FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Movies that small children need to see (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Movies that small children need to see
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I graduated college and am living at home with my mom and four little siblings for a few months. The kids are 6, 8, 10 and 16.

My family rents a LOT of movies, and, this being a small town, the only movies they can get are pretty darn retarded. They get the hot new blockbusters and everything done by Disney and random TV shows on DVD.

So, I decided to sign my family up for Netflix. $18 a month is kind of expensive, but I'm sure my mom pays more than that renting movies at the grocery store for $2 each that you can keep for one day.

Here's my request: I want to get them all the good movies they need to see. When left to their own devices, they watch things like The Haunted Mansion, but they really enjoy movies I pick out like Flight of the Navigator and A Wrinkle in Time. They're also old enough that they can enjoy a lot of musicals and adult classics - they love West Side Story and Fiddler on the Roof.

What do you think are the essentials? What should every small child see? Also - if you've got any recommendations for grown-up movies (my mom and sister and I like foreign & independent films, just about anything that's not violent and not rated R) we welcome those as well. [Smile]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Mary Poppins
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Spirited Away

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Willie Wonka .
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aretee
Member # 1743

- posted      Profile for aretee   Email aretee         Edit/Delete Post 
Sound of Music!! I used to pretend I was Bregitta and sing around the living room!
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
Princess Mononoke
Both Shrek films
My little cousins loved Monty Python and the Holy Grail at that age, not sure whether anyone else concurs on that.

Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Mmm. I don't agree with Princess Mononoke-- too much gore and violence. It's a beautiful film, though.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Monsters Inc. There is nothing better than having your child afterward tell you that Mike WiCOWsy (spelled as said) is in her closet, come see.

Mary Poppins. This is on my must-show-my-daughter list. My son has seen it a number of times.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
My daughter found Willy Wonka really scary as a kid. [Eek!]

Just saying. [Smile]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
The Point
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Willy Wonka as played by Gene Wilder is pretty creepy. [Angst]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Singing in the Rain. Kids and adults, must see. Then you can practice singing the tougne twisters afterwards.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

They've seen just about everything ever done by Disney, though I agree that Monsters, Inc. is one of the best films ever. And they love The Sound of Music - my little brother has a pair of lederhosen and when I babysat for a week last year, I dressed him in them for church. [Smile] He went around telling everyone - "Look at me! I'm the Sound of Music!"

Ela - that's funny, because when I was little and we watched Willy Wonka, it scared my mom! She wouldn't let us watch it anymore.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Kiki's Delivery Service. Best movie ever.
It's a shame that this one Miyazaki movie isn't released yet, it's an excellent story about a little girl who wants to be a writer. I totally can relate to it.
Then you have Castle in the Sky.
Whale Rider is a little slow, but it's so good! And get Finding Neverland when that comes out on dvd. Finding Nemo was so cute and wonderful too. And Lilo and Stitch.
You know what else is good? Secret of Roan Inish. Slow, but beautiful.

[ January 13, 2005, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: Synesthesia ]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
The Court Jester
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I was thinking about Spirited Away... is it dubbed? I don't know if they're old enough to keep up with subtitles.
Annie
Member # 295

Oh, they'd love The Court Jester!
Scott R
Member # 567

Kiki's Delivery Service has been released (distributed by Disney) as has Castle in the Sky. I think they're even out on DVD.

OSC has a copy of Kiki's, by the way. Maybe if you ask REALLY nicely. . .

We have a DVD of Spirited Away, and enjoy it very much. There is a dubbed option, a subtitles option, and a Japanese option.

ElJay
Member # 6358

Ooooh, Totoro! I forgot Totoro!
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. I made my son sit down with me and watch it on Christmas Eve while we wrapped presents. He really liked it, especially the barn raising scene.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Prince of Egypt. Despite the singing.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I completely concur with Kiki's Delivery service. It is one of the best kids movies. I also enjoy Totoro.

My cousins, 3 & 5 love Totoro--they relate in a way I no longer can.

Spirited Away should be dubbed on DVD...hmm..when I get home, I will check.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I've never even heard of Totoro.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Mary Poppins
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
Matilda
The Sound of Music

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Totoro is great, but no one has the original Japanese version, which is what I want!

MATILDA! How could I forget that! That's one of the best book to movie adaptations ever!
Then there is The Secret Garden and the Little Princess. The modern versions of those movies is very good.

[ January 13, 2005, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: Synesthesia ]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Does anyone else remember the TV version of Alice in Wonderland? Actually, maybe it was Through the Looking Glass - or both. It had the really creepy Jabberwocky. I wonder if they'll put that on DVD.
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
The Trouble With Angels (1966). Stars Hayley Mills and Rosalind Russell.

This is one of my favorite films and has been since childhood. It follows two girls through four years of high school in a convent school. There's lots of silly fun, but serious moments as well. The girls are pretty wild (for 1966 [Smile] ) at first - they don't want to be at this school, but the film is really about growing up, and also about devotion to friends.

If you've ever heard someone say that they have a "scathingly brilliant idea", this is the film that popularized that phrase.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I remember that, and the bread and butter woman.
beverly
Member # 6246

quote:
Does anyone else remember the TV version of Alice in Wonderland? Actually, maybe it was Through the Looking Glass - or both. It had the really creepy Jabberwocky. I wonder if they'll put that on DVD.
I remember an old miniseries (covering both of the books) that was chock full of celebrity cameos. It was a musical. It was weird. But for whatever reason, my sister and I loved it.

"Jam tomorrow jam yesterday, but never ever jam today."

[ January 13, 2005, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
Labryinth.
David Bowie IS the Goblin King.

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

I have the original Japanese version of Totoro.

But it's a really, really bad dub. Sorry.

Annie
Member # 295

Take off their binders!
Annie
Member # 295

Yes, Bev - with Carol Channing!
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Shiloh - both of my kids adored that movie, and it's a pretty decent time for grown-ups too

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Ah, yes. I was too young to know a lot of the celebrities. I just had this "feeling" that that's what they all were. [Laugh] me
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They've seen just about everything ever done by Disney, though I agree that Monsters, Inc. is one of the best films ever.
Point of interest: Disney did not do Monsters, Inc.. They just distributed and marketed it.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Yup, Pixar is responsible for anything good that has recently "come from" Disney. I actually feel sorry for them now that Pixar has picked up and left their sorry butts.
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget Lilo and Stitch.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"MATILDA! How could I forget that! That's one of the best book to movie adaptations ever!
"

Agreed--it perfectly captures the spirit of the book and is just as good.

Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Don't forget Lilo and Stitch.
She didn't -- she does *not* like that movie.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

I had a random thought the other day that I would like to share here.

It seems that over the past decade and a half, Disney's main theme has been "the misfit" finally finding it's place or purpose in life.

On the other hand Pixar seems to have a theme of "looking at things from a new perspective". Living toys. A society of bugs. Sympathy with closet monsters. How a fish would feel about you catching their family member. That sort of thing.

Just interesting.

TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Who, Porter? Syn is the only other that mentioned it.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Bev.
NinjaBirdman
Member # 7114

- posted      Profile for NinjaBirdman   Email NinjaBirdman         Edit/Delete Post 
The Goonies. [Cool]
Posts: 204 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I just hope that when the separation becomes final Disney does not make a mess of Pixar characters. I would love to see an Incredibles 2 only if it is done properly by Pixar.
And why does Disney keep making these straight to video sequels? What next? Bambi 2? Snow white, The Queen is back even though she fell off a cliff?

Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Newsies
Ice Age
The Rocketeer
Guys and Dolls
My Fair Lady
Little Women

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My little cousins loved Monty Python and the Holy Grail at that age, not sure whether anyone else concurs on that.
For KIDS?

I agree with the musicals. Older children might like Oliver! the 1960s movie of the musical, which incidentally, won an Oscar for Best Picture. 10 is probably the bottom age for that though.

(or, if they're old enough for West Side Story, it's about the same level of adult themes)

Mary Poppins and the Sound of Music are musts, of course.

More modernly, I liked Fly Away Home and the new Little Princess and the new Secret Garden.

I dested Matilda but I'm most definately an inside-my-head Dahl purist and it just was wrong for me- just wrong. It should have been adapted by BBC. The Witches, on the other hand, is very good, in my mind.

Finally, the Railway Children. I love love love that movie. I could watch it over and over.

[ January 13, 2005, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
You know what I've noticed along those lines, bev? Pixar films have always stressed the importance of family, community, and that, most of all, adults and children can and should interact happily and respectfully. It seems to me that most of the Disney films I've seen over the past 20 years begin with the assumption that adults and kids, especially parents and kids, are completely different species that can't ever possibly get along, except for maybe a grudging 5 minutes at the end. Adults are always portrayed as either incompetent and helpless, or evil and cruel.

So I thought that was just the way kid's movies had to be, since that was pretty much the only way they were ever done.

Then along comes Pixar, with movies like A Bug's Life, Monster's Inc, Finding Nemo, and The Incredibles.... and it really hit me. They work so hard to portray adult-child interactions as they really are, or at least as they should be. Both adults and children treat each other with respect, and are aware that they both need each other. I don't feel like I ever really see that in kid's movies from other studios, especially Disney.

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
The original Parent Trap
All three (or are there more now?) Wallace & Gromit movies
The Dark Crystal
The Neverending Story
The Muppet Movie
The Great Muppet Caper

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
The Brave Little Toaster. (I know there are several varients too)
Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
Titan A.E.
The Iron Giant
Treasure Planet

Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.