FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Movies that small children need to see (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Movies that small children need to see
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I got ripped a new one for *almost* showing Stand By Me when I was a summer camp head counselor.

I love that movie, but it's rated R.

[Eek!]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Yikes, you're right! I've only seen it on TV so I never realized there was so much profanity in that movie. I just remembered there's a smoking scene as well.

For the concerned parent:

quote:
Aside from the great story and character interactions, the film includes A LOT of profanity, which is surprising because the stars of the film are all of young age, and the film is set in the late 1950's, a much purer period in American history. The film also includes some scenes of sexual language aimed at each other for ridicule. There are a few scenes of attempted violence involving a knife and gun but nothing to shield your eyes from. Drug use is also prevalent in scenes of cigarette smoking by the young stars and alcohol consumption from minor characters. Christianity isn't really mentioned in the film but God is referred to in an exchange between Chris and Gordie, where Chris encourages Gordie to pursue his writing skills because it is a gift from God. Other than that, God is not a real factor in the film.
Christian Answers.net
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I've only skimmed so I'm probably repeating some of these:

Princess Bride
Labrynth
Dark Crystal
Secret of NIMH
Goonies
ET
Monsters, Inc.
Joseph & the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
Cats
The Neverending Story
Annie (the Albert Finney/Carol Burnett version)
Mary Poppins

I'm sure I'll think of more later

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Beren! I loved Children of Heaven!

If you like sappy foreign stuff, I'd also recommend Together - a Chinese film that is just brilliant, and The Way Home, which is Korean.

These are all such great ideas.

quote:
Annie (the Albert Finney/Carol Burnett version)
Do any of the others even count?! [Smile]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:Annie (the Albert Finney/Carol Burnett version)

Do any of the others even count?! [Smile]

Well, I had to clarify to make sure that the wrong version wasn't obtained in error.... I'm still somewhat stunned from my acquisition of the wrong version of Pirates of Penzance...
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

Annie I loved Together! I watched it with my dad for father's day. It was a big deal to me because my dad doesn't speak English too well so it is rare that we can share a great movie experience together.

If you enjoyed Together, I'd also recommend another sappy Chinese film The King of Masks. The plot is simple so younger kids can follow along even if they can't read the subtitles.

I've never heard of The Way Home before, but I will definitely add it to my Netflix queue. [Smile]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I really liked The Adventures of Milo & Otis when I was a bit younger. Escape to Witch Mountain was also a childhood favorite (the sequel isn't very good, though).

Might I suggest looking up your family's favorite movies on Amazon, to see what "Customers who bought *this* also bought"? I've gotten a number of ideas for other books and movies I might enjoy through that. [Smile]

Edited for clairty

[ January 14, 2005, 03:47 AM: Message edited by: Jhai ]

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Old Yeller [Cry]
Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
I suggest :

Alien,
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre,
Evil Dead,
Halloween,
Nightmares from the cript,
Old Boy,
Mad Max I,
Bamby.

Oups ! sorry, it's my list of Terrific movies... [Big Grin]

Can i recommand you all Myazaki's work ?
and Lemony Snicket's a series of unfortunate events that i like very much, and Hook.

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I didn't like Hook. I find Orson Scott Card did a good job of detailing my objections to it.

I do find, however, that I don't hate it as much on the small screen as I did in the theater. Lower expectations, and it did have some individually great moments. It wouldn't make my list, though.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I didn't like Hook. I find Orson Scott Card did a good job of detailing my objections to it.

Can you link where, please ?
Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

Old Boy - That movie gave me nightmares. [Smile]
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There's a movie of A Wrinkle in Time?
No. There is a made for TV movie titled A Wrinkle in Time with characters that have the same names as those in the book and a few plot similarities.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone else see the Wrinkle in Time movie that was essentially a slide show of illustrations shown while someone read the book? I saw it in 4th or 5th grade, I think.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think anyone's mentioned Time Bandits yet, which is faintly criminial.

I'll second Syn's nomination of The Secret of Roan Inish, and Uofulawguy's nomination of The Dark Crystal. PeeWee's Big Adventure is one that kids seem to appreciate, in my experience.

Teshi, when I was a kid I *loved* the Python films. I was probably about 10 when I first watched Holy Grail.

These aren't movies, but you might look into getting episodes of Dr. Who through netflix. Dr. Who, especially the Tom Baker years, were one of the highlights of my childhood.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Uncle Orson's All-Time List of Movies That Made a Lot of Money that Are Pretty Horrible

quote:
Hook

Scratch the surface of most of Spielberg's films, and Hook is inside it, leering out at you. The pandering of the "lost boys" was bad enough -- when will adults realize that they can't be cool by capturing fads that were already over by the time they heard of them? -- but what killed this movie was the cowardly ending. Though cowardly endings are proof that the film is by Spielberg, in case the hype somehow passed you by, this one was especially egregious. I mean, this is about a father who has been told by the villain that if the villain is not killed, he will come back again and again to torment and, if he can, destroy the his children. So the father beats him in a fair fight, but with his sword at the villain's throat, he turns around and walks away. What a wonderful message for children: No, kids, Daddy doesn't have the spine to keep you safe. He'll let the bogey man live because, after all, good guys can't kill disarmed villains even if they were disarmed in a fair fight. Well, I've got a clue for you: this father could. And so could every other father I know. And no, it didn't save anything when the big stuffed crocodile fell over on Captain Hook and Hook disappeared. Because we had no way of knowing what that meant. This story took place in a fantasy land, remember? How do we know that someone who magically disappears won't magically reappear later? (Indeed, I suspect that if Hook had been a bigger success, we would already have seen the sequel -- in which Hook was not dead.) No matter what, the ending sucks because we don't know what happened and even if we did we'd hate it.

Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
My Neighbor Totoro
The Princess Bride
Labyrinth
The Last Unicorn
The Secret of Roan Innish
Bambi
Kiki's Delivery Service
Pirates of the Caribbean

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Teshi, when I was a kid I *loved* the Python films. I was probably about 10 when I first watched Holy Grail.
Okay, ten I can see. But eight and four?

Also, I love 'Hook'. I always fall for the father becomes more fatherly stories [Smile] .

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

By the definition "more fatherly" = "more attentive"

What about the definition "parent" = "one who defends his or her children"?

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.