long ago)

Brettly.

JohnKeats, but here pretty recently.

[ December 22, 2004, 01:30 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Aren't moonflower and Perfect Gentleman the same person?
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

I'm not sure. [Confused] PG had a "regular name" that I didn't know.

And Pepperuda!

ladyday ... [Frown]

SamuelBush, but not too long ago.

Yebor, the thread-rescuer. [Smile]

Jettboy. Destineer. jehovoid.

And we have Ela [Smile] , but Ele hasn't been around for a good while, AFAIK.

Thor is still around as TSS.

[ December 22, 2004, 01:37 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

advice for robots
Member # 2544

porcelain girl.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

yep.

Is Zalmoxis still around? pH posted a few days ago, I think.

Doug J. Justin Pullen.

Maethoriell! And Fael.

John/Leto II, of course. [Frown]

[ December 22, 2004, 01:42 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

advice for robots
Member # 2544

Zalmoxis was around pretty recently, and I saw a few posts by jehovoid recently, too.

I'd love to see Doug J. back.

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

Me, too. I thought Zalmoxis' name had shown up recently. Glad to know jehovoid's still here.

Saudade has been incommunicado for awhile now, no?

JaneX and Kate Emily.

[ December 22, 2004, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
Has PSI Teleport been posting much?
Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

PSI has definitely been around. Lively and kicking as ever. *grin

Maybe the bra thread?

MyrrdinFyre. Emperor Palpatine (unless he changed names).

[ December 22, 2004, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

advice for robots
Member # 2544

PSI has been here pretty recently, I believe.

Interesting and kind of sad how all these names kind of slip out of your consciousness if you don't see them for a while. You don't notice some of them are gone until you look around one day and their familiar faces aren't there.

Just looking at a thread from a year or more ago is an eye-opener about how constantly the active Hatrack population changes.

Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

Oh yeah, I remember she affirmed that DD and E are the same. So, in the pattern of Hatrack, did that fluff thread drift into complex social issues after a while?
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

Yeah. I'm jogging my memory with the Orginal Potry thread and the landmarks.

It still feels like so many of them are here, but just tucked away around the corner, you know? But so many have moved on.

*sigh

advice for robots
Member # 2544

That Orginal Potry thread is like the History of Hatrack, is it not?

And kudos for spelling it right. [Big Grin]

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

Yes, it did. A good deal of info about what is and is not painful or distressing for sex, both for men and women. Hmmm. A dive into childhood escapades with tadpoles that morphed into Noemon having sex in public (and getting applauded).

*grin

Typical.

[ December 22, 2004, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

May we never lose our Orginal Potry. [Big Grin]

enjeeo and Rakeesh. Not enough of The Rabbit, lately.

[ December 22, 2004, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Pat
Member # 879

Who is this Sara Sasse person?
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.