FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Oscars - what were they thinking?

Author Topic: Oscars - what were they thinking?
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I just wanted to open up discussion on the Oscars that didn't revolve around a caps-lock debate.

So, yeah. How about my guilty Classics pleasure getting a costume nod? I'd much prefer the lack-of-costume nomination, but I suppose even people who cover up beautiful men deserve credit somewhere.

And I'm very pleased at the nods for Eternal Sunshine - the Best Actress was unexpected.

Predictions?

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I hear that Neverland got several nominations. I have not seen it, but a fellow co-worker says I should..

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Neverland. As a result of Hatrack, I'm annoyed that Million Dollar Baby got so many.

I have seen almost none of the other movies nominated, except for the fabulous Eternal Sunshine. I need to fix that.

I'm sad that Jim Carrey wasn't nominated for Eternal Sunshine. They are never going to forgive him for Ace Ventura, are they? He deserved to be - he did an outstanding, incredible job in that movie.

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Carrey was very good, but this year was a pretty tough field. There's a strong case for him (probably replacing Depp), but it's not like there's any real question of who will win. Foxx has this one sewn up.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

I need to see Ray. I heard he practically channeled Ray Charles in a role where he couldn't use his eyes. I hope it's also a good movie.

Yeah, it's a tough field. I wouldn't take Johnny Depp, and I didn't see the other movies so I shouldn't vote. Still, Carrey was amazing. I was more than half in love with him myself by the end of the movie; at least, I would have been if I hadn't dated someone exactly like that once. Unlike Clem, I had no desire to repeat the experience.

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
kat, Ray is incredible. If Jamie Foxx doesn't win the Oscar, he will have been robbed, IMO. 'course, I haven't yet seen any of the other films on the Best Actor list, but still... [Smile]
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Well of course you were in love with him, you were seeing him through the distorted lense of his own memories, can you get closer to the first person in a movie [Razz]

I actually haven't seen all of the movies nominated either, I hadn't even heard of Hotel Rwanda until now. So, in that sense, maybe I shouldn't be voting either [Wink]

But yes, you must go and see Ray. And don't buy the large pop, the movie is 2 1/2 hours long and a large pop is larger than the average human's bladder. You won't be able to make it through the film [Wink]

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

*laugh* I'll keep that in mind. [Smile]
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a good thing we never dated kat, because I am totally like that character. [Wink] And my husband is not unlike Clementine. Once you get to know him.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

I think part of the reason I loved that movie so much is that I've been both characters. I've been the mainstream, fairly-boring, adrift person who fell in love with someone who seemed to me to be exciting and adventurous and full of theories and life, and I've been Clem - the savior girl who opened up the world of somebody but then couldn't take the constant pressure of having to be fascinating. I just loved that movie for showing why both roles are so appealing, but unlike the characters, I wouldn't repeat either experience.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I guess I don't consume enough popular culture. I've only seen three of the movies nominated for anything -- Incredibles, Shreck 2, and Harry Potter.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
but then couldn't take the constant pressure of having to be fascinating.
Amen. This has been a problem for me before... since I am usually an "up," happy, funny person I've been in situations where people expect me to be that way all the time, and don't understand that everyone is going to have their down times, or quiet times. And in a relationship, you can't be "on" all the time. It just doesn't work that way. And I've felt pressure to do so, and ended up resenting the person because of it.

Obviously, communication is important in situations like this, but sometimes you're just talking past each other and no matter how much you realize it you can't get past it.

Um, yeah. I liked Neverland. Haven't seen Eternal Sunshine. Maybe I will.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

ElJay, you'll love it. [Smile] It was painful with recognition. Just like great art should be.
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Well let's see how Eternal Sunshine fits into the Starship Enterprise Personality Rubric(TM). Clem is definitely the Kirk/Riker/Neelix. I can't remember the Jim Carrey character's name. But he was more Picard/everyone on DS9/Chakotay. Sort of a Spock character, in one of the (surprisingly frequent) episodes where he has emotions. So who are Patrick and Mary?
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen 5 movies that have been nominated Harry Potter, Incredibles, Spiderman 2, Shrek 2, and I, Robot. Some of the movies I had never heard of.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
I have Eternal Sunshine on DVD, ElJay. We can watch it together if you'd like.
Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed a couple nominations for The Passion, somehow though it doesn't really seem appropriate, giving The Passion an award for makeup... I don't know. I wonder what Mel Gibson will do about it. Probably just accept it and move on with his life, huh? [Dont Know]

Eternal Sunshine was unexpected for best actress indeed! Personally though I think the important award for that film is orginal screenplay.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Ohh, and it's interesting to note that Mr. Foxx has two nominations, Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor (the latter for COLLATERAL).

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Cool, I3. I note that you wisely don't offer to loan it to me. [Big Grin]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I will lose all faith in the system if Incredibles doesn't win for animated feature. :/

And also, since when is "Accidentally In Love" a good enough song to win an Oscar!?

And I think "Million Dollar Baby" might just be there to pad it out, like The Last Samurai was. It probably won't win anything.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly Ryuko, I think Fiding Neverland is playing that role this year: the film, the director, Johnny Depp and the score now hold Golden Globe, Bafta and Oscar nominations, and it has not yet won anything.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Cool, I3. I note that you wisely don't offer to loan it to me. [Big Grin]

Well, uh, yeah. Hehe. You have had Magnolia for a while.

I always am looking for more excuses to get together with my friends, too. [Smile]

[Edit: Splelnig]

[ January 25, 2005, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: Intelligence3 ]

Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
Count on Scorsese winning the Oscar this time.
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, I think Clint Eastwood'll win Director. The Academy has a tradition of giving cumulative Oscars, and with his duo of Mystic River and Million Dollar Baby, he's got a very very real chance at it. Scorcese... well... he's just got cruddy luck.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

Didn't OSC use best makeup as a hypothetical crap Oscar that The Passion might get?
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Teshi, I totally agree with you about Neverland being the padding nomination. I'm sad about that, it's such a moving and beautiful piece of work. It can't stand up to the glitz and 'message' of the others. Just like Jonny Depp's fantastic and understated performance can't stand up to the "yowza!" transformation that Foxx had to go through for Ray. I'm not saying that Foxx doesn't deserve it, think he's fabulous, but I don't think he's the better actor. [Frown] It's just the roles and films and stories, stacked up next to each other...and some just attract more attention than others do. (I feel the same way about Kate Winslet's performance...I don't think she'll win, but wow. What an actress. She's consistently dynamite.)

The Academy has done well with the best score nominations and wins in the past and I"m happy to see both James Newton Howard on the list for "The Village" and Thomas Newman for "Series of Unfortunate Events." Two, amazing scores that perfectly catch the spirit of their respective films.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I really want Johnny Depp to win just this one time. He has never won and oscar ever and that is unfair.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Finding Neverland was a great movie and I hope it gets as many oscars as it can hold. I really want Depp to get one, seeing as how he was gypped last year for PotC.

I haven't seen Ray, but everyone I know (and some I don't) say it's a deeply awesome movie. I'm afraid that if I see it before the Academy Awards, it'll sway my loyalties for Best Actor.

[ January 25, 2005, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Ray was completely amazing, both from an informational standpoint....I had no idea who Ray Charles was before seeing that, beyond that old blind guy behind the piano....and from an acting standpoint.

He looked more Ray Charles then Ray Charles did.
[Big Grin]

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I really want Johnny Depp to win just this one time. He has never won and oscar ever and that is unfair.
The thing with JD is that every movie he makes exemplifies great acting. How to choose which one(s) deserve/s an award?

I also want to see him get an Award for something truly stunning. PotC I think was stunning, Finding Neverland was great, but not mindblowing.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't been around, so I haven't seen the Million Dollar Baby thread. However, I thought it was a decidedly mediocre effort. Eternal Sunshine, in my opinion, was should be in its place. It's Almost Famous all over again.

I wonder where Boundin' is. Maybe they didn't submit it because they thought they wouldn't get both Animated Feature and Short Film (Animated).

Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Give him an award for everything. JD doesn't get any props and that isn't fair. He's my favourite.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
The awards according to Nathan (a dude who likes movies, but hasn't seen every one nominated)

Best Actor:

Who Will Win: Jamie Foxx.

Phenomenal Job. With the exception of Hotel Rwanda, I've seen the other movies, and while Depp and DiCaprio put up a decent fight for the title, Foxx's preformance demands the award.

Animated film:

Who will win: Hard to say.

It's very possible Shrek 2 might win this, however The Incredibles is infinately better.

Directing:

Scorcese.

Make up:

Passion of the Christ

Music:

Finding Neverland.

Best Picture:

I want Finding Neverland to, but I doubt it will. For me it was the best picture, but the award is going to go to The Aviator.

Visual Effects:

Spiderman 2

Writing (adapted screenplay):

Sideways

Writing (original):

I'd like to see Eternal Sunshine get this, but it will probably go to Aviator.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, being nominated in both categories could mean no Oscar.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

Best Picture might go to Sideways, Nathan. It's at the top of quite a few critics' lists this year.

I still think it should go to Eternal Sunshine.

[ January 26, 2005, 01:02 AM: Message edited by: narrativium ]

Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone catch Foxx's Golden Globe acceptance speech? It was all like 'Yeah, boyeeee. A big shout-out to my homey, blah, blah, blah.' I mean, jebus, man, represent a little better, k?
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

quote:
For her part, Staunton measured her delight by saying, ''On a scale of one to a million, it's nearer the latter.'' Asked if the Oscar nomination for Best Actress would change her life, the petite 49-year-old said, ''Oh yes, I won't be doing any cooking. I'm going to get servants and slaves, and I'm going to get very tall. That's my ambition.''
Heh. That's Imelda Staunton's reaction to being nominated for Vera Drake.
narrativium
Member # 3230

[ROFL]

I like that woman already. Now I guess I have to go see Vera Drake.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.