FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Curently reading... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Curently reading...
Alistair
Member # 7858

- posted      Profile for Alistair   Email Alistair         Edit/Delete Post 
Just finished (and loved) Shadow of the Giant

Currently reading:
The Once and Future King by T. H. White
and
The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Posts: 38 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
right now:
Where the Red Fern Grows

Hopefully this weekend:
Where the Heart Is
or
Forrest Gump

[ April 21, 2005, 09:57 PM: Message edited by: Tater ]

Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
"Icehenge" by Kim Stanley Robinson

I was pleasantly surprised!

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
Almost done reading "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand.

Interesting book. However, I think it could have had the same impact on me had it been 500 pages shorter. I have about 50 pages or so to finish which I will probably go through tonight before bed.

After that I'm planning to read "Mr. Murder" by Dean Koontz and hopefully borrow the last two Dark Tower books from a friend to finish reading the series.

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
Currently, I read :

- Cyrano de Bergerac by Edmond Rostand
- Les contemplations by Victor Hugo
-and again, the constitution.

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Fiction: Haruki Murakami - Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Non-fiction: Haruki Murakami - Underground

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Currently:

Foundation and Empire (Asimov)
Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams)

On Deck:

Frankenstein (Koontz)

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altáriël of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altáriël of Dorthonion   Email Altáriël of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Stories from the Arabian Nights(in Spanish).

Las Mil y Una Noches

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reading The Kite Runner (Khalid Hosseini). Enjoying it so far. [Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lille Mu
Member # 7115

- posted      Profile for Lille Mu   Email Lille Mu         Edit/Delete Post 
Just finished Wuthering Heights, why did E. Brontë die so young ????
Posts: 28 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished Bloodchild and other stories by Octavia Butler, and have started Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler.
Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Portabello, I own Parable of the Sower- it's at home, though, and so I can't read it until Saturday, but I'd be interested in knowing what you thought! [Smile]
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm currently re-reading The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King. It is a long time favorite of mine.

I am also reading There Are Doors by Gene Wolfe. This one I am reading aloud with my wife.

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

Just read: Dan Brown - Angels & Demons and The Da Vinci Code

Starting: Greg Bear - Darwin's Radio

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

Currently, i read :

- Quatrevingt-treize by Victor Hugo
- Psychologie de la bataille (Battle psychology) by Anatoly Karpov and Jean-François Philézon. (in what a chess game looks like a negociation, and in what a negociation looks like a chess game)

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Terry Pratchett, The Truth (light reading, I'm a little tired these days [Smile] )
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

Currently NOT reading: G.R.R. Martin - A game of thrones
[Grumble]

I ordered it at a multi-lingual bookshop around three weeks ago, and it's still not here... The funny thing is that I have all the other books from the series, but not the first one! Oh well, I'll go on reading "Darwin's Radio" until then...

Corwin
Member # 5705

Finally currently reading - G.R.R. Martin, A game of thrones

Let the adventure begin! [Smile]

Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
"The Game of Kings" by Stephan Zweig
Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
PS - good luck, Corwin!
Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Corwin, i'm sorry. You will be in agony like the rest of us, soon, waiting for A feast of Crows.

I am reading a Clive Cussler novel, "Serpent."

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

It's due out sometime this month and it's about Dracula. Kind of along the lines of the Da Vinci Code, et al, but it's a lot more detailed and better written.

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AC
Member # 7909

- posted      Profile for AC           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember the translator, but the copy of "The Aeneid" that I read started: "I sing of arms and of the man", which incidentally, is my favorite opening line of anything I have ever read.
Posts: 151 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Just finished "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" (I'd been wanting to find a copy with the original illustrations for some time.)

Will probably go back to the Complete Sherlock Holmes collection. I'd taken a break midway through volume 2.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
Just finished re-reading the Sevenwaters trilogy by Juliet Marillier - great read for Irish/Celtic mythology or history enthusiasts who don't mind a little romance-centred narrative.

Currently:
"The Merlin Conspiracy" by Diana Wynne Jones
"American Gods" by Neil Gaiman
"Green Dolphin Street" by Elizabeth Goudge

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
now reading "Fiend" by Jemiah Jefferson. It was a book of the week selection from my email horror book club thing. Every day for 5 days they email a chapter of a book, then take a week plus a weekend off. So you only get selections every other week. This one is a vampire story, the first couple chapters reminded me very much of Anne Rice.

Next on the list, "The Nameless Day" by Sara Douglass.

I can't read multiple books at the same time like some people <eyes Astaril's reading list>

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
And I can't read just one like other people! It all depends on my mood. I get very specific book-cravings for certain character types or worlds or things. Does anyone else? Also, I've got to have one for the kitchen when I'm waiting for toast to pop, one that fits in my coat pocket for reading while I walk, etcetera.

And I just started "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" again last night in anticipation for Book 6!

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to go by author. I'll read more or less randomly for a while until I read something that strikes my fancey, and then I'll read a lot from that author. I'm about to finish everything that Octavia Butler has published. [Frown]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
His Savageness
Member # 7428

- posted      Profile for His Savageness   Email His Savageness         Edit/Delete Post 
Currently reading:

A Confederacy of Dunces and Royal Assassin

Posts: 194 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

mph, consider yourself lucky to be able to afford/find so many books from the same author! [Smile]

I read most of the SF books as they were translated into Romanian, but there have been periods when I would take everything I had by one author and reread them. It was really interesting when I did this with Ph. K. Dick's novels, as there are so many of the same elements/ideas that appear in most of them that you actually feel like you're inside a specific universe.

St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm currently reading:

Ringworld by Larry Niven
and
Moment of Freedom by Jens Bjørneboe

Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheSeeingHand
Member # 8349

- posted      Profile for TheSeeingHand   Email TheSeeingHand         Edit/Delete Post 
The Crystal City by Orson Scott Card :-D
Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reading 'Endless Night' by Richard Laymon.

Describing the creation of a murderous secret society in magic-hour childhood-nostalgia terms is a stroke of genius.

This guy is so much fun to read.

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

Finished all the three "Song of Ice and Fire" novels...

Reading Murakami's "The Elephant Vanishes" - a collection of stories.

Choobak
Member # 7083

I read a lot. I finished :

Psychologie de la bataille (battle psychology) by Anatoli Karpov and Jean-François Phelizon (very interesting comparaison between chess and business world, with lot of anecdotes)
Oscar et la dame rose by Eric-Emmanuel Schmitt (Beautiful !)
Quatrevingt-treize by Victor Hugo

And I'm reading two books :
Integral text of François Villon's poetry (from the XVth century)
The old man and the sea by Ernest Hemingway

Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
Prentice Alvin
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
The 6th Harry Potter...I got an advance copy...Just kidding, I'm reading for the first time Foundation and Empire, which I'm absolutely loving. Is the third book in the Foundation trilogy as good as this one?
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ailurophobic
Member # 8343

- posted      Profile for ailurophobic   Email ailurophobic         Edit/Delete Post 
Crime and Punishment, The Mayor of Casterbridge, Pride and Prejudice, and Heart of Darkness.

Geh. AP English summer reading.

Posts: 71 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Eye of the World by Robert Jordan.

I made a deal with a housemate of mine that I'd read the first Wheel of Time book if she read Ender's Game. Needless to say she finished a few days ago while I still have a ways to go... But I think I got her hooked. =)

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mintieman
Member # 4620

- posted      Profile for Mintieman   Email Mintieman         Edit/Delete Post 
If it helps ailurophobic Crime and Punishment is excellent. I'm a tad iffy on the last 2 though. I'm glad to see that people are reading Murakami, the few books I've read of his were amazing.

Currently Reading : Doctor Zhivago - Boris Pasternak

Posts: 122 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

- posted      Profile for Chungwa   Email Chungwa         Edit/Delete Post 
Syrup by Max Barry
Regina's Song by David Eddings
The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett

I usually don't like reading more than two books at once.

Once classes begin again, most of my reading time will be spent on non-fiction - granted, Herodotus can be just as fantastic as fiction! (I'll probably have time for 1 or 2 non-assigned books a month). So I'm getting a lot of 'fun' books done this summer.

Edit: *sigh* My dad just informed me that I am reading more than one book at a time because I don't like any of them.

[ July 10, 2005, 11:38 PM: Message edited by: Chungwa ]

Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Hm, someone else on this page was reading The Once and Future King but T.H. White. That's what I'm reading now and I love it. [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Olympos by Dan Simmons for the second time.

Soon to start the Aeneid, but in Latin. Sigh...

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
Currently:
The Histories by Herodotos
The Mirror of Her Dreams by Stephen R Donaldson
The Confusion by Neal Stephenson

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
Just finished The Memory of Earth by OSC.

Currently reading Eon by Greg Bear.

On deck:
The next Homecoming OSC book.
Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
The rest of the Drizzt Do'Urden series

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I could have sworn I had posted to this thread. Oh, well.

I am reading Peace Like a River by Leif Enger, and is it ever good!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I am completely and utterly embarrassed to say that I read Shadow Puppets, and the whole time, I felt like OSC was copping out, making these relationships jump so quickly into depth, from out of nowhere.

Well, then I realized I was not reading the second book in the series, but the third.

And I felt really dumb. But here I am confessing my groupie sin.

Sheesh.

Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Flux, by OSC (just about to start The Originist story).
Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
mph, consider yourself lucky to be able to afford/find so many books from the same author!
*counts blessings*
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Make Love the Bruce Campbell Way!

and

Dracula

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.