FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Common Personal Names (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Common Personal Names
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
I never quite realised, but some of the most common personal names in English are Jesus' apostles!

John, Mark, Matthew, James, Luke, Peter/Simon, Andrew/Ender...

Judah is a very uncommon name among Christians, hmm!

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Judah's not the problematic one. . . JudaS though. . .

[Big Grin]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
"Judah" in Hebrew, as I know it, the same in modern English. It's basically the "corrected" way of Latin Judas. So is it really a certain level of humiliation if a Christian is named like that? I know Jews are named after kings who weren't that friendly (Saul).
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
"Hey, Jude, don't make it bad
Take a sad song and make it better
Remember to let her into your heart
Then you can start to make it better"
(Lennon-McCartney - Hey Jude)

Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Jude in that case is short for "Julian." [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't help it's phonetically close to Judah/Judas.
Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it was originally "Hey Jules," but Paul changed it.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope-- no stigma against Judah, since most Christians associate the name Judah with the son of Jacob and the tribe, not with Judas.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed quite a few little kids recently with the name Cain. Not too good if they have a brother. [Angst]
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
But what about the Biblical Jude? Is that another Greek rendering of Judah?
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried to talk my wife into naming a son Judas, after the other apostle.

My wife would have none of that, though.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
He was also known as Matthias, wasn't he?
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Judah" in Hebrew, as I know it, the same in modern English. It's basically the "corrected" way of Latin Judas. So is it really a certain level of humiliation if a Christian is named like that? I know Jews are named after kings who weren't that friendly (Saul).
And then there's my husband, who didn't want to name our son Saul, which was his father's Hebrew name, because of who Saul was in the Bible.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Where you would really get into trouble is if you named your child Iscariot.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Which Saul, Ela? I'm just curious.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
signal
Member # 6828

- posted      Profile for signal   Email signal         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a friend in elementary school named Matthias (don't remember the spelling, but same pronounciation). His parents were missionaries from Norway or something and in his case, I think it was the equivalent of Matthew.
Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I've known girls named Delilah and Jezebel. I cannot fathom what their parents were thinking. Both girls more than lived up to their names.

It also bothers me when Jewish people name their sons Paul - I don't understand that either.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, thanks, now I have that song in my head for the rest of the day.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

Jezebel is the nickname I usually get from people who don't like me. [Mad]
Thankfully it refers to a sound alike of my name not my habit of killing people for their vineyards.

(By the way, as far as I remember, St. Matthias was Judas Iscariot's successor, voted into the apostolate by the other apostles.)

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Delilah is a beautiful name, and I don't think there's anything wrong with giving somebody a name that happens to have been shared by somebody distateful.

But there are limits. Imagine a boy growing up with the name Adolf. That would not be good.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daring Rooster
Member # 7252

- posted      Profile for Daring Rooster   Email Daring Rooster         Edit/Delete Post 
Lots of Biblical names out there - for Men as well as Women....Sarah, Rebecca, Miriam, Maria, etc.

I even know of a "Lilith" or two out there, though that is admittedly based in biblical folklore, and not on the Old Testament itself.

-Chris

[ January 11, 2005, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: Daring Rooster ]

Posts: 12 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Are there any groups that believe that it is important to always give children Bible names?
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

My friend is Anabaptist and her entire family have biblical names in the original Hebrew spelling. I'm not sure is this is a family preference or religious necessity, though.
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh, thanks, now I have that song in my head for the rest of the day.
But do you have the track of linda singing back up vocals that was shown on David Letterman back before she got sick? She was sure enthusiastic.
Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

quote:
Are there any groups that believe that it is important to always give children Bible names?
I can't think of any denominations where it's required. I'll have to go through my notes.

Jews are required to give their children Hebrew names, but they don't have to be from the Torah. For example, my Hebrew name is Keren Miriam - Keren is not from the Torah and Miriam is.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

quote:
Which Saul, Ela? I'm just curious.
King Saul in the Jewish Bible, of course.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daring Rooster
Member # 7252

- posted      Profile for Daring Rooster   Email Daring Rooster         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Jews are required to give their children Hebrew names, but they don't have to be from the Torah. For example, my Hebrew name is Keren Miriam - Keren is not from the Torah and Miriam is.
Yes, it's the same with my daughter - her Hebrew name is "Elianna Shifra". Elianna, while a religious name in nature, isn't a biblical name. Shifra is.

-Chris

[ January 11, 2005, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: Daring Rooster ]

Posts: 12 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Imagine a boy growing up with the name Adolf. That would not be good.
I agree. I can't imagine being associated with Coors beer. [Angst]
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have the opposite. I have an English name in addition to my real name because no one could ever pronounce my real name. Jaime is my English name, Chaim is my real name.
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Jews are required to give their children Hebrew names
2 questions:

What makes a name a Hebrew name? Can non-Hebrew names become Hebrew names?

How much of a requirement is it?

Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the name Chaim for no apparent reason.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I love the name Xerxes.
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

That's what I assumed, Ela, but I thought the other might be an even more likely reason for distaste, considering the context. But knowing that either could be readily perceived as a negative, I was just wondering.

--Pop

Ela
Member # 1365

Actually, there was a kid named Adolf in my school in the '50s, and he insisted on being called Dolf.

Believe me, no one associated his name with Coors Beer.
[Roll Eyes]

Daring Rooster
Member # 7252

quote:
What makes a name a Hebrew name? Can non-Hebrew names become Hebrew names?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but it's a Hebrew name if it appears in the Torah (Old Testament). That should answer your second question as well.

-Chris

Ela
Member # 1365

quote:
That's what I assumed, Ela, but I thought the other might be an even more likely reason for distaste, considering the context. But knowing that either could be readily perceived as a negative, I was just wondering.

--Pop

I assume you are referring to Saul of Tarsus, also known as Paul, from the new testament.

No Jew that I know of would even think about him for any reason, when considering names for their baby, not even to rule his name out. It's just not something we care about or think of.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Jews are required to give their children Hebrew names, but they don't have to be from the Torah.
Not according to this.
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

quote:
Can non-Hebrew names become Hebrew names?

How much of a requirement is it?

Well, you can use a Yiddish name. It's a pretty big requirement. I've never heard of a Jew not having a Hebrew or Yiddish name, even in the Reform movement.

Do you mean to ask if a non-Hebrew name has a Hebrew equivalent? The answer is sometimes. My English name happens to match up with my Hebrew name: Kira and Keren both mean sunlight and Marie and Miriam are the same name. You do not have to do that, though. One of my Hebrew school kids is named Isaac, but his Hebrew name is Yisroel. Of course, he's constantly being called Yitzchak, which is Hebrew for Isaac. Some names have no Hebrew equivalent. Andrew's Hebrew name is Aharon.

I already have Hebrew names picked out for all fo my future children. English ones, too, for that matter. I'm very compulsive.

Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I love the name Xerxes.
I love the letter "X". "Xerxes" is just an excuse to say "X" a lot, so I dig it, too.

quote:
But what about the Biblical Jude? Is that another Greek rendering of Judah?
If I'm not mistaken, there were easily at least seven significant men with the name "Judas" in the bible, one of them Jesus' half brother who most likely wrote the book of Jude. Another significant Judas was a faithful apostle of Jesus, also called "Thaddaeus."

However, as most people on the street would not be familiar with two Judas' being Jesus' apostles at the same time, there would most likely be a very negative association with naming your kid "Judas" in our quasi-Christian culture.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Matthias is the apostle that replaced Judas after his betrayal and subsequent death.

I love the name Mathias (with one t). We're naming a son that. [Smile]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a shame, really, that one person's actions can scar, and essentially retire a name forever from familiar usage.

I wonder if the same thing could happen nowadays. If a "Bob" or a "Joe" (using them as familiar names) was truly famously cruel, would "Bob" have the same curse immediately, or would it have to become part of history for the revulsion to become integrated? Or would it not be the same at all; would people just think of all the nice Bobs and Joes they knew instead?

Perhaps a name has to be unusual in the minds of the people for it to have a stigma attached: "Adolf" was probably not considered attached with Hitler inside of Germany- there were lots of Adolfs, but outside of Germany there was only one Adolf.

EDIT: I like the name Judas, which is partially why I think it's a shame it's been stigmatised.

[ January 11, 2005, 02:03 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
We have a fairly large Jewish popluation (of varying degrees of devoutness) here at work. However two of the more devout Jewish guys I know are both named Mark. I was wondering if there was some Jewish connection with the name Mark other than the Christian one. Mark is a person and a book of the Bible, but not actually an apostle as I recall. In fact I thought he was Greek or only half jewish but I'd have to look it up to make sure.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Unrelated anecdote:

We were visiting some Zapotec potters in a little village in Southern Mexico, talking to them with our professor translating from Spanish to English and one of the younger ladies translating from Spanish to Zapotec. Before they began their pottery demonstration, they insisted on knowing each of our names, and then asked what that name was in Spanish. Some were easy: Mike was Miguel, Jimmy was Juanes, I (Anneke) was Anita. One of the students, though, was named Jay, and we tried to explain that there wasn't a Spanish equivalent - his name was just Jay.
"Yes, but what is that in Spanish?" the lady kept asking.
We finally settled on telling them that his name was Jota (The letter of the alphabet). They thought it very funny and kept calling him Jota all afternoon.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Mark was an apostle, as well as the supposed author of the Gospel of Mark.

[ January 11, 2005, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: mackillian ]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

She was wondering about Old Testament Marks. I'm pretty sure Marcus and Mark are Roman names...
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
This Link seems like it might be useful for various this-thread-realted purposes.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

Annie is correct. Mark is from the Latin name Marcus.
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

I wonder if anyone is called Artah'shassta? (The English translation is Artaxerxes, I think.)

quote:
Judas, after the other apostle.
I thought he was a desciple, not an apostle. As far as I heard, desciples are the students of Jesus, whereas the apostles made him famous AFTER death; that makes Judas one, not the other, unless I got it wrong?
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
There were two apostles named Judas during the time of Jesus' three and a half year ministry.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I thought he was a desciple, not an apostle. As far as I heard, desciples are the students of Jesus, whereas the apostles made him famous AFTER death; that makes Judas one, not the other, unless I got it wrong?
I think you got it backwards:

quote:
In a very general sense, there is little difference between an apostle and a disciple. The two words are sometimes used interchangeably. Both terms refer to passionate adherents of a movement or philosophy who seek to further that philosophy through teaching, and both are often used to refer to the 12 men who were the original followers of Jesus of Nazareth.

But, according to the Catholic Encyclopedia, "It is at once evident that in a Christian sense, everyone who had received a mission from God, or Christ, to man could be called 'Apostle.' In fact, however, it was reserved to those of the disciples who received this title from Christ." So it seems that while the 12 Apostles were disciples, not all disciples are apostles.

The word "disciple" comes from the Latin discipulus, or pupil. "Apostle" comes from the Greek word apostolos, or delegate. The word "apostle" is the closest approximation to the Aramaic word "seliah," which referred to "those who were despatched from the mother city by the rulers of the race on any foreign mission, especially such as were charged with collecting the tribute paid to the temple service."

The historical Jesus spoke Aramaic, the language of the Semitic peoples of the Middle East. Aramaic was superseded by Arabic around the 13th century. Mel Gibson's upcoming biopic of Jesus, The Passion, was filmed entirely in Aramaic and Latin.

[ January 11, 2005, 02:35 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.