FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Curently reading... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Curently reading...
accio
Member # 3040

- posted      Profile for accio   Email accio         Edit/Delete Post 
Shadow of the Hegemon. I’m reading Shadow series again while I’m waiting for Shadow of the Giant’s release.
Posts: 333 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Popcornbaby
Member # 7046

- posted      Profile for Popcornbaby   Email Popcornbaby         Edit/Delete Post 
My friend just forced me to read Hawksong by Ameleia Atwater Rhodes. I loved it so now I'm reading the sequel, Snakecharm.

Also just finished up the Abhorsen trilogy by Garth Nix. The first book, Sabriel was the best, imo.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm almost finished with The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. Great book!
Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon, after other hatrackers recommended it. Surprisingly good.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dread Pendragon
Member # 7239

- posted      Profile for Dread Pendragon   Email Dread Pendragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm working on volume one of Dream of the Red Chamber (also called Story of the Stone) (English tranlations). I had read exerpts before in a class I had, and am finally going to read the whole thing. It is a pain at first because of the volume of characters and their relationships with each other, but it is surprisingly interesting.
Posts: 159 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Annie, I have read almost all of Wolfe's novels and a lot of his shorter fiction. He is my favorite author. Which is why I broke down and bought The Wizard, vol.2 of the Wizard Knight by wolfe. I think it's my only hardcover purchase in the last year. Noemon, it's as good or better than vol.1.

SteveR, good to see another hard-core sci-fi fan here! I haven't read any Welles in a while, I need to.

quote:
I found the The Dragobbone Chair , which I had loaned to a student who moved away. It is a great way to unload books, too
Elizabeth
Who was it that said 'only your friends steal your books'? [Razz]

edit:yes, maybe it was Twain.

[ February 05, 2005, 11:02 AM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Morbo, sounds like a Mark twain saying. ha ha.

I just loaned Game of Thrones to a friend, with a very clear threat of death if she does not return it.

I just finished Requiem of the Sun the fourth of Elizabeth Hydon's Rhapsody series. Ireally do love it, and I am glad i broke my promise to stop at book 3.

Now, I am reading the first of Michael Jecks' Knights of the Templar series. I am not really into it yet, but it is always hard for me to switch out of fantasy mode. Sometimes, aftr I finish a series, I can't read anything at all for months. I hate that.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urbanX
Member # 1450

- posted      Profile for urbanX   Email urbanX         Edit/Delete Post 
Right now I'm reading
The Long Dark Tea-time of the Soul-Douglas Adams
Enders Shadow-OSC

I Think I'm going to buy Catch 22 next.

Posts: 421 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Tea time is the sequel to Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, right? I hated Dirk, I read it 1/2 way then gave it up. Love Catch-22 ,though.

[ February 05, 2005, 11:12 AM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Now I'm onto Reservation Blues by Sherman Alexie. Fabulous, fabulous stuff.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
I just read Reservation Blues about a month ago. He writes more about the same characters in The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven. Both great books. Have you read anything by Thomas King? I imagine that you'd like his stuff, if you're a fan of Alexie.

I just finished Eleanor Rigby, by Douglas Coupland, and just started The Time Traveler's Wife.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urbanX
Member # 1450

- posted      Profile for urbanX   Email urbanX         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually am having trouble reading tea time. And yes it's the sequel to Dirk.
Posts: 421 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Selected Stories of Philip K Dick You gotta love that man.

Oh, and I just started reading the Lemony Snicket series with my son. He really enjoyed the first book (as did I!) and we're beginning the second book tomorrow night.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
A few books right now:

-Guns, Germs, and Steel -> Jared Diamond
-The Automatic Millionaire -> David Bach
-Shadow of the Giant -> Need I say?
-Slant -> Greg Bear

I have picked up a few others, but I put them down more often than Slant, so I did not include them.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I am reading, for the first time, The Mote in God's Eye by Niven. And enjoying it.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Oh, hello BELLE.
I am reading my 32 dollar hardcover "Elegy to a Lost Star" by Elizabeth Haydon, and already in agony waiting for book 6. Not that I blame you for this or anything.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
Gone With the Wind

don't I feel silly.. [Frown]

Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
^
|
|
|
|
Girly-man

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
"Stone of Farewell" by Tad Williams.

*rant* Why, oh why, does all cover art for fantasy and sci-fi novels have to completely suck? I was actually embarassed standing in line with the darn thing.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
LOL. That's hilarious! I don't think I've been embarassed by cover art yet, but I don't doubt that it's possible.

I'm reading Peter and the Starcatchers - Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson. I'm loving it, it's so funny and fast and cute. I love the ilustrations too, the one with "the Ladies" almost made me split my pants laughing. [Big Grin]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
"An American Story" by Debra Dickerson

Had to read it for a history class. But it's a really good story about a black woman who grew up in the St. Louis suburbs in the 70's. I never appreciated a lot about that mindset, and either way it's a good story, history major or not.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
Emma by Austen. I re-read Pride and Prejudice for my english class and really liked it. Emma is my aunt's favorite book. I thought that since I have a new found appreciation for Austen I should give it a shot.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, you should read Mansfield Park. That's my favorite Austen book. [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
I was planning on going through all fo Austen's novels. I will just make Mansfeild park the next one.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
Fitz, tell me how The Time Traveler's Wife goes.

I'm reading, An Equal Music by Vickram Seth, The End of the Affair by Graham Greene, and The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver.

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
What I thought of The Time Traveler's Wife.

I'm currently taking way longer than necessary to read Chronicle of a Death Foretold.

Edit: removed an extraneous hyphen

[ February 28, 2005, 12:20 AM: Message edited by: saxon75 ]

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the heads up on "The Time Traveler's Wife." With respect to Middlesex, the parts in Detroit, from the Nation of Islam through the riots, were the high-points of the book for me. The car chase at the end was just about the funniest car chase scene I've ever read. Everything else seemed to fall short, including the half-done explanation of Chapter 11's name. Wait, I did appreciate how the impetus of Chapter 11's change was not going to college but the feeling of dread that went along with his life being left up to the draft lottery.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm currently reading "Red Mars".
Oooooooo... so good!

*getting ready to read "Green Mars"*

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Selected Stories of Philip K Dick You gotta love that man.
True! [Big Grin]

And I'm reading "The Wind-up Bird Chronicles" by Haruki Murakami.

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't think I've been embarassed by cover art yet, but I don't doubt that it's possible.
Is this your way of telling us that you never bought any of the later Alvin Maker books?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't think I've been embarassed by cover art yet, but I don't doubt that it's possible.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is this your way of telling us that you never bought any of the later Alvin Maker books?

I was rereading them while I was waiting for Crystal City, and my friend kept making comments about me reading romance novels. [Blushing] [Grumble]

I just finished Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb, and I absolutely loved it. I can't wait to read the rest of the series and whatever else I can get my hands on. Now I'm reading something or other by Gene Wolfe. I'm having trouble getting into though.

Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
His Savageness
Member # 7428

- posted      Profile for His Savageness   Email His Savageness         Edit/Delete Post 
Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon
Posts: 194 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm currently reading "Red Mars".
So am I! I really enjoy it. I'm skipping the technical parts which would probably have interfered hugely with my enjoyment. What I like the most is the way the viewpoint switches from person to person and the way all of the characters see each other differently. I wish all books that switched viewpoints would do it as well as Robinson. Robert Jordan in particular would be rendered almost readable if he took advantage of the opportunities his million and one viewpoints offered.

Also reading Sunshine by Robin McKinley for the second time. Which is a wonderful book. Let me say right now that I don't do vampires. Period. I love this book, vampires or no vampires. Mostly I love that her characters are flawed and real, but that's not the point, that's just who they are. It seems like most authors feel that if their characters are going to be flawed there has to be a reason for the flaw, while in real life people are flawed just because that's human.

Crime and Punishment which I'm really enjoying, to my great surprise and pleasure.

Brothers in Arms by Lois McMaster Bujold, who is inching out the competition to become my all time favorite author. Her books are categorized as space opera, but in no way are they fluff.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
"Junk" by Melvin Burgess. Picked it up in the school library today when I was bored and couldn't put it down, tho I had to when the bell went for end of school. It's fantastic - gripping, well written, love the PoV switches. Will be finishing it tomorrow!
Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished the Rape of the Lock. For school.

Story about books: I went at a fantastic booksale where the books were disgustingly cheap (and then reduced to every book twenty five cents- needless to say I had a HUGE box just FULL of books [Smile] ) and was wandering around, minding my own business when this person (male, twenty-five-ish) comes up to me.

Him: "You like books, right?"
(This is before I got the box- I am balancing a stack of books that goes from my waist to just under my chin)
Me: "Um, (nervous laughter) yes."

He then proceeds to hand this book to me, it's called 'Pan' and it's by a Norwegian author called something like Knut Hamsen (in translation).

Him: "He's one of the best authors ever, Hemingway took a lot from him."
Me: "Oh... er...thanks..." (I flip through it)

This person kind of left me with it, smiling and walked away into the crowd. I looked for him, but I didn't see him.

So I figured this book was good, and it was, although not outstanding. But the thing that was most stunning was the fact this person had obviously found this book and had been looking around for someone who would likely enjoy said book/author.

I was pleased. [Smile]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

quote:
Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon
By the end of that book, I felt like those guys were my friends. I miss them.
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently discovered Vernor Vinge. I read Fire Upon the Deep, which I liked, and then the prequel, Deepness in the Sky, which was just as good. I then read The Peace War, which didn't do much for me. I am in the middle of Marooned in Realtime, its sequel, which I am enjoying much more.
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

Yay for Fire Upon the Deep !!! Didn't you love the tines and their world? I found it absolutely fascinating. What did you think of the prequel? I saw it last week but was afraid I'd be disappointed.

space opera

AntiCool
Member # 7386

I loved the prequel. The alien culture is too close to 20th-century earth to be believable, but one of the human cultures is sufficiently alien to make up for it.
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am reading my 32 dollar hardcover "Elegy to a Lost Star" by Elizabeth Haydon, and already in agony waiting for book 6. Not that I blame you for this or anything.
Sorry about that. [Blushing]

I won't spoil it for you - but Elegy, while good, was tough for me. Since you feel the same way about certain characters as I do, I'm sure you'll have the same reaction.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
I have been emberrased by cover art both the Alvin Maker series and a couple of the Wheel of Time books led some of my freinds to believe I had taken up romance novels. It took a week to convince them otherwise and the making fun of went on for months. [Roll Eyes]
I am currently reading the divinci code. Its decent but I don't think its the greatest most shocking book ever like everyone was shouting for a while their.

Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

I finished Marooned in Realtime. I enjoyed it, even though the ending didn't come together as much as I would have hoped.

I'm now reading some of Vinge's short fiction. I read "Fast Times as Ridgemont High", and am now reading "The Cookie Monster". It's been a long time since I've read short fiction, mostly because OSC doesn't write enough of it. Now I remember why I like it so much.

Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
I just picked up Clothar the Frank, by Jack Whyte, at the library today. Jack Whyte has a great take on Arthurian legend, and his stories are always pretty absorbing. Clothar is his intepretation of Lancelot. I'm eager to see how Whyte will handle the infamous Lancelot-Arthur-Guinevere love triange.

As for The Time Traveler's Wife, I enjoyed it quite a lot. It wasn't that it was very deeply engaging, but it was a fast-paced, energetic read, with great characters. I definitely recommend it.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
The Constitution of EU... I'll vote next mounth to say yes or no...
Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
What do you care what other people think? by Richard Feynman. I thought his series of narratives about investigating the cause of the Challenger explosion was fascinating.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Just finished Ilium, by Dan Simmons.

Still reading: Underground, by Haruki Murakami.

Should continue reading: Three men in a boat, by Jerome K. Jerome.

Edit: Can't wait to read: Shadow of the Giant.

[ April 21, 2005, 04:17 AM: Message edited by: Corwin ]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Just finished: "Beyond Recognition," a murder mystery sort of thing about an arsonist.

Chipping away a little at "The Redemption of Althalus," which I read about ten pages of between books. I should be done in 2007 or so.

I picked up two books for a buck. One is "The Icarus Girl,"by Helen Oyeyemi(yup-caught my eye because of our Icarus) and "How Evan Broke his Head and Other Secrets," by Garth Stein.

has anyone read these? They look pretty interesting. We shall see.

Emily W
Member # 7504

- posted      Profile for Emily W   Email Emily W         Edit/Delete Post 
Battle Royal by Koushun Takami

And I love Dune! It used to be my favortie series before I found Ender's Game.

Posts: 43 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Just Finished Reading - War for the Oaks by Emma Bull. Brilliant book about evil faeries and eighties rock music.

Now Reading - The Rise of Scientific Europe. Exam revision. Don't ask.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.