FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Unique Opportunity (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Unique Opportunity
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
*Can't help it*
PANTY-WAIST! [ROFL]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
[conspiracy]

Until he shipped out...

[/conspiracy]

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Dagonee, can I be just like you? [Angst]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't count the number of times I've used that expression and you didn't laugh at it then.

I even toned it down for Hatrack cause that's not how it's supposed to be spelled.

Gerrof my coat tails, Ickinator!

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Leave the postwhore alone, quid... that's not nice.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
I tried, but they're no longer taking my calls. I'm contemplating legal action.
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I cast the very first vote...and was disqualified for allowing for the possibility that he might one day show the same manners we have taught our 5 year old niece to use?

Lil

That is priceless.

quote:
Bean Counter is by far the smartest person I have ever met
Enough said. I would match my scores up with his...I qualified for each and every job in the military due to my ASFAB. It didn't mean anything at all. Most 10th graders can pass that with a high score, and the Sat and ACT and other tests like that were pretty darn easy too. I SUCK at math, and still got a 1350 SAT equivalent score ( I took the ACT).....including a 98% in one category.

It has meant absolutely nothing to me my entire life, and has done me not a whit of good.

Ignorance is far more obvious than idiots think it is, regardless of how well they lie about irrelevant test scores than no one cares about...or at least no one outside of high school does, anyway.

Good riddance, I am sure he was about to be banned anyway.

Kwea

[ December 20, 2004, 02:47 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
He'll be back, you know he will. Anyone who has been on hatrack for over a year and maybe had to take a break for one reason or another has felt her siren call. He'll come back like a pooh bear to the honey pot. It's his drug, his way of life.

It'll start off slow. He'll just pop in to see what everyone said on this thread. Then he'll read a few other threads. Maybe he'll create another account so that he can post in the last post thread (Lord knows the geniuses over there can relate to his Madly McAngsterson attitude). He'll dawdle a bit... then sndrake will post some thread about how awesome hippies are or some newbie will make a comment about how Jesus was actually a communist because their Anthropology teacher said so and he'll come stormin in like Norman Schwarzkopf in his favourite BDUs at the senior discount lunch buffet.

He will. I know it.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
then sndrake will post some thread about how awesome hippies are or some newbie will make a comment about how Jesus was actually a communist because their Anthropology teacher said so and he'll come stormin in like Norman Schwarzkopf in his favourite BDUs at the senior discount lunch buffet.

[ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]

Darn you Primal, you made me spray Pepsi all over myself and my keyboard... luckily it was a light spray cause there wasn't much left in the can.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
If only it was always this easy.

Then again, we'll probably be hearing from his Bean Counter persona sooner or later. Unless I missed something I'm yet to be convinced that they're not one and the same.

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
then sndrake will post some thread about how awesome hippies are
[Confused]

How did I get to be associated with hippies????

Maybe you have me confused with Farmgirl. [Razz]

More likely Space Opera, though. [Smile]

[ December 20, 2004, 07:49 AM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
sndrake! You're anti-hippy? What's the matter with you? [Mad]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Not anti-hippy, really.

They thought that we could all hold hands, love one another, sing "Kumbaya" and it would be enough.

Even as a teenager, that seemed way to simplistic a formula for trying to exert influence or promote change in the world. Good thing MLK had non-hippies to work with. [Smile]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[alternate conspiracy theory] It's also possible the handle Bean Counter got banned, and Jar Head got warned but not banned. Rather than wait to get banned (since he was unwilling to change), he decided to go out with a bang . . . although I think this was more of a whimper. *shrug*

The beauty of this theory is that it works regardless of whether BC and JH are the same person or just IRL friends. [/conspiracy theory]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Hah. I wrote that post all at one go. You were the first person I could think of that was both a cunning debator and had a tendency to be a hatrack warm and fuzzy person. You're like a furry Tom Davidson.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Primal Curve:

[Smile]

Thank you.

*Am furry in IRL, don't know why I look that way on your monitor, though.) [Wink]

[ December 20, 2004, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
[Aughh! Deleted for mininterpretability. [Embarrassed] ]

sndrake is a most handsome and engaging fellow.

[ December 20, 2004, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
O_o sndrake's a furry?
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

[Blushing]

What would Jar Head think of what this thread has become? [Wink]

*Working fast and furriously to get stuff done so Diane and I can hit the road tomorrow*

scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't help but see this thread and wonder what in the world Jar Head is thinking.

I don't think he realizes that there might be other people on the site that are in the military and might know exactly what he is doing. From what I've read of his (I admit, I haven't had the time to read all of it), I honestly can't see what he is ranting about. One comment of his that clearly sticks out is when he said that the American Soldier has less freedom than a prisoner (I know that's not exact).

I too am a member in the military. I'm damn proud of it! I was forced to put another human being in the cross-hairs of my weapon and I was willing to pull the trigger on the behalf of the American Public. I know that my freedoms have been slightly curtailed for the time being, but I accept that. "I don't have freedom, I fight for it!" that is one thing that every Soldier is taught in todays military. If Soldiers had the same rights as everybody else, we wouldn't function, period.

In my case, I haven't really noticed a difference in being in the military vs. civilian life. I can still access the internet and post on sites like this (on my own time, of course). I can eat whenever I want, I can go on a date with my wife in Boise whenever I want. I get 30 days of paid leave every year (find that in the private sector!). I even have free health-care. Basically I'm the same person I was before joining and to say that I have less freedom than a prisoner is absolutely foolish and anal. Jar Head, if you're Active Duty, you're not representing your military heritage the way you should be and if I were your Supervisor I would strongly recommend discharge because you're actions do not meet any standard by which military personnel are graded. Good Day.

-scottneb-

[EDIT] Where oh where did my grammar go?!

[ December 21, 2004, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: scottneb ]

Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
Scott this thread was made for drama.
Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still a little hot.

I shouldn't have posted that, but I mean it. It's talk like his that kills our Soldiers. I've seen fanatisism in person, and it sounds like he's on that side.

Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
*hugs scot neb and baby*
[ROFL] [Laugh] @Icky
Haven't been around much cause I had the flu last week, and have been home-improving on the weekends.

AJ

sndrake, would you be offended if I thought you were a bit like a hobbit? Bob_scopatz is too just a different order of magnitude. Maybe it's the facial hair?
[Smile]
AJ

[ December 20, 2004, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
scott, I'm so glad you posted that! BC and JH both are seriously giving our soldiers a bad name. My cousin is currently serving in Iraq, and every time JH makes some grandiose statement on the way soldiers live and think, I think, "umm...is my cousin in some other country's military or something?"

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm still a little hot.
So Kayla said. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Hey Sara....you're drooling.

Again.

[Big Grin]

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Jar Head was a drama queen. It's as simple as that. This whole thread was made as an excuse to blame us for the fact that he was too uncivilized to get along with real people. I remain thoroughly convinced that there was never more to him than that--he's a juvenile ass who doesn't know how to handle real discourse. The important thing is that he got the eleven votes that he needed. So now he can go away, crying and holding his dingle because we didn't plead with him to stay and keep puking his vitriol all over everyone, pretending that it's our fault he's an ass. Good riddance to him, and may he never return.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'm late to the party, but I wanted to vote for "What the crap are you talking about Bean Counter..err, I mean Jar Head?"
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What would Jar Head think of what this thread has become?
Ooooh! I think this should become the meeting place for the Secret Liberal Cabal (tm) - after all there's already talk of of hippies and no one would ever think to look in a Jar Head/Bean Counter thread for the Secret Liberal Cabal(tm)...
Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

[ROFL] [Evil] [Evil Laugh]
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. I would have voted to have him stay. I think Hatrack can suffer the occassional problem poster, and think that given enough time, Hatrack can change you in a constructive way.

But I'm an optimist.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Bok, your name makes a rather pleasing in an odd way kind of sound.

Does it have some kind of meaning?

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
About Bokonon.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

Oh, yeah.
The Books of Bokonon as per Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle.

Kwea, I'm just sayin'. Kayla was rather specific. [Smile]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Slowpoke! [Taunt]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

Bite me, lawboy.
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I too late to vote for John Kerry?
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Am I too late to vote Jimmy Carter? [ROFL]
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
Am I too late to vote for Thomas Dewey?
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd just like to add that I have known many many Marines (from newly-shorn baby jarheads to career Marines), and the ones with attitudes like "Jar Head" don't last long and don't get very far in the service.

Just sayin'

Also, I am married to a soldier (as many of you know) and live surrounded by them. There are some good and some bad, of course. Maybe I'll write more later. Maybe not. [Smile]

Aside: Chuck got a new laptop for Christmas, so I get his old one! And I am writing this post in the kitchen on my new/old laptop! Hooray!

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I too late to vote for Marcus Tullius Cicero?
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Verily, I was so considering doing almost that exact post, but I didn't know who to do! I'm glad someone did! [Big Grin]
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I to late to be proscribed by (Lucius Cornelius) Sulla?
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

If you are, can I have your house?
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
No, you'll have to bribe the officials like everybody else.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

Bah! I can't compete with Crassus! To Pluto with it.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Nay! To Saturn with it!
Kwea
Member # 2199

How about Uranus.....

Nevermind....

Kwea

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.