FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Jatraquero Recipe Site Thread - with request for new users on p. 9 (Page 6)

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  11  12  13   
Author Topic: The Jatraquero Recipe Site Thread - with request for new users on p. 9
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, hush, you whippersnapper you!
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

mothertree, you now have add/edit rights.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
THE GELATIN QUESTION:

Kosher gelatin contains no animal products, so it is vegan.

(I'm sort of surprised rivka didn't point this out. [Wink] )

It doesn't jell quite as hard as animal gelatin, but it works in recipes calling for gelatin.

HALAL: Just for the record, I think that anything that is kosher would also qualify as Halal, though the opposite is not true. At least, I have had friends who observed Halal who bought meat in the kosher butcher when Halal was not available.

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I thought some kosher gelatin was made with hides of animals slaughterd in a kosher-compliant fashion?

This is so confusing.

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, it's so pretty!

It doesn't say how many recipes are in each category, though. I suppose that's OK...

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

Dag, I can't tell if you are being facetious or serious. [Smile]

I have never seen a kosher gelatin made from animal products - and you can tell the difference cause it doesn't gel exactly the same as animal gelatin - it's softer and doesn't get a skin on it, like animal gelatins will if they are left for a couple days.

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
It doesn't say how many recipes are in each category, though. I suppose that's OK...
That made the list very ugly. Eventually I'll be adding pop-ups for each category, with descriptions and number of recipes.

Ela, rivka linked this site earlier in the thread. [Dont Know] This is clearly not my area of expertise.

Dagonee

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Dag, how do you fix the slashies in the title when you put quotes? *is technologically challenged*

Also, when we click an "other" category, weren't we supposed to be able to write in what it was?

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

As to the slashes, they are only showing up right after the recipe is saved - if you click on it later, the / isn't there. I just need to go in and debug it at some point, but since it's not permanent it's a low priority right now.

No to the second question. That's not a feature I've had time to add. Just put it in the description, and I'll make categories when we get enough entries.

Dagonee

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, okay. (It's in the title, anyway.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I'm not criticizing, Dag, by the way. I am in awe of you for doing all this. [Hail] I am just totally inept at stuff like this, as I said before.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Let me be sure I'm understanding this: is there a recipe you've already entered with a slash in the title that is still showing up? If so, let me know which one. Maybe the bug is worse than I thought.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

No, no, you're right, it only showed up a couple of times, I don't see it now. It does need a category, that's all. [Smile]
Dagonee
Member # 5818

OK, good. I like to hear about the problems. It means people are using it and care enough to see it fixed. It also allows me to fix the bugs.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, I already have a long list of things I'm going to make. Don't worry, it's being used. [Big Grin]
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, its a great site. I'll be throwing more recipes up there when I dig up my actual recipes, rather then "Oh, this would go well with that and maybe if I do... hrm... interesting" recipes.
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Ela, actually, the "kosher gelatins" that are vegan aren't gelatins at all. They're things like agar agar, carrageenan, and related compounds.

True kosher gelatin has been available for just over 10 years, and is either made from kosher beef hides (Kolatin) or fish skins (Norland).

And to the best of my understanding, the only thing that IS kosher but is NOT halal is alcohol.

[ January 31, 2005, 08:16 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Wow! ketchupqueen has been busy today - she's only two behind Annie's 16.

[Hail] kq and Annie

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

[Big Grin] I have more favorites and specialties; I either have to dig up a recipe or quantify them, then they'll be posted. Annie's look yummier than mine, though.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
HALAL: Just for the record, I think that anything that is kosher would also qualify as Halal, though the opposite is not true. At least, I have had friends who observed Halal who bought meat in the kosher butcher when Halal was not available.
It may be that those Muslims were more relaxed about Halal, but it doesn't make it true. Fahim said that he cannot eat kosher meat.

For chicken or beef or other animal products to be halal, they must be ritually slaughtered in a specific way and a prayer to Allah be said over them. The Jewish ritual isn't the same.

As mentioned by Rivka, alcohol is not halal.

I don't know the extent of Jewish law, but Muslims also cannot eat anything amphibious - no crocodiles, alligators, snake, crab.

But as far as recipes are concerned, like I've said before, I know how to make sure my ingredients are Halal, so it doesn't matter if they're labelled Halal or not.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

By "amphibious" you mean things that live on land and water, not the formal biological definition of "amphibian," right?

When I get the popup descriptions working, I'm going to ask you and rivka to "approve" wording for your respective categories - just general guidelines for people who don't follow the special diets to mark their recipes for you.

Dagonee

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
For chicken or beef or other animal products to be halal, they must be ritually slaughtered in a specific way and a prayer to Allah be said over them. The Jewish ritual isn't the same.
Very interesting, quid! The Muslims I've discussed this with in the past would accept kosher-slaughtered meat when halal-slaughtered was not available.

They must've been Conservative. [Wink]

As far as amphibious, there are no such critters that meet kosher guidelines.

Dags, the veal scallopini looks divine, but it calls for feta cheese . . . that would make it quite non-kosher. Well, there's probably soy feta, but even I am unlikely to try that. *shudder*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Rivka, it's adaptable by leaving the cheese out - it's added at the table, so I thought that was OK.

It is good, though. If you have vegetable stock, I'd suggest you make the spinach without meat and try the feta cheese. It gets just melty enough that it holds its shape and then disolves into gooey blobs in your mouth. [Smile]

Dagonee

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
it's added at the table, so I thought that was OK.
Do you mean because it's not actually cooked together? Because that wouldn't actually help.

I have LOTS of vegetable stock (I buy it every time Imagine's goes on sale), so I may try the spinach and feta -- or I may just try the veal and spinach.

Choices, choices. [Big Grin]

Ela
Member # 1365

quote:
Ela, actually, the "kosher gelatins" that are vegan aren't gelatins at all. They're things like agar agar, carrageenan, and related compounds.
Yeah, I knew that, but I have never seen real kosher gelatin, except in that link. Just as well, I don't care much for the real thing anyway. [Smile]

quote:
It may be that those Muslims were more relaxed about Halal, but it doesn't make it true. Fahim said that he cannot eat kosher meat.
Maybe they just didn't have access to Halal meat in the US and didn't want to give up meat altogether. As far as I know, they were pretty religious.

[ February 01, 2005, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: Ela ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Do you mean because it's not actually cooked together? Because that wouldn't actually help.
No - I mean because it's easy to leave off entirely. [Smile]
rivka
Member # 4859

Gotcha. Point taken. [Smile]

Ela, I think real gelatin (marshmallows! jello that really jiggles! gummi candy!) is wonderful stuff. S'ok if you don't like it -- more for me! [Big Grin]

[ February 01, 2005, 11:20 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Dags, how about a "full meal deal" category for those of us that give you a main recipe, the sides, and other nifty ideas.

This is great fun!

[Smile]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I was thinking of adding a suggested meal feature that would let you assemble multiple recipes into a single meal, but that will have to wait. In the meantime, though, we can put "goes well with" notes in the description, and even link to the related recipes with UBB code. [Smile]

[ February 01, 2005, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Nifty!
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Rivka, while we're talking about kosher, can you tell me about rules for serving kosher food? Disposable dishes and silverware, right? I don't quite remember (it's been a long time since I cooked kosher, when this was all explained to me). I'm sure I'll be able to get kosher food for DallasCon, since the meals we eat together will all be buffet-style anyway, but I'd like to know what I have to do to make sure it stays kosher once it's bought.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
By "amphibious" you mean things that live on land and water, not the formal biological definition of "amphibian," right?
No idea. [Razz] I was quoting Fahim, and he's busy being stressed out working, so I can't exactly ask him right now if I don't want the evil eye.

quote:
Maybe they just didn't have access to Halal meat in the US and didn't want to give up meat altogether. As far as I know, they were pretty religious.
That's possible. When Fahim lived in the US, he couldn't get Halal meat in his area either, so he mainly ate fish and eggs, which are always Halal.

I think it's a little like Buddhism. The strict adherents to Buddhism are supposed to be vegetarians, but there are a lot of Buddhists in this country who eat fish and chicken. They find a way of justifying it even though it's actually against their religion. Well, it's obviously not against their personal religious beliefs, just the religion as a whole. If that makes sense.

Islam is not an organized religion in the same sense that Catholocism or Mormonism or most Christian religions are. There's no requirement to be a member of a specific congregation, and Imams can preach things that are against the views of other Imams. There's no head of the Muslim religion dictating what the actual belief are. That's also why it's easy for these radical splinter groups to form. There's no one in authority - what they would recognize as authority - telling them they're wrong.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

There are 5 Halal butchers in my area (that I know of). Your friends should move to Dallas, Rivka. [Big Grin]
rivka
Member # 4859

Well, I use actual dishes. [Wink]

But yes, (unopened, preferably) packages of disposable paper/plastic goods would be perfect. [Smile] Also, all food must stay sealed in its packaging.

And I am fine with supplying myself for any meal(s) that hoi polloi desires non-kosher food. [Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

Oh, there are lots of halal butchers in L.A.! I believe we have a larger Muslim population than almost any other American city. (For the same reason we get lots of Israelis -- similar climate.)

These are online friends, actually. And the conversation(s) was a while back . . . not even 100% sure which forum it was. [Dont Know]

[ February 01, 2005, 11:50 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I figure we'll let people fend for themselves for breakfast (possibly provided by the hotel anyway for people other than you), have lunch together, maybe one communal dinner (possibly on Sunday, paid for in advance and the money given to someone who will drive and get food for all of us or something so LDSers and other Sunday Sabbath-keepers don't feel bad about buying food on Sunday? I haven't worked that out). What about kosher take-out? Do we just keep the take-out containers closed until we get it there? Is my word that it's from a restaurant certified kosher by the local authority good enough for you? [Wink]
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Fahim lived in the east - Michigan and Georgia. Might also have been a small community. Bigger centres usually means it's easier to find Halal.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
What about kosher take-out? Do we just keep the take-out containers closed until we get it there?
Sealed containers are good, and most kosher restaurants will happily seal them -- generally with stickers with the place's name and phone number. (Works well for advertising too.)
Ela
Member # 1365

quote:
Ela, I think real gelatin (marshmallows! jello that really jiggles! gummi candy!) is wonderful stuff. S'ok if you don't like it -- more for me!
Enjoy, Rivka. [Smile]

What I really can't stand is the way real gelatin gets this tough skin on it after it's in the fridge a couple days. Yuck!

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

It doesn't when you make it with applesauce. [Big Grin]
rivka
Member # 4859

I don't make jello all that often. But when I do, it doesn't sit in the fridge for days -- it gets eaten! [Big Grin]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Since I only make jello when someone's on a clear liquids or BRAT diet, unless it's a jello salad, I'd agree with that, Rivka. [Big Grin]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

One more thing, Rivka: if we wanted to have, say, a make your own sandwich thing, and we wanted to have both cheese and meat available, both of which are kosher on their own but not together, how much would we need to separate dairy from meat to keep it kosher? Just not in the same container, or not on the same table, or different sides of the room, or what?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Please? [Smile]
rivka
Member # 4859

Note to self: answer this when you get back home.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Thanks for acknowledging. [Smile]
rivka
Member # 4859

Ok, here's the thing with something like that. Separate (nearby) tables would be fine . . . except for the human issues. [Wink] That is, people who are unaccustomed to keeping kosher will tend to forget that the fork they just used to serve the salami shouldn't then be used on the cheddar (leaving small bits of salami behind).

Additionally, both kosher meat and kosher cheese are substantially more expensive than their non-kosher counterparts. So doing that sort of buffet with kosher meat and cheese would be (financially) unfair to everyone who doesn't keep kosher, and make me a bit uncomfortable as well.

While I really appreciate the thought, it might make more sense for me to just get my food separately. It worked out fine at Kamacon. [Smile] (Helped quite a bit by the fact that AJ ( [Hail] ) got many of the on-the-side items (chips, muffins, soda) that were kosher. But that might be easier in Chicago than in Dallas.)

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Since I'm planning on getting this stuff from Albertson's, it wouldn't be any more expensive than getting it from a non-kosher Albertson's deli. I was planning on doing something like this for lunch to begin with; it just makes it easier if everyone only has to fend for themselves for dinner, in my mind.

And besides, we're getting a mega-refund from the IRS this year. Hooray for EIC!!!

rivka
Member # 4859

Albertson's prices for kosher deli and cheese are the same as for non-kosher? *jawdrop*

That's it. I'm moving!

Ok, then probably the simplest thing is just for me to take first, and then let y'all do whatever you want. [Wink] That seem reasonable?

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I've been to that Albertson's; they even out the prices by raising the price slightly at each Albertson's in the area instead of charging way higher at one. [Smile]
  This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.