FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Nipponese? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Nipponese?
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
What's the deal with this word? Morbo used it in Bob's "Musings" thread, and I know that Neal Stephenson tends to use it in his novels. How long has it been around? (I never encountered it before about a year or two ago.) Why prefer it over "Japanese"? I understand that the Japanese don't call Japan "Japan"; they call it Nippon or Nihon. But they don't call themselves "Nipponese" either. The word in Japanese is nihonjin. So if you're going to be using a non-native word either way, why go with the one that is more likely not to be understood?
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Spanglish is fun to use.
Konglish is very fun to use.
I assume people are now experimenting with "Jaglish," "Japglish," or "Englonese" What would combining Japanese with English be called?

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
Janglish, It just sounds cool

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

Janglish..hmmm. I like that!

I think "Nipponese" sounds cooler then either Japanese and Nihonjin.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that Engrish is tons of fun.
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Bleh. I hate words like that. Also, Japanimation.

Engrish is the hilarity, though.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
It's been in use for 144 years.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

You know, I had a feeling that it wasn't a new word. What I'm wondering is whether it's been in use before and I've just been oblivious, or whether it's seeing some sort of resurgence. I've definitely never heard a Japanese or Japanese-American person use the term, and I've only heard a non-Japanese person use it very recently.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Engrish is the hilarity, though.
Absolutely. Though I'm sure it makes me a racist.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

You and me both, babe.
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I knew YOU were a racist. I'm just surprised about me.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If we all could just admit
That we are racist a little bit
Even though we all know that it's wrong
Maybe it would help us get along.

Avenue Q
"Everyone's a Little Bit Racist"

Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
Nipponese is a lot closer to "Nihonjin" than "Japanese" is, so it works for me.
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

Every time I see that word it irritates me, kind of like how being called "Oriental" bothers some Asians. I may be in the minority, though. I have no idea how other Japanese or Japanese-Americans feel.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
"Oriental" makes me vaguely uncomfortable, and I'm not of Asian heritage.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

I have never understood why "Oriental" is offensive.

After all, doesn't it just mean "Eastern"? What's offensive about that? It just refers to an area of the globe, just like Asian.

[ February 16, 2005, 03:12 PM: Message edited by: AntiCool ]

Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
This Engrish?
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

Yes.
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll start calling myself Occidental if that helps.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

quote:
I have never understood why "Oriental" is offensive.

After all, doesn't it just mean "Eastern"? What's offensive about that? It just refers to an area of the globe, just like Asian.

I think it is offensive because it is used to classify hundreds of cultures into one all encompassing stereotype. When I hear oriental, I think short, slanty eyes, and salty food. It is racist (or at least ignorant) by nature.

Look at oriental seasoning. What is oriental flavored raman? It is as ridiculous as "western flavored" raman. We don't have western flavored raman because no convincing stereotype of the West could be packaged into a 1inch x 1inch square packet.

[ February 16, 2005, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: lem ]

narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We don't have western flavored raman because no convincing stereotype of the West could be packaged into a 1inch x 1inch square packet.
Is that a challenge? Because I think I could think of something. [Razz]
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

By that reasoning, "Asian" is equally as offensive.

Personally, I've never found "Oriental" particularly bothersome.

Edit: That was to lem.

[ February 16, 2005, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: saxon75 ]

AntiCool
Member # 7386

quote:
By that reasoning, "Asian" is equally as offensive.
Exactly my point.
saxon75
Member # 4589

What I've most often heard is that the term "Oriental" is properly applied to objects, not people, and so applying it to people is offensive. I don't really understand that one either.

My best guess is that the term implies some sort of Euro-centric viewpoint that classifies the Orient (or, the East) as "other," but that's stretching.

Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I used "Nipponese" because Japanese refer to their country as Nippon.
I certainly didn't mean to be offensive, I was trying to be hyper-PC.

You're right that Stephenson uses the term, which is probably why the distinction was on my mind, as I have read lots of his work in past year.

Someone, I think it was Stephenson in Cryptonomicon, describes a character who always thought that Germans spoke German and lived in Germany, then when he gets there, finds that everyone considers themselves Deutsche speaking Deutsch and living in Deutschland.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

Truthfully, all the Japanese people I know call it Nihon. And they've said that no one around them calls it Nippon. Nippon is sort of frowned upon because it hearkens back to the old, take-over-the-entire-world, WWII days, as far as I recall.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

While I was trying to spell Deutsch I found this website: German Words to Avoid--a special glossary
quote:
Gestures (Gesten, Handzeichen)
While we don't include inappropriate gestures in this glossary, you should know that some hand signs or gestures are universal, but others are not. In some parts of the world, the American OK sign (finger and thumb forming an "O") is an insult having to do with a body orifice. If a German taps his/her forehead with the index finger in someone's direction, that is a bad thing (meaning the other person is an idiot), and punishable by a fine if a policeman sees it or someone files charges.

I know gestures and body language are tricky and different from culture to culture.
I had heard of the "OK" gesture being obscene in some cultures, and tapping the forehead can mean someone is stupid or insane in many cultures. But you can be fined just for tapping your forehead and pointing? That seems a mite draconian. [No No] [Roll Eyes]

[ February 16, 2005, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

Thanks for the feedback, Saxon and Ry. I guess I'll go back to "Japanese."

Mike, this reminds me, I haven't been back to http://www.sakeriver.com/ since I got internet at home a few days ago, I'll try to click by today or tomorrow.

saxon75
Member # 4589

quote:
I certainly didn't mean to be offensive, I was trying to be hyper-PC.
I know. And I didn't mean for this thread to be pointed at you in specific, more at the term itself. And really it doesn't offend me so much as sort of annoy me. Don't worry about it; we're cool.

quote:
I haven't been back to http://www.sakeriver.com/ since I got internet at home a few days ago, I'll try to click by today or tomorrow.
The door's always open.
Morbo
Member # 5309

Great! [Smile]
skillery
Member # 6209

Ryuko:

quote:
"Nippon" is sort of frowned upon because it hearkens back to the old, take-over-the-entire-world, WWII days
During the Salt Lake Winter Olympics the Japanese expatriates at my company had special bumper stickers made up that said: "ganbare nippon!" That means "go Japan!" When I read the bumper sticker aloud as "ganbare nihon," one of my co-workers corrected me and said that when it's used in that context, I becomes "nippon," even though the characters are the same.

Morbo, you know that trick in which you "steal" a kids nose and pretend to have it trapped between your index and middle finger? When in Japan don't ever stick your thumb between your index and middle finger.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

I went and asked my Japanese sister-in-law what she thinks about the word "nipponese". She started laughing. She assures me that it sounds completely stupid. Apparently, to her it sounds about as silly as "Japango" (the inverse of "Nipponese") sounds to me.
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting that Nipponese is of such relatively recent origin.
I'd seen it as auction jargon apparently used to label Japanese lacquerware, paintings, pottery, kimonos , metalwork, jewelry, etc that had been imported rather early into Europe: ie the period beginning around the time when the Shogun's delegation first presented itself to the Court of Elizabeth the First, and ending sometime between the MeijiRestoration and the Russo-JapaneseWar when Japan became fully recognized as a modern industrial nation.

Stephenson's use of Nipponese is likely to be a deliberate (though not malicious) juxtaposition of the pre1945 Empire and the late'70s through the 80's mantra* of "Japan is gonna take over the world". The latter was in reference to its extremely favorable trade balances and huge reserves of foreign currency and treasury bonds; as well as Japan's increasingly rapid inroads into high-tech previously dominated by Americans and to a lesser extent the Europeans.

So when cyberpunk (which began in the late '60s) exploded in popularity during the '80s with the appearance of BladeRunner and Neuromancer, the milieu of the Japanese-Commercial-Empire-dominating-future-culture was adopted into the genre.
Hence the shorthand comparison between pre1945 Japan and the postAmericanEmpire world of commercial Japan.

* Mostly from American conservatives and neo"conservative"s, along with some Europeans. And heavily covered by the "liberal"media: I think Newsweek and Time were amongst the many who used the RisingSun battleflag on their covers.

[ February 17, 2005, 01:05 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

I want to hear the history of how "otaku" (enthusiast) and "otakki" (geek) made it into the American English lexicon.

Edit: Never mind; we've talked about this before. "Otakki" is a new one, however, and I had a good laugh when I first heard it.

[ February 16, 2005, 11:07 PM: Message edited by: skillery ]

skillery
Member # 6209

The etymology of otaku and otakki found here.
Ryuko
Member # 5125

Maybe I was making an undue generalization... Probably I should have said that it's used in the sense of nationalistic pride. I misspoke... :/
skillery
Member # 6209

No Ryuko, you were dead on. I often observe the "take-over-the-entire-world" attitude in my co-workers. Their reasoning for this attitude is that: "Japan is a narrow country with many people; therefore, we must be more aggressive in the marketplace." It sometimes seems to me that they are still fighting WWII, only on a different front.
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally refer to myself as "Japanese." I hadn't even heard "Nipponese" until recently. It sounds odd to me, though not offensive.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

Question, Shigosei: you are half Japanese, correct? Do you ever refer to yourself as white?
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I second the confusion about "Oriental" being offensive. We talk about Western and Eastern cultures and perspectives and whatnot. I have always thought the words "Oriental" and "Occiental" sounded beautiful and exotic. I have no negative connotations with the word.

I assume "Oriental" is only offensive because it was at some point in time used commonly in an offensive way and still carries the taint of negative connotation. I hate when that happens to cool words. [Frown]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

What rarely happens to white American citizens is being asked the question "What are you?", with the answer (eg occupation, avocation, sport, hobby, area of study, etc) not being accepted as complete until an ethnic background is given.

[ February 17, 2005, 12:56 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a PC term for Asians from the Indian subcontinent? Somehow I doubt my Bangladeshi friends would appreciate being called Indians. I have heard them (Bangladeshi) refer to themselves (Indians and Bangladeshi) as "brown people" but I do not know if it would be offensive if a white person used the term. Similarly, is there a PC term to encompass the general Asian phenotype? Oriental is what I would have used but that is out.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

If I want to know where their ancestors come from, I ask "what ethnicity are you?"
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I never heard the term Nipponese until I watched "Windtalkers" on A&E this week-end. In that context, it sounded like a slur, since they used it along with "Japs" and "Nips" (as in "I want to kill me some").

The other Maui epidemiologist is a Japanese national. I've never heard her refer to Japan as Nippon or anything else, always Japan, and she certainly describes herself as Japanese.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

AntiCool: I typically refer to myself as bi-racial, or "half-Japanese, half-white" (sometimes I specify German/English). Also, sometimes I have to put "other" on applications, though "multiracial" is becoming more common as an option.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

So is that a no?
Shigosei
Member # 3831

No, I don't refer to myself as white. Nor do I refer to myself as Japanese, actually. I was being lazy in my first post.
aspectre
Member # 2222

Oriental went out of use* in refering to people during the racial-name concious '60s via "Things are oriental. People are Asian."

* Along with other perjoritives-when-used-by-outsiders referring to those of NativeAmerican, Jewish, Italian, MiddleEastern, German, Irish, African, Japanese, Polish, Latino, etc ancestry.

[ February 17, 2005, 12:37 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone who wants to can call me occidental. I'm cool with it. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

I still don't see the reasoning behind the statement that things are oriental and people are asian.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.