FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Curently reading... (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Curently reading...
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope the two books aren't connected, somehow, Kat.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*laugh* No, but it is interesting reading Dracula now. I get all the subtext! No wonder it was so boring the first time. I didn't get what was actually going on.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
The Historian
Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
johnson, that's a really good book (IMO). let me know what you think.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Right now I'm reading Three Short Novels by Wendell Berry. If you haven't read him, do. He's a Kentucky author who writes of the people in a fictional town called Port William. Hannah Coulter, his latest release, is excellant. Berry is also a poet, so his fiction is just beautiful.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Gene Wolfe's newest collection of short stories, Innocents Aboard. I really like most of his writing, but a lot of these are on the more horrorish side of his work, which really freaks me out. About half of the stories I end up wishing I hadn't read.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Dan Simmons - Olympos [Cool]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

David Gordon White (ed) - Tantra in Practice

(it's for class, I don't have much time to do any other reading nowadays)

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished "A Storm of Swords" by George R. R. Martin. I need to find something new to start.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
"In Conquest Born" by C.S. Friedman. From the description I thought I would hate this book, but it's actually really amazing.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
Skin A collection of stories by Roald Dahl. They are fasinating like his children's books but these are NOT for children.
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
"La petite fille et le doberman" by Serge Brussolo. He's a french SF autors who use lot of description from Monuments of Paris.

Next book : the french version of Harry Potter 6 on October, the first.

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
rereading like mad:

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell

Songmaster, which I've not read for years

Pride and Prejudice

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Second Foundation (Asimov)

I'm slowly making my way through the Foundation Series.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oliver Dale
Member # 8398

- posted      Profile for Oliver Dale   Email Oliver Dale         Edit/Delete Post 
"Kite Runner" because I heard it was good, and I'm a bandwagon-jumper like that.
Posts: 92 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Ender's Shadow...got SoG recently so I'm rereading the shadow series.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
I still have to read Foundation and Empire. But I read books in the middle (between Foundation and F&E), so it's excusable.

Right?

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
Started The Garden Of Beasts a few months ago. Got sidetracked by another book (that I finished) and didn't finish the Beasts book. I also started Secret Lovers by Charles McCarry and haven't finished it either. I started OSC's Magic Street a few weeks ago. And I just started reading the The Red Book last night.
Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I've hopped on the Prachett bandwagon and just began The Color of Magic. I'm enjoying it so far. Seems to be an entertaining story that doesn't require a whole lot of thought, which is exactly what I've been needing.

Just recently I finished Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner. Tante had recommended it, and I'm *really* glad she did.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
Magic Street by...OSC!
It's pretty good, I like it so far.

Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I still have to read Foundation and Empire. But I read books in the middle (between Foundation and F&E), so it's excusable.
I think F&E is the second book (in the original series). In other words, there isn't a book between Foundation and F&E. Maybe I'm wrong. Too lazy to go to Amazon and check.

Anyways, I'm on to something else - Creepers by David Morrell. Come on, the guy wrote "Rambo", what could go wrong?

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
Harry Potter 6 in french. After reading it in english, i appreciate to look at some details i didn't notice. But some translations have not my approbation....
Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr. Evil
Member # 8095

- posted      Profile for Dr. Evil   Email Dr. Evil         Edit/Delete Post 
Rhinegold by Stephan Grundy. Probably the best book of the re-telling of the Nibelung saga. You read it and you really can see how Tolkien pulled so much of LOTR from the story.
Posts: 117 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
Currently reading A Feast for Crows by George R. R. Martin.

After that I'll read The Model by Lars Saabye Christensen

Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BGgurl
Member # 8541

- posted      Profile for BGgurl   Email BGgurl         Edit/Delete Post 
Magic Street [Big Grin]
Posts: 106 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
The Lady or the Tiger and Other Stories, by Frank Stockton.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Just finished: Peter F. Hamilton - The Reality Dysfunction

If you thought Tolsoi took a long time to get us into the middle of things, well, think again. For around 2-300 pages he does almost nothing but introducing new characters and plot lines, and does this while also giving every little useless detail possible. Ugh... Oh, did I say characters? Forget it, for those pages they're more like bodies with a name! But, if you stick around long enough, you'll reach the point where things really start to happen! Everything goes from boring to near-hell in a few pages, and from there on you're hooked! Or at least that's what happened to me. [Smile] That's why I managed to go through all of 1200 pages, and also why sometimes in the near future I'll buy the other two books in the series, each of them - I hope - packed with around 1000 pages of thrilling action!

Currently reading: Ursula K. Le Guin - The Birthday of the World (a collection of stories)

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avery Good Schreibner
Member # 8772

- posted      Profile for Avery Good Schreibner           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reading Willa Cather's Death Comes for the Archbishop. The back cover says it's a msaterpiece. Maybe I haven't read enough of it yet.
Posts: 32 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. After I finish that, I'm going to finish off Maps in a Mirror and then move on to A Game of Thrones and all of the other books in that series.
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
If you believe all the blurbs on the back of books have I got a deal for you.....

[Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sickinthehead
Member # 8711

- posted      Profile for sickinthehead           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reading Meine Welt in Bildern. A book for UFO nuts.
Posts: 12 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
The Stand By Stephen King.

I love how the Dark Tower just sort of ties all his different realities together. It all feels like it's part of a whole.

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

Still working my way through Eye of the World. I'm about halfway done, but I only get about 10-15 minutes a day to read if I read any at all.
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
Hombre- Elmore Leonard
Walden- Henry David Thoreau
The First Man in Rome- Colleen McCullough

Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluenessuno
Member # 5535

- posted      Profile for bluenessuno   Email bluenessuno         Edit/Delete Post 
finished It's Superman! by Tom DeHaven. 1930's America and Clark Kent. Like a 'year one.' very human, funny and thrilling.
now reading Our Cluture, What's Left of It by Theodore Dalrymple. doctor spent proportion of his career in Third World countries and the remainder "among the very extensive British underclass." the cover is quite striking.

recommend
Carter Beats the Devil by Glen David Gold. 1920's America. magic and love and heartbreak.
Time On My Hands by Peter Delacorte. 1930's Hollywood, time-travel, love, heartbreak and Dutch Reagan.
Spilling Clarence by Anne Ursu. a chemical that pushes your memories to the fore spills into town. wonderful and real and human.

Posts: 61 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peek
Member # 7688

- posted      Profile for Peek   Email Peek         Edit/Delete Post 
Sheep in a Jeep.

god i wish, that book is the greatest. really dudes, pick up a copy.

Dude [Cool] peekaboo

Yeah.

Posts: 112 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusta-burger
Member # 8753

- posted      Profile for Rusta-burger   Email Rusta-burger         Edit/Delete Post 

It's not very good. But if I learn about Orwell I should then be able to make other people feel stupid without actually saying anything worth saying, which could be useful if my life ever comes in danger.

Posts: 75 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
Wicked by Gregory Maguire
Son of a Witch by Gregory Maguire

I love these books. They take an interesting perspective on fairy tales. Essentially Maguire takes the story The Wonderful Wizard of Oz as historical fact, and writes another side of the tale. That said, he does tend to use strong language in his adult books so buyer beware.

[ January 22, 2006, 12:24 AM: Message edited by: andi330 ]

Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Just finished The Historian, by Elizabeth Kostova, as well as First Meetings in the Enderverse.

Now just beginning Strange Itineraries, by Tim Powers.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
A World Treasury of Myths, Legends and Folktales - Stories from Six Continents
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.