FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Unique Opportunity (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Unique Opportunity
Jar Head
Member # 7018

- posted      Profile for Jar Head   Email Jar Head         Edit/Delete Post 
With BC gone, soon to be away at his war, and so much open hostility I have a unique proposition to offer you. No Bull, not being dramatic or even upset or anything.

The next 20 posters, no repeats, give thumbs up or thumbs down. Chat about it or whatever. If 11 out of twenty vote thumbs down, I will lose my password which I cannot possibly remember and vanish from your midst.

Non voters do not count, a tie goes to the next vote, the polls are open.

Posts: 117 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I would rather that you stay and learn (or remember) to be respectful of other peoples viewpoints. I don't care that you (or BC) have different opinions, but I hate the fact that you both are insulting to everyone who doesn't share those same opinions. As a matte of fact I LIKE debates....but what he has been doing lately isn't debating it is shouting pthers down and ridiculing them.

And not even doing it intelligently. A four year old with access to the internet could have refuted most of his points when he first came here.

If you can't do that, or don't even want to try, then I vote leave.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jar Head
Member # 7018

It is understood that this is no promise to 'try to fit in and be better', this is a promise that I will not change one whit. No equivocation, vote, don't whine!
Posts: 117 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Not change one whit?

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
If you won't even try to get along and play nicely, then leave. Anger and hostility are not welcome here.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jar Head
Member # 7018

That's two no's and one sort of wimpering 'not if you are going to be like that', that I will take as a spoiled vote until corrected... Keep em coming
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
I liked some of the things you had to say. Because some people can't be honest. Yet continually being an ass about things isn't outweighed by honesty.

If you were to still be yourself, and show that you want to be a part of a community and help build up Hatrack, then stay. Criticism is good when one doesn't go overboard. I Personally don't think you've gone overboard in cases I have had some hand in.

None of this matters though, it is up to you, not us if you stay.

I do like seeing more than one viewpoint to an argument, so for that sake I say stay.

I don't know why you would want a vote, unless you want to torture yourself more than you already appear to able to do by yourself. Being as you have a different viewpoint, and you've made it clear that you have a different viewpoint, people already would be intimidated. This is again pointless, to ask people that you have possibly intimidated, and or offended how you should go about resolving a conflict with them.

I think you should make your own choice, and live by it. Do not make it hastily, take time to consider this, and maybe just take some time off Hatrack if you really are considering this. Stepping away from the box, and gaining new perspective on how to approach it is always a good thing to do, and when done properly always allows one to see thier true self.

[ December 19, 2004, 09:38 PM: Message edited by: raventh1 ]

Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Have a nice life, dearie.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say stay.

I know I annoyed people at terrygoodkind.com when I first joined at 18 years old...and now 7 years later I am an admin, so you never know what can happen over time.

Besides, things are boring if everyone is the same. That being said, even if I do agree with some of your ideas, you really should work on your packaging. It is tough to convince people that you are right when you simply piss them off.

[ December 19, 2004, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: Lupus ]

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
This seems like some grand play on your part to leave as a martyr. Stay or go as YOU wish. Personally I could care less.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jar Head
Member # 7018

You knuckleheads do not seem to understand the meaning of unique opportunity. Let me try to explain...

Nobody is more oppressed and has less freedom in America then a soldier, except perhaps a prisoner in jail, however a soldier (today) chooses to be a soldier and therefore has chosen all that follows.

I have chosen to put this power in your hands, and have relinquished it, my choice. No martyrdom here. I will not be learning to play nice, I will not be more sensetive and I will only count votes that are yea or nea. The votes that include a if this or that are spoiled, there is only one set of boxes to check. There will be no Nixon Speech at the end, get to eleven goes and I am gone.

Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't think of yourself a martyr. Your behavior is that of a spoiled pampered baby. Yes you should stay and learn better. This is a great opportunity for you to learn. You may not get many such in your lifetime. Don't squander this one. This is TRAINING, soldier! Extremely vital training.

But if you refuse to learn and grow, to change one whit, then I will say that if you don't leave on your own, there's a rather large chance that the moderators will eventually invite you to go. And I will back them completely when they do so. So count that vote however you think you should.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Hehe, it seems that for all your venom you cannot even drum up enough interest to be voted out. By the way, you did understand that I was voting you go? I realised after I posted that perhaps I was being a bit subtle for you.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jar Head
Member # 7018

That is three goes, one stay and another "I do not know how to read and follow instructions"
raventh1
Member # 3750

Actually my vote was in the "think for yourself" catagory.
Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

Seriously though, most of us don't even know you, you've been here what maybe a month and a half, and you have around 100 posts. You expect us to know you?
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Why is anyone dignifying this farce by actually voting? He's just trying to prove how hated he is so that when he finally takes his ball and goes home, he can pretend that we kicked him out instead of admitting that he just couldn't hack it here. He's trying to lay the blame for his failure to get along on Hatrack instead of on his own shoulders, and everyone who votes for him to leave is just validating that. Why give him the satisfaction? Just ignore him until he either leaves, gets himself banned, or grows up enough to learn what civil discourse looks like.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jar Head
Member # 7018

The lack of conviction is astonishing, Baaa, baaa, be the one that keeps the Jar Head here or the one that has me go. One of eleven is almost a jury! Is there courage here? Female courage or male?
King of Men
Member # 6684

Verily, you have a point, but still, if he is offering to leave, why not take him up on it? I don't really care if he takes away a feeling of persecuted martyrdom - that only keeps you warm at night for a very limited time. He gets a cheap kick, we get a much nicer board, everybody is happy.
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
I vote you lurk and observe how to give an over the top diffrent opinion without taking heads off. there are lots of them out... some of which are mine...

So, I vote to lurk... if thats not an option stay, you seem intelegent enough taht you'll figure out how to behave with time, I can't say as much for BC...

Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jar Head
Member # 7018

Actually VTY it is I and only I that has responsibility here, I have assumed it, I have deligated it. You are another, 'chooses not to vote,' fairly common in America today, however encouraging others to join you in sloth is bad form. Keep those cards and letters comming!
punwit
Member # 6388

quote:
That is three goes, one stay and another "I do not know how to read and follow instructions"
Hee, Hee, Hee, that actually made me chuckle. I've always been a bit of a non conformist and I'll continue to post as I see fit. Stay or go as you see fit.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
I vote go, because I'm a conservative, I support the war in Iraq, I voted twice for Bush... and your arguments are making my opinions look bad.

[ December 19, 2004, 10:20 PM: Message edited by: Yozhik ]

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jar Head
Member # 7018

Bean Counter is by far the smartest person I have ever met. So smart I shudder to think what he could do if he were not also the sanest. I have said it before and I will say it agian, I am a rock head. I will always be a rock head, you cannot teach a snake to tapdance and I never expect to know anything about most everything. What I know, I know from painful experience.

Twice now I have been accused of attempted Martyrdom, you are absolutly assured that I will not die from the lack of hostile neighbors.

No vote for 'stick around, shut up and try to learn something' count. I will start counting two as one vote to go if this keeps going on.

Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You are another, 'chooses not to vote,' fairly common in America today, however encouraging others to join you in sloth is bad form.
That's very cute. I like the way you're pretending that this has anything to do with real elections. That, and the way you insinuate that my patriotism might not be up to scratch because I refuse to help martyr you.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jar Head
Member # 7018

4 go 1 stay
punwit
Member # 6388

Did anyone watch the Chiefs game today?
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Bean Counter is by far the smartest person I have ever met.
Wow. What limited horizons you have.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jar Head
Member # 7018

martyrs are dead you silly ass, you are at worst voting me off the island. Keep your drama for the ladies. Sound off like you got a pair!
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Dag, that same thought occurred to me. Sad, isn't it?
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jar Head
Member # 7018

You would not believe his IQ, ACT, SAT and ASFAB if I told you. Are you here to vote lawyer, or advocate?
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No vote for 'stick around, shut up and try to learn something' count. I will start counting two as one vote to go if this keeps going on.

I said to stay if i couldn't vote that way.
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I was done with my Christmas shopping, but then I saw that tigerdirect had a sale on USB jumpdrives. So now all the guys in the extended family will have a little something extra in their stockings.

stay

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

Why don't you tell us your agenda, Jar Head? I hate playing games when I don't know the purpose. I will vote once I know why you are doing this, otherwise I'll continue to post nonsense or advise you to decide for yourself.
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Ass, door, way out, all that.

...Then again, this vote will probably mean about as much here as it did in the presidential election, seeing as I don't live in a swing state.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jar Head
Member # 7018

He also snatched a drunk Mexican off me in a parking lot while I was busy with two of his buddies... (I started jabbering at them in Korean because they were jabbering at us in Spanish) my cirle of experience is as big as the world, my circle of friends could set at a table. Because my standards are very high.
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
I've mostly ignored or completely dismissed you as a troll. So, I say, go.

There's enough problems in the world. We don't need you screwing up one of the few communities that is filled with genuinely nice people.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You would not believe his IQ, ACT, SAT and ASFAB if I told you.
That's probably true.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jar Head
Member # 7018

6 to 2 my agenda is exactly as written, I have never been subtle nor have I ever been anything other then what I appear to be. Why would I, I have never been accused of not saying what was on my mind.

[ December 19, 2004, 10:53 PM: Message edited by: Jar Head ]

punwit
Member # 6388

I ask again, why are you intent on manipulating Hatrack to vote you off. Are you incapable of explaining your rationale?
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Stay.

Developing any kind of exclusivity on this forum, whether major or minor is more negative than any single poster could possibly be. I don't even care that you've insulted me personally in previous comments, becase I firmly believe that more discordant voices make for a better discussion. Even if the discussion gets nasty or absurd at times. It's far better than everyone putting forth the same view (or nearly the same view) and ending up without anything to talk about.

My best friend in the world and I can't talk about some things because it raises tensions so much. That's part of why he's my friend. Every once and a while, one of us busts out one of the topics that we can't discuss rationally, and we butt heads for a while. It's nasty and we both get angry, but we both secretly have fun doing it, and we're closer for it.

Keep in mind that the people on the other end are real people, and most interesting discussions have no right answer.

I reiterate: stay.

[ December 19, 2004, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: WheatPuppet ]

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
Jar Head,
I think one thing you fail to realize is that this vote really doesn't matter to most of the people here. Unlike an election, the outcome really doesn't matter in the scheme of things. There is nothing wrong with being apathetic about whether you are a poster or not. It is not a sign of America today, it is a sign of your contribution to the message board. If you decide to start doubling votes, people won't care. If this page just drops off the front page and you forget about it, people won't care.

You insist that you don't have the ability to change. If that is the case, I feel sorry for you. Change is a normal part of growth. As you get older, you learn more about yourself and more about the world. Study military history. What happens to militaries that insist that change is not possible?

If people do vote you out, don't make the mistake of thinking it is because of your beliefs. I am one of the many conservatives on the board and I seriously doubt that people would vote me out. You don't debate, you argue. Even in this post you are acting like a petulant child. Are you the only person on the board that acts like this? Hell no, there are other posters who at times act exactly as you do. At times you seem to feed of each other during arguments. However, that doesn't mean that you should not want to grow.

I voted to keep you here, and I am sticking with my vote. However, don't let that make you believe that I agree with your posting style. I simply hope that this board will help you grow as a person, in spite of your protests to the contrary.

This post is actually much more hostile than what I would usually post. I generally avoid commenting on someone's posting style. However, you are the one that started the thread about your membership on the board, so I felt that it was appropriate to do such. Who knows, maybe it will do some good.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I've had about all the fun I can stand. You can count me as a "thumbs down" vote. I think we all understand why your circle is small.
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jar Head
Member # 7018

Nobody is asking apathetic people to vote...sheesh if you do not care do not vote.

7 to 3

[ December 19, 2004, 10:58 PM: Message edited by: Jar Head ]

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I received a gift from somebody in New Jersey whose name I do not recognize. A rather nice gift, in fact, inpeccably suited to me, and sent directly to my home. I know the real names of any Hatrackers close enough to me to send me such a gift . . . I did not participate in the gift exchange. It could be some distant relation of Cor's, except that we don't recognize the name. It could be a divorced parent of a student or something. I hate to inquire around, because I could feel like a complete cad for not recognizing someone I should recognize. But I also kind of need to know who sent this to me.

Any ideas? [Confused]

Did any of you send me a gift? [Confused]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jar Head
Member # 7018

You Jar Head fans need to wake your friends!
punwit
Member # 6388

Still having problems elucidating your motive for this idiotic game. You wanna go out in a blaze of glory? You want affirmation that somebody loves you? C'mon Jar Head what's in your heart?
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
::Wonders how long it will be before someone will say "I feel your pain."::
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I hadn't heard that much from you - you do only have around 100 posts and most have them have been recently defending/explaining/doing something about yourself - but after seeing these, I feel able to vote.

Get the heck out of here.

Courage enough for you?

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jar Head
Member # 7018

8 to 3
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.