FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Movies that small children need to see (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Movies that small children need to see
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
OH I get it now. Silly me.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BotaLadyG
Member # 7053

- posted      Profile for BotaLadyG   Email BotaLadyG         Edit/Delete Post 
what about The Wizard of OZ ? My 7 year old daughter loves it... or even The King of Dreams ?(<--- done by the same people that did Prince of Egypt )

I could go on for ever... we have quite the EXTENSIVE childrens video library..lol [Big Grin]

Posts: 115 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm...

I haven't seen any of those three.

Guess that means I'm showing my age when I'm recommending things from years ago..

FG
edit: I was replying to Stray

[ January 13, 2005, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Zeugma, an astute observation. I remember back when I was still a pretty big Disney fan when Porter complained that Disney usually focused on dysfuncional families. I tried to come to Disney's defense. It took me a while to realize that, with a few exceptions, he was right.

I grew up dreaming of being a Disney artist. I loved animation, and they were "the best". I remember my first time going to a Disney store. I realized that I did not worship Disney as I thought I did, since they seemed to require their employees to be avid worshipers. I could see the difference. Over time I slowly overcame the brainwashing children all over the world go through--that your childhood is not complete if you have not been to Disney World. After seeing how full of itself Disney is, I have not been able to respect them since.

I had a friend in college who also had a life's ambition to work for Disney (though not as an artist). She got her wish. But from what I have seen... I am sad for her. [Frown]

I admire Pixar *so* much. I wish I were born a few decades later so I could have grown up with my life's ambition being to work for them. Everything I learn pleases me.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Back it up.

Who doesn't like Lilo and Stitch?!

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
We hated Lilo and Stitch. [Razz]
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen Lilo and Stitch, or pretty much anything Disney after Pocohantas. A friend though said it traumatized her daughter.

I will confess that my kids love The Holy Grail. Thanks to the joys of DVD we just skip a few scenes.

We watch lots of MGM musicals. Their favorite is On The Town .

Let's see..they love Robotech ; I don't knoe if that's on DVD yet though. You can get lots of Speed Racer on DVD. And don't forget the ultimate in social commnentary, Godzilla .

Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry, mack, you have an ally here.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

[Dont Know] I didn't like it.

Edit: I did, however, like Treasure Planet.

[ January 13, 2005, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a kid my favorite movies were "The Last Unicorn" and anything done by Haley Mills. (It was the British accent, I think.)

I still like "The Last Unicorn." I hear they're making a live action.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aretee
Member # 1743

- posted      Profile for aretee   Email aretee         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh! I was just about to write that! (Brave Little Toaster)

How about Pollyana?

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Leslie! [Smile]
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aretee
Member # 1743

- posted      Profile for aretee   Email aretee         Edit/Delete Post 
[Blushing]

Hey, Ralphie!

Why would anyone hate Lilo and Stich? There has to be a reason? I'm just curious. (My step-daughters LOVE it.)

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

The sad thing is, it made so little impression on me, that I can't remember why I didn't like it.

Problems with the story mostly. Maybe I found Stitch's change-of-heart difficult to swallow.

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I learned somewhere that Disney has closed down the animation school that Walt started way back when. They used to do the Disney cartoon shorts while they learned to do animation, eventually working on the movies. Now how are they going to get new talent?

Oh, and did you know Disney's making CG movies of it's own? And Pixar's nowhere to be seen.

I, for one, adored Lilo and Stitch. I thought it was funny and cute and it made me cry toward the end. I also liked how Nani had big thighs. It just made me happy that she wasn't built like a Disney princess.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Sarmup: They're farming it out to Asia. :/
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I recommend Yankee Doodle Dandy, which I may have spelled wrong. It's the George M. Cohen story.

Disney parents are idiots who don't get along with their kids . . . hmm . . . Lion King, Mulan, Beauty and the Beast . . .

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Icarus, it is an either/or thing. Beauty and the Beast--father is an idiot.

Also, if they are animals or from another culture that would be un-PC to make fun of, the rule doesn't apply.

Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Both Sister Act movies.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
*offensive word deleted*, don't tell me you let them see A Wrinkle in Time. [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash]
Wash the memory of it out of their heads and then read them the book.

Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
The father is not an idiot in Beauty and the Beast. That's how Gaston and his sycophants see it, but they are brutish followers. He is an inventor, and if his failures are spectacular, that's just because failure is a necessary part of invention. But look at the principles he has grasped ahead of his time, and he is pretty brilliant. Don't look at how the villagers see it: look at it from Belle's point of view. Belle respects him, and would sacrifice her life to save him, and he would sacrifice his life to save her. Each shows real courage in their attempt to help the other.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually watched it last night with them. Although as a cinematic piece it wasn't much, I thought they did a pretty nice job with the story.

Actually, I've been trying to get them to read books, but that's a bit harder. They just won't sit down and sit through them like I would. I have gotten my 8-year-old sister interested in the Oz books, though. She's currently reading Ozma of Oz to me, and it's got all kinds of big words in it. [Smile]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Here here Icarus!

Belle's father is scatterbrained (couldn't read a map), and eccentric, but brilliant.

One thing I would like to see more of in Disney movies is a positive mother figure. Cinderella only has an evil stepmother, Belle's mother is dead, Jasmine (Aladdin) has no mother apparently, Pocahontas' mother was dead, etc.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Same here, Belle and Icarus. Belle's father was cool. A bit scatterbrained, but in a sweet eccentric sort of way.

Well, the mother on the lion king was rather cool, but you don't get to see much of her... Bambi's mom was cool too, but she got shot [Frown]
They really do need to have stronger mothers. And how about some Disney cartoons about black people? All the time they have white folks and just one movie with native americans and at least L and S had some hawaiian people which was cool and they had the LIONS and they were so much more like Imperial Britain... I mean, bowing down to someone who's going to eat you?

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Syn, the lionessese in Lion King bothered me.

They needed Simba to grow up and come back before they could oust Scar? Why didn't they just kick his bony lion butt to the curb?

I would have put money on the lionesses vs. Scar and his hyenas any day, the hyenas were cowards.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
re: The Lion King

My kids didn't like it much. And my "more sensitive" son (who was probably about 5 to 7 at the time) basically totally "shut down" for the rest of the day once he saw that opening scene where the father lion dies. He spent the rest of the time in the theatre with his eyes closed, ears plugged and head buried.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

When I say that the father was an idiot, I was referring to the scatter-brainness. It was done for comic effect rather than to be believable. Jasmine's father was the same exept far more so.

Edit: Perhaps "incompetent" would be a better word than "idiot". Sure, both of these fathers are good, sweet, men. Teddy bears. But they aren't the sort of character that you look up to. Pocahontas' father and Mufasa--now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout! Those are "good" father role models.

[ January 13, 2005, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Jasmine's father was sort of... stupid. I failed to see how he could become a king when he wasn't bright enough to see how evil Jafar was.

Why? Because they were rather lunky and bossy?

[ January 13, 2005, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: Synesthesia ]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Annie! The most recent rendition of Peter Pan .
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

quote:
Why? Because they were rather lunky and bossy?
Because they had dignity and intelligence. They knew how to be good leaders.

Maybe it has to do with my own ideas of what a "good father" should be. Kind, yes. But more than that.

[ January 13, 2005, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Court Jester
I love this movie. Anything with Danny Kaye in it would be good.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

That works ^^
But they were pretty darn lunky...
They should have more strong yet realistic parents.

*loved that version of peter pan* so much better than the disney one.

beverly
Member # 6246

Do you think they were bossy? Hmmm, I can understand seeing Pocahontas' father that way, though in my mind he was following a common cultural practice. Mufasa was kick-butt cool, but bossy?

And I guess where you are saying "lunky" I see "masculine".

[ January 13, 2005, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Lunky is more big chunky huge intimadating men built like football players.
Mufasa was a great dad. He totally commanded Simba NOT to go into the Elephant's graveyard and was kind even when he caught him there anyway.
Cant really remember much about Pocahontas. Maybe I should add it to my queue... *now has over 233 movies on it*

beverly
Member # 6246

One of our newest members here, Tink, my long time friend and now cousin-in-law, gave me the movie Pocahontas for my birthday years ago because it really "spoke to me". I am one of the few people I have interacted with that actually likes the movie. [Smile]
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I like the message, even though it's watered down a bit..
Native American spirituality rocks. i wish I was a Shaman

Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Labryinth.
David Bowie IS the Goblin King.

Being a student, I've rediscovered Labyrinth in the last couple of years, having remembered how much I loved it as a kid. If you can get past the hokey 80's-ness of it all, it really is a wonderful film, scary, beautiful, strange, moral and also obliquely sexy. The ballroom scene was the basis for my best little girl romantic (and prom dress) fantasies.

The kids can enjoy the Muppets and the philosophical references and the adults can subject it to Freudian analysis. It's great! (And it's educational too - how many films teach you the meaning of the word oubliette?)

Can you tell that I love this film?

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Yick
Freud.
It's all about Jung!

ALSO, I like the Dark Crystal, but they have to replenish the whole species!
Which means...
INTERBREEDING! EW EW EW

[ January 13, 2005, 06:42 PM: Message edited by: Synesthesia ]

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of Labyrinth, did you know that David Bowie's Area rules the universe?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
I know!

That thing in his leggings has got to be a pair of socks. I mean hasn't it? Is it even physically possible?

Do I want to know the answer to that question? [Angst]

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Oy. Did that need to be linked to?

I went in all naive - "Ooh... what does "area" mean?"

[ January 13, 2005, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: Annie ]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

[ROFL]
Reminded suddenly of this dude

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Courage Mountain, with Charlie Sheen, of all people. It's a sequel to Heidi and it's awesome.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a movie of A Wrinkle in Time?

*collapses*

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Neverending Story, and if you have to, Neverending story 2. I wanted a wish dragon more than anything when I was a kid.

And Artax was really cool.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
Phantasm

Really, the kids in this movie are such good role models!

Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
1) Howard Bound--great doggie movie.

2) Bambi, if they can get past the death of mommie moments.

3) Abbott and Costello movies -- a bit dated but good clean fun, and not as violent as the 3 stooges.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Chicken Run (from the Wallace and Grommit folks) was a lot of fun.

And bev and Annie, I remember that TV version of Alice and Through the Looking Glass (it was both) too! It was weird, but oh so wonderful! And it was also my introduction to a lot of "famous names."

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

When I was reading this thread earlier, Abigail was sitting with me, and when I clicked on the picture of Thomas, she said "That's Stitch! That boy looks like Daniel." [Big Grin]

So, there are definitely some Stitch fans in my house too.

vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, you guys have already listed some of my favorites (Little Princess, My Neighbor Totoro, and Chicken Run). [Smile]

My additional list:

Children of Heaven
Baran
E.T.
Miracle on 34th Street
Toy Story
My Dog Skip
Stand by Me
Babe
Charlotte's Web

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.